Start by marking “Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)” as Want to Read:
Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)

Texas Cooking (Texas Hill Country #1)

No one is more surprised than Colleen Collins when she's offered a job writing fluffy magazine articles about rural Texas cooking. But after only a few days in the charming little town of San Saline, the big-city reporter is falling for the local residents, and finding it impossible to resist the infuriating True McKittrick, a local boy-made-good whose mere presence makes ...more
Published September 2nd 2003 by Onyx

To ask other readers questions about Texas Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Cooking

The Negotiator by Dee HendersonThe Guardian by Dee HendersonDanger in the Shadows by Dee HendersonTrue Devotion by Dee HendersonThe Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson
Christian Contemporary Romance Favorites
164th out of 517 books — 362 voters
Almost a Cowboy by Em PetrovaTexas Straight Up by Jodi VaughnCrashing into Tess by Lilly ChristineMade in Nashville by Mandy BaggotCowboy Heat by Sable Hunter
Best Cowboy Romance Books
187th out of 262 books — 274 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Jan 29, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by Lisa Wingate. I had never even heard of her until I bought the 2nd of this series from someone selling some used paperbacks. I picked this one up to read before the one I purchased, and I'm glad to find I enjoyed it. I've been a big fan of Debbie Macomber for the last year or two so I find these to be sort of similar.
Sara
Jun 15, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed the slightly flowery descriptions of the Texas hill country while listening to this sweet romance. The characters were REAL characters. It was so easy to picture the people going about their rural lives and valuing the little things that city life often passes by in haste. The relationship between the main characters was almost secondary to all the relationships and history in the telling.
Kasey
Jan 12, 2009 Kasey rated it really liked it
More of a typical romance than Good Hope Road and Tending Roses, but still one of my favorites because of the bits of wisdom mixed in.
Amy
Jan 27, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: skyring
I read this for BookCrossing a while back and here's what I wrote:

I finished reading this last night, and am quite contented. There's something about a well crafted love story, that can be satisfying, and this one did just that. The depth that Lisa Wingate brought into her story was a welcome surprise. I'd read more of this genere if, like this book, there was less of the heaving bosom and rock hard manhood, and more of the exploration of true heart and true soul.

I have a habit of using little s
Louise
Apr 08, 2009 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Ahhh, Lisa Wingate is such a breath of fresh air!

From back cover:

"No one is more surprised than Colleen Collins when she's offered a job writing fluffy magazine articles about rural Texas cooking. The big-city investigative reporter knows nothing about goats, prickly pears, or peafowl, and to make matters worse, she can't even cook. But thanks to a political scandal that cost Collie her job, her boyfriend, and now-with this demeaning assignment-her self-respect, she has no choice but to drag her
Lbddiaries
Oct 12, 2012 Lbddiaries rated it it was amazing
If you want to *sigh* and feel good after you read a book, you will LOVE this story. This is Book #1 in the Texas Hill Country 3-book series (also Lone Star Cafe and Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner). The character is a city-slicker and her trials and laughter-inducing reactions to small towns and the people who populate them are just perfect. As a former city-slicker, I could so relate. The love story is CLEAN (thank goodness) and you don't miss the TMI of most current romances. I ...more
Debra
May 13, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-romance
A contemporary romance about Callie Collins, a D.C. newspaper writer, who has come to Texas to write articles on Texas cooking because she's out of work. At first scornful of being in "Nowhere, Texas", she soon grows to love the slow pace of life there--and True McKitrick. When the opportunity of her life back in D.C. comes along, she has a choice to make--to follow her mind or to follow her heart.
Kim
Jul 19, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
Colleen a.k.a Collie finds herself without a job, a boyfriend and in a very dark apartment. She's a journalist who did the right thing and is now being sent by an editor friend to Texas to write about food (something she eats, not cooks) and finds more than she ever thought possible.
A
May 06, 2012 A rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed listening to this novel, great narrator ! If you're in need of a sweet story and happy ending, this is a good choice...
Carrie
Feb 03, 2011 Carrie rated it liked it
This was a sweet book about a woman from DC who finds herself (literally and figuratively) in a small town in Texas.
Emaly
Jan 09, 2010 Emaly rated it liked it
I liked this book. It occasionally veered strongly into Sapsville, but at least the main character recognized it. I can relate to a character who is probably sappier that she would like to admit.
Cathy Daniel
Sep 27, 2013 Cathy Daniel rated it it was amazing
What a funny, sweet book with a lot of heart!
Lisa
Sep 30, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book that was set in the hill county of Texas. i knew all the towns that were mentioned in tbe book, but the one that Collie went to visit to do her articles for the women's magazine. Lisa twists in fun and adventure and a love story into this book.
Lauren
Feb 04, 2016 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-reads, chick-lit
The characters? Lame. The plot? Cheesy. What was there to love about this book? Not much.

Collie Collins (no lie), the protagonist, has been given some pity freelance work writing floozy articles about a few little towns in Texas. Having just emerged on the losing side of a big political scandal in the journalism world, she accepts it begrudgingly. However, when she finally ends up in San Saline and gets to know the residents there, she winds up liking it and the hunky cowboy who runs the local
Jai Francy
Aug 24, 2013 Jai Francy rated it really liked it
I love when I am surprised with an excellent book. This It happens often when I purchase a discounted book and come up with an enjoyable read and another much loved author to enjoy. I immediately put the rest of this series of her books on my wish list. If all chick lit were this good – I’d read it all the time.

A story about an out of work journalist who takes a job well below her abilities because it’s the only job she can get, only to find that it leads her to on a great adventure in finding o
Linda
Aug 18, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok
Someone loaned me this and it was my first exposure to the author. It will be my last, just not my kind of book. I realize that some people love small town life and the Texas scenery sounds beautiful but it's too cute how everyone loves living without modern conveniences. I agree that some people can get carried away by technology but the implication is that if you like creature comforts you're verging on immoral and evil.

The plot and the ending are telegraphed from page one which is true of mos
Caroline
"Texas Cooking" is like what Colleen calls her articles about San Saline - fluff. Wingate descriptions of the landscape and the people are so captivating that I want to go there and see for myself.

The first few chapters reminded me of Lynn Austin's "Wonderland Creek". But later, the romance and more fluff took over. The romance is sweet with True being a typical perfect male.

The narrator, Johanna Parker did a great job on the Texan accents - no over-the-top stuff.
JNL
Mar 20, 2012 JNL rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
I just listened to this book for the second time on a recent road trip from Kansas to my own home in the Texas Hill Country and I loved it just as much this second time through! Driving along I35 - I saw the exits to all the places Lisa mentions in her book. Made me feel that much closer to the characters and places. It also made me think about the present and making the most of what I have and who I have and about cherishing it all!
Amara
Jul 23, 2013 Amara rated it liked it
Light, and maybe not outstanding, a little corny, but I remember being a little sorry when I finished so I must have got into it a little more than I thought. I think it must have been written when the "angel craze" was sweeping through America, so we got treated to hints of angels which was a little annoying, but I liked the standard "rugged cowboy", "slightly scatterbrained redhead", and other typecasted characters. They had little twists...so.
Carol
Aug 27, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
I didn't quite like this as much as some of Lisa's other books, but this was a light, entertaining (and predictable) read that felt like a made-for-tv movie. It was just what I needed after slogging through a 700+ page fantasy novel all summer long. I do wish some of those Texas recipes had been included!
Pam
Jan 06, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it
Fun read. I loved the characters in this novel. The main character, Laura, is faced with making a life changing decision in her career. She winds up in central Texas, far away from her big city job in the East. This is an uproariously funny story that will leave you with a good feeling in the end.
Amanda
Jul 28, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
I didn't actually READ this book...I listened to it. I have to say, I quite enjoyed the story. It was a bit predictable in the end, but perhaps that's because I've read a later book in this same series. I have enjoyed all the Lisa Wingate books I've read--however, I do prefer her later books to her earlier.
Erin
Even though the story was somewhat predictable, Johanna Parker's voice wrapped around me like a warm hug, and Lisa Wingate's description of the countryside and people actually made me want to visit Texas. And that is really saying something!
Diane ~Firefly~
Nov 26, 2014 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it liked it
It was a good story with a lot of background on a small town in Texas. The story seemed to get a bit preachy about slowing down, following your heart, etc here and there. Not a lot to the romance as it seemed more like a finding yourself story.
May 25, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
I would have liked more character development as it felt a lot like a bunch of vignettes of people rather than a real story about the main character. I think San Saline sounds like an interesting place with fun people, so the author did a good job with those stories!
Katie
Sep 30, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it
Loved it! Lisa Wingate is one of my favorite authors. I wish I had know beforehand though that her books were kind of a series - I would have read them in order so I wouldn't have already know the outcome of this book.
Joyce
Oct 30, 2010 Joyce rated it liked it
This was a fun book but VERY predictable. I DO enjoy Lisa Wingate's writing and it was a cute story but I didnt' like it as much as some of her others....
Alissa
Nov 16, 2008 Alissa rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a series in which I read the third one a while ago. I wish I had started with this one because some of the characters from the third were introduced in this one.
Denise
Sep 03, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
A friend recommended this author to me. I enjoyed this satisfying romance. Very predictable, but fun.
Melissa ownsbey
Jan 24, 2013 Melissa ownsbey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-suspence
loved the cover the boot sailt shakers weere cute
this was g ood book it was very delightful to read i loved the chavtters in the story
Texas Hill Country Visitor, Visitor Guides, Exact Locations, Hours 1 2 Oct 25, 2015 04:19AM
  • The Last of the Honky-Tonk Angels (Lucy Hatch, #2)
  • Jane and Austen
  • Fiesta Moon (Moonstruck #2)
  • Katie's Forever Promise (Emma Raber's Daughter, #3)
  • The Amish Midwife (Lancaster Courtships, #3)
  • The Trouble With Lacy Brown (Mule Hollow, #1)
  • A Mother's Promise (Women of Pinecraft #3)
  • Simple Deceit (Harmony, #2)
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy, #2)
  • In Firefly Valley (Texas Crossroads, #2)
  • The House at Rose Creek
  • The Path to Piney Meadows
  • A Rancher for Their Mom
  • Under a Georgia Moon
  • The Bachelor (Plain City Peace #2)
  • Perilous Cove (Perilous Safety Series - Book 1)
  • Covered Bridge Charm
  • Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)
Lisa Wingate is a popular inspirational speaker, magazine columnist, and national bestselling author of several books, including Tending Roses, Good Hope Road, The Language of Sycamores, and Drenched in Light. Her work was recently honored by the Americans for More Civility for promoting greater kindness and civility in American life. Lisa and her family live in Central Texas.
More about Lisa Wingate...

Texas Hill Country (3 books)
  • Lone Star Cafe (Texas Hill Country #2)
  • Over the Moon at the Big Lizard Diner (Texas Hill Country #3)