Start by marking “Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1: Nightmare” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1: Nightmare

Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1: Nightmare (Ultimate Galactus #1)

Superstar Warren Ellis teams with hot newcomer Trevor Hairsine (Ultimate Six) to tell a story of international intrigue that shakes every Ultimate book to its core! As world communications systems break down, the source of the anomaly is revealed as Tunguska, Russia. Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. leads a force comprised of Captain America, Black Widow, and Sam Wilson to invest ...more
Published December 27th 2006 by Marvel (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Galactus, Volume 1

Paul
Aug 04, 2016 Paul rated it liked it
This book is the first part of Warren Ellis' Ultimate Galactus trilogy (or Gah-Lak-Tus, or however they spell it) and it's pretty good but not great.

The concept and execution actually make for an excellent science fiction/horror story. What it's not is a good superhero story. I actually wish they'd made this a SHIELD tale and left the Ultimates and X-Men out of it completely, at least for this first chapter.

Maybe it's because I can't bloody stand the Ultimates and the Ultimate version of the X-M
Jedhua
Aug 04, 2016 Jedhua rated it really liked it
Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate Nightmare issues #1-5.

description

When a large meteor-like object crashes down in Tungusta (i.e. a semi-remote region located in eastern Russia) around a century ago, the radiation given off by the crash site mysteriously mutates all the surrounding vegetation and inflicts severe illness upon expedition crews exposed to the area. Now, years after writing off the event as a freak accident, violent images of an extraterrestrial holocaust are being broadcast from
Sud666
Aug 03, 2016 Sud666 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Warren Ellis comes out of nowhere and writes a great tale set in the Ultimate's universe.

A powerful telepathic message is emanating from the middle of Siberia and it seems to be a looping message depicting the end of an alien world whilst repeating the message that something is coming. That something is variously described as a Destroyer of stars, an anti-messiah, a Devourer of worlds, etc.
SHIELD deploys General Fury and a hand-picked team of Ultimates (Cap, Widow and Falcon) deploy into Russia
Fizzgig76
Reprints Ultimate Nightmare #1-5 (October 2004-February 2005). Jean Grey and Professor X sense the development of a new mutant in Russia as broadcasts begin around the world presenting otherworldly events. With Captain America, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and the Falcon also heading to Russia, the X-Men find themselves in conflict with something otherworldly in Tungusta.

Written by Warren Ellis, Ultimate Nightmare was the first part of a trilogy which brought Galactus to the Ultimate universe (or Gah
Stewart Tame
Mar 14, 2014 Stewart Tame rated it it was amazing
A message simultaneously appearing on radios, televisions, computers and cellphones worldwide throws the world into a panic. The message warns of some vague impending doom and seems to be broadcast psychically. Both the Avengers and the X-Men track the signal's origin to an underground complex in the Tunguska region of Siberia. What follows is a story of steadily increasing horrors in darkened passages, the kind of story Warren Ellis is a past master of. Since he's mentioned in the book's title, ...more
Mark Desrosiers
Jun 09, 2008 Mark Desrosiers rated it it was ok
Eh.

I'm not sure whose idea it was to re-animate the Cold War for this series, but Warren Ellis wastes many, many opportunities to mock it here. I was especially let down by the battle between Captain America and Captain Soviet Union (who looks kinda cool -- tattered, Red, and buff, with a trash-can shield). At least let that dull sexually ambiguous Cap get slapped around with a little rough-play from Red! Gimme something to feed my kinky socialist fantasies!

Nice artwork though, especially consi
Orrin Grey
May 21, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I haven't read much of the Ultimates stuff before. This was OK, I guess. I liked some of the stuff, like the secret Soviet super soldier program, the artist they had did a good job with big wide-angle shots, and I liked the Falcon. But a lot of the rest of the time the colors were so dark and murky that it sort of all got lost on the page, and the Ultimate X-Men (mostly Wolverine and Jean Grey in this case) were so massively annoying that I breathed a sigh of relief everytime they weren't on-scr ...more
Craig
May 08, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Very cool. Great art and a story about failed experimental Soviet supersoldiers. This is the kind of thing Warren Ellis does better than just about anyone. Also, a showdown between the X-Men and the Ultimates! Looking forward to the next volume...
Brent
Jan 08, 2017 Brent rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superheroes
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and The Book Nook
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
Leisurely storytelling in the old Ultimate Marvel universe: this is particularly good if you are a fan of Warren Ellis, as well as these characters. Art is professional, and the coloring by Frank D'Armata is superb.
Artur Coelho
Oct 29, 2013 Artur Coelho rated it liked it
São precisos três longos capítulos para Warren Ellis dar a volta ao icónico Galactus. A criatura criada por Jack Kirby, força natural do universo encarnada no devorador de mundos, é metódica e impacavelmente recriada por Ellis. Neste primeiro capítulo a explosão de Tunguska ganha uma nova vertente. Impactos psíquicos e um ataque de terror mediático que provoca suicídios em massa são investigados paralelamente por um grupo de vingadores e outro de X-Men. Na tradição da Marvel há mau sangue entre ...more
Bryan
Feb 06, 2015 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-manga
Two groups, one consisting of Nick Fury, Captain America, Black Widow, and Sam Wilson; the other of Jean Grey, Wolverine, and Colossus, delve deep into Russian territory to investigate the site of a comet crash. In search of a mysterious message causing horrifying suicides and mass panic, playing across every communication device on Earth, the groups meet. Experiments gone wrong await them.. and is it Cap's fault?

This was a fun read. I really don't read much of these characters. Come to think o
James
Feb 09, 2016 James rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This volume is the first in a three-part series introducing the Ultimate Universe's version of Galactus, and it's also the best. A worldwide psychic broadcast of terror and impending doom is emanating from somewhere in Russia, and both the Ultimates (aka, the Avengers) and the X-Men go to investigate. They discover, as so many have before them, that nothing good is ever sealed away in a Soviet-era experimental facility, and there are some nice body-horror sequences before the mystery is unveiled ...more
Riki
Mar 18, 2012 Riki rated it it was amazing
Occasionally I like to pick up a graphic novel or two when I get bored. I was in such a mood when I ran across this book. Unlike most comics out there, both the writing and the art are great. The pacing is perfect, there's cinematic art instead of a bunch of words explaining everything, and the atmosphere is just flawless. One nitpicky issue I had is that the dialog is mostly passable, but it never took me out of the story.

The story starts with the Tunguska Event of 1904, blazing through to 200
M
Jun 18, 2012 M rated it did not like it
The beginning volume that would bring Galactus into the Ultimate Marvel Universe! An alien message draws the attention of both the X-Men and the Ultimates to Russia, who send in a few of their members. Jean, Wolverine, and Colossus are searching for a psychic mutant; Cap, Widow, Fury, and Sam (Falcon) Wilson think a Russian super-soldier program has reared its head. As the two strike teams encounter horrors buried for decades, a vital warning on the approach of a world devourer is given. Ultimat ...more
Andrew Christman
Sep 01, 2012 Andrew Christman rated it it was amazing
Whats with the mixed reviews? I've read about half of the Ultimate Universe and have to say this Galactus Trilogy was the best of the team-up stories.

It's dark, it's moody and about as realistic as comic books with this level of suspension of disbelief can become. If that's not your cup of tea, then don't read the Ultimate Universe!

The first part offered great buildup. All the "team-up" stories have been hinting at some great, big cosmic dread and this first part takes it to a whole new level o
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Jul 02, 2015 Gonzalo Oyanedel rated it liked it
Amparado en las libertades que permite la línea Ultimate, Warren Ellis despliega una historia efectista y bien dialogada que pone a los equipos de Charles Xavier y Nick Fury tras el origen de una misteriosa señal que interrumpe las telecomunicaciones mundiales. Su hallazgo en un bunker de Tunguska (Rusia) despierta olvidados fantasmas de la Guerra Fría, junto a una temible revelación sobre el futuro. Entretenida.
Travis
Nov 26, 2009 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
Decent team up story and I liked 'Ultimate Falcon', but the X-men don't seem to do much and the bad guys come across as a bit pathetic, rather than cool and menacing.
and then you find out this was all just a prelude to a bigger story and feel vaguely let down.

But, it was made readable by Warren's clever dialogue and love of weird science.

Dan Still
Sep 08, 2012 Dan Still rated it really liked it
It's Warren Ellis and Galactus... The only flaw I could find with this storyline was that it, unfortunately, took place in the Ultimate universe, so everyone looks just slightly "off" to me. Yes, I am that much of a comic dork that it actually distracted me from the storyline. That being said, the story itself is simply stellar.
Amanda
Jul 18, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was a pretty entertaining read, though I wasn't blown away by it. I like seeing the take on characters in the Ultimate universe (particularly one who shows up in this book), and I enjoyed how the Ultimates and X-Men were both trying to find the source of a mysterious broadcast.
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 Molly rated it really liked it
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Sean Brennan
Oct 13, 2013 Sean Brennan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I rather enjoyed these issues especially the use of dark colours and shading to highlight the hell that the Russian Research Centre had become. As always Warren Ellis script was spot on, look forward now to Secret.
Jeff Raymond
I guess I shouldn't be completely surprised that something Warren Ellis did is awesome, but...well, it was. The setup for Galactus, the exchanges between Black Widow and Captain America...everything about this is great. Hoping the rest of it is as good.
Shannon Appelcline
A nicely dark vision of the Ultimate universe, but in the end, it's too decompressed to be that compelling.
Zach Danielson
Decent premise, but it was drawn out unnecessarily. I liked the art--dark, but that fit the tone of the story.
Chris Boette
May 08, 2012 Chris Boette rated it really liked it
I'm glad that by the end of this, the X-Men realize that they can be jerks. WE doing what he does best.
Jdetrick
This a gorgeous book, but sadly its set in the Ultimate universe, with the characters you grew up with, if they were horrible cynics that you couldn't stand.
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Tyler Mathiason
Tyler Mathiason rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
P Fosten
P Fosten rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2012
Craig
Craig rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2008
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 7: Blockbuster
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Volume 1
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 10: Cry Wolf
  • Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

Ultimate Galactus (3 books)
  • Ultimate Galactus, Volume 2: Secret