Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight

The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight (The Berenstain Bears)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  3,333 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The usually compatible Brother and Sister Bear are fighting--all day long!
Mama Bear helps them realize that everyone argues once in a while, even with
loved ones."-- "The Reading Teacher.
Covercraft, 32 pages
Published April 1st 1982 by Perfection Learning

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight

Jack
Sep 18, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack: (cracking up) This is HILARIOUS! Look, the Mom gets so upset she whistles with her fingers and her eyes cross! Ha ha ha!

me: Is that your favorite part?

Jack: I think the best part is when the neighbors didn’t know which was worse (he reads from the book) “the big storm or the racket coming from the bears’ house.” Ha ha haaaaa!

me: Do you think other kids would like this book?

Jack: Of course! Didn’t you hear me say it was funny? Kids love funny books. But there are a few bad words in here.

me:
May
Jun 16, 2013 May rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book wholly unsatisfying while reading it with my 5 year old nephew, who coincidentally has a baby sister.

The premise is easy to understand. Brother and sister get into a fight without any reason. Father is useless in resolving the fight and it is up to Mother to spout some nonsense about fighting and then pointing to a rainbow afterwards. Somehow reader is led to believe everything will be okay until the next fight.

If I am confused by the moral, imagine my nephew. Actually he pre
Joy
When two small bears
Don't get along,
The grownups worry--
What went wrong?

Brother and Sister get into a fight. It starts with something silly and brews into a huge fight. Papa gets drawn into it and only Mama keeps a cool head.
Reagan
Feb 02, 2017 Reagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it.
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Carissa M
Sep 16, 2012 Carissa M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Get in a Fight" by Stan Berenstain is another book that teaches kids lessons as they grow up, that it is okay to argue and compares a fight to a storm. The storm eventually clears up and a beautiful rainbow takes its place. Brother and Sister bear wake up grumpy one morning and begin to snap at each other, at the end of the day Mother and Papa bear intervene and ask the cubs if they even remember why they were fighting. The Sister and Brother make up and continue to work on their treehouse and ...more
TheMcafeeKids
Feb 02, 2013 TheMcafeeKids rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bird woke the kids up. Brother and sister went on the bus and had lunch together. Sister put her feet in the brother's face and he said no and they argued. He was mad and she was not happy. They argued and she went to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth, hair and soaked her face. They didn't sit together on the bus - he was on the back and she was on the front. They sat in the rain. She took all his dinosaurs and she rolled them. He put all the toys up. Their Papa yelled at them. The Mom whi ...more
Stef
Nov 29, 2016 Stef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Brother wakes up grumpy one morning for no particular reason and takes it out on Sister, which initiates them being pissed at each other until Mama Bear points out that they don't even know what they're fighting about, and then the fight is over. This story didn't do too much for me in that I don't know what my takeaway should be from this. That's it's okay and normal to fight? But what about when it isn't? I guess Brother and Sister making up for no reason makes sense because they fought for no ...more
Amber
I read this and other Berenstain books repeatedly as a child. I enjoyed them then. I'm not putting stars on these partly b/c I feel I'd need to look at them again to see what I'd rate them now, and I don't have them available (which in itself tells you they aren't big favorites I guess). In adulthood, I still like some things about these books, other things not so much. One of the bigger things I don't care for is that they often seem to make Papa Bear out to be rather foolish, while Mama is usu ...more
Steve
Jul 11, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who want to bring up the topic of fighting
My sons fight and I was an only child, and I freak out sometimes when they fight. I've gotten much better at tolerating their fights, but that's not the same thing as having a dialogue about the fighting. It's hard to get a book that isn't too preachy or moralistic. This book has the mother as the one who saves them. Fighting is likened to a storm, it eventually ends, and sometimes a rainbow comes up, like getting along together again. I liked it, and my son asked to read it again right after I ...more
Crystal
Sep 19, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I loved these books as a kid and now that my children have them, I've slowly been re-reading them. This one is a cute story; I like that it shows that arguments are a normal part of life but I felt that they could have done a better job and explaining how to handle arguments. The book sorta makes it sound like you fight with someone and then everything is magically great again, which is often not the case in real life.
Kayla Quinn
Dec 01, 2013 Kayla Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacher-specific
The story is about how brother and sister bear could not get along. They had upset the entire house, but by the end of the book, they could not remember what the big argument was about. I would choose this book for a class because it is a classic book with life lesson that children can use later on.
Shelli
Aug 03, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Nice way of explaining that family doesn't always get along, especially the ones we live with. But if we can weather the storm, move on and forgive we are rewarded with a beautiful rainbow... or at least feel better toward one another. Stan and Jan Berenstain write books that are a must read for every parent and child.
Miss Meghan's Class
Another good book about sharing and the usual bickering that happens between siblings. I wish my sister and I had read this when we were younger. Read this to the three little girls and I noticed the two that always bicker (sisters), even though they are only 3 and 4, started being a little nicer to each other that day. It didn't last - but that day was nice.
Erika Conley
The moral of this story is that everyone gets into arguments once in a while, but in the end, we still love each other. The Berenstain Bears series is always an exciting read, and has detailed illustrations of the stories. This is no exception!
Shacoria
Jun 25, 2011 Shacoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Small Children
This is the 17th Berenstain Bears book that I have read. In this book brother and sister bear get into a fight with each other. The one thing I love about this book is the use of the storm as a metaphor for the fight and the use of the rainbow as a metaphor for the end of the fight.
Becky
Sep 15, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short book with good message as per usual Berenstain Bears. One I haven't purchased for grand kids yet but definitely will. My granddaughters just got bunk beds so I think they will see themselves as this book is read to them. Read this free via my county library 3M app.
Haley Hunter
These books are really cute and they always have a good meaning, just like this book has. I would read this the a group of children because of the meaning. I really enjoyed reading this book and it makes me want to read more of these books.
chucklesthescot
I liked this one. The expressions on the faces of Brother and Sister Bear as they have their big fight and get petty with each other was quite funny! I loved the amount of time that Sister was taking in the bathroom while Brother fumed outside. I love these bears!
Nicollette Brewster
oh my goodness, i remember these books like it was yesterday. ah, to be a child again. it's weird, when i saw this cover i could remember reading it almost like it was yesterday or something like i never forgot it.
angrykitty
Feb 22, 2008 angrykitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i'm not sure if this was a lesson book or not, but it's not like my brother and i were angels to each other. but i'm sure however we ended up wrapping up out fights, it wasn't as huggy feely as the berenstain bears ending...
Steph
Jan 16, 2012 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Cute
Sarah King
Brother and Sister can't seem to stop fighting!
Anna
Not really great for much. maybe comprehension. It would be okay for 3rd grade.
PWRL
Jan 17, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Nickie
Dec 08, 2013 Nickie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-tales
I think it would be a better if the lesson was not to fight, rather than to teach children that fighting is a part of life.
Emely
Dec 20, 2008 Emely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Lesson: We sometimes fight even with people that we love.
Christina
Oct 02, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brother and Sister usually get along, but not today. It was a very cute story about forgiving.
Shannon
May 13, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1988
"Shannon 1988." Why in the world would anyone want a sibling after reading this book?
Rebekah
Nov 30, 2009 Rebekah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Did anyone else's mother love to read this book to them whenever they faught with their siblings? Or was it just mine?

Ah Childhood Memories.
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia
  • Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark