Start by marking “The Book Shopper: A Life in Review” as Want to Read:
The Book Shopper: A Life in Review

The Book Shopper: A Life in Review

2.68 of 5 stars 2.68  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the almost limitless sea of books, here’s one that will make you laugh as it helps you find your way to books that you’ll want to read.
With witty poignancy, The Book Shopper: A Life in Review describes the inner world of the writer’s imagination and the outer world of disheveled used book stores and dusty basements whose shelves sag under the burden of too many books.
In
Published June 1st 2009 by Paul Dry Books (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Book Shopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Shopper

Missy
Picked this up at Prairie Lights in Iowa City when I was there with other bibliophile friends...need I say more. A day of literary adventures in a literary city buying books = a perfect day. Have I ever mentioned, I LOVE BOOKS!?!
This book is not very well written, but it has some interesting musings on book shopping. The best chapters focus on the author's family experiences. He has a weird habit of referring to his book as though it were a separate entity or a person. Not one of my favorite books about books.

Terry
Though I do not share Browne's taste in books, I do approve of his general attitude toward books. "Amazon Uncovered" was the best chapter and Part Three with musings about books as gifts and managing a personal library was worthwhile.
Cindy Rollins
I picked this up at the Eighth Day Books table at the Circe Conference because I can never resist a book about books and as such I enjoyed it even though I do not share the same taste in books as Murray Browne.

Still I came away with a few underlined passages and an enjoyable conversation.

My favorite part was the Thomas Pynchon quote,"...proverb, number 3:'If the can get you asking the wrong questions,they don't have to worry about the answers.

This book was not a waste of time but I doubt if i
Clark
I liked reading about his personal experiences, how "Fahrenheit 451" affected him - not just once, but twice!

I loved his saying - "Book lovers are not necessarily people lovers." How true! I am one.

I did not care for Browne's recommendations of books. Browne is snobbish in his high brow opinion of his choice of books over average people's opinions. Some of us hate lit. Got enough of that in school. Even with his attitude I still found parts of his book that I liked because I like books about bo
Heather
I appreciated the author's enthusiasm for books, but I disliked the way he dismissed romances as "not real books" and insinuated that libraries consisting of "crappy bestsellers" (his words) were less valid than ones full of his beloved Tom Wolfe, Pynchon, Didion, etc. Avoid like the plague if pseudo-intellectual Lit-ra-chure book snobs who look down on those of us who read popular fiction, romances, mysteries, etc, make you angry.
Charlie
Despite this rating, I did think the author was likable. Unfortunately, he was likable despite his best efforts. I only liked one paragraph in this book. Make your own decision. But don't read it.
Courtney
Not the most exciting topic, but a comfortable one. I enjoyed the chapter about Amazon, about moving boxed of books (the chapter was about weeding ones collection), and his anecdote about Fahrenheit 451.
Megan
Would have really benefitted from a full bibliography at the end.
Roney
Roney marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Tristan Darcy
Tristan Darcy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Amanda BeReckonedwith
Amanda BeReckonedwith is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
D'Andrea
D'Andrea marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Scheherazade Nudar
Scheherazade Nudar marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Jill Birnback
Jill Birnback marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Lady Lioness
Lady Lioness marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Russ Autrey
Russ Autrey marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
The Book Shopper Understanding Search Engines: Mathematical Modeling and Text Retrieval Lecture Notes in Data Mining

“Book lovers are not necessarily people lovers.” 1 likes