Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight

The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight (The Berenstain Bears)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,967 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
"The usually compatible Brother and Sister Bear are fighting--all day long! Mama Bear helps them realize that everyone argues once in a while, even with loved ones."--The Reading Teacher.
Published April 12th 1982 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins GilmanNo, David! by David ShannonWe Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel ShriverJump at the Sun by Kim McLarinThe Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri
Struggling with motherhood
14th out of 14 books — 4 voters
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonMacbeth by William ShakespeareWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Revenge
139th out of 245 books — 209 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack
Sep 18, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it
Jack: (cracking up) This is HILARIOUS! Look, the Mom gets so upset she whistles with her fingers and her eyes cross! Ha ha ha!

me: Is that your favorite part?

Jack: I think the best part is when the neighbors didn’t know which was worse (he reads from the book) “the big storm or the racket coming from the bears’ house.” Ha ha haaaaa!

me: Do you think other kids would like this book?

Jack: Of course! Didn’t you hear me say it was funny? Kids love funny books. But there are a few bad words in here.

me:

When two small bears
Don't get along,
The grownups worry--
What went wrong?

Brother and Sister get into a fight. It starts with something silly and brews into a huge fight. Papa gets drawn into it and only Mama keeps a cool head.
Amber
May 07, 2015 Amber added it
I read this and other Berenstain books repeatedly as a child. I enjoyed them then. I'm not putting stars on these partly b/c I feel I'd need to look at them again to see what I'd rate them now, and I don't have them available (which in itself tells you they aren't big favorites I guess). In adulthood, I still like some things about these books, other things not so much. One of the bigger things I don't care for is that they often seem to make Papa Bear out to be rather foolish, while Mama is usu ...more
Becky
Sep 16, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Short book with good message as per usual Berenstain Bears. One I haven't purchased for grand kids yet but definitely will. My granddaughters just got bunk beds so I think they will see themselves as this book is read to them. Read this free via my county library 3M app.
Haley Hunter
Mar 29, 2015 Haley Hunter rated it liked it
Shelves: book-selection
These books are really cute and they always have a good meaning, just like this book has. I would read this the a group of children because of the meaning. I really enjoyed reading this book and it makes me want to read more of these books.
Carissa M
Sep 16, 2012 Carissa M rated it really liked it
"Get in a Fight" by Stan Berenstain is another book that teaches kids lessons as they grow up, that it is okay to argue and compares a fight to a storm. The storm eventually clears up and a beautiful rainbow takes its place. Brother and Sister bear wake up grumpy one morning and begin to snap at each other, at the end of the day Mother and Papa bear intervene and ask the cubs if they even remember why they were fighting. The Sister and Brother make up and continue to work on their treehouse and ...more
Tessa Napolitano
Mar 18, 2015 Tessa Napolitano rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
Had to choose one of the many Berenstain Bears stories because I loved them so much as a child...this is another classic that teaches an important lesson to children about sharing and consideration
May
Jun 16, 2013 May rated it did not like it
I found this book wholly unsatisfying while reading it with my 5 year old nephew, who coincidentally has a baby sister.

The premise is easy to understand. Brother and sister get into a fight without any reason. Father is useless in resolving the fight and it is up to Mother to spout some nonsense about fighting and then pointing to a rainbow afterwards. Somehow reader is led to believe everything will be okay until the next fight.

If I am confused by the moral, imagine my nephew. Actually he pre
Steve
Jul 17, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
I love reading the Berenstain Bears books to my children. Each and every one of them sends a positive message.
TheMcafeeKids
Feb 05, 2013 TheMcafeeKids rated it really liked it
The bird woke the kids up. Brother and sister went on the bus and had lunch together. Sister put her feet in the brother's face and he said no and they argued. He was mad and she was not happy. They argued and she went to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth, hair and soaked her face. They didn't sit together on the bus - he was on the back and she was on the front. They sat in the rain. She took all his dinosaurs and she rolled them. He put all the toys up. Their Papa yelled at them. The Mom whi ...more
Christina
Oct 03, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing
Brother and Sister usually get along, but not today. It was a very cute story about forgiving.
Jeremy
Jul 27, 2015 Jeremy rated it did not like it
Like most of the other Berenstain books, very matriarchal, with a dummy daddy.
Chad Lamb
I can't imagine why my parents bought my sister and me this one.
Service Room 12
Mar 29, 2016 Service Room 12 rated it liked it
I liked when they were fighting. By Thomas.
Sarah King
Brother and Sister can't seem to stop fighting!
Sydney Byrne
Nov 01, 2015 Sydney Byrne rated it did not like it
She didn't like that they got into fights.
Steve
Jul 11, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents who want to bring up the topic of fighting
My sons fight and I was an only child, and I freak out sometimes when they fight. I've gotten much better at tolerating their fights, but that's not the same thing as having a dialogue about the fighting. It's hard to get a book that isn't too preachy or moralistic. This book has the mother as the one who saves them. Fighting is likened to a storm, it eventually ends, and sometimes a rainbow comes up, like getting along together again. I liked it, and my son asked to read it again right after I ...more
Crystal
Mar 26, 2014 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: james, hazel, childrens
I loved these books as a kid and now that my children have them, I've slowly been re-reading them. This one is a cute story; I like that it shows that arguments are a normal part of life but I felt that they could have done a better job and explaining how to handle arguments. The book sorta makes it sound like you fight with someone and then everything is magically great again, which is often not the case in real life.
Miss Meghan's Class
Oct 22, 2012 Miss Meghan's Class rated it really liked it
Another good book about sharing and the usual bickering that happens between siblings. I wish my sister and I had read this when we were younger. Read this to the three little girls and I noticed the two that always bicker (sisters), even though they are only 3 and 4, started being a little nicer to each other that day. It didn't last - but that day was nice.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I remember this -- tree house, dopey feet!

It's not that great though because honestly it doesn't address, like, at all, that there are productive ways of arguing or how to manage emotions or that you can't just call people names and then everything's okay because rainbows. I feel like there's a lot of be taught here but the book addressed none of it.
Shelli
Aug 03, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice way of explaining that family doesn't always get along, especially the ones we live with. But if we can weather the storm, move on and forgive we are rewarded with a beautiful rainbow... or at least feel better toward one another. Stan and Jan Berenstain write books that are a must read for every parent and child.
Kayla Quinn
Dec 02, 2013 Kayla Quinn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-specific
The story is about how brother and sister bear could not get along. They had upset the entire house, but by the end of the book, they could not remember what the big argument was about. I would choose this book for a class because it is a classic book with life lesson that children can use later on.
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 17th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. In this book brother and sister bear get into a fight with each other. The one thing I love about this book is the use of the storm as a metaphor for the fight and the use of the rainbow as a metaphor for the end of the fight.
Erika Conley
The moral of this story is that everyone gets into arguments once in a while, but in the end, we still love each other. The Berenstain Bears series is always an exciting read, and has detailed illustrations of the stories. This is no exception!
Erica Mayberry
Apr 02, 2014 Erica Mayberry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x460
This book is great for children to realize how to get along with others. It might not happen at all times, but learning to work through it is the key.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it
i'm not sure if this was a lesson book or not, but it's not like my brother and i were angels to each other. but i'm sure however we ended up wrapping up out fights, it wasn't as huggy feely as the berenstain bears ending...
Nicollette Brewster
oh my goodness, i remember these books like it was yesterday. ah, to be a child again. it's weird, when i saw this cover i could remember reading it almost like it was yesterday or something like i never forgot it.
Thomas Hogle
Feb 22, 2012 Thomas Hogle rated it really liked it
This is one of the more humorous berenstain books. Jan and Stan do a good job taking a topic like fighting and making it funny. I would recommend this book even if your not a berenstain bears fan.
Christy
Dec 04, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia
  • Curious George Goes to a Costume Party
  • Arthur's Nose (Arthur Adventure Series)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark