Start by marking “The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, Book 1)

The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn #1)

Welcome to the Scatterhorn Museum! But don't get too excited - it's a cold and dingy place, crammed full of tatty stuffed animals and junk. Nobody much wants to visit any more, and its days are surely numbered. But when Tom is sent to live here he soon finds there is more to this museum than meets the eye.
455 pages
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Museum's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Museum's Secret

Empire of Books
Jun 09, 2010 Empire of Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! I don’t know where to begin!

The Museum’s Secret is the first book in a trilogy. The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn. And boy are they remarkable! The first chapter is an explosive beginning, weaving together a beetle-hunting expedition to Mongolia, and a terrifying river of predatory beetles!

We then get to meet Tom. An 11-year-old boy who’s been sent to spend the holidays with his rather eccentric Aunt and Uncle. The Scatterhorn family have owned the myster
Raven and Beez
Read on blog!!

WOHOHO! I don't even know where to begin.

The Museum's secret is the first book in the trilogy of The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn. The second is The Hidden World and the third being The Forgotten Echo.

The book captivates you from the first chapter with a beetle-hunting expedition and soon you are introduced to Tom's eccentric Aunt and Uncle.

The Scatterhorn family have owned the Scatterhorn Museum for as long as any one can remember. The taxidermy animals who used to be
Ian
Nov 05, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is remarkable
Jordan
Dec 30, 2011 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

3,5/5

Dès le départ, le roman ne m'attirait pas spécialement. Je trouvais le résumé assez moyen, et le fait qu'il y est peu d'avis sur Internet m'avait encore un peu plus refroidi. Au final, ma première impression ne s'est pas révélée complètement fausse. Je n'ai pas beaucoup aimé ce roman. Mais j'ai tout de même apprécié l'histoire qu'il contenait. J'ai même été très surpris par la fin. Un petit voyage très agréable, au final.
Nous suivons ici Tom, un jeune
Ingrid Fasquelle
Henry Chancellor est né à Londres en 1968. Avant de devenir écrivain, il a passé de nombreuses années à réaliser des documentaires, ce qui l'a amené à voyager aux quatre coins du monde, dans des endroits très étonnants. Le musée abandonné est le premier tome de la trilogie des Extraordinaires aventures de Tom Scatterhorn.

Si vous aimez les livres d'aventures ou vous plonger dans des films d'action comme Indiana Jones ou Jumanji, le premier tome des extraordinaires aventures de Tom Scatterhorn a t
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
This might actually deserve 2 1/2 stars but I put 3 because I'm willing to read the next book in the hope that more will be explained. Throughout this book I kept wondering what was going on.

Tom Scatterhorn is an 11 year-old boy whose father has gone missing while searching for something mysterious in the Mongolian wilderness. Tom's mother has gone to look for him so Tom has gone to stay with his quirky aunt and uncle who are the caretakers of the Scatterhorn Museum. The museum is dark and fall
Clarabel
Feb 25, 2012 Clarabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Passionnant, si on accepte de partir à la découverte d'un musée humide, sombre et glauque, avec des animaux empaillés, et une histoire de diamant disparu. Le héros du roman est un jeune garçon de douze ans, Tom Scatterhorn, son père est porté disparu en Mongolie, sa mère part à sa recherche et Tom est accueilli chez son oncle Jos et sa tante Melba. Le musée va vite devenir son nouveau terrain de jeux, avec des couloirs qui font voyager dans le temps et des animaux qui ressuscitent alors qu'on ne ...more
Salima Korri
I was looking forward to reading this book however even though the plot was very original I thought it lacked something. I thought there was too much adventure and less explaining of what was going on so I did seem lost when I read this.

Tom is an eleven year old boy who comes to work at his family's famous museum that is on the verge of going bankrupt. His father and mother are have gone missing in the jungle and he is suddenly able to communicate with the 'dead' animals at the museum.

I didn't
Paula
Jan 18, 2013 Paula rated it it was ok
It just kept getting weirder and weirder. And there were too many plotlines. By the time I was fed up with all the twists, I was halfway through the book and emotionally invested enough in the main characters that I wanted to find out how it ended. I was so relieved when I finished it. Yes, there's a bit of a happy ending but the book was just too "out there" for my taste. Time travel and immortality I've read before and have no problem suspending my disbelief for that. But stuffed museum ...more
Callum H
May 07, 2010 Callum H rated it it was amazing
Tom Scatterhorn is on a big adventure to find out the secret behind his museum. He is a twelve year boy on a huge adventure so this book is very exciting in a sense that he is very brave and does not back down easily to anything or anyone in his way. This book has twists in every chapter and makes you think how you would feel against so many powerful people, either on your side or against you. I would recommend this to people around the age of 9-14 who like a good adventure and enjoy lots of ...more
Jessica
Aug 13, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
In saying that the adventures of Tom Scatterhorn are remarkable, this book does not lie. The story is a tale of mystery, time-travelling, strange people, determination and much more. It follows the life of 11-year-old Tom, but it shouldn't be dismissed as being purely for young readers as it's content and style add the level of maturity many older readers crave. A well-written piece, I look forward to the next book.
Mark Vanderjagt
May 14, 2013 Mark Vanderjagt rated it liked it
Overall I enjoyed this book for its originality. There was a good plot and interesting characters, but the quality of writing held the book back. I started reading it to see if my kids would like it. They may once they are 10 or 11. I will read the second one in the series to see if there is improvement
Sam
Nov 20, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book, as it is definitely very creative, though slightly weird, as people turn in to beetles... Quite good though, it's definitely very action pack, though it didn't explain extremely well, and I got lost a lot. If you're looking for a good read though, you'll find it here.
Anna-Sofie
Mar 29, 2013 Anna-Sofie rated it really liked it
After a bit of a slow start I found myself dragged into the magic world of Tom Scatterhorn, a traveller in time, and the rusty museum of his ancestor Henry Scatterhorn. It's a well-written and humorous book, and I'm already looking forward to the next book in the series!
Alexandra Carey
Oct 04, 2014 Alexandra Carey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
One of my favourite children's books. Utterly gripping, funny and clever. My daughters read it when they were 9 and 11 and they both adored it as did my husband. Clearly a great read for the whole family.
Ann Marie
Mar 19, 2015 Ann Marie rated it it was ok
Reading this one with Zoë. Felt this story was too mature for YA fiction at points, and also that it just didn't always hang together. And at 500+ pages, there were definitely points where it dragged!
Selene
Aug 04, 2011 Selene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story that had many unique features. About a boy who travels through time to stop a beetle getting the elixir of life.
Kenzie Boonstra
it is a book that really took a turn for the worst in the middle and i couldn`t put it down!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Stargazer
Aug 01, 2013 Stargazer rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-under-12s
I'd give the first half of this 4 stars, but when I read the last half I couldn't quite feel it. Would probably read it to a class though.Will try book 2.
Oliver
Apr 28, 2012 Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of adventure
My goodness, that is just one of the most unexpected, weirdest, eyebrow-rising climax I have ever read! I mean, wow, talk about surprises.
Suzy Platt
Jul 19, 2014 Suzy Platt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cameron
My 12 year old son enjoyed this book, I chose it for him from the library. Hes looking forward to reading the next book.
Daisy
Mar 27, 2012 Daisy added it
This book is awesome!!
so gripping, me and my mum loved this sooo much!! such a good book!

defiantly one to read!
Jadon
Jun 04, 2012 Jadon rated it it was amazing
This book is proberly one of the strangest books i've ever read and i have read a lot or books, but it was amazing and had lots if surprices inside.
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Gordon MacPherson
Gordon MacPherson rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Katniss
Katniss rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2009
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Al
Al rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Portia
Portia rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Nest
  • Nickolai of the North (Nickolai, #1)
  • The Return of the Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #2)
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • The Secret of the Tibetan Treasure (Nancy Drew, #108)
  • The Prince of Neither Here Nor There
  • Measle and the Dragodon
  • Scarlett Dedd
  • Jasmine Skies
  • The Shadow of Malabron (Perilous Realm, #1)
  • Woolvs in the Sitee
  • Terrienne
  • Saving Daisy
  • Così
  • Summer at Forsaken Lake
  • The Unicorn Crisis (The Hidden Academy #1)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Frozen in Time
Henry Chancellor is the author of the highly acclaimed Colditz: The Definetive History and James Bond - The Man and His World: The Official Companion To Ian Flemming's Creation. His remarkable television series, Escape From Colditz, won sweeping praise and has been shown all over the world. His documentaries for television include The Great Belzoni, Millenium and Commando.

The Museum's Secret was
More about Henry Chancellor...

The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn (3 books)
  • The Hidden World (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn: Book 2)
  • The Forgotten Echo (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, # 3)

“Sir Henry fixed him with a keen eye.
'Odd name, Tom Skatt - eh?'
'Thats right'
'You don't think we could be related?'
Tom looked up at his great-great-great-uncle and smiled.
'I don't think so'
'No,' grinned Sir Henry "no, of course not”
3 likes