Start by marking “Wordsworth, The Selected Poetry of” as Want to Read:
Wordsworth, The Selected Poetry of

Wordsworth, The Selected Poetry of

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,396 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
William Wordsworth (1770-1850) was born in Cockermouth, Cumberland. In 1798 he published the Lyrical Ballads with Coleridge, settling shortly after in Dove Cottage, Grasmere, with his sister Dorothy. He died at Rydal Mount in 1850, shortly before the posthumous publication of that landmark of English Romanticism, The Prelude.
Published May 30th 1973 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about Wordsworth, The Selected Poetry of, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wordsworth, The Selected Poetry of

Dolors
Apr 09, 2013 Dolors rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Romantic English Poets
Recommended to Dolors by: Cristina
Shelves: read-in-2013, poetry
***Updated on April 29th, see below***

I can't help it if my heart doesn't leap with joy with Wordsworth's respectful and magisterial poems. I feel some kind of guilty distance with his realistic and moderated exultation of Nature, his aspirations towards perfection and his Odes full of bucolic and idealized countryside.

There are some brilliant stanzas though which show the almost anecdotal wonders of an apparently monotonous life, but still I find them lacking in originality and too self-center
Manny
Conversation with Not while crossing Westminster Bridge earlier this afternoon:

N: Let's get off this bridge and go somewhere where there aren't so many fucking tourists.

Me: Hey! Remember Earth hath not anything to show more fair!

[Pause]

N: Than what?

Heidi'sbooks
Mar 16, 2015 Heidi'sbooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a selection of the poems found in this book. Isn't the cover gorgeous? I bought this Kindle version, but I wish I could have bought the book. Maybe I'll sneak out to Barnes and Noble sometime and try to find it.

You know, I appreciate William Wordsworth much more now than I did in college. I never thought of Wordsworth as one of my favorite poets—I like Emily Dickinson and Frost plus others. But, I think he might move up a bit on my list of favorites. I like the rapturous emotion in his po
Pewterbreath
Wordsworth is a guilty dislike for me. So many poets don't only like him but credit him with their very inspiration as to what poetry is and should be. Last summer I endeavored to make peace with Wordsworth once and for all. I skipped the juvenelia, and went straight for the "young" Wordsworth. My complaints I can find very quickly--many many poems about A man wandering unhappy, ill at ease, or at least lonely--he encounters daffodils/a leech gatherer/nature's primal majesty and whatever was bot ...more
Jan-Maat
Tintern Abbey

Five years have past; five summers, with the length
Of five long winters! and again I hear
These waters, rolling from their mountain-springs
With a sweet inland murmur.—Once again
Do I behold these steep and lofty cliffs,
Which on a wild secluded scene impress
Thoughts of more deep seclusion; and connect
The landscape with the quiet of the sky.
The day is come when I again repose
Here, under this dark sycamore, and view
These plots of cottage-ground, these orchard-tufts,
Which, at t
Christy
Jul 14, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Selected Poetry of William Wordsworth represents Wordsworth’s prolific output, from the poems first published in Lyrical Ballads in 1798 that changed the face of English poetry to the late “Yarrow Revisited.” Wordsworth’s poetry is celebrated for its deep feeling, its use of ordinary speech, the love of nature it expresses, and its representation of commonplace things and
Lizzy
Feb 23, 2015 Lizzy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wem, classics, poetry
Read this for my club, actually just an assortment of his poetry. I love nature, so I enjoyed his perspective. My favorite was " I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud"
"And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils."
Daniel Schechtel
Hermoso libro, una genial recopilación de grandes poemas, muy íntimos, emotivos, musicales, pastorales. Historias que conmueven, imágenes de paisajes y de quietud rural, momentos del día y de la naturaleza, paz y tranquilidad, pasados emotivos. No todos los poemas me gustaron por igual. Pero me ha logrado emocionar, Wordsworth, hasta hacerse querer.
He dejado este libro en el viejo continente antes de venirme para Argentina, y no tengo los poemas a mano para expresar mi amor por varios de ellos.
Scott Gates
“That men, least sensitive, see, hear, perceive
And cannot choose but feel.”

Yes, if you’re going to read Wordsworth you’re going to have to stomach stuff like the above. I read the entirety of the Prelude over the course of two years. At times I could not bear to read another stanza. To me, the poem veered wildly between passages of stunning beauty and clarity, longwinded lectures about politics, quaint discourses on “Man” and the “Ideal,” and a few others motifs. I could distill the situation of
Dewey
Mar 27, 2014 Dewey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anybody with the desire of looking at a sizeable fraction of the state of the English language's existence would be doing themselves a disservice by not reading William Wordsworth. I sincerely think that this guy was incapable of a poetic imperfection! Though intimidating at times (after all, when have a dozen ten-page poems not been intimidating?), the pleasure of reading one masterpiece after another eventually compensates. Plus, Wordsworth is the type of poet best understood when given time t ...more
☭ Danny
Although he's sometimes seen as ultra-conventional, ftmp, I think an appropriate musical analog to Wordsworth's work might be the music of Schubert, or, especially, Brahms— which I've continually found to be very cutting-edge just beneath the surface of pop accessibility. Wordsworth was audacious enough, for example, to write an epic conversation poem, the subject of which was his own mind ["The Prelude", his masterpiece— portions of which are not included in this edition, btw, which sucks sever ...more
Andres
Jan 16, 2008 Andres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane
Not much to say, his stylish writing and unique view of the main topics in life (love, hate, honor, etc) is just overwhelming.

"She was a phantom of delight
When first she gleamed upon my sight;
A lovely Apparition, sent
To be a moments ornament;
Her eyes as stars of Twilight fair;
Like Twilights, too, her dusky hair;
But all things else about her drawn
From Maytime and the cheerful Dawn
A dancing Shape, an Image Gay,
To haunt, to startle, and waylay"

I suggest to read "Character of the Happy Warrior"
Iraín
Feb 03, 2017 Iraín rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No niego el talento que tiene William Wordsworth, y el peso que tiene dentro de la poesía inglesa. Aún así, solo me llevo unos cuantos párrafos de sus poemas a destacar que me gustaron mucho, pero con su exaltación a la naturaleza no logré llegar a sentir conexión con él en sus palabras, capaz debería volver a leerlo.
Angela
Mar 01, 2016 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A notable writer, like Blake, from the British Romantic Period. I feel inept to properly review his work for what it is worth. It was a good read to discuss for class, because I was able to understand the pieces on a deeper level. He did help the movement to a more common language for prose and poetry. If the masses can not understand what is being written, why right? For that, I commend him.
Sammy
Sep 10, 2016 Sammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
One of my top dozen pre-WWII poets in the English language, alongside Shakespeare, Dryden, Keats, Emerson, Wadsworth Longfellow, Whitman, Dickinson, Tennyson, Christina Rossetti, Yeats, and Wallace Stevens.
Hayden
Sep 17, 2015 Hayden rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, university
I'm still not a huge fan of poetry but at least Wordsworth made it a bit more enjoyable than Pope. I loved The Ruined Cottage and The Brothers, however I did find some of the poems slightly repetitive (but I think that might be more of an issue with the collection rather than Wordsworth).
Julian
Mar 19, 2012 Julian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good selection of Wordsworth.
'Lucy Gray' is my instant favorite Wordsworth poem. His style reminds me of a peaceful countryside. I like his narrative poems but only the short ones.
Matt De Kam
Oct 19, 2007 Matt De Kam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deferred
Wordsworth is one of my favorites.
Daffodils is one of the best.
The world is too much with us.
My heart leaps up.
etc, etc.
Lisa
Jul 30, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He has quite a few lovely poems. One of my favorite is 'I wandered lonely as a cloud'.
Winter Sophia Rose
Touching, Timeless & Beautiful! One Of The Greatest Poets!
Steve
Jan 09, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pleasure
Loved Composed upon Westminster Bridge, London 1802, Lines Written in Early Spring, The World is Too Much with Us. I didn't like Idiot Boy
James
Aug 22, 2015 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Circumstances of Will's fame are clearly (merely, really/)
Byproducts from the fortune of his naming.../s
Emily Mejia
so inspiring...
Xiao-xia Li
Aug 20, 2013 Xiao-xia Li rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a non English native speaker, it's pretty challenging to read English poetry. However, Wordsworth is one of those poets who unfolded the world in his imagery regardless of the language barrier!
Jim  Justice
Jan 07, 2016 Jim Justice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poet is father to his verse.
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2010
Myra
Myra rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
Ariel Elizabeth
Ariel Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Dusty Rowland
Dusty Rowland rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Ian Jackson
Ian Jackson rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
  • Selected Poetry
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • The Collected Poetry of Paul Laurence Dunbar
  • Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: Poems and Other Writings
  • Rudyard Kipling: Selected Poems
  • Poems of Christina Rossetti
  • The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose
  • Byron's Poetry
  • Golden Treasury
  • The Complete Poetry
William Wordsworth was a major English romantic poet who, with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, helped launch the Romantic Age in English literature with their 1798 joint publication, Lyrical Ballads.

Wordsworth's masterpiece is generally considered to be The Prelude, an autobiographical poem of his early years which the poet revised and expanded a number of times. The work was posthumously titled and publ
More about William Wordsworth...

“And yet the wiser mind
Mourns less for what age takes away
Than what it leaves behind.”
27 likes