Start by marking “Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 1: Nightmare” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 1: Nightmare

Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 1: Nightmare (Ultimate Galactus #1)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  668 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Superstar Warren Ellis teams with hot newcomer Trevor Hairsine (Ultimate Six) to tell a story of international intrigue that shakes every Ultimate book to its core! As world communications systems break down, the source of the anomaly is revealed as Tunguska, Russia. Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. leads a force comprised of Captain America, Black Widow, and Sam Wilson to invest ...more
Published December 27th 2006 by Marvel (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 1

Fizzgig76
Reprints Ultimate Nightmare #1-5 (October 2004-February 2005). Jean Grey and Professor X sense the development of a new mutant in Russia as broadcasts begin around the world presenting otherworldly events. With Captain America, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and the Falcon also heading to Russia, the X-Men find themselves in conflict with something otherworldly in Tungusta.

Written by Warren Ellis, Ultimate Nightmare was the first part of a trilogy which brought Galactus to the Ultimate universe (or Gah
Orrin Grey
I haven't read much of the Ultimates stuff before. This was OK, I guess. I liked some of the stuff, like the secret Soviet super soldier program, the artist they had did a good job with big wide-angle shots, and I liked the Falcon. But a lot of the rest of the time the colors were so dark and murky that it sort of all got lost on the page, and the Ultimate X-Men (mostly Wolverine and Jean Grey in this case) were so massively annoying that I breathed a sigh of relief everytime they weren't on-scr ...more
Mark Desrosiers
Eh.

I'm not sure whose idea it was to re-animate the Cold War for this series, but Warren Ellis wastes many, many opportunities to mock it here. I was especially let down by the battle between Captain America and Captain Soviet Union (who looks kinda cool -- tattered, Red, and buff, with a trash-can shield). At least let that dull sexually ambiguous Cap get slapped around with a little rough-play from Red! Gimme something to feed my kinky socialist fantasies!

Nice artwork though, especially consi
Bryan
Two groups, one consisting of Nick Fury, Captain America, Black Widow, and Sam Wilson; the other of Jean Grey, Wolverine, and Colossus, delve deep into Russian territory to investigate the site of a comet crash. In search of a mysterious message causing horrifying suicides and mass panic, playing across every communication device on Earth, the groups meet. Experiments gone wrong await them.. and is it Cap's fault?

This was a fun read. I really don't read much of these characters. Come to think o
Stewart Tame
A message simultaneously appearing on radios, televisions, computers and cellphones worldwide throws the world into a panic. The message warns of some vague impending doom and seems to be broadcast psychically. Both the Avengers and the X-Men track the signal's origin to an underground complex in the Tunguska region of Siberia. What follows is a story of steadily increasing horrors in darkened passages, the kind of story Warren Ellis is a past master of. Since he's mentioned in the book's title, ...more
Artur Coelho
São precisos três longos capítulos para Warren Ellis dar a volta ao icónico Galactus. A criatura criada por Jack Kirby, força natural do universo encarnada no devorador de mundos, é metódica e impacavelmente recriada por Ellis. Neste primeiro capítulo a explosão de Tunguska ganha uma nova vertente. Impactos psíquicos e um ataque de terror mediático que provoca suicídios em massa são investigados paralelamente por um grupo de vingadores e outro de X-Men. Na tradição da Marvel há mau sangue entre ...more
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Amparado en las libertades que permite la línea Ultimate, Warren Ellis despliega una historia efectista y bien dialogada que pone a los equipos de Charles Xavier y Nick Fury tras el origen de una misteriosa señal que interrumpe las telecomunicaciones mundiales. Su hallazgo en un bunker de Tunguska (Rusia) despierta olvidados fantasmas de la Guerra Fría, junto a una temible revelación sobre el futuro. Entretenida.
Riki
Occasionally I like to pick up a graphic novel or two when I get bored. I was in such a mood when I ran across this book. Unlike most comics out there, both the writing and the art are great. The pacing is perfect, there's cinematic art instead of a bunch of words explaining everything, and the atmosphere is just flawless. One nitpicky issue I had is that the dialog is mostly passable, but it never took me out of the story.

The story starts with the Tunguska Event of 1904, blazing through to 200
M
The beginning volume that would bring Galactus into the Ultimate Marvel Universe! An alien message draws the attention of both the X-Men and the Ultimates to Russia, who send in a few of their members. Jean, Wolverine, and Colossus are searching for a psychic mutant; Cap, Widow, Fury, and Sam (Falcon) Wilson think a Russian super-soldier program has reared its head. As the two strike teams encounter horrors buried for decades, a vital warning on the approach of a world devourer is given. Ultimat ...more
Amanda
This was a pretty entertaining read, though I wasn't blown away by it. I like seeing the take on characters in the Ultimate universe (particularly one who shows up in this book), and I enjoyed how the Ultimates and X-Men were both trying to find the source of a mysterious broadcast.
Enrique Peral
Visión, heraldo de Gah Lak Tus.
Andrew Christman
Whats with the mixed reviews? I've read about half of the Ultimate Universe and have to say this Galactus Trilogy was the best of the team-up stories.

It's dark, it's moody and about as realistic as comic books with this level of suspension of disbelief can become. If that's not your cup of tea, then don't read the Ultimate Universe!

The first part offered great buildup. All the "team-up" stories have been hinting at some great, big cosmic dread and this first part takes it to a whole new level o
Travis
Decent team up story and I liked 'Ultimate Falcon', but the X-men don't seem to do much and the bad guys come across as a bit pathetic, rather than cool and menacing.
and then you find out this was all just a prelude to a bigger story and feel vaguely let down.

But, it was made readable by Warren's clever dialogue and love of weird science.

Dan Still
It's Warren Ellis and Galactus... The only flaw I could find with this storyline was that it, unfortunately, took place in the Ultimate universe, so everyone looks just slightly "off" to me. Yes, I am that much of a comic dork that it actually distracted me from the storyline. That being said, the story itself is simply stellar.
Jeff Raymond
I guess I shouldn't be completely surprised that something Warren Ellis did is awesome, but...well, it was. The setup for Galactus, the exchanges between Black Widow and Captain America...everything about this is great. Hoping the rest of it is as good.
Craig
Very cool. Great art and a story about failed experimental Soviet supersoldiers. This is the kind of thing Warren Ellis does better than just about anyone. Also, a showdown between the X-Men and the Ultimates! Looking forward to the next volume...
Sean Brennan
I rather enjoyed these issues especially the use of dark colours and shading to highlight the hell that the Russian Research Centre had become. As always Warren Ellis script was spot on, look forward now to Secret.
Molly
I love everything Marvel. The storylines are incredible! They have everything you could want: action, adventure, comedy, romance, political intrigue, allegories, metaphors, etc. Some stories drag, some end too soon.
Zach Danielson
Decent premise, but it was drawn out unnecessarily. I liked the art--dark, but that fit the tone of the story.
Shannon Appelcline
A nicely dark vision of the Ultimate universe, but in the end, it's too decompressed to be that compelling.
Chris Boette
I'm glad that by the end of this, the X-Men realize that they can be jerks. WE doing what he does best.
Robert
For a big baddie I'm not thoroughly familiar with, the build up in this series is phenomenal.
MJ
I really liked it although I though the addition of the X-men was a little unnecessary.
K
Dunno what to say about this aside from, I thought it was simply 'okay'.
Joshua
Pretty good. Wish the library had the other two trades in the series.
Brian
something big and bad is a 'coming...
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • The Ultimates 2, Vol. 1: Gods and Monsters
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Vol. 1
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 10: Cry Wolf
Has written comics & graphic novels, books, journalism, animation, tv, film, videogames and anything else that looks like it might pay a bill or buy whisky.

Second novel, GUN MACHINE, due from Mulholland Books in autumn of 2012.

First non-fiction book due from FSG in 2014.

Currently a weekly columnist for VICE UK.

Hello. WHERE AM I

More about Warren Ellis...

Ultimate Galactus (3 books)
  • Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 2: Secret
  • Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 3: Extinction
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1) Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3) Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)