Start by marking “The Broken H (Ranch #2)” as Want to Read:
The Broken H (Ranch #2)

The Broken H (Ranch #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  3,511 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Sheriff Grayson Hunter hasn’t felt like he belonged for a long time. Once he loved The Broken H, his ancestral home and Shane Cortez with all that he was. Now he tries to stay as far away from the ranch and the man as possible until an accident brings them together.

Shane Cortez has been the Broken H’s foreman for going on twenty years, he’s lived on the ranch for even long
Published September 2006 by Loose ID (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Broken H, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken H

Daisiemae
Oct 21, 2008 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: J.L.Langley Fans
Recommended to Daisiemae by: I love this author
The Broken H is the second book in the Ranch Series. I loved the Tin Star, and enjoyed The Broken H as much as the first book!
Sheriff Grayson Hunter has been avoiding coming home for any length of time, to the Broken H for years. Although he loves his parents, his unrequited love for the foreman Shane Cortez has kept him away.
When Grayson's father has a heart attack, Grayson returns home and immediately knows that his feelings for the sexy Shane has not changed throughout the years. Surprisingly
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***2 Stars***

This was a hard one to get through. Awkward writing, awkward dialogue, one dimensional characters, underdeveloped plot...and the list goes on and on.

Shane came to the ranch as a 16 year old runaway after his parents cast him out for announcing he's gay. When Shane came to the ranch, Grayson was a curious and rambunctious 3 year old. The two formed an instant bond, but once Grayson hit puberty and those hormones came rolling in, he started to see Shane in a whole new light. When Gra
Dina
Jun 02, 2010 Dina rated it liked it
Recommended to Dina by: UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~*
As the sequel to The Tin Star, The Broken H features Sheriff Grayson Hunter, who played a secondary character in the previous book, and Shane Cortez, the man he's loved all his life.

Shane has been part of Gray's life since Shane was sixteen and Gray was three, when Gray's parents took an almost starving and battered Shane off the street and offered him a home to live. Despite the big age difference between them, the two boys became inseparable friends almost immediately. That changed when Gray t
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Some steam, some drama, but more typos and awkward dialogue. While I didn't love the plot points regarding the pregnancy and Gray's re-election (both were resolved way too easily), I could have overlooked them if the book had been better written. But the writing really got in the way of the story; there was so much telling and internal monologuing in the third person that pulled me out of the book over and over.

Sexy Native American ranch foreman, Shane, is reunited with his childhood "
Brenda (b)
A great story. Neither Grayson nor Shane denied who they were or that they loved each other. It's basically a slice of life story that centers on them settling into their new relationship.

4-6-09 I re-read this and enjoyed it as much as before. Gray and Shane are so good together and they deserve all the happiness they found together. And Gray's little "fetishes" about Shane's hair and glasses were still amusing too.
I also read the deleted scenes that can be found here:
Awilk -never sleeps-
This was a quick, hot little read, but I am afraid I found it a little lacking. I loved The Tin Star so I jumped straight to this one.

This book was a really quick read, which is good, but nothing really seemed to happen. The drama that happened didn't really get off the ground.

I don't regret reading this, as I liked both of the main characters, but I am glad I read The Tin Star first, as I am not sure if this one was first if I would have read any more of this author.
Karla
Mar 04, 2012 Karla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars! Not quite as good as the first one in the series. While The Tin Star focused on the relationship with an awesome steam factor, this one seemed to be all about the sex. I just wasn’t feeling the chemistry between Grayson and Shane. I liked them both as individuals, but not as a couple and I can’t quite place my finger on why that was. It might have something to do with the fact the Shane helped raise Gray. They came into each other’s lives when Shane was 17 and Gray was 4. The 13 year ...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Jan 05, 2011 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it did not like it
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/46...
1.5 stars maybe...but rounded to one because of all the editing mistakes, way too many to ignore, especially when the story is not good

too much boring sex not any enough plot

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
OMG!!!! I loved this story!!! it was So GOOD!!!!
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
My Rating: 3.5 of 5

Grayson Hunter has stayed away from his parents’ home as much as he could since he left it years before - not because he has a problem with his parents, but because he’s been in love with the ranch’s foreman, Shane Cortez since he was a teenager. When Gray’s father suffers a heart attack, Gray and Shane are thrown together again when Gray comes home to help with the ranch.

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the first in series The Tin Star. The plot wasn’t quite as engagin
Kerry  sullivan
Apr 14, 2012 Kerry sullivan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gblt, romance, cowboys
OMG how much did I love this book, it had it all, a man in uniform and a dark handsome man and red hot love with a damn good story to top it off. I read this because it was on the reading list of one of my favourite authors, Andrew Grey, and I have to say I was not disappointed. I loved book 1, also on the same authors reading list, and found this one just as compelling. Watching Shane claim Grayson was really something, to see all the misunderstandings come crashing down was beautiful and it is ...more
Writerlibrarian
This is a really nice domestic fluffy gay romance novel. Not much happens, they met again after many years estrange, they fall into bed, they live their lives. The end. It's lovely fluff. If you liked Tin Star you'll like this one probably more since neither of the guys are acting like Jaimie who was more like I am gay hear me roar or something. Nothing like that here. Shane and Gray are just two people in love, living their lives and trying to make each other happy. Sounds boring but it's not.
Alina
Sep 23, 2011 Alina rated it it was amazing
Loved this book every bit as much as the first one! Sweet and cute story, peppered with a little angsty moments and very hot sex scenes! :) The characters were sweet and adorable and I want a sequel about John and McCabe!!! I think they'd be great couple :)
Kati
Feb 27, 2008 Kati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very light reading, more of a gay Harlequin than anything else. I would have preferred less sex and more plot development - Gray's election, Shane's family problems - and more suspense but I think that in the end, the book was exactly what I expected it to be so I'm quite content with it.
Alvin
Same formula. Enjoyable but Still a little unrealistic.

Is there a Royal and John story? More gay Cowboys please!!!

3.5 STARS
Èmina
Second book in the Ranch series did nothing really for me...the story felt tame and thin, nothing really happened except that they had lots and lots of sex which felt too similar to the first book (except there were few kinks added in this one). There was the whole pregnancy deal and coming out but that was a very little part of this book and not really exciting at all.
There were too many things that bothered me in the book...here are few of them:

- Shane was worried that if people found out tha
Kate Roman
May 14, 2009 Kate Roman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance, cowboys
I don't know if anyone on my f-list has noticed, but I'm sort of a fan of male/male romance.

Mmm...okay, that's kind of an understatement. I'm a huge fan of male/male romance. A friend and I were talking about this the other day (she's similarly inclined), and we were trying to to figure out what makes man/man so much hotter than het, at least for us. We couldn't decide whether it's our sheer relief at not having a main character obsessed with marriage and babies (which I just don't want in what'
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

Sheriff Grayson Hunter (yum) is the only son and heir and to The Broken H ranch. Shane Cortez is The Broken H’s foreman and the object of Gray’s desires. Shane was a runaway teen abandoned by his biological Apache family when the Hunters took him in; Shane is 13 years Grays’ senior, gay, and in the closet. Gray has had an unrequited crush on Shane since he was 17-years-old. He has avoided his ancestral home for the past 12 years because it hurts too much to see Shane. When Gray’s dad su
Gerry Burnie
As a self-proclaimed homoerotic novel—“one-handed reads,” as I refer to them—The Broken H, by J.L. Langley [Loose Id LLC 2007] is better than some. Oh, there are plenty of sex scenes (15 in all, give or take one or two), but journalistically speaking the writing is quite solid, and the author has made an attempt to build a plot between the romps in the sack. Admittedly the plot is a bit short on originality, but the point is that there is one.

Shane Cortez is a runaway with a mysterious past—alth
Nichole (Dirrty H)
I must admit, I was a little disappointed in this book. I loved The Tin Star so much!
This story was still good - it had a lot of J.L.'s personality and was a fun read, but it was just kind of lacking.
I chalk it up to two things:
1. I didn't like the characters as well. Gray was alright, but he didn't jump off the page the way Jamie and Ethan did. And I never was able to connect with Shane. He just didn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm just a little prejudiced, but I prefer reading about the under
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
It was a cute and entertaining story, but it didn't have much substance in my opinion. First of all, the two protagonists have suddenly sex after 11 years during which they weren't close. There is a stressful event - Gray's father has had a heart attach - but it's not depicted in a way that makes you think Shane and Gray need sexual healing to overcome it. At the beginning the conflict seems to come from the age gap between Gray and Shane and Gray's doubts about Shane's sexuality, but they're re ...more
Beck
May 15, 2012 Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mm, cowboy
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

I was surprised when I started reading this book because I didn't expect a sequel to focus so intently on a secondary character from 'The Tin Star'. This book is the story of Grayson (the sheriff) & a new character, Shane.

This was a relatively angst-free romance. There were a couple of WTF?! moments but overall it was a sweet, undemanding read. This book could easily be read as a stand-alone title & if you want to read more about Jamie & Ethan you will proba
Scott
Sep 16, 2009 Scott rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Where to start.

1. J.L. Langley needs an editor. The mistakes were obvious, profuse, and very distracting.

2. Plot - sickeningly and grossly over sweet with no depth.

3. I can't stand switching first person singular mid-paragraph. It drives me CRAZY figuring out who said/did/felt what...

4. Overall, it was just boring.

I was dissappointed.
L-D
3.5 stars.

This story wasn't too bad. In Tin Star, Jamie and Ethan were the subjects of some hate crimes which were investigated by the local Sheriff, Grayson Hunter. This is Grayson's story. Over a decade ago Grayson left his ranch, The Broken H, after kissing the foreman and not receiving a reaction. Embarrassed that his long-time crush is unrequited, he goes on the rodeo circuit, goes to college, and then goes into law enforcement. Eventually fate brings him back to his hometown where he is el
Jimmy Hanson
May 21, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, m-m
"3.5"

Pretty cute/sweet in it's own right, the "Broken H" taken on it's own isn't bad. There's not much of a plot, a great deal of action is lacking and seems to be centered around a girl accusing Shane of getting her prego and her da getting border-line nutzo about it.

The two main charas - Shane and Gray - jump in the sack within the first 23 pages which kind of surprised me. I guess I expected a little more of a push-and-pull to it, which is half of why I look forward to J.L. Langley's novels;
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Come avevamo già visto con Jamie ed Ethan del Ranch Tin Star, fare coming out nel bel mezzo della Bible Belt non è una grande idea, ma qui Grey è anche lo sceriffo del posto. Nonostante le premesse, tra Shane e Gray la storia è molto più “semplice” e meno ricca di drammi.

Occhiate storte e ostracismo cittadino non mancano mai, ma a mio parere la situazione è meno tesa rispetto al libro precedente. Nulla è mai tutto rose e fiori, le situazioni complicate n
Amarilli Settantatre
Sep 21, 2015 Amarilli Settantatre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Sollevò lo sguardo su un paio d’occhi dello stesso colore dell’erba e ingoiò il groppo che gli si formò in gola. Perché, dopo tutti quegli anni, Gray gli faceva ancora quell’effetto?

Mentre il Ranch Tin Star non mi aveva preso più di tanto, il Broken H è decisamente un gran bel posto da ammirare.
Diciamo pure che qui vengono da subito sfoderati due personaggi che non ti possono lasciare indifferente: Grayson, un giovane sceriffo occhi verdi e assassini e - mi sudano l
_inbetween_
Jun 12, 2008 _inbetween_ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My friend underestimated how much this book would bore me, and I'm surprised she was able to stomach the awful spelling, typing and vocab mistakes. JL is one of the established beings writing m/m (note how it's not even called gay anymore), and like the rest of these authors her men are just pouring out their exceptional eternal love at every moment. The two men are both cut, have both very little body-hair, have both very masculine jobs (that are never explored or described), have soft kinks th ...more
Charlie Richards
Apr 25, 2011 Charlie Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: will-read-again
Absolutely wonderful sequel! I loved the antagonism between Gray and Shane as they find their way as a couple. Shane's protective instincts where Gray is concerned causes so much entertaining contension. Especially since Gray feels almost the same overprotectiveness for Shane. The acceptance they experience from some is offset well by the bigotry and persecution they face from others. This fast-paced tale explores the depths of forgiveness, communication, and love. I loved this story!
Bookobsessed
Shane and Gray grew up like family until Gray's feelings changed. He left for many years and even after he returned to town, he did not repair his relationship with Shane. This book was hot and I liked both MCs. The evolution of their relationship was good, although a little rushed. Some of their disagreements/misunderstandings irritated me because I felt like it could have been worked out pretty easily, but it is a good read.
  • Natural Disaster (Bareback, #2)
  • ReneCade (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #3)
  • No Going Home (Home, #1)
  • A Shared Range (Range, #1)
  • Nowhere Ranch
  • After the Sunset (Timing Book 2)
  • Bad Boy Cowboy (Cattle Valley, #7)
  • Seeing You
  • Long Tall Drink
  • Roughstock: Blind Ride - Season One (Roughstock, #1)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • The Heart of Texas (Texas, #1)
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
1202850
JL has been talking since she was about seven months old. To those who know her it comes as no surprise, in fact, most will tell you she hasn’t shut up since. At eighteen months, she was speaking in full sentences. Imagine if you will the surprise of her admirers when they complimented her mother on “what a cute little boy” she had and received a fierce glare from said little boy and a very loud c ...more
More about J.L. Langley...

Ranch (3 books)
  • The Tin Star (Ranch Series, #1)
  • The Christmas Tree Bargain (Ranch #3)