Start by marking “The Lost Prophecies (The Medieval Murderers, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Prophecies (The Medieval Murderers, #4)

The Lost Prophecies (The Medieval Murderers #4)

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  33 reviews
575 AD: A baby is washed up on the Irish coast and is taken to the nearest abbey. He grows up to become a scholar and a monk, but, in early adulthood, he appears to have become possessed, scribbling endless strange verses in Latin. When the Abbott tries to have him drowned, he disappears. Later, his scribblings turn up as the Book of Bran, his writings translated as porten ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published June 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Prophecies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Prophecies

æsc
May 29, 2014 æsc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I enjoy the Medieval Murderers' books for what they are--short stories you can dip in and out of, some brilliant and some not entirely satisfying. The Lost Prophecies is one of the best of the bunch, following the adventures of people who come into contact with a manuscript of prophecies written by an otherworldly Irish monk.

By 'not entirely satisfying,' I mostly mean that I like to have more things tied up than are in most of these stories. This is the nature of short stories anyway, of course
Redsteve
An interesting concept (six mystery stories by different writers, strung together by a book of prophecies written by a 7th Century Irish Monk). Sadly, not as cool as advertized. About half of the stories didn't do much for me and most of them took a while to get into, which meant, that by the time a story had grabbed by interest, it was usually 2/3rds over. To be honest, I'd grabbed this book because I'm a fan of authors Gooden and Sanson (chapters V and VI)and I was expecting these writers' cha ...more
Tracy Terry
A novel written by not one, not two, but six well known British crime writers who each take a turn in writing an 'act' all of which are connected by the main premise which is the book of prophecies written by a sixth century Irish monk.

Albeit with a central theme, this, when all is said and done, is a collection of short stories which, as many of you know, isn't a favourite genre of mine, but I decided to give it a go as I was interested to read something else by C.J. Sansom (I love his Shardlak
rabbitprincess
Ruth
An interesting compilation of stories from some masterful story tellers. The link between the stories is a little less weaker than in other compilations of The Medieval Murderers and the description of 'medieval' is not necessarily accurate. However, a good read with some real gems. Definitely recommended.
Rob
A pretty cool concept, with 6 English medieval mystery writers teaming up to write 6 loosely related short stories. A nice book if you know you will need to start/stop often. Each chapter/act can definitely live on its own and be read in any order... just need to read the prologue first.

I liked some of the stories much better than the others. For example, I enjoyed Bernard Knight and Ian Morson a bunch - they wrote the first two acts. The final act was actually into the future and gave an intere
Siobhan
The book started well enough, but I hit a roadblock in Act II. I couldn't get through more than four pages. Mr Morson, I will never buy your books.
The last chapter's setup blew me away - marvelously thought out and terrifyingly possible.
Vivienne

I am not a great fan of the short story, much preferring to immerse myself in longer narratives and more detailed character studies than the format allows.

Plus, although I quite enjoyed this collection of linked short stories, I think I would have enjoyed them more if I'd been more familiar with the characters in the stories who have made their appearances in the various historical murder mysteries series penned by the authors. I had heard of their books but not yet read any aside from Sansom's
Lady of the Lake
Hmm....not a favorite, not one I'm going to recommend. But I did finish it so it had something to it because I will never waste my time on anything that doesn't give me something. As with many of my books lately due to summer driving back and forth between lake house and city I had this read to me in it's audio version. I think perhaps if I were reading the hard copy I may not have finished it. So it's a 2.5 out of 5 stars really. Much to be said for the audio narrator doing and excellent job.
(O
Pamela
Interesting if you like to pick up a few details of life in medieval (mostly) England and Europe. Six writers each produce a mystery based on a theme - a 7th century fictional book of prophecies written by an Irish monk provokes people of later centuries to commit mayhem and murder. The writers possess varying degrees of talent - none brilliant. Some of the stories drag, others beggar belief. My favorite, and perhaps the most successful because the author limited the variables, takes place in a ...more
Jo
A collection of short stories centred around the theme of the Black Book of Bran, containing various prophecies by a seventh century Irish monk. I didn't enjoy this as much as earlier collections by the Medieval Murderers although some stories were better than others. New boy on the block C.J. Sansom adds a futuristic tale on the subject and, as much as I love his writing and liked this story, I didn't think it sat well with the other stories.
Debbie
Ice Bear
A divergent path for this set of linked stories as it finishes in the future, sort of a 'down to earth' cloud atlas. In addition some more linking of historical notes. I am warming to this series.
This once is about perspective and interpretation, due to the period in which these books take place, religion is a key element, both the mystery and the misuse.
Kevin
An addled monk writes down his "prophecies" in the 7th Century. A series of mystery authors wrote stories revolving around these prophecies at different times in the book's life. I had high hopes and still enjoyed this read but found it lacking. I wish one of the authors had written the entire book so the writing would flow.
Hilary
It was a fun read. The Medieval Murderers are a collection of authors who write mystery novels set in Medieval times. I enjoyed this because each author used their own detectives, so I was introduced to some new authors, and read some favourites. I may or may not check out some others in the series, though.
Noel
This book proves that it is unwise to judge a book by its cover. I absolutely loved the cover and totally didn't like the book :-(

The book combines two genres which I normally don't engage in: short stories and murder mysteries. Bring them together and... what was I thinking???

Sian Taylor
I really enjoyed this book. As it is written by 6 different authors, you had to deal with six different writing styles, however I thought this contributed to my enjoyment of it. Weaving six different stories around a central theme also ensured continuity throughout the novel.
Larry Wentzel
AS a compilation, I liked some of the mysteries more than others. As most were historical mysteries, I liked the way they recreated the periods in the course of the stories. I did not care for the last mystery, as it was a sci-fi mystery that was out of keeping with the rest.
Alice
Each writer tells a portion of the Black Book of Bran's history.

I was reading for CJ Sansom's portion--2135 interesting --Alice was name of Silva's lover (protagonist of that portion)
Jason
Interesting short stories that beg the question, does knowledge of a prophecy make it self-fulfilling? Overall not bad diversion, but don't expect much in the way of an ending.
Wogc
This anthology is not strong enough for a 3 stars, but it's also rather a 2.5 than just a 2 stars. stories are interesting but while some were good, I struggled a bit with others.
Cathy
I really do intend to finish this book. I just need it to be on a vacation or a long weekend when I am o.k. with something a little slower.
Nan
Enjoyed the majority of the acts in this story, but not the last one. It seemed to be a little over the top from the rest of the book.
Doreen Dalesandro
Five (or six) stories in which an ancient book of prophecies plays a central role. I just could not get into in.
Danderdonk
The last chapter, by cj sansom was the best. The story has stuck in my mind, and comes back to me occasionally.
Martijn
A nice book but sometimes a little tough to get through. A bit of a medieval detective story but not quit.
Tammy
Dec 07, 2011 Tammy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended in the book, Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading.
Kally Sheng
"... the love of money is the root of all evils." - John de Alençon, Pg, 64
Brenda Haven
Really don't know if I will finish this. I find it extremely dull reading.
Susan
Sep 14, 2010 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Book list Fantastic Fiction
The six authors intertwine the story perfectly as one. Very good
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
  • Murder in the Holy City (Sir Geoffrey Mappestone, #1)
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)

The Medieval Murderers (10 books)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • House of Shadows (The Medieval Murderers, #3)
  • King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5)
  • The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)
  • Hill of Bones  (The Medieval Murderers, #7)
  • The First Murder  (The Medieval Murderers, #8)
  • The False Virgin
  • The Deadliest Sin (The Medieval Murderers, #10)
The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1) The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2) King Arthur's Bones (The Medieval Murderers, #5) House of Shadows (The Medieval Murderers, #3) The Sacred Stone (The Medieval Murderers, #6)

“... the love of money is the root of all evils." - John de Alençon, Pg, 64” 0 likes