Start by marking “The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  168 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
* Do you drink coffee in the morning to get your day started?

* Do you work through lunch?

* Do you crave sweets or a nap in the afternoon?

* Have you tried losing weight in the past three years and given up?

* Do you tend to have bouts of worry, anxiety, and depression?

* Do you have difficulty remembering things?

If you do, this book will help you restore balance to your daily
Published March 13th 2001 by Harmony (first published May 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The 3-Season Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 3-Season Diet

Ani
Jul 24, 2015 Ani rated it liked it
This book still focuses waaaaaay too much on the "importance" of weight loss, for it to be a non-trigger book. However, I really did like reading a more Western-friendly interpretation of Ayurveda. I've been struggling with how to incorporate things I'm learning about Ayurveda into my own actual daily life, and this book provides a very nice path for doing just that.

Just be careful if you are trying to avoid problematic language surrounding weight loss and obesity.
Ellen
Nov 05, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
An interesting and useful application of Ayurveda to the western world. I would have liked to see Douillard stretch some of the Ayurvedic principles further for western application - for example, he encourages the use of many Indian spices to help with digestion. I imagine, though certainly don't know for certain, that there are more familiar options available to the west that may be more accessible. Douillard dabbles in exploring the positive aspects of the Mediterranean diet and the French Par ...more
Rebecca
Dec 04, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in reconnecting with the natural rhythm of food
I am really enjoying this book. John Douillard spoke at school & was excellent. His information and approach to food/nutrition just makes sense on an intrinsic level of knowing. How out of sync have we gotten with the natural rhythm of life and our place in the global ecosystem!? Our advances in technology & usage of rational thinking are wonderful... yet we have changed things in a really short period of time and come to view humans as operating separately from the rest of life/existenc ...more
Francine
May 20, 2014 Francine rated it really liked it
I found this book helpful to adapt Ayurvedic philosophy to modern day America. It is written clearly and simply and conveys a large amount of information.

Highly Recommended if you are interested in modifying the way you eat and live.
Rachel
Feb 24, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is a great, simple read that will teach you how to get back in tune with your health by eating what's in season and following a daily rhythm. You don't have to have any prior knowledge of the concepts of Ayurveda to start this simple program, the book will give you everything you need. Though it sounds very cliche, this book is not so much a diet as it is a lifestyle. I have tried several diets in the past to no avail and this one is simple and effortless. The point is for it not to be a st ...more
Mandy
Feb 08, 2011 Mandy rated it liked it
This book gives great insight into not only the seasons of different foods (and how we should generally eat what is in season), but also gives some good recommendations to the manner in which we eat. There is a suggested eating plan (though I haven't followed it to it's entirety), that is realistic and easy to follow. It gives tips on breathing, eating, stretching, and exercising. Very informative! One last thing that is pretty interesting is how he describes the seasons and how various people a ...more
Belann
Apr 05, 2010 Belann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new approach to the Ayervedic approach to eating for body type, vatta, pitta, kapha. Douillard uses seasons to describe the types. The idea still boils down to eating what is in season, which makes good sense. It you tend to be more of one type than another, you emphasize that season more. Douillard also suggests eating the largest meal of the day between 12 and 3 or possibly 4. That one change alone would help people lose weight. Interesting.
Laurasmoot
Jan 28, 2008 Laurasmoot rated it it was amazing
If I hadn't heard Douillard speak at my school last year, I would've never picked up this book or read it very far because it's got that creepy bestseller thing going on. But turns out its a super-accessible intro to Ayurvedic nutrition and lifestyle concepts, and has really useful menu ideas and appendices with recommended food lists for each season. His website www.lifespa.com is also a good source for some of that.
Tamarind
Feb 08, 2013 Tamarind rated it really liked it
Interesting, well-written book about living with the cycles of nature, rather than against them. I probably would have appreciated it a little more had I not just finished the author's other book, Body, Mind, and Sport, which really blew me away. This title covers some of the same material, but I recommend reading the other one first. Overall, a great book for anyone interested in holistic health and wellness.
Susie
Aug 17, 2009 Susie rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book and is flying totally under the radar. I almost wish it wasn't called a "diet" because it's not really a diet. Dr. John Douillard covers the basics of ayurveda and that eating food in season and according to your constitution (vata, pitta or kapha) is essential. It's so simple and it's really common sense. Highly recommend.
Catherine
Oct 10, 2011 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
I'm not a diet book person. The industry built around learning to eat is despicable. This book gets it right, though. It's not about beach body, six-pack abs or any of that craziness. It's about eating in a way that supports you and your life's work. Because we have a lot of other things to do in life besides eat. The Yoga Body Diet is also a good read.
Kerry
Feb 23, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has interesting information that encourages me to do further research.
India Clark
Jan 02, 2010 India Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite one insufferable chapter on the history of fad diets, this book reveals the indisputable wisdom of nature in a way that makes so much sense, it's at once perplexing to not have been living an Ayurvedic lifestyle all along and comforting to imagine how easy it will be to adopt.
Loripdx
Jan 18, 2012 Loripdx rated it it was amazing
I've finally found a way to eat to stave off the cravings and the craziness. What a concept: eating foods according to the seasons. I've already instituted several of John Douillard's suggestions into my daily routine because they work AND because they make sense to me.
Kirstin Nice
Sep 30, 2008 Kirstin Nice rated it it was amazing
My FAVORITE book on health. It affected me the most during y year of studying at IIN. Very easy to understand way of living according to Ayurvedic tradition, and integrates it into the Western world. John Douillard is awesome!
Beth
May 02, 2016 Beth added it
I would recommend readers new to Auyerveda and interested in exploring the subject try his book: Fit for Life. It is an easier to understand application of Auyervedic principles.
Aubree Deimler
Sep 22, 2015 Aubree Deimler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
I love John Douillard. I picked up several helpful tips from this book - including the importance of daily digestive rhythms. By following his advice my digestion has greatly improved :-)
Katie Hilton
Jul 06, 2012 Katie Hilton rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this in conjunction with Mind, Body, Sport and the Yoga Body Diet Book. There are some good principles to follow and I hope to put some of them into practice
Kara
Jan 04, 2008 Kara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sensible eating plan seekers
Excellent nutritional advice to kinda put your body in order. Dedication required, of course, as it's a diet book, but a "food lifestyle" change really...
Margery
Apr 15, 2014 Margery rated it liked it
helpful- moved to organic delivery of mostly local foods & avoid processed but...its hard to eliminate entirely - have managed to give up coffee!
Karyn
Woo-hoo! This is a grrreat guide to eating, sleeping, breathing and exercising in harmony with your body and the rest of the natural world.
Kris
Oct 02, 2011 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows a wonderful application of Ayurvedic principles in our Western lifestyles. Clear instructions too.
Ginny
Aug 28, 2010 Ginny rated it it was amazing
I love how he looks at eating and seasons. I particularly enjoy his 51% rule that is do it right 51% of the time.
Joan Romero
Feb 22, 2008 Joan Romero rated it liked it
It's nice to have a seasonal eating help. What when and why. He also covers things like exercise.
Loree
Apr 06, 2010 Loree rated it really liked it
seasonal approaches...diet and energy...
Catrina
May 01, 2010 Catrina rated it really liked it
very nice take on a modern way to apply ayurveda
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2015 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
borrowed from library, 1 Feb. 2014
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Nastya Epshtein
Nastya Epshtein marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Amy Harless
Amy Harless marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • The Sunfood Diet Success System
  • Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish
  • Healthy Aging
  • Food and Healing
  • The UltraSimple Diet: Kick-Start Your Metabolism and Safely Lose Up to 10 Pounds in 7 Days
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Essential Ayurveda: What It Is and What It Can Do for You
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Unleash the Power of the Female Brain: Supercharging Yours for Better Health, Energy, Mood, Focus, and Sex
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well-Being
  • Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization
  • I Am Grateful: Recipes and Lifestyle of Cafe Gratitude
  • Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones

“a 3-Season Diet that gives us all of nature’s nutrients in proper proportion over the course of a year,” 0 likes
“energy—the so-called sugar rush of a sweetened soft drink or a candy bar—its burst of power is inevitably followed by a letdown, making it an extremely unreliable source of energy over long periods of time.” 0 likes