Start by marking “Religions of the World [With CDROM]” as Want to Read:
Religions of the World [With CDROM]

Religions of the World [With CDROM]

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This comprehensive yet concise book makes a reader-friendly introduction to World Religions-ideal for those with no previous exposure to Religious Studies or the study of religion more generally. Offering accurate, comparative descriptions of religions, it gives background material on religious theory and study, while exploring the historical and cultural factors. This boo ...more
Published July 16th 2006 by Prentice Hall (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Religions of the World [With CDROM], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Religions of the World [With CDROM]

Arwa
I was given this book to read by one of my students a few years ago. I was reluctant to read the section about my religion as I felt that it would likely trash my religion and my culture. I was very relieved to see how it really highlighted the positive aspects of every religion as if each part of it was written by an advocate of the respective religion it was describing. I have a lot of respect for that since religion is a sensitive issue and there is no value in highlighting the differences be ...more
Luis Branco
I have enjoyed reading this book and learned many things especially about the Native American Religions and also of the African Religions. The way the book is written is easy to read and I found very interesting the inclusion in the whole book sections "From the Source". It was very interesting also to learn about the Zoroastrianism, especially after a long time outside of India where I served as missionary.

I would point as a weakness to the book the lack of more information about Latin American
Avigdor Qian
Each time I encounter an new religion, I refer to it. Even the religion I familiar with, I am always find something new and something deeper than my previous knowledge.
Joecolelife
Sep 02, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: www.CocoMartini.com
I have been using Hopfe's book since the fourth edition, and I have found it to be very useful and reliable in my classes. The book shows an awareness of the nuances relevant to the various topics (including definition, contra the claim by a previous reviewer who didn't seem to read past the first page) and Woodward's updating and website keep the book up to date. Yes, the glossary could be more extensive, but I tend to work from the book and not just within the confines of the book (as I'm sure ...more
Jacob Savage
Aug 14, 2007 Jacob Savage rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Christian looking to explore a basic understanding of the other major beliefs in the world.
This book was a great help as far as understanding the basics of other religions. It helped me come to understand how people can take an idea and run with it when it comes to their view of religion; by revealing the corrupt history of many religions and their impacts on different societies and cultures. I read the book as a part of my World Religions course during my Junior year in high school and it was a good complement to the course.
Al Gritten
A good general survey text for world religions. It has even handed coverage and a balanced approach to religion, covering the major religions in a very broad and general sense. As I said, it is an overview, intended for use in undergrad courses. I have read other books by Hopfe, the lead author, and find him to be both knowledgeable and thorough in his coverage.
Anna
A very well written text on several of the major religions. It's broken into regions and offers maps and snippets of scared text to illustrate the information. Information not only is given on the formation of the religion and it's founder but on the history of its beginnings and on to present times as well as someof it's major festivals and holidays.
Tim Morris
Jul 28, 2007 Tim Morris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who aint close-minded
Outstanding, comprehensive work of the major world religions. Excellent non-assuming, non-intrusive style of writing as well. PLEASE read this and expand your horizons.
Alex
It was one of my textbooks for a year long course in World Religions. There was some inaccurate information, but the text is fairly easy to read, not too dry.
Kory
Really good book for getting a basic understanding of other religions
Statikpulse
had some boring parts but pretty educational
Rusti
1 copy available
Tracey Landfair
Tracey Landfair marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Eric Jennings
Eric Jennings marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Ashley Walker
Ashley Walker marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Kamocha Christopher
Kamocha Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Shibu
Shibu marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
N
N marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Devin Curtis
Devin Curtis is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Zalatan
Zalatan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Hance Kipingu
Hance Kipingu marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Laurent Cyprian
Laurent Cyprian marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Benedict Peter
Benedict Peter is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2015
  • Ancient Mystery Cults
  • Dionysus: Myth and Cult
  • Death of a Guru
  • The Oxford Companion to the Bible
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • Ethics: Discovering Right and Wrong
  • Eternal Marriage Student Manual
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts
  • Chronological Study Bible: Explore God's Word In Historical Order- New King James Version (NKJV)
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • The Essence of Christianity
  • The Greeks and the Irrational
Religions of the World: Media and Research Update [With CD (Audio)] Religions of the World and Sacred World, Encounters with the World's Religions CD-ROM Package Uncovering Ancient Stones: Essays in Memory of H. Neil Richardson World Religions Religions of the World, and Time: World Religion Special Edition