3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In this compelling history of the violent struggle between the monarchy and Parliament that tore apart seventeenth-century England, a rising star among British historians sheds new light on the people who fought and died through those tumultuous years. Drawing on exciting new sources, including letters, memoirs, ballads, plays, illustrations, and even cookbooks, Diane Purk...more
Published December 4th 2007 by Basic Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The English Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The English Civil War

John Herbert
The English Civil War is the most underrated occurrence in British history; even the major battlefields are poorly marked and signposted. And yet this remarkable war amongst ourselves changed forever how this island of ours ruled their affairs.
Of course there are countless books running through the battles and reasons, but this book goes deeper into the psyche of the real people - the ones who fought, the ones who remained behind to be savaged by both armies, the ones who battled for a real revo...more
Bluenose
Contrary to the title, this is not a history of the English civil war of the 1640’s. It’s a collection of contemporary accounts from original documents focusing on a number of people who were prominent and obscure participants in the historical events. The research was staggering and is documented in FURTHER READING at the end of the book.

Reading the actual words of the participants is a revelation and immediately conveys the sensibilities and motivations of the time. To say religion was the ca...more
Shawn
This history is rather disorganized and sometimes difficult to follow, but it does a good job of purveying the FEEL of the Civil War by examining the wartime experiences of people of more ordinary rank than the royals and grandees and other major players, including several women. Take it for what it's worth.
Daniel Wright
There is possibly no period of English (indeed, British) history more unjustly neglected than the Civil Wars. Far more than the feudal wranglings of the Wars of the Roses, they made the United Kingdom the nation that it is, politically, ideologically, and even spiritually. This is the central thesis of this magnificent book, illustrated through the words and actions of innumerable individuals: high and low, male and female, all the parts they play are instrumental in the unravelling of events. C...more
Steven Peterson
If you want a history of the battles of the English Civil War, this is not the book for you. If you are interested in the human side of this horrific period, then this is a book for you. While the battles are mentioned, they are placed in a much broader context.

This is a history of the English Civil War, told to a considerable extent through the words of observers and participants. Letters and diaries of people such as Brilliana Harley; tracts by Garrard Winstanley (a leading Digger); the debat...more
imngrer
This is a popular history and lacks the detailed footnotes I want when reading this type of book.

I read with very a very specific aim which it would have satisfied had it been footnoted. But I did skip chunks of it as not relevant for what I wanted.

However, I seriously disliked her patronising tone regarding Christopher Hill. Should she ever become half the historian he was I would accept her comments but she has to my mind in no way reached that status and I doubt she ever will.

This is not the...more
Lauren Albert
This took what was for me a long time to read. But it is a very long book. I really liked her vision of the war from "the ground up." It helped me understand the complexities of the situation for the people who were actually living it--and not just the powerful. I hadn't realized how much a fear of Catholics played into the events--not just hatred or bigotry but fear. According to Purkiss, everyday people were convinced that they faced imminant invasion. I also liked it for how it showed that lu...more
James
I thought this was an excellent alternative to a traditional top-down history of the English Civil War. I was fascinated, but I am interested in this period so I suppose it wouldn't take much to hold my attention. It was engagingly written and I enjoyed the focus the author placed on religious extremism rather than battles. My only criticism is that she expected the reader to remember the names of all of her little-known figures as easily as they remembered the names of Cromwell and Fairfax, so...more
John Wright
So far so good. Standard, but well-written social history of the English Civil War based on the much revived narrative school. Brings in revised understandings based on work done on religious and women's history over the past 20 years. Purkiss' sense of contemporaneous geography, world-view and class bring a fresh sense of how large and how small, how public and private, the worlds of pre-William and Mary English were. Plus I learned what 'repandous' means.
Jeff
This is not your mother's history book. Do not read it expecting to get a linear account of the war, or a nice clean version of cause and effect. Rather, it is an intriguing and insightful glimpse into the complexities of the war, gleaned through the writings and lives of those who lived it. A tragic time, and yet one which really lays much of the groundwork for the philosophies that grounded the American and French revolutions. Fascinating read.
Catherine
I loved this book. It was fantastically written and well presented and Purkiss didn't take sides and try and claim that one side was 'right' or 'better' than the other. She gave heart to the material and often added small personal remarks that were more humorous than anything else. For example, she describes John Milton as 'fiercely competitive, neurotic, insecure and emotionally constipated.' This book is well worth the read for any history buffs.
Stantontas
There's some crackingly vivid stuff in this book, which was marred only for me by a bit of sniffyness about the more radical tendencies thrown up by the conflict. That's not what I expect from something billed as "a people's history". Maybe some of Christopher Hill's work is what I need to be looking at for that.
Liz
This book was less interesting than I thought it would be. It probably would have helped if I knew something about British History, but I felt that the timeline was a bit too jumpy. It took me a long time- nearly 3 months to slog through it, without a particularly good sense of the overall argument- was kind of a mishmash of primary sources lacking the backbone of a clearly stated argument.
Chris
It does help to have a basic knowledge of the English Civil War prior to reading this book. Purkiss presents the English Civil War though the viewpoints of the people who fought in it, lived during it, and wrote during it. It is an all encompassing look, focusing on people who do not make the over all big histories. Well worth the read if you like English history.
Melly
It's an interesting read: the English civil war told through they eyes of the myriad people who lived it. But it can be tedious unless the reader is familiar with the events and the history. I'm not so I found it hard to get through the major history parts while waiting for the biographical parts. Nothing against the concept or the author, it just wasn't for me.
Alex
Very interesting compilation of the stories of people from all walks of life woven into a history of the English Civil War. Having a passing familiarity with the major events of this war is helpful; I didn't, so I had to look things up (not that that's a bad thing). Good read, very enlightening.
Sara
Like the War itself, I think it sounds a lot more interesting than it actually ends up being. I know that the point of the book is to look at how the war effected individual and everyday lives, but there are so many threads in the story lines, it's impossible to get invested in any of the players.
Epicdoug
An account of the "civil" in the Civil war, of the ways people saw and interacted with the war. Does that make any sense? I hope so.

Not really an introduction to the war itself, since I learned about it in high school history I don't know what would make a good introduction. Sorry.

Sorry.
Grace
This was very interesting - better for a sense of the time and issues rather than an overview although I do think it could have done with a timeline. Bit too much 'psychology'/speculation about the impact of childhood experiences for my taste sometimes.
James Stephenson
In many ways, this is a superb book. The writing is occasionally odd and awkward, but the principle - a social history told by people of significance and insignificate almost half a millenium ago - is fascinating page after page.
Gramarye
A little too speculative for this historian's liking, but a decent starting point for someone interested in an introduction to the English Civil War that focuses more on people (especially women) and less on politics.
Lysergius
Somehow manages to turn an interesting period of English history into a long dull diatribe filled with forgettable characters. Even Charles I ad Cromwell appear as cardboard cutouts.
Alice
May 14, 2012 Alice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm having a lot of fun with this. . .not exactly a Zinn sort of people's history, but a people's history nevertheless that makes the English civil war. . .well, rather interesting.
John Scott
I enjoyed this book but had issues. It was not as well written as I would have liked. A peoples history this is but Charles Carlton's Going To The Wars told it so much better.
Liisa
Comprehensive and difficult to plough through at times but also very enlightening. It was interesting hearing about the english civil war from such an array of sifferent sources.
Kimberly Chapman
Reading as research for a prequel to Finding Gaia.
Cera
Aug 24, 2009 Cera marked it as grazed
I'm not sure why I lost interest in this -- I think I really need to do as Seth suggests and read the du Maurier historical set in the period.
John
I'm about a quarter of the way into this. Conversational writing style is good but I have difficulty keeping up with all the characters.
Craig J.
"The English Civil War: Papists, Gentlewomen, Soldiers, and Witchfinders in the Birth of Modern Britain by Diane Purkiss (2007)"
Nicola Bugg
I really enjoyed this book- I found the individual/personal tales fascinating. It is a very 'human' view of history.
  • The World Turned Upside Down: Radical Ideas During the English Revolution
  • Restoration London: Everyday Life in the 1660s
  • The London Hanged: Crime And Civil Society In The Eighteenth Century
  • Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket
  • God's Fury, England's Fire: A New History of the English Civil Wars
  • 1700
  • Religion and the Decline of Magic: Studies in Popular Beliefs in Sixteenth and Seventeenth Century England
  • The Verneys: A True Story of Love, War, and Madness in Seventeenth-Century England
  • After Elizabeth: The Rise of James of Scotland and the Struggle for the Throne of England
  • The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy
  • Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination
  • London in the Nineteenth Century: A Human Awful Wonder of God
  • Unnatural Murder: Poison in the Court of James I
  • A History Of Modern Britain
  • Villains of All Nations: Atlantic Pirates in the Golden Age
  • English Society in the Eighteenth Century
  • The Victorians
  • A People's History of the American Revolution: How Common People Shaped the Fight for Independence
Purkiss also writes children's books with her son, Michael Dowling, under the pseudonym Tobias Druitt.
More about Diane Purkiss...
At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things The Witch in History Magical Tales: Myth, Legend, and Enchantment in Children's Books Literature, Gender and Politics During the English Civil War Women, Texts and Histories 1575-1760