Start by marking “A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses #5)

A Thousand Voices (Tending Roses)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Published July 3rd 2007 by NAL Trade (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Voices

Laura Cottam Sajbel
I read this book because I am to be on a panel with its author, but what started as a sense of obligation quickly became admiration. This is not typically my kind of genre; however, Wingate has painted such a sensitive and compelling picture of a Choctaw family that she won me over. Twenty years ago, I compiled an oral history of people involved in American Indian education and in the pow wows in Los Angeles (shameless plug: Pow Wows and Potlucks is coming out this fall from Ethnographic Press!) ...more
Sandra Pinney
I think I will give this a 2.75. :o) It's a sweet story about a girl trying to find out where she came from. I liked enough at first, but towards the end sort of lost interest, I don't know why. I didn't even know it was part of a series until I got onto goodreads, I don't think anything was missing by not reading the first 4 books. I have a feeling they are only sort of related. But anyway, this was nothing special, but not a complete waste of time either. It was good for reading on an airplane ...more
Cricket Muse
I grabbed this off the shelf not realizing it was the last in a series. I felt it stands well on its own; however, if its the last in the series it seems unfinished, as if it there will be a sequel. Wingate is a talented writer and her research on the Choctaw tribe is impressive. The biggest standout is the characterization, how each character becomes important to the story from a childhood friend to a garden club lady to child at a campground. Wingate gives life to each character so that they p ...more
Joanne Wisniewski
Aug 04, 2007 Joanne Wisniewski rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adoptive mothers
I can't believe that Lisa Wingate has written books about all the main topics of my life. When I read her books I feel that she knows me and i enjoy every minute of them.
I enjoyed reading her books as a farm girl, a sister, a teacher and an adoptive mother.
Rachel M.
*Note: This book really has a 3.5 star rating!!!

This book is supposed to be the conclusion to a 5-book series. However, I don't feel like this book settled anything for me. Rather than tying up all the loose ends, it simply left some loose ends that hadn't been covered in previous books, such as Keiler and Julia's relationship, untouched, and it created even more questions without answers, such as "Will Dell find her brother Angelo now that she has some potential contact information?" or "Will D
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
This was my least favorite of all the Lisa Wingate books I've read. It's a sequel to her previous books, "Tending Roses" and "The Language of the Sycamores" and continues the story of Dell, who was adopted by Karen and James.

Dell has been loved and mentored by her adoptive parents and given every opportunity to study and learn and travel. At twenty, she is feeling the pressure to attend Juilliard and continue her music. However, she has always wondered about her birth parents and her Native Amer
Andrea
There's nothing like finding out you just read the last book in a series after you're finished reading. But, it says something for "A Thousand Voices" that it could be read as a standalone book. I didn't feel lost about any of the characters or situations while reading the book. Nothing in the book itself indicated a series-it was only searching for it on GoodReads that I found that it's book 5 of the Tending Roses series.

Dell Jordan has spent the last two years trying to find herself. College d
Vivian
I found this book interesting. The author made the Choctaw people come to life for me. Winding the music and art throughout the story was well done and added to the story. I did feel at times that the same thing was being stated repeatedly though. After the umpteenth time of Dell feeling like "something was missing in her", I wanted to say "okay, I get it...she needs to find her birth family". Also, I'm not sure if the relationship was developed between Dell and Jace just to add some romance alo ...more
Suzanne Cooper
Wingate writes with a simple, heartfelt clarity; endearing characters; very enjoyable to read. Dell is a young adult, talented in her music & is searching for her identity both in her past & in her future. She travels to Oklahoma, to the heart of the Choctaw Nation, looking for a link to her past & finds one to her future as well.
JNL
Not sure that I liked the ending. I guess I get to choose what path she choose - Dell is extremely happy in my mind. :) I loved Dell and her 'family'. Haven't read a Lisa Wingate book that I haven't liked! Bring on the next one.
Cindy
I didn't realize that it was part of a series until I was finished and was reading the "Conversation Guide" in the back of the book! I liked this book, but could only give it 3 stars, because I find it unbelievable that a romantic connection can become so strong in the short period in which it happened in this book. I felt like the book went on and on about Dell finding her dad and then, all of a sudden, it happened! I would have like more of the book to have focused on Dell and her dad. I can d ...more
Jeanne Adamek
My least favorite from the "Tending Roses" series. I really enjoy Ms. Wingate`s writing, but this is the first time that I didn't feel any real connection and felt like the book was left up in the air. Although I realize that there is bit more from Dell's story in the book Beyond Summer it didn't quite take away the slight feeling of disappointment I had at the end of this story.

Paula
Adopted at thirteen, Dell Jordan was loved, mentored, and encouraged to pursue her passion for music. Now, at twenty, after a year abroad with a traveling symphony, a scholarship to Julliard is within reach. But underneath Dell's smoothly polished surface lurk mysteries from the past. Why did her mother abandon her? Who was her father? Are there faces somewhere that look like hers-blood relatives she's never met?
I really like Lisa Wingate and this book did not disapoint. Dell needed to find ou
Rachel
Out of all of the "Tending Roses" series I felt this was less poignant but enjoyed the story line and seeing Dell find herself and the journey she went on to do so. Most of the books in this series had some of Grandma Roses wisdom that were worth highlighting and remembering. Not so much this one.

It was still quite enjoyable to read. I was surprised as it ended that this was the end of the series. I felt it ended with the possibility of maybe another in the series. It could go either way.
Jenny
A good, quick read. I found this book when I was searching the library for books about Choctaw Indians. The main character is a young woman, half Choctaw, who is adopted by white parents when she is 12. At age 20, she wants to find out about her heritage and goes on a journey to Oklahoma hoping to find her birth father. Things happen a little too conveniently, but the story is exciting and fun to read. I was hoping to learn some history about the Choctaw tribe, and I did get a few tidbits.
Kristin Schmidt
I had never read anything by the author. I really enjoyed the book. I will definitely read more from her.
Larisha
Lisa Wingate does a wonderful job developing her characters, and I loved how she weaved... As our Sovereign, All-knowing God does - people into each others lives.

In this story; the 4th one I read of hers... Dell is maturing and as I've seen God do time and again in my life... she develops sweet fellowship and brothers, sisters, aunts, though not in blood but a sweet bond. From that, she and the people whose paths she crosses... grow, are stretched and enjoy community!!
Rhonda
I absolutely enjoyed reading Lisa Wingate's "Tending Roses" series. Her books are so refreshing for the soul and a great reminder of what really matters in life. This book was a great read (as all her books are), however, I only gave it 4 stars because I wished it would not have ended where it did. There's one last question I felt needed answered. If you're looking for great down to earth, wholesome reading with a little bit of romance, this series is for you!
Jill
I accidently read this one before the Drenched In Light one. I enjoy books with uplifting, good messages so I really have enjoyed all her books. They are fiction as perfect happy endings aren't always completly realistic but this one was one of my favorites of the series, I thought the one before it was last and was sad to not know for sure how it all ties together, maybe that made it better I'm not sure. I was hoping for more story though at the end.
Lee
I really enjoy the way Lisa Wingate writes and enjoyed following more of the life of Dell Jordan as she searches for her father. I think that because I often felt out of place in my own life I enjoy seeing how Dell has gone from being afraid of her own shadow to being a strong young woman who is discovering who she is and what she wants out of life. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a sweet story of life and love and family.
Nathalie
I would give this a 5 but I just wanted a little bit more at the end... I think this is the conclusion of the characters that were introduced in Tending Roses, with about 3 or 4 books in between. I enjoyed this one because it covers Native American Indians & I think that we don't always hear/read/see enough positive about them as a culture. Her writing may be predictable but it always leaves me with a good feeling.
Linda Day
A little disappointed in this, the last of the Tending Roses series. Although Ms. Wingate had done a ton of study concerning the Choctaw tribe, and for that I applaud her, that information was inserted awkwardly, and I felt like she was trying to weave the non-fiction into the fiction, and it just came out doing justice to neither. If one likes Wingate, and I do, it was an interesting story.
Anne Broyles
I read this on a friend's recommendation and didn't realize it was the last book in a series. This is a beautifully-written, nuanced road trip of a young woman searching for her pre-adoption identity. She journeys into the Choctaw Nation to find out who her father is and the truth about her mother,but more importantly, she discovers that her past is only one part of her identity.
Ashley
I loved this book! Considering I read it in about two days, I would definitely say it caught my attention! A Thousand Voices is a bout a young lady named Dell,who was adopted and is now searching for her birth father. I think everyone can relate to the feeling of wanting to know where you came from. Her journey is amazing and very entertaining. I would recommend this read to anyone.
Deborah Downing
My second reading by Lisa Wingate. This book touched on real human emotions and a need to belong.
Tanja
Lisa Wingate has a wonderful way of describing her characters and making you feel like you know them. This was one of the books that was hard to put down - as a matter of fact I stayed up until almost 2 pm just to finish the last three chapters. I found that this is the last book in a series of five and I'm definitely interested in reading the first four books as well.
Melissa
Feb 04, 2010 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Leslie, Melanie, Stacey, Lauren, Sarah
I liked this book better than the first book by Lisa Wingate. This girl had a rough life growing up but had good people near her who helped her grow up well. She was eventually adopted by good people, but still questioned her heritage. This book is about that search and what she learns about herself along the way. It has some Choctaw Indian heritage in it.
bookczuk
This book got off to a slow start for me, but I ended up liking the story (even if I did get a little impatient at times.) Learned some interesting things about the Choctaw, too, even if there were times when I felt I was being lectured to.

Very different tone from the other book by this author which I have read. Nice to see versatility in a writer.
Kaycee
This was a pretty good book. Interesting and fun to read. I really liked this. It's one of a series, but can totally be read without the ones before it. I've only read the first one and it was so long ago that I didn't realize they were the same characters until the end of the book when I was looking at the other books the author had written.
Lisa Carter
Hated to see the end of this series. I would have loved one more to wrap up Dell's life—yes, I know I'm a put a bow on it kind of person. But, hey, with real life being so messy sometimes, I love HEAs in my fictional world.

As always, A Thousand Voices is intensely honest and thought-provoking.

Looking forward to other Wingate reads.
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 6 (Aya, #6)
  • My Brother's Keeper
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • Changes: A Love Story
  • The Passion of Mary-Margaret
  • Hideaway Home (Hideaway #10)
  • The Memory Book
  • Rhythms of Grace
  • House of Secrets
  • The Shadow of Your Smile (Deep Haven, #5)
  • Painted Hands: A Novel
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • The Awesome Girl's Guide to Dating Extraordinary Men
  • Katie's Dream: A Novel (The Wortham Family Series, #3)
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • Daily Readings from Every Day a Friday: 90 Devotions to Be Happier 7 Days a Week
  • Travelers Rest
Lisa Wingate is a popular inspirational speaker, magazine columnist, and national bestselling author of several books, including Tending Roses, Good Hope Road, The Language of Sycamores, and Drenched in Light. Her work was recently honored by the Americans for More Civility for promoting greater kindness and civility in American life. Lisa and her family live in Central Texas.
More about Lisa Wingate...

Tending Roses (5 books)
  • Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1)
  • Good Hope Road  (Tending Roses #2)
  • The Language of Sycamores (Tending Roses #3)
  • Drenched in Light (Tending Roses #4)
The Prayer Box Tending Roses (Tending Roses #1) Talk of the Town (Daily Texas, #1) Good Hope Road  (Tending Roses #2) The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)