Start by marking “Rats and Gargoyles” as Want to Read:
Rats and Gargoyles

Rats and Gargoyles (White Crow Sequence #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The highly acclaimed author of Ancient Light returns with an arresting fantasy set at "the heart of the world". Wicked Rat Lords have reduced all humankind to slaves and god-daemons make the decision to end all existence--prompting the powerful White Crow to order a defiant uprising.
Published October 6th 1992 by Roc (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rats and Gargoyles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rats and Gargoyles

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 2000.

Hermetic philosophy - that is, strictly speaking, following the ideas in the occult writings attributed to Hermes Trismegistus - has played a role in some for the best novels of the second half of the twentieth century, including Lawrence Durrell's The Avignon Quintet and John Fowles' The Magus. This resurgence of interest is related to an increased, open, interest in the occult, exploited by figures such as Alastair Crowley. These things we
Tama Wise
Jun 24, 2007 Tama Wise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like different and well imagined worlds
I read this book back in 1994 when it first came out and I fell in love with it. I remember not really understanding what went on in the second half of the novel. Now that I have with me only the books I love the mostest, I've reread it, mostly because I have nothing else to read! I wondered if being older would let me understand the ending any better.

Nop.

I believe this is one of Mary Gentle's first. Shes a great and gritty author, but I think she 'gets better' in her later books. The plot of th
Simon
Starts well with a dramatic, atmospheric and very visual opening scene. And kind of goes downhill from there.
Gentle is great at descriptions, although this can also get very repetitive and distracting. I lost count of the number of times characters' hair and clothing was described, for no real reason, and always using the same words (copper or cinnamon, depending on the character), and when the world is collapsing I don't really need to read the details of the colour and texture of the crumbling
melo
complice forse (probabilmente, direi) una traduzione che m'è parsa zoppa, dopo una partenza da brividi mi son perso a metà, faticando non poco a trovare il bandolo della matassa. sono rimasto con la sensazione di un sacco di ottime idee non sviluppate, e di un sacco di pagine messe lì a far numero.
nonostante tutto, resta la sensazione che l'autrice sia da tenere in considerazione, e il libro prima o poi da riprendere in mano per vedere l'effetto che fa.
Jonathan
A depressed god could cure himself if only he willed it; but he rots away in the heart of the cathedral while the city is in turmoil. Humanity plots to overthrow its masters.
Victoria Radford
Oh, but this was a thing of beauty. I have read too many steampunk-sci-fi-fantasy worlds of late that have been all mouth and no trousers, but Mary Gentle never fails to create believable worlds out of the truly fantastic. Inspired by alchemical writings, Rats and Gargoyles reads like an intricate puzzle box that challenges, delights and infuriates. Normally I gobble books up, but this one I had to take my time over. The theory and playful intellect of this book balanced out by characters I care ...more
Eleanor
Mary Gentle has been quoted as describing this novel by saying "there are jokes... that only three people in the world will understand and one of them is dead. This is not an apology." This pretty much says it all really.

I love it.

I can't decide whether I want to be Casaubon or the White Crow when I grow up.

Edit: I have decided that the perfect way to describe Mary Gentle is that she's the British female counterpart to Avram Davidson.
Althea Ann
I'd read the "companion" book to this one, 'The Architecture of Desire' quite some time ago, and wasn't aware that this story was linked!

It's a darkly inventive, complex but rewarding book... Gentle's prose is of the sort that you have to pay close attention to keep track of what's going on... it's dense, the plot is convoluted, and many things are merely hinted at or implied - Gentle took the old adage, "show, don't tell" seriously in writing class!

Lucas, a foreign prince, has arrived in the ci
Jaime
A very cool book that, sadly, doesn't maintain its narrative drive. Nonetheless, a terrifically realized and unique fantasy setting - I pictured a sort of twisted 18th century sans-cullotes Paris with rodent overlords and working magic. There's also a character who, I realized many pages in, has a tail! You really have to peer into the story's corners, as it were, to see how detailed and clever Gentle's world-building is. For me, the story achieved a kind of fantasy fiction hyperdrive with a sce ...more
Nick Tramdack
"Government is a hard art, harder than your /magia/."

Very hard to summarize this complicated and challenging fantasy, but it's more than worth the effort.

Mary Gentle is out of control!

Also here are some Internet Archive stored posts by Gentle that may give you some insights into her extraordinary techniques.

I just can't wait to read The Architecture of Desire.
Will
It's a good book, but utterly maddening if only because the author will constantly refer to her characters in terms of their attributes instead of their names. That is

"Do you want to go left?" asked the tall red-headed thief.
"No, I want to go right," said the dark-haired man in leather.

I was constantly trying to remember which thief had red hair, whether the man wearing leather who I thought he was... bugged the hell out of me. Call characters by their names, especially if they're in a big party
Tom
This book is complex and, as other reviewers have noted, difficult to understand. I don't pretend to understand it myself. However, it is my seminal novel, one I have read repeatedly from my early teenage years until now, and which has influenced a lot of my own work. It is a rich concoction of bizarre concepts, many extracted from history (the Invisible College, the concept of a Rat King, the hanging of a pig for murder) and extended using Mary Gentle's now well known approach to historical alt ...more
Christine
Buy white crow trilogy as bundle in paperback!
Nathan
I think China Mieville must have read this when he was younger - there is much about this that screams "Perdido Street Station". Fairly Gothic, steampunky urban fantasy with mysterious deific figures, multiple races, scientist-mages and so on. A bit confusing as to what is going on a lot of the time, but books like this are about the journey not the destination. 3/5
Kadja Draenor
May 19, 2008 Kadja Draenor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults who like very non-typical fantasy that streatches the mind
This was a fascinating book. I dont think most people would like it, but I definitely did. It is a different, gritty sort of fantasy setting, with a lot of detail and some explicit content. The thing I liked the most about it is that the book seems to be written in 5 dimensions(not just the normal 4).
Tina
Good book. its a genre I have never really delved into before. I'm not even sure how I got the book, but I read it one day because I didn't have anything else to read. It was different, but I really enjoyed it.
Niall519
Vast, vast imagery. Universal crime. Convincing portrayals of gods. Hermetic magic and architecture. Swashbuckling and conspiracies.
What more could anyone want? The woman is a genius!
Roy
Much harder to get into the second time round – missing reading it on Kindle. But still a very intelligent book, elegantly written with intriguing characters.
Elynn
I read this book a long time ago, but I remember finding it was interesting but very confusing until the end, and then it seemed to make sense.
Vasha7
An amazing, expansive story. The last one third of the book is a sustained tour-de-force.
Velvetink
Sep 09, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
*note to self. Copy from A.
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Alex Anderson
Alex Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jun 22, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Ashwini Rao
Ashwini Rao marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Ferine
Ferine marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
  • Survivor
  • Aelita
  • Red Star
  • Swastika Night
  • The Star Fraction (The Fall Revolution, #1)
  • A Fish Dinner in Memison
  • Pavane
  • Resurrection Man (Resurrection Man, #1)
  • Hawkmoon (Eternal Champion, #3)
  • Emerald House Rising
  • Life During Wartime
  • The Werewolves of London (David Lydyard, #1)
Writes erotica under the pseudonym Roxanne Morgan.

Excerpted from Wikipedia:
Mary Gentle's first published novel was Hawk in Silver (1977), a young-adult fantasy. She came to prominence with the Orthe duology, which consists of Golden Witchbreed (1983) and Ancient Light (1987).

The novels Rats and Gargoyles (1990), The Architecture of Desire (1991), and Left to His Own Devices (1994), together with s
More about Mary Gentle...

White Crow Sequence (3 books)
  • The Architecture Of Desire
  • Left To His Own Devices
  • White Crow
Grunts Golden Witchbreed Ash: A Secret History (Book of Ash, #1-4) A Secret History (Book of Ash,  #1) A Sundial in a Grave: 1610