Start by marking “Tagtraum und Nachtlicht” as Want to Read:
Tagtraum und Nachtlicht

Tagtraum und Nachtlicht

Der Planet hatte keine Rotation. Auf der einen Hälfte herrschte ewiger Tag, durchglüht von einer ständig im Zenith stehenden Sonne, die kein organisches Leben gedeihen ließ.
Die andere Hälfte brütete in ewiger Nacht, die nur vom kalten Funkeln unendlich ferner Sterne erhellt wurde.
Dort hatte sich eine Zivilisation entwickelt. Tief im Innern der Nachtseite lebten die Reichen
Published 1984 by Bastei Lübbe (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Tagtraum und Nachtlicht, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tagtraum und Nachtlicht

Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
The first Tanith Lee book I ever read was Dark Dance. It was awesome. I've read a few more of Lee's work since then, but none have given me the same delicious, nail-biting experience that one did.

Day by Night comes really close, though. It's about two sides of a planet which never rotates. So, like our moon, one side is always light and one is always dark. Each side has adapted in different ways, but they are mirrors of each other. In both cities there are super rich people who live in mansions,
Cera
Sep 13, 2010 Cera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did; as it was I'm glad I read it, but I don't think I'll be holding on to my copy.

The book definitely had its good points; her world is interesting, and there was some very evocative descriptive prose (always one of Lee's strengths), and the day-side/night-side structure of the world being paralleled in the actual structure of the story was quite clever.

But... it moved a little slowly for my tastes. I don't mind leisurely books but I like the
Dina
Oct 08, 2011 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i've just finished reading day by night and i think i might need some time to digest before i post a review here. anyway, for now let me say that i enjoyed it and that it is a great example of how brilliant Lee is when she turns to sci-fi. and, oh, i absolutely loved the last chapter

8 Oct 2011: So here is a little addition for the review. the thing is, that even though Day by night is not Lee's best, and it is not something that everybody could easily enjoy, it is surely bold and imagivative, an
Melissa McCauley
My experience with Tanith Lee’s novels is rather hit and miss, and I’m afraid this one falls into the latter category. Only my love of some of her other works kept me reading until the end - to be ultimately disappointed.

This is actually two stories; in one the vapid Vitra is a Fabulast who lives on the dark side of the planet, and she is writing a story about the spoiled Vel Thaidis who lives on the light side of the planet. Or is it a story? After a crime is committed in each world, the stori
Steph Bennion
Jun 25, 2016 Steph Bennion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I liked this story of a future civilisation (or two) in decline, societal breakdown and poetic justice. This is old-school sci-fi so may seem rather plodding to readers of modern works, but the world-building is fantastic and evocative.
Marsha
Jun 05, 2013 Marsha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This just wasn't one of Tanith Lee's best. Her usual lush descriptions simply went on too long and were far too involved. The story plodded up until the end, where there was a rather satisfactory ending.
Lauren
Dec 09, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tanith-lee
One story of 2 linked adventures occurring on opposite ends of a planet. A very fun read full of all kinds of poetic polarization.
Michael  Frederick Faber
Michael Frederick Faber marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Scorpio-of-Autumn
Scorpio-of-Autumn marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Otessa
Otessa marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Anonyma20sth
Anonyma20sth marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Veronica Kosowski
Veronica Kosowski rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Del
Del rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Sylvia Kosowski
Sylvia Kosowski marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Debra Colchamiro
Debra Colchamiro rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Rowena
Rowena rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Cathryn
Cathryn marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Aaron Humphrey
Aaron Humphrey rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2016
Rhory Hwa
Rhory Hwa marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Serena Wyndelin Ogawa
Serena Wyndelin Ogawa marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • All of an Instant
  • R.U.R. & War with the Newts
  • Ring of Swords
  • Hour of Judgment (Under Jurisdiction, #3)
  • A Choice of Catastrophes
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Helliconia Trilogy
  • The IDIC Epidemic
  • Amazons!
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • Postmarked the Stars (Solar Queen, #4)
  • 334
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Monstrocity
  • Dark Benediction
  • The Confederation Handbook
  • Blackmantle
  • When Darkness Falls: Kiss of the Wolf\Shadow Kissing\The Devil She Knew
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...