Start by marking “Runaway (Florida Civil War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Runaway (Florida Civil War, #1)

Runaway (MacKenzies - Old Florida Civil War #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  28 reviews
His smoldering gaze claimed her long before a poker hand made her his. Tara Brent knew she could never escape this dark and brooding stranger who promised her safety, with a price: marriage - and life together in the lush, lethal wilderness of Florida. She didn't even know his name, only the promise of passion, and refuge in his arms...

Jarret McKenzie swept his ravishing b

Paperback, Large Print, 516 pages
Published December 3rd 2005 by Wheeler Publishing (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway

Emily
"I hate you! Let’s go have sex." It’s such an infuriating concept: a romance novel built on misunderstandings, deliberate untruthfulness, and a couple who are drawn together physically while sharing inconceivable, undeniable passion for each other. Sometimes, the background story is strong enough to make up for the foolhardy behavior of both hero and heroine while they bicker their way into bed. This is not the case here.
The premise is promising, with our heroine, Tara, being on the run from an
Glamdring
Ok, so this is one review for the whole saga.

The saga begins during the second Seminole war and ends at the end of the secession war. The first two books are about Jarrett (white american) and James his half brother who is half white (same father)/half Seminole. The four following books are focused on their children.

The McKenzies are a close knit family. Then secession war happens and though they are all staunchly against slavery they find themselves politically divided.

Heather Graham has a re
Connie
This is #1 in the Florida Series.

I loved the setting, but could have lived without all the exclamation points. It seemed there was at least one in each paragraph. I do think Jarrett was a very strong individual that didn't like to be told what to do, but Tara was just as strong and stubborn. Made for some fireworks to be sure.

The book took place when Osceola was one of the chief's in the region and even though you didn't see him that much, I really liked him. I am not sure if he was that compas
Jody
Jarrett MacKenzie finds Tara running from her past through the streets of New Orleans. Overcome by her beauty and strength, he decides to marry her to protect her from the past she's running from.

The story begins in 1835 and takes place in Florida where the Seminole indians still roam and are threatened by US government and President Andrew Jackson, who will stop and nothing to remove the Seminole people from the land. Even if that means killing every man, woman, and child.

Jarrett takes Tara t
Regan Walker
Captivating Love Story from the Florida Wilderness

This is the first in Graham's 19th century Old Florida's McKenzies series. It's a captivating story of a passionate romance set against the background of the history of this great state. Graham takes care to give us the history of Florida in 1835 (it is her home state), including the Seminole wars that resulted from broken treaties and the white man trying to push the Indians west.

Runaway is tells the story of Tara Brent, a beautiful girl on the
Mary Mathews
I had previously read a latter book in this series and enjoyed the storytelling and Florida history so much that I must read the rest of the series. My Mother's ancestors came from the Florida Panhandle region of this time period so it is very interesting for me to follow the McKenzie family, Native Americans included. I thoroughly believe that my 2 percent Native American DNA results go back to this part of my family. I have already put the next book in the series on hold at the library.
Both this series and the Civil War series really brought home to me what it must have been like back then. I mean, logically you understand that a civil war means families fighting against families, but for some reason it never really registered how much heartache and pain it brought with or without casualties. Brothers who love each other desperate not to face each other on the battlefield coming home to see each other across the dinner table. Fathers praying for sons on both sides of the lines ...more
Darlene
I bought this hard cover book way back in 1994 because I fell in love with the beautiful art on the dust cover and when I read it a fell in love with the story and I really need to find the time to read it again to see if I love it as much now as I did then!!
M

booksonboard.comheather graham writes a great historical romance. this is the first of a series about the history of florida not a typical subject for a historical romance. there is lots of action, adventure and romance in this book. the female character is forced to marry a complete stranger and live in a place she considers dangerous in order to escape a false murder charge. of course her husband manages to save her and she falls in love which is typical
Gladys Turner
I got bored somewhere in the middle with this book.
And even if I picked it up later, it still did not leave me with a great impression, but only with a mild one.
I believe this series it really not for me .
Amber
This wasn't the worst book that I ever read, I actually found the info about the War in Florida interesting because I knew nothing about Osceola and the Indian wars...BUT, I just didn't get into the characters and probably won't read the rest of the series.
Vanda
this book is about civil war in the usa, i forgot the storyline but Ms. Graham introduced me to the terror and destruction a civil war could do to families. Father would stand against sons just because they had different ideology and idealism.
Vanda
Francesca
Piddly little romance novel but with some good history behind it - set in the 1830s or so in Florida. Would be interested in reading more about this time period and the Seminole Native Americans.
nami
I read it when I was in middle school and thought it was the hottest thing! Now that I am older, the book is made up of arguments with reconciliations and steamy sex. Still a good read.
Mum
I am weary of temper tantrums followed by sex used to resolve all issues. It was very long-winded bordering on tedious.
Mary Cathie
I loved the story but wasnt too crazy with the history lesson. I like Heather Grahams other books better
Theresa Almeida
This is Florida history at it's finest, I learned so much about the State of my Birth from this series!
Christine Riddell
Loved this historic series about Florida. Stories were all good and some history learning too
Blondie Serna
The best historical romance novel I ever read! Make sure you read all the series!
Vallsykes
Oh yeah! This hero's native name is White Tiger. Awesome historical setting.
Joyfulbean
I really enjoyed this book ... so much so I bought the rest of the series.
Cathy
Nov 18, 2008 Cathy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Shawna Weick
pretty good but lots of historical references, too many for my taste
Linda Duschl
Entertaining, good leisurely read, nice setting.
Katt Jones
Jan 28, 2013 Katt Jones marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How do I read the books
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • My Wicked Enchantress
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • Deceive Not My Heart
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Creole Fires (Southern, #1)
  • Passion's Ransom
  • First Love Wild Love
  • Fire & Ice
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Lord of Raven's Peak (Viking, #3)
  • To Love and to Cherish (Wyckerley Trilogy #1)
  • Spirit's Song
Also published as Heather Graham Pozzessere and Shannon Drake.

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Heather Graham majored in theater arts at the University of South Florida. After a stint of several years in dinner theater, back-up vocals, and bartending, she stayed home after the birth of her third child and began to write, working on short horror stories and romances. After some tria
More about Heather Graham...

MacKenzies - Old Florida Civil War (6 books)
  • Captive (Florida Civil War, #2)
  • Rebel (Florida Civil War, #3)
  • Surrender  (Florida Civil War, #4)
  • Glory (Florida Civil War, #5)
  • Triumph (Florida Civil War, #6)
Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2) Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1) Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1) Ghost Shadow (Bone Island Trilogy, #1) Haunted (Harrison Investigation, #1)