Start by marking “The Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 2: Buddy Does Jersey, 1994-1998” as Want to Read:

The Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 2: Buddy Does Jersey, 1994-1998 (Buddy Bradley #3-6)

This volume collects all 15 issues of describing the arc of Buddy's East Coast experience that appeared in "Hate Comics." Originally released in color, these stories are presented de-colorized in the pristine black and white of earlier Buddy stories. Older teens.
Published April 30th 2007 by Fantagraphics

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 2

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris WareAsterios Polyp by David MazzucchelliBuilding Stories by Chris WareBlack Hole by Charles BurnsMaus I by Art Spiegelman
Best Art Comics of All Time
53rd out of 226 books — 40 voters
Hellboy, Vol. 5 by Mike MignolaThe Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects by Mike MignolaThe Complete Buddy Bradley Stories from Hate Comics, Vol. 2 by Peter BaggeThe Complete Peanuts, Vol. 11 by Charles M. SchulzFrank in the River by Jim Woodring
Perfect comics
3rd out of 20 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Erik
Dec 17, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
I last followed the exploits of Buddy Bradley in Bagge’s first collected volume of his series Hate, entitled Buddy Does Seattle. Being a denizen of the Emerald City myself, I found Buddy’s adventures to be hilarious send-ups of the 90s grunge scene that made my city the top of the hot list for all those years. Buddy was a riotous spoof of the disaffected slacker-turned-hipster-wannabe who came to Seattle to slum it. Whether it be his on-again off-again sordid relationship with the sex and attent ...more
Sam
Sep 25, 2007 Sam added it
With his comic series Hate, and more importantly with his character Buddy Bradley, Peter Bagge has created what is, for my money, one of the funniest, most thoughtful, and most realistic slacker tales ever.

Brief history lesson: Buddy Does Jersey is the second half of the Buddy Bradley stories that originally appeared in Bagge's Hate periodical (the first half can be found in the Buddy Does Seattle collection).

Over the course of these two volumes we see a character who lives the prototypical sla
Fantagraphics Books
Aug 15, 2007 Fantagraphics Books rated it it was amazing
Buddy Does Jersey collects all 15 issues of Hate describing the arc of Buddy's East Coast experience, including his launch as a small businessman (co-owning and running a nostalgia store with the dubious Jay) and his reintegration with his family (his sister now a harassed mom, his brother still pretty much a psycho, and his parents — well, wait and see). Also included in this volume is the shocking final fate of the exuberant Stinky — a story that caused jaws to drop in unison all around the wo ...more
Niklas Pivic
Jul 31, 2009 Niklas Pivic rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, comedy
Human and funny, dirty and real. This is the second volume of what happens to the main character, Buddy Bradley, after he during the mid 1990s leaves American Seattle for New Jersey together with his girlfriend, Lisa, to go live in his parents' house. His decrepit old dad is mean and his younger brother, dishonourably discharged from the navy, stays at home and gets up to no good, which drives Buddy to try and start a new business with a friend. Things get more complicated as his relationship wi ...more
Hamish
Jul 18, 2012 Hamish rated it really liked it
It's cliche, but I really do love Hate. Bagge does something extremely difficult: he creates characters that are stereotypes/caricature/satires with very exaggerated traits, and yet he also makes them seem very human and real. Part of the reason this works is because instead of using a character to satire a large group, he uses more specific targets. These are all people we know in real life, just a little exaggerated. It's not "this guy is a parody of all those crazy liberals", it's "this guy i ...more
X-ray Iris
Nov 18, 2008 X-ray Iris rated it liked it
I stopped reading HATE 'long about '94.
In fact, the last issue I read was the one with "yellow food!"
so I have been unaware, lo these many years, of the fates of Lisa, Buddy, Butch and Stinky.

But a couple of months ago I made an acerbic reference to Buddy and Stinky regarding the actions of a couple of bumbling friend of mine--friends I've had since my HATE-readin' days--and as I gleefully spread the comment around, hoping to gloat on my apropos pop-culture reference, I found that NO ONE in my c
Tony
Dec 15, 2007 Tony rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic Novel fans
Ah, a detestable book about detstetable people, but without the usual apologetic tone. I have a soft spot in my heart for Hate comics, and I consider a must read for anyone who's ever had to deal with middle America, Hipsters, or suburbia. Bagge's uncompromising view of America via New Jersey is both empathetic and critical, and hard to put down. I blazed through the collection in about three day's time. Oddly enough I read Meet the Bradleys, and this, but haven't read about Buddy's time in Seat ...more
Beau
Nov 05, 2007 Beau rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who think the BBC Office isn't uncomfortable enough
I bought this on vacation and planned to wait until I got home to read the entire Buddy Bradley series in order. I ended up staying up all night just to finish this off.

Buddy Bradley is probably the most accurate depiction of the last generation or so that I've ever read.

This is the third collection of Buddy's story. The earlier comics were of Buddy's teen and young adult years. This is him "growing up."

If this is where I'm headed, then this book is even more depressing than I thought.

Absolutely
Candy
Jul 30, 2016 Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cartoon-comic
I wanted to love Hate, but sometimes I hated it.
Reyel2107
Sep 02, 2016 Reyel2107 rated it it was amazing
i still hate this !!!!
John Parkinson
Jan 31, 2013 John Parkinson rated it really liked it
One of the things about getting older, either your discrimination gets looser or you are able to pick stuff to read more selectively......another four star review. Although, perhaps, my enjoyment of this is related more to the memories of enjoying earlier editions of Hate in monthly format years ago than to any close current analysis. Buddy Bradley is a particular type of everyman and everything he does and processes is believable, even to someone from a drastically different location (but simil ...more
Ian Hrabe
Jul 03, 2011 Ian Hrabe rated it really liked it
Four stars only because Bagge decided to have this printed in black and white, which makes all the comics look really weird and unfinished because so much of the latter half of Hate relied on color. The stories though, the stories are excellent. Buddy Bradley is forced to mature after moving in with his parents and then has to deal with you know, life stuff. The comics get funnier and sadder at the same time, which is what Hate does best. Not quite tragicomic, more sadfunny.
Dominick
Jan 11, 2013 Dominick rated it liked it
The rest of the Buddy Bradley (and related) stories take Buddy's life to a semi-closural moment, after more sometimes funny but more often grim adventures in the lives of major losers and dickheads. The increasingly realistic and serious tone of the stories is somewhat at odds with Bagge's rubbery style, but there's no question he's a strong cartoonist and writer.
Heath
Jun 26, 2007 Heath rated it it was amazing
Man, I thought Pete Bagge's comics read well in single issue form. Almost 10 years later, these Buddy Bradley stories read even better all in one run. No need to fuss through the non-Buddy stuff in the original comics; here, you can get everything in one clear line of storytelling. It's more coherent than I noticed the first time!
Darran Mclaughlin
The second half of the adventures of Buddy Bradley. More great stuff. His star seems to have waned a bit compared to other alt comics stars like Daniel Clowes and Charles Burns which is partly a result of his work being less polished and refined than theirs, but I like the punkiness of it.
Phil Overeem
Mar 22, 2008 Phil Overeem rated it it was amazing
I loved BUDDY DOES SEATTLE. But this one takes the cake. Hilarious, true, exasperating. Read 'em both folks. I came to these late (46)--and I can't imagine how much I would have liked them when they came out. Buddy (despite some obvious detriments) is a great Everyman.
Sep 14, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Even though Buddy Bradley is sort of a self-absorbed asshole, I love Hate. (I guess that's sort of the point, actually.)

I found the end of the series incredibly bleak. For some reason, everyone else I've ever spoken to seems to think it's a happy ending.
A.
Mar 30, 2008 A. rated it it was amazing
Apparently the last half of the Hate series wasn't as well loved by fans, but I love this book. It enriches all the characters so much, especially Butch. Also Buddy and Lisa: possibly the most poignant ending to a comics series ever. (Sorry, Captain America.)
Jeff
Jan 30, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing
***SPOILER Alert***
Best ending in American Literature. Buddy coming to terms with pregnant Lisa and owning a ma and pa business: "And Baby Makes Three!!! We'll be living the American Dream! Hey Lisa, is it okay to pork you while your pregnant?".
Joe
May 12, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Even better than Buddy Does Seattle. At first, Buddy seems like your archetypal late twentieth century Loser, but he really does grow into someone you could almost call ethical and upstanding, in his own sniveling and bad-mannered way.
chris
Mar 21, 2009 chris rated it it was amazing
Talking about this at work the other day, I hastily compared it to Dostoevsky. I felt a little bit silly about it immediately afterword, but after taking some time to think it over, I have to say that I stand by the comparison.
Matt Chic
Sep 16, 2007 Matt Chic rated it it was amazing
this one's great cause it reprints HATE #16-30 in black and white, instead of color as they originally appeared. no offense to the color but the b/w fits better i think.
Kenneth
Dec 25, 2011 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
raunchy, sordid, comical, bittersweet slice of life. My favorite part was Buddy's reaction to a potential date to a U2 concert.
Merritt
Jan 24, 2009 Merritt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I just finished this today. The storylines are darker and more complex than Seattle, but you still want to jump into the panel.
Smoothw
Jun 11, 2012 Smoothw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
So good it distracted me from the season finale of Mad Men!
Clark
May 12, 2012 Clark rated it it was amazing
Thank you Peter Bagge, for understanding.
Jeb
Jan 03, 2011 Jeb rated it really liked it
Great misanthropic fun. Highly recommended.
Matthew
Nov 02, 2009 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Wish it didn't have to end!!!
John
John added it
Sep 24, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
  • My Most Secret Desire
  • The Greatest of Marlys
  • Unlovable
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #6
  • Popeye, Vol. 1: I Yam What I Yam!
  • American Elf: The Collected Sketchbook Diaries, Vol. 1
  • The Fart Party, Vol. 2
  • Red Rocket 7
  • The Complete Peanuts, 1950-1954
Peter Bagge was born on December 11th, 1957, and raised in Peekskill, New York, about 40 miles north of New York City. While enrolled in the School of Visual Arts in New York City in 1977, Bagge discovered underground comics, and the work of R. Crumb in particular turned what had initially been only a vague interest in cartooning into a passion.

In the early '80s Bagge co-published three issues of
More about Peter Bagge...

Buddy Bradley (7 books)
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 1: Hey, Buddy!
  • Hate, Vol. 2: Buddy the Dreamer
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 3: Fun With Buddy + Lisa
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 4: Buddy Go Home!
  • Buddy Bradley, Vol. 5: Buddy's Got Three Moms