Start by marking “A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)

A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  669 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Published July 3rd 2007 by NAL Trade (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Voices

Pamela
This is my second experience with a Lisa Wingate novel. And though it didn’t encapsulate and wow me like her novel - The Prayer Box, I thought it a delightfully poignant story with elements I could easily relate to: Oklahoma, adoption, friendship, music, Kiamichi Mountains, and third-world country orphanage missions.

“Each of us is a product of an individual set of experiences, a completely unique work of art. Only when we understand one another’s stories can we really understand one another.” –
Loraine
SUMMARY: Adopted at thirteen, Dell Jordan was loved, mentored, and encouraged to pursue her passion for music. Now, at twenty, after a year abroad with a traveling symphony, a scholarship to Julliard is within reach. But underneath Dell's smoothly polished surface lurk mysteries from the past. Why did her mother abandon her? Who was her father? Are there faces somewhere that look like hers-blood relatives she's never met?

Determined to find answers, Dell sets off on a secret journey into Oklahoma
Laura Cottam Sajbel
Jun 25, 2014 Laura Cottam Sajbel rated it really liked it
I read this book because I am to be on a panel with its author, but what started as a sense of obligation quickly became admiration. This is not typically my kind of genre; however, Wingate has painted such a sensitive and compelling picture of a Choctaw family that she won me over. Twenty years ago, I compiled an oral history of people involved in American Indian education and in the pow wows in Los Angeles (shameless plug: Pow Wows and Potlucks is coming out this fall from Ethnographic Press!) ...more
Sandra Pinney
Sep 26, 2011 Sandra Pinney rated it liked it
I think I will give this a 2.75. :o) It's a sweet story about a girl trying to find out where she came from. I liked enough at first, but towards the end sort of lost interest, I don't know why. I didn't even know it was part of a series until I got onto goodreads, I don't think anything was missing by not reading the first 4 books. I have a feeling they are only sort of related. But anyway, this was nothing special, but not a complete waste of time either. It was good for reading on an airplane ...more
Cricket Muse
Aug 03, 2013 Cricket Muse rated it really liked it
I grabbed this off the shelf not realizing it was the last in a series. I felt it stands well on its own; however, if its the last in the series it seems unfinished, as if it there will be a sequel. Wingate is a talented writer and her research on the Choctaw tribe is impressive. The biggest standout is the characterization, how each character becomes important to the story from a childhood friend to a garden club lady to child at a campground. Wingate gives life to each character so that they p ...more
Joanne Wisniewski
Aug 04, 2007 Joanne Wisniewski rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adoptive mothers
I can't believe that Lisa Wingate has written books about all the main topics of my life. When I read her books I feel that she knows me and i enjoy every minute of them.
I enjoyed reading her books as a farm girl, a sister, a teacher and an adoptive mother.
Sonya
Dec 28, 2015 Sonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: current
A girl-turned woman struggles with rejection and belonging as she seeks to know her real father, after being adopted. Not wanting to hurt her adopted parents, she travels to where her life began, hoping to find answers and prove that she is ready to know them. Unexplained memories haunt her until she confronts them. Twists in the path bring emotions that she thought that she had locked away, not to be shown.

Helpful in dealing with my own son's questions as he grows, accepted, adopted and loved
Rachel M.
Jul 26, 2011 Rachel M. rated it liked it
*Note: This book really has a 3.5 star rating!!!

This book is supposed to be the conclusion to a 5-book series. However, I don't feel like this book settled anything for me. Rather than tying up all the loose ends, it simply left some loose ends that hadn't been covered in previous books, such as Keiler and Julia's relationship, untouched, and it created even more questions without answers, such as "Will Dell find her brother Angelo now that she has some potential contact information?" or "Will D
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
This was my least favorite of all the Lisa Wingate books I've read. It's a sequel to her previous books, "Tending Roses" and "The Language of the Sycamores" and continues the story of Dell, who was adopted by Karen and James.

Dell has been loved and mentored by her adoptive parents and given every opportunity to study and learn and travel. At twenty, she is feeling the pressure to attend Juilliard and continue her music. However, she has always wondered about her birth parents and her Native Amer
Andrea
May 24, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
There's nothing like finding out you just read the last book in a series after you're finished reading. But, it says something for "A Thousand Voices" that it could be read as a standalone book. I didn't feel lost about any of the characters or situations while reading the book. Nothing in the book itself indicated a series-it was only searching for it on GoodReads that I found that it's book 5 of the Tending Roses series.

Dell Jordan has spent the last two years trying to find herself. College d
Vivian
Nov 05, 2013 Vivian rated it liked it
I found this book interesting. The author made the Choctaw people come to life for me. Winding the music and art throughout the story was well done and added to the story. I did feel at times that the same thing was being stated repeatedly though. After the umpteenth time of Dell feeling like "something was missing in her", I wanted to say "okay, I get it...she needs to find her birth family". Also, I'm not sure if the relationship was developed between Dell and Jace just to add some romance alo ...more
Suzanne Cooper
Feb 18, 2015 Suzanne Cooper rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Wingate writes with a simple, heartfelt clarity; endearing characters; very enjoyable to read. Dell is a young adult, talented in her music & is searching for her identity both in her past & in her future. She travels to Oklahoma, to the heart of the Choctaw Nation, looking for a link to her past & finds one to her future as well.
JNL
Jan 12, 2015 JNL rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Not sure that I liked the ending. I guess I get to choose what path she choose - Dell is extremely happy in my mind. :) I loved Dell and her 'family'. Haven't read a Lisa Wingate book that I haven't liked! Bring on the next one.
Cindy
Oct 30, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
I didn't realize that it was part of a series until I was finished and was reading the "Conversation Guide" in the back of the book! I liked this book, but could only give it 3 stars, because I find it unbelievable that a romantic connection can become so strong in the short period in which it happened in this book. I felt like the book went on and on about Dell finding her dad and then, all of a sudden, it happened! I would have like more of the book to have focused on Dell and her dad. I can d ...more
Alissa
Nov 04, 2015 Alissa rated it liked it
Good easy read with a good story. I read the first book in the series on recommendation from a friend. I wish we could have had a little more follow up or resolution with dells life at the very end.
Jeanne Adamek
Aug 15, 2014 Jeanne Adamek rated it really liked it
My least favorite from the "Tending Roses" series. I really enjoy Ms. Wingate`s writing, but this is the first time that I didn't feel any real connection and felt like the book was left up in the air. Although I realize that there is bit more from Dell's story in the book Beyond Summer it didn't quite take away the slight feeling of disappointment I had at the end of this story.

Aug 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A nice, feel-good book. Wingate is gifted at keeping you wanting to turn pages and continue reading chapter after chapter.
Rita
Jan 31, 2016 Rita rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about the Choctaw Indians in Oklahoma, and I have a research list as a result of this book.
Linda Sammaritan
Oct 09, 2015 Linda Sammaritan rated it it was amazing
A very satisfying read as we follow Dell all grown up.
Marek
Oct 21, 2015 Marek rated it it was ok
Shelves: real-adult-books, 100
So it's not ok to be blatantly racist but Dell couldn't possibly really like Barry because he's not the same race as her. Got it.
Paula
Jul 30, 2007 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: booksihaveread
I really like Lisa Wingate and this book did not disapoint. Dell needed to find ou
Rachel
Jan 19, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Out of all of the "Tending Roses" series I felt this was less poignant but enjoyed the story line and seeing Dell find herself and the journey she went on to do so. Most of the books in this series had some of Grandma Roses wisdom that were worth highlighting and remembering. Not so much this one.

It was still quite enjoyable to read. I was surprised as it ended that this was the end of the series. I felt it ended with the possibility of maybe another in the series. It could go either way.
Jenny
Mar 19, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
A good, quick read. I found this book when I was searching the library for books about Choctaw Indians. The main character is a young woman, half Choctaw, who is adopted by white parents when she is 12. At age 20, she wants to find out about her heritage and goes on a journey to Oklahoma hoping to find her birth father. Things happen a little too conveniently, but the story is exciting and fun to read. I was hoping to learn some history about the Choctaw tribe, and I did get a few tidbits.
Krystal  Read
Jan 16, 2016 Krystal Read rated it liked it
3.5 stars for me. Good ending for the series.
Kristin Schmidt
Aug 20, 2014 Kristin Schmidt rated it really liked it
I had never read anything by the author. I really enjoyed the book. I will definitely read more from her.
Larisha
Sep 07, 2011 Larisha rated it it was amazing
Lisa Wingate does a wonderful job developing her characters, and I loved how she weaved... As our Sovereign, All-knowing God does - people into each others lives.

In this story; the 4th one I read of hers... Dell is maturing and as I've seen God do time and again in my life... she develops sweet fellowship and brothers, sisters, aunts, though not in blood but a sweet bond. From that, she and the people whose paths she crosses... grow, are stretched and enjoy community!!
Heather
Apr 13, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Good story, but disappointed in the ending! I wish there was an epilogue to sum it up. I don't like leaving it to my imagination.
Rhonda
Jul 09, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoyed reading Lisa Wingate's "Tending Roses" series. Her books are so refreshing for the soul and a great reminder of what really matters in life. This book was a great read (as all her books are), however, I only gave it 4 stars because I wished it would not have ended where it did. There's one last question I felt needed answered. If you're looking for great down to earth, wholesome reading with a little bit of romance, this series is for you!
Jill
Sep 21, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
I accidently read this one before the Drenched In Light one. I enjoy books with uplifting, good messages so I really have enjoyed all her books. They are fiction as perfect happy endings aren't always completly realistic but this one was one of my favorites of the series, I thought the one before it was last and was sad to not know for sure how it all ties together, maybe that made it better I'm not sure. I was hoping for more story though at the end.
Lee
Mar 12, 2010 Lee rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the way Lisa Wingate writes and enjoyed following more of the life of Dell Jordan as she searches for her father. I think that because I often felt out of place in my own life I enjoy seeing how Dell has gone from being afraid of her own shadow to being a strong young woman who is discovering who she is and what she wants out of life. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a sweet story of life and love and family.
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 6 (Aya, #6)
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • My Brother's Keeper
  • Perilous Cove (Perilous Safety Series - Book 1)
  • Diary of an Ugly Duckling
  • Princeless #1
  • Katie's Dream: A Novel (The Wortham Family Series, #3)
  • Archie #2
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • Changes: A Love Story
  • The Passion of Mary-Margaret
  • Rhythms of Grace
  • Your Chariot Awaits (Andi Mc Connell Mystery #1)
  • Drive Me Crazy
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • A Piece of Normal: A Novel
  • Letters Across Time
  • House of Secrets
Lisa Wingate is a popular inspirational speaker, magazine columnist, and national bestselling author of several books, including Tending Roses, Good Hope Road, The Language of Sycamores, and Drenched in Light. Her work was recently honored by the Americans for More Civility for promoting greater kindness and civility in American life. Lisa and her family live in Central Texas.
More about Lisa Wingate...

Tending Roses (5 books)
  • Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1)
  • Good Hope Road  (Tending Roses #2)
  • The Language of Sycamores (Tending Roses #3)
  • Drenched in Light (Tending Roses #4)