Start by marking “The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)

The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,624 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Last in a line of proud queens elected to rule the fertile lands of the West, true owner of the legendary Round Table, guardian of the Great Goddess herself . . . a woman whose story has never been told--until now.

As High King and Queen, Arthur and Guenevere reign supreme across the many kingdoms of Great Britain. Still, Guenevere secretly mourns the loss of her beloved La
Paperback
Published November 6th 2000 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Knight of the Sacred Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knight of the Sacred Lake

~mad
Jul 02, 2007 ~mad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksiveread
These books are part of a series that I happened upon - ooooooh, I loved them. They transported me back in time.
Fiona Franz
Feb 08, 2008 Fiona Franz is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-reads
Brilliant unputdownable.. really feel what guenevere feels and like u are in the time of King Arthur..
Arthurianmaiden
Jess (freaks over books)
Although the first book in the series is still my favorite of the three so far, Knight of the Sacred Lake definitely met up to my expectations of a wonderful Arthurian tale. Many people dislike a romantic, tragic Guinevere...I, however, enjoy the emotional struggles and conquests that Guinevere endures because it explores a side of humanity we all can related to; jealousy, doubts and questions about love and loyalty, the excitement of forbidden desire, and the guilt and confusion that comes with ...more
Carla
Feb 15, 2009 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, portuguese, 2010
Somewhat more interesting than the first volume, it still didn't satisfy me as much as I was hoping for mainly due to the characters who, from one book to the other, don't seem to have evolved. Morgan remains the only interesting character, Merlin appears to be lost through the entire book, Arthur seems a puppet who's only there because a king was needed for this story, Guinevere and Lancelot are annoying to no end. These two are the most boring characters of this book, where we read almost 400 ...more
Sandy Bookwitch
Apr 24, 2014 Sandy Bookwitch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far my only complaint regards the overuse of a particular adjective. The first two times she used "seagirt" to describe Great Britain, I rather liked it. When she'd used it five times in the first half of the book, I became less fond of it. Petty, I know, but it just irritated me somehow.

The story so far continues to have some good twists on the various tales of Arthurian legends.

She stopped using "seagirt" but went on to overuse "hyacinthine" which isn't even accurate according to the other
Meagan
Mirah W
Second in the Guenevere trilogy. I liked this one better than book one...more about the knights (new ones, old ones, justice, tournaments, etc) and less "oh, my love" rants by Guenevere. I did, however, find Guenevere annoying. She dwells on Arthur's betrayal of her and meanwhile she's "on again, off again" with Lancelot...her back and forth of "I hate you, I love you" to Lancelot really gets tiring. Merlin continues to be portrayed as conniving and manipulative while Arthur just seems to have t ...more
penelopewanders
here as a ring...
At first I really wasn't in the mood for this story, and picked up another, funnier book to read occasionally when it got too bleak. It feels a bit like when you read or see Romeo and Juliet - you keep hoping somehow the end will be different, and you know it won't, but have to keep slogging through to the tragic end anyway. So in some ways I don't like and don't enjoy this story - for me the good guys are the Goddess worshippers and I don't want the bad guys to win...
After a w
Jessica
Mar 08, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was just as good as the first one! I read it just as quickly, and loved it! I did notice the author uses some of the same phrases over and over, which kind of annoys me, and relies a little too much upon sex to jazz up the book I think. (Those things were true of the first one too) But all in all, I still really liked it. It definitely kept my interest and I will be reading the third one immediately.
Betty Strohecker
This is book two in the Arthur/Guenevere trilogy by Rosalind Miles. She continues the story with Lancelot and Guenevere falling in love and the fate that awaits Camelot because of their betrayal. Morgan is very heavily involved, spreading her evil through magic. Miles does an excellent job of protraying the emotions and feelings of the characters as they struggle against the age old question of passion versus honor. This is a somewhat different look at these well-known literary figures.
Diana
May 03, 2011 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy, but this one seemed to drag for me. I would have to say that this book is more of a 2 1/2 star book. It's kind of disappointing to see such an interesting character in the very beginning of the series become a co-dependent, irrationally jealous, insipid, and thoroughly unlikeable character. I honestly don't get the love between Lancelot and Guinevere as conveyed by Ms. Miles. Very unconvincing: it's not true love, it's obsession.
Lisa
Dec 13, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, this is an interesting telling of the Arthurian legends, seen more from Guenevere's point of view.

However, there are many times in this book where I want to shake all the main characters for acting like such children. Especially Guenevere, who just behaves like a spoiled child, instead of a Queen.

The magic is more prevalent in this book as well, with Morgan showing herself more often.
Nikki
There doesn't actually seem to be anything new brought to the legend by this story. Okay: it's a supposedly feminist sort of take on it, but... It kind of undermines that anyway with how whiny Guenevere is a lot of the time. I don't find any of the characters all that likeable, even if I can see why they are the way they are. I'm still going to read the third book of the trilogy, but...
Meg
Jun 07, 2011 Meg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series I am reading. It's been a while since I've read a fantasy book, and I am really enjoying it. I liked the feminist tone concerning religion (it's certainly very anti-Christian in its view). And of course, who doesn't love a new re-telling of a very old story? It's always interesting to see how an author takes on an old tale and makes it fresh.
Barbara
Oct 31, 2010 Barbara rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Can't for the life of me imagine why I ever wanted to read this series. The characters are unbelievable and the actions are unimaginable and it is written in a way that you often wonder who is doing this. Can't say I want to read part three, but you have to finish what you started and I need it for a reading challenge I am participating in. So I will read it.
Amber
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first in the trilogy. It definitely has an interlude feel. The plot didn't have much volition on it's own and I really struggled to stay motivated. I still enjoy the concept of the books. I love Arthurian novels and like the twist this one uses, but this book was just not very well executed.
Marit
Sep 07, 2013 Marit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I couldn't take the screaming, crying, and fits of jealous rages anymore. These books are enough to make one take sedatives, they're so tempestuous and topsy-turvy emotionally. I wanted to power through because I do love the Arthur & Guenevere legends but alas, I am putting this one down with three-fourths finished.
Dacia
Mar 23, 2009 Dacia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Krystal
This book was a typical second book in a trilogy to me, totally necessary to link the story together, but it seemed like not that much happened. Plus, I kept expecting a lot of bad things to happen and when nothing did, I was just left with a nervous feeling. Pretty decent, I'm looking forward to the next book.
Lindsey Cook
Jan 05, 2012 Lindsey Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a very good book, with some interesting twists on the mythology. It had been some time since i had read book 1 so that was some hinderance to me. Hopefully will be able to read book 3 to complete the saga.
Melodee
This was a typical story for this author. It was a rather Gothic romance concerning Authur, Guenevere, Lancelot, et al. It was an enjoyable read, a nice way to pass some time, although some of the descriptions were a little graphic. Some questionable content.
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love a new twist on the Arthur legend
This book takes some DEFINITE liberties with the Arthur legend.

Guenevere is a pagan, for instance, not the usual Christian faithful. She's strong where often Arthur is weak.

Makes for an interesting telling...
Neeka
Jun 20, 2013 Neeka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never really followed the King Author Legends - and for a first time go at these - I enjoyed it. Very good read - very quick. For a downside - it was a second book of the series.... :( But I loved it. :)
Christal
My least favorite of the trilogy. Guenevere was very whiny and hypocritical in this one, which really grated on my nerves. I enjoy the story as a whole and applaud the author for depicting Guenevere as a devout pagan. I hope the third book can recapture the magic from the first.
Nicole Diamond
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
amy
Apr 10, 2007 amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads
The second of the Rosalind Miles' Guenevere saga. This one was also a good read..but not as satisfying as the first book. It leaves much untold for the last book of the trilogy. You must read all three in sequence to get the full feel of Guenevere's life.
Mavis Hewitt
Jul 30, 2016 Mavis Hewitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthurian
Interesting angle, that behind everything is the new Christian religion striving very hard, (& even, surprise!, underhandedly) to kill off, the existing religion, but other than that, there seems somehow to be something lacking, took me a fair while to read it, not that it is a short book.
Ruth
Mar 27, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series! Lancelot's character is fully fleshed out as are the events that changed his life. Sadly, his goodness was his downfall in more than one instance. Morgan le Fay is one bad witch!!
Jami
Oct 10, 2013 Jami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot like Guenevere in this trilogy. I find her an empty headed ditzy shrew. I will read the last of this trilogy, but with reluctance.
  • Grail Prince
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • King Arthur
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis (Camulod Chronicles, #6)
  • The Raven Warrior (Tales of Guinevere, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of King Arthur
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Mad Merlin
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
Rosalind Miles is an author born and raised in England and now living in both Los Angeles and Kent, England. She has written both works of fiction and non-fiction. As a child, Miles suffered from polio, and had to undergo several months of treatment. After being accepted to a junior women's college, Miles acquired a working knowledge of Latin and Greek, along with developing her life-long love of ...more
More about Rosalind Miles...

Guenevere (3 books)
  • Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere, #1)
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)