Start by marking “The Princess” as Want to Read:
The Princess

The Princess

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  8,151 ratings  ·  434 reviews
Prince Nicolai is heir to the throne and to his people's hearts. But agreeing to an arranged marriage for the good of his people, the prince finds that his new bride requires special tenderness if he is to win her heart.
Published February 1st 1999 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleDealing with Dragons by Patricia C. WredeThe Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine
Best Princess Tales
83rd out of 315 books — 294 voters
The Price of Creation by Lance ConradElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Giver by Lois LowryHoles by Louis SacharEdna in the Desert by Maddy Lederman
Young Adult Books That Kids With Values Can Read
149th out of 266 books — 222 voters

More lists with this book...

Jayne
I didn't know this was written by a Christian author before I started reading. At first when I read how much religion was incorporated in the story I was hesitant to continue, but I enjoyed reading the silent prayers the characters said and really there was no difference between the religious beliefs of these characters and my own. But, I must say that my favorite part of this book was the love story. (...Sigh...) Watching the love of this couple grow from a beginning of fear and dislike to the ...more
Rachel
Sep 13, 2008 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: it was sitting right in front of me!
Okay, it was sitting at the desk where I work, and my self control is pathetic. I cannot resist a fiction novel when temptation persists.
Lori Wick has this knack for writing love stories that make me wonder what world she's living on, cuz it isn't planet earth. Now on the bright side her stories are always clean, and the characters have great value systems and what have you, but I have read much better from her than this. It's not so much that the story was bad per se, just that it was so gosh
Roanne Araneta
So uh this is a Christian book, the kind where you can read passages from the Bible and chapter references such as Genesis, Matthew… I honestly feel awkward reading it.

A phone! They have a phone! Yes obviously I am a bit shocked. I never expected to see (or read) something about a phone, sports car, golf, limousine etc. Well one thing’s for sure, they may be prince and princess but this book is surely not regency. I was expecting regency you know. I got deluded. This is more like Princess Diari
Nola
In most fairy tales, when the Princess and Prince get married, the story ends “happily ever after”. In Lori Wick’s “The Princess,” however, the vows are only the beginning. Although this is the story of an arranged marriage, I found its underlying message quite relevant to most people today, and I think it may especially help those who are struggling or considering divorce.

Prince Nikolai of Pendaran lost his wife before the novel begins, but she is quite present, especially in the early pages.
Nikki
Apr 18, 2007 Nikki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just Want A Really Good Story
I find myself re-reading the book a lot. It's just a great love story!

n the Land of Pendaran, Shelby Parker lives a humble but good life. Her special qualities are eventually noticed by the king and queen of the House of Markham, who seek a new wife for their widowed son, Prince Nikolai.

To uphold the tradition of their country, Shelby and Nikolai agree to an arranged marriage. But while Nikolai is a perfect gentleman in public, he remains distant at home, leaving Shelby to wonder what is in his
Nikki
I like to know little to nothing about books before I read them, sometimes this can get me in trouble. In the case with this book, I must have had different expectations, so perhaps I'm being too hard on it...? I found the book to be extremely dull and silly. The characters were so one-dimensional and wispy. There was no flaw to overcome, no conflict to resolve, not even the slightest bit of interest or chemistry. I liked that it was clean, but it was so annoyingly preachy--and I like religion, ...more
Judie
I just finished reading it for the second time. It is interesting to me, and I wonder why. It's an okay story, but it seems more about the heroine finding happiness in life because of herself, and less about the romance. I guess I think she took a situation and made a life for herself within the framework of her reality. Third reading-this time I was struck by the choice to love someone, rather than it beginning with infatuation.
This is absolutely my most favorite book by Lori Wick!
Heather
I had a lot of problems with this book so I'll just go with the highlights.

The book was poorly written. There, I've said it. I only finished it because it fulfilled a reading challenge requirement and it was painful for the last two hundred pages. There was far too much telling of events and not enough showing. What we do see usually hurts the characters. We see them being good Christians but we almost never see their thoughts, making their actions feel disingenuous.

I didn't hate the heroine,
Jessica
I haven't read many of Lori Wick's books. Only her yellow Rose series and maybe a few stand alone books. I found I struggled to rate this book. At times, it was really great. I loved the Christian values, I liked the characters, and the plotline was unique compared with so many generic reads these days. However, what had me torn was all the intimate scenes. Certainly I think it was just enough without being too detailed, however, the writing was blush worthy at times. Normally such writing would ...more
Judine
Lori Wick found perhaps the only way to have an arranged marriage work at the turn of the 21st century: royalty. I find Nicolai's struggle between loving his dead wife and loving his new bride to be heart-felt and believable. I adore Shelby, but don't always think her not sharing her feelings about certain things works. Still a great late night read.
Emily
This book was like a Harlequin novel combined with an episode of 19 kids and counting. The plot was of course predictable but that doesn't really bother me in a romance novel. The premise itself was okay -- a marriage of convenience becomes a true romance, that part is a classic device that, while hackneyed, is also good fun. The problems with the book were as follows

1) It was incredibly boring. The plot did not move forward in a way that was particularly interesting. In fact, I skipped whole ch
Caryn Jack
Oh my word what a long winded piece of drivel!!!! Seriously this woman cant write. I only got through 2 thirds before I wanted to shoot myself in the face. Usually i don't write really mean reviews but I'm going to make an exception for this book because of all the religious rubbish. Religion does NOT, i repeat, does NOT play a major part in fiction and this is coming from someone who has been religious all her life. Religion is a touchy subject at the best of times because of all the different ...more
Angela
Apr 06, 2009 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: engaged or married individuals
Shelves: fiction, religion, romance
Though it reads rather more like an episode of "Touched by an Angel" than a romance novel, I was finally able to settle back and enjoy this book by accepting what the author intended it to be: a strongly Christian prescription for marital bliss. The characters - especially the supporting cast - were all a little too perfect, and the plot was rather contrived. Wick, however, was able to mold the circumstances to convey heartfelt sincerity and realistic emotional conflict. I actually learned a lot ...more
Brooke
Okay so here is another classic on my list. I have read this book probably 7 or 8 times total. It is an easy read but very enjoyable. I love the idea of a modern day arranged marriage and how that would work in today's world. There are a few times when the book is a bit cheesy but I still love this story and the characters. Next to Sophie's Heart this is my favorite Lori Wick book.
Alycia
Sep 05, 2008 Alycia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes romance books
I loved this book, it took me five hours to finish it.
What makes this book so special is that it's a modern day fairy tale, and Nicki and 'Red' spend more time developing their friendship and how well they know each other, rather than focusing all on...well you know. :) A very good book.
Angela
Apr 28, 2008 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Joanna Jordan
I LOVE this book. It's a modern day fairy tale princess story. Shelby agrees to an arranged marriage to the prince of a created country. They meet for the first time on their wedding day and through their faith in God they learn to love each other. One of the best contemporary books I've ever read.
Inspired Kathy
I love this book. I stayed up half the night to finish it because I couldn't put it down. Written by a Christian writer is does preach a little but it is a great read.
Shirleon
A beautiful story that has come at a good time in my life. My mom gave this to me years and years go to read and it took me until now to actually read it. And I loved it!
A beautiful story of love that is not easily given and is fiercely fought for. This book shows that even when you don't love someone, sometimes it can be worked for. Taking place in a fictional place where arranged marriages were still taking place, this one shows that even when you marry for connivence love is still possible. T
Jozelle
Nov 20, 2011 Jozelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jozelle by: Trish Miclat
This the first Christian Juvenile kind of book I have read since I was born. And you know what? It's worth the ache in my neck and back because not only did it give me the kiligs or being in love but also it gives me lots of lessons about life and of course about how God is amazing.

I like how the story goes. It's not does kind of story where the woman is somewhat annoying because of her dumbness or how the guy is so slow in realizing how much he loves the girl.

In the story, it's not like that. T
Amanda
I must begin with honestly saying that out of all the books I've ever read, this book is still my favorite and has stuck the closest to my heart ever since the first time I read it. Of course it is every girls fairytale to become Cinderella and marry the Prince, but what if the prince doesn't turn out to be quite as charming as you expected? Would you still trust in God to help you to be committed to a man that doesn't love you, nor are you sure you can love him either?

This is the most beautiful
Ellen
This is a guilty pleasure book. One of the two books I own that is poorly written. Has many plot holes. And yet I read it over and over and practically know it by heart. ( the other being Danger in the Shadows.
The premise is that the prince of a fictious country needs a bride to make the requirement of being married at 26 for the country. The minister chooses Shelby a shy red-head. WHat begins as a marriage of convenience quicky turns to one of love.
Whats interesting is that in any other genre
This book started out great - fast, fun and interesting. I got a bit bogged down in the middle, and then the book kicked back into high gear for a happy ending.

I think I could easily adjust to the life of a princess. Charity events, balls, fancy dresses, dancing and public appearances. Being close to your family, having servants who are like your family and being taking care of at all times. Pretty great!

This book stressed the importance of open communication and talking about whatever you are t
Lady
lame - that's the best word I can think of for this book. The story isn't a bad premise but the characters are shallow and inauthentic and continually spout eye roll inducing dialog. There is no conflict in the whole book. that's about it.

except I can't say enough how painfully overt and inauthentic the characters are. If Twilight is a 14-year-old girl's fantasy, this is a 14-year-old Puritan's fantasy. I'm not trying to be mean, but The Princess is simplistic and immature both emotionally and s
Rachelle
For a good romantic read, this is one of my favorites. lori Wick writes a lot of books and it seems like in every one of them someone is getting "saved". I understand that is her "calling" as a Christian writer, but sometimes it's a bit much. This book isn't so much about that, but about a prince who has lost his first wife and must remarry and his parents choose this bride and he approves, but then later discovers what a great person she really is. i guess it's one of those books that's a great ...more
Shelbi
I am not going to lie, I picked this book up mostly because the protagonist's name was Shelby and because I am not quite over my obsession with royalty and princesses. But honestly, this is probably the worst book I have read this year. It is predictable, cheesy and not even remotely interesting. It got to the point where I was merely skimming the book, when I decided it wasn't even worth my time.

I am going to have to provide some case-in-point evidence later. I really couldn't believe how bad
Julie Graves
Prince Nikolai must marry by his 26th birthday. Nikolai was married before but his wife passed away. Now Nick has left it up to his parents to find him a wife. Still mourning his wife Nikolai must trust their judgment on who would fit him the most.

Shelby Parker will make the perfect Princess. She agrees to marry Nikolai and perform the duties of Princess.

Shelby and Nikolai have a rocky start. Shelby is insecure and timid about what her position is. She is also nervous about mentioning Nikolai’
Sheridan Hughes
I have lost count how many times I have read "the Princess." I think I must be somewhere north of a dozen by now. To be honest, that is where I stopped counting. It may be more than twenty. I own two copies: the one my aunt gifted me on my fifteenth birthday almost a decade ago and the reprint with Shelby standing in her wedding dress -- I refuse to crack it open until my original one is falling to pieces.

Is this the greatest romance novel ever written? Certainly not. I have such a fondness for
Dane Nome
This is the first time I have felt so much joy in reading a book. When I read what the story was all about I knew that I must read it immediately. I know I'm only sixteen but I love how the characters in the story love God and how they know that God is in control and that they seek God for guidance. This was also first time I read a book where I smiled a lot, as in I guess I smiled on almost all the pages, the reason that made me smile a lot was of course the romance and also this book shows how ...more
  • The Protector (O'Malley #4)
  • A Bride Most Begrudging
  • Fancy Pants (Only in Gooding, #1)
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
  • The Convenient Groom (Nantucket, #2)
  • A Gown of Spanish Lace (The Janette Oke Collection) (Women of the West)
  • Castles: Kingdom Divided/Alas My Love/If Only/Five Geese Flying
  • Secrets (Glenbrooke, #1)
  • It Had to Be You
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...
Sophie's Heart The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles, #1) Pretense Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles, #2) Donovan's Daughter (The Californians, #4)

“It's so easy to see people as less than they are, as less than people.” 7 likes