Start by marking “A Child's Journey Out of Autism: One Family's Story of Living in Hope and Finding a Cure” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Told with the intensity of a medical thriller, the extraordinary story of how Clay Whiffen and his family conquered autism.

""Leeann Whiffen's fight for her son is a poignant, intimate story of perseverance and love - a reminder to all of us that a mother is the greatest ally a child with autism will ever have. A Child's Journey out of Autism shines a heartfelt light on a f
Published March 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks

To ask other readers questions about A Child's Journey Out of Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Child's Journey Out of Autism

Mary
This was a very interesting read for me (as I have a son with high-functioning autism), but overall it was a hot and cold reading experience for me. Rather than causing me to feel hope, much of the book left me feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. I admired the author's complete devotion to her son and her wilingness to try everything for him. She is a true warrior mother! However, at the same time it made me question myself and whether I had done enough to help my own son. I did not try all of ...more
Lisa
5 Stars

What if this is my fault? I give myself several more mental lashings, after which I finally realize I may never know what caused his autism, and I can't do anything about it.

This was an extremely emotional read for me. Our son was recently diagnosed - on March 9th, 2012 - with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). As a parent that is a blow that I am unsure I can accurately describe. I walked around for days in this mental daze and all I could do was cry and worry. Thank God, I have finally sna
Cami
This story of overcoming one of the most common problems facing children today reads part medical record, part behavior study, and part personal journal as a mother recounts her son's journey through Autism. The message is one of hope for those who have children on the Autism Spectrum--hope that with a lot of work and courage, a child with Autism may lead a completely normal life.

For those who do have experience with overcoming Autism, this book will be validating and familiar. For those working
Laurel
The book was well written, but it should only be read by mothers and dads with kids that have just been diagnosed with autism, to tell them what to do, how to do, and where to go for help. It is a book of hope.

As the grandmother of a nine year old severely autistic grandson, the book was depressing...realizing my grandson has passed the window of time to make huge improvements like "Clay" in the book made. I know the author of the book understands my feelings, because she expressed the same emo
Kay Elizabeth
A Child’s Journey Out of Autism documents the real life story of Clay Whiffen, a child diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum at the tender age of two. The book, penned by Clay’s mother Leeann Whiffen, shares a deeply expressive and touching tale of hopes and dreams for Clay’s future being alternatively raised and shattered repeatedly only to end in near miraculous results.

From the first days of diagnosis Leeann sets foot on a determined road, puzzling her way through the maze of therapies
Aderian Blocker
This was a really good book. This mother's dedication to her son makes you want to cry. This book book helped me become more informed about bio-medical treatments and how they helped her son. This book shows the unconditional love a mother has for her child and the great lengths that she will go to in helping him.
Courtney Eyerly
This book was a great inspirational book to read. Knowing that a child can "grow" out of autism is truly remarkable. Thinking about if we have children that the chances of them getting autism are on the rise is not fun to think about. But these are things we need to think of to catch the signs early enough so that if we do know have a child with autism they can receive treatment. This is personal to me because I have a cousin with autism. Some of the treatments they did in the book my cousin als ...more
Sammie
In the beginning I learned a lot of new information and about Leeann's personal experience. It was great to see how things affected her as a mother; however, I thought that she overreacted in many ways. I know that she was writing about her personal experience, but I feel that she should have been accepting of who her child is right from the beginning. It is great how she became involved in the world of Autism and that she worked hard to help her son. Apparently every move that she made was succ ...more
Lynne
Leeann Whiffen did a great job of describing her feelings after finding out her child had autism and of describing her feelings on her journey toward finding a cure for him. Leeann was lucky to find experts and programs that were able to help her son develop into a "normal" child. Her son was lucky to have such dedicated parents. This book will help those outside of the world of autism to understand it and how it affects the families touched by it. The book also describes some of the more recent ...more
Erin
This was the first book I read after Noah was diagnosed and it gave me such perspective! It was a great first book to read as it's the story of a family going through the same thing I was going through at the time - suspecting something is wrong, the long process of diagnosis, and deciding which treatments therapies to start. It also helped me see that there are other roads to take than what the typical pediatrician or psychologist will recommend. Plus, I didn't know it when I started to read th ...more
Jessie
I enjoyed this, as much as you can enjoy reading about another family's struggle with autism. It definitely gives parents hope, and I like that Whiffen documents both the applied behavioral analysis and the biomedical approaches she used with her son. It's not a typical experience of a parent of a child with autism, but it inspired me as a mother to push my boundaries and really give my all to working with my son. I was so personally invested in this book, that this review doesn't even touch the ...more
April
Pretty good. Seemed like she was venting about people more then I would like. Gave me some ideas to try.
Lydia
Oct 06, 2010 Lydia marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
This is not my top priority book on the wishlist, especially as have not attempted to obtain it yet. Probably likely to obtain, read and review at one point. I'm not a parent (shock! Not ready!) yet, but am an aunt, cousin, and former partner of people who are technically/ officially along the ASD spectrum. For my sins, I also was an FE College SEN assistant for a while. Whilst studying for my Promoting Independence [Social Care specialism] qualification - that was a good, hard, as well as many ...more
Amber
This is a tough read for an Autism Mommy. On one hand you're so glad that Leann shared everything she did for her son, and on the other hand you're overwhelmed that she shared every thing she did for her son. I loved her hands on, can-do attitude. But do not agree with her "autism has stolen my child" view. I love when parents take an active In helping their ASD kids adjust to this world, rather than live in denial or say: "this is just how he is." But I think my view of it is more in the middle ...more
Jessica
I could never be as disciplined as this mom about micro-managing her autistic son's life. I found this book extremely insightful into the life of another family and the extreme measures they take. However it was discouraging to the point of self-doubt. Am I "mom enough" for my autistic child? How much am I willing to change/mold my son for society? Do I sacrifice enough? This book made me feel "lucky" to have a high-function child on the spectrum, when I should just feel blessed.
Pam O'brien
seemed too good to be true. i love the moms determination.
Donna
I have read the ARC of this book and found it extremely interesting. i don't have any children with Autism so my knowledge was very limited while reading this. It pulls at your heartstrings and provided hope for parents who may have lost all hope in having a child with autism. The medical terms were daunting in the book but LeeAnn Whiffen does provide enough context clues that even a reader with limited knowledge would be able to understand her journey.
Leeann

Well written book about a Mom who is determined to recover her child from autism. Her tenacity is remarkable and through sheer will, determination (and a lot of money!), her son is now a neurotypical kid.

This won't be the outcome for many but so glad it was for her her son. Much to be learned here, but perhaps most importantly that multiple therapies are needed, as early as possible, for the best outcome.
Debbie O
I knew my friend authored this book and didn't read it until it practically jumped in my pile at the library. I didn't expect it to be such a quick read. I learned a lot and have a greater understanding of Autism and what it means to families. This isn't just a book full of facts. Leeann is a talented writer. You laugh and cry right along with her...and you really want to turn the next page!
Paige Stanley
Wow! What a powerful book. I highly recommend it to anyone who has been touched directly or indirectly by autism. Leeann Whiffen, and all of the parents like her, should be commended for her untiring fight to reclaim her son. While I understand that not all parents will meet with the same success, her son's story serves as a powerful story of inspiration and hope.
Danielle
I did NOT like this book at all. I found the author 100% self-absorbed and perpetuating the myth that her Autistic son was broken and/or damaged, rather than uniquely special. The very thing that pushed me over the edge was the author's paranoia about a third pregnancy and her insane behavior to "have a girl because girl's aren't affected." Complete waste of time...
Staci
I didn't know much about autism before this book. I went through the diagnosis, grief, treatments, and just how to appropriately deal with an autistic child. It was also very inspiring how much this family (especially MOM) went in finding a cure for their child. He actually was completely CURED! I didn't think you could ever come out of it!
Ginger
The author did an amazing job of sharing her true feelings during a very sad, important, hard time in her families life. Not only does she show that there is hope out there for autistic children, but she is an amazing example of a mother that will not give up on her child; no matter the cost, no matter the hardships. Well done Leeann!!
Nikki
I recognized our own journey in the pages of this book. My own son is six and a half years old now. And while he did not improve as drastically as Clay, we are overjoyed he has recovered so much. Leanne Whiffen is a great mom, and the Whiffens on paper seem to be a phenomenal family. I enjoyed rooting for them throughout the book. :)
Noreendenton
Very interesting book about a family that was willing to do a lot of work and spend a lot of money to help their son with autism. Seems like the behavioral and medicinal techniques worked and their son is normal today. There is a lot of good information about autism and some places where help can be found.
Barbara
Wow!! What an amazing story and what a determined monther! This book should give hope and direction to any parent of an autistic child. I think there is also a lot of important information in the book that EVERY parent should be aware of. It's really frightening how epidemic this disorder has become.
Katrina
This was not a piece of literary genius by any stretch, but it was really good. Especially considering the amount of information she fit into it. Some of the dialogue was obnoxious, but it helped me a lot as far as my job is concerned. It reassured me that I am doing right by the children I work with.
Krysta
Apr 24, 2012 Krysta rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I almost didn't read this because Jenny McCarthy had a review on the back. I gave it three stars because I learned a lot about ABA and learned some things to help my son. However, I did not like the author. She wasn't a great storyteller, and her voice was annoying.
Monica
I really enjoyed LeeAnn Whiffen's story of her struggle with autism. I'm glad she found success and was open to many ideas and solutions. I was very impressed with her perseverance and commitment. She has a beautiful family and she knows how to count her blessings.
What a wonderful and inspirational book. I caught myself, many times, saying that is exactly what I am thinking. It is so nice to read about other parents who have gone what I am going through and know that my thoughts, fears, insecurities and hopes are shared.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Regular Guy: Growing Up With Autism
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • The Year My Son and I Were Born: A Story of Down Syndrome, Motherhood, and Self-Discovery
  • Autism and the God Connection: Redefining the Autistic Experience Through Extraordinary Accounts of Spiritual Giftedness
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds
  • The Mind Tree: A Miraculous Child Breaks The Silence Of Autism
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • Exiting Nirvana: A Daughter's Life with Autism
  • That Went Well: Adventures in Caring for My Sister
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Charlotte's Rose
  • Dessert First
  • The Way He Lived
  • Nexus Point
  • The Only True Genius in the Family
Leeann has served on the boards of local autism organizations, and provided voluntary assistance in consulting with hundreds of families facing autism throughout the U.S. She's presented at autism conferences and has been a featured guest on radio and TV stations to provide greater awareness and understanding of autism spectrum disorders and related treatment methods.

Leeann is co-author of the Ea
More about Leeann Whiffen...
Child's Journey Out of Autism: One Family's Story of Living in Hope and Finding a Cure A Childs Journey Out of Autism A Child S Journey Out of Autism