Blank-133x176
Der Landsitz: Roman

Danielle Steel

Der Landsitz: Roman

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  2,941 ratings  ·  79 reviews
The need to rent out his enormous Bel Air estate leads Cooper Winslow to some tenants who will change his life in unexpected ways.
Published 2008 by Knaur (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Der Landsitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Landsitz

Mitsu Vaishnav
The Cottage !!!

Against a glittering backdrop of celebrity and glamour, DANIELLE STEEL digs deeper to tell a story of friendship and love, tragedy and second chances…of the choices and unexpected turns of fate that can shape characters and lives.

Danielle Steel has always been one of my favorite writers. The way she presents various relationships with a stroke of a pen is simply mind-boggling. I myself have lost count of the number of novels I have read which have been written by her. But all of t...more
Michelle Robinson
Wow, this book was overwraught and impossible to believe. I understand that it is a work of fiction but this stretches credibility a bit too far. There is a happy ending but this is a bit too much. It strains even the most forgiving reader's ability to accept. For me it is just too too much a of a fairytale. You will find yourself asking really????? Too convenient too contrived for one to enjoy the ending or the read.
Kristen
In the Cottage, Danielle Steel told us another heart-warming romance about newfound friendship and second changes in the most unlikely places. Cooper Winslow, Hollywood's ageless wonder and rising star parked his car in front of home in Los Angeles, that was designed and modeled from one of Newport, Rhode Island's "cottages." As new acting roles head his way, he had to face a heart-breaking decision on his home he loved for 40 years: sell it or rent part of his home. That's when he met two new r...more
Julie Barrett
The Cottage by Danielle Steel
Coop Winslow a film star is broke.
The cottage, BelAir, CA sits on 14 acres-like the ones in Newport, RI-they are mansions.
He takes in boarders to make ends meet. The book also follows Mark who all of a sudden is getting a divorce. His wife Janet who had been traveling to and from NY fell in love with her mothers doctor.
Margaret and Jimmy are social workers and he sets up children to go to foster homes, sometimes taking them in temporarily. She had died.
Abe, Coop's...more
Cindy
It started out ok. Kind of wondered where it was going with getting into such hardships for Mark and Jimmy. Then there was Coop. I did not like him through most of the book. Not until he discussed his and Alex's relationship with her and he proved that he did have a heart and a conscience. Yea for Coop, finally. I really thought that this was going to be the only Steele book I have read that I wished I hadn't. But Coop pulled it out toward the end for me.
Sarah Waters
Was initially too embarrassed to publish that I have read this book on here then I though why not....everyone needs to read a predictable, trashy story occasionally. This book fits that description to a t.
Char
Coop is truly a teddy bear as you make your way thru The Cottage. This story of lives entertained and new friendships is a recommended book
Phil Williams
I read this book because my niece is a fan of Danielle Steel. I had expected that after writing ten thousand books, or however many she has written, that the words would flow over the pages as smoothly as a fine scented oil.
They don't.
The writing is as hard to wade through as a swimming pool filled with Jell-O. The characters are stiff and barely there. We know who they are, but not really what they feel, only the surface emotions. The point of view changes from one character to another, from pa...more
Jan
A light, quick read about an aging movie star and the two men to whom he leases part of his estate.
Sandra Trostle
Ok - bought at a flea market for $1. Glad I didn't pay more!
Dpic
Entertaining fluff. A bit 'rich'.
Tairyn Ayala
Very slow paced. It was almost the end of the book by the time I really knew what it was about. This is the first Danielle Steele book I read in a LONG time and I wish I'd have picked a different one.
Rhonda
Very predictable...
Andrea Stoeckel
I am very picky about which Steeles I read and out if the zillions she's written, I have only read a few. The Cottage is a great escape. Cooper Winslow, a long in the tooth, living way beyond his means actor is forced to rent out part of his Cottage in order to keep it. The result is a kind of deep life he's not really had before and true friends. That is the best part of this, the development of real friends for a man who lived fairly superficially
Sana Rose
This was the first DS novel I read. Some characters touched me while it was almost a dream like story. Predictable of course, but readable. I loved the character of Alex, the Medico that she was. And yes, the message of second chance found in most of Steel's works. A hollywood novel in setting and credibility. Some characters were lovable and Jimmy's one of them. And the death of his wife was touching.
An okay read.
Karen
It was just an okay book. Typical Danielle Steel story. About half way through the book, a car wreck happens. At that point, you kinda start getting a feeling of what is going to happen and after the car wreck, you have the whole thing figured out. But it was a good read. Just wasn't anything exciting. Would be an okay book to read if you had nothing else.
Jenn Edward
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. I read it in a week and considering it was the first book I've read in a while and finished it so fast I must of liked it. I felt for all of the characters in the story, and that doesn't happen very often. Great and fast read!
Laura Beth
FINALLY! The Danielle Steel I grew up reading has returned! I really enjoyed this. It's classic Steel - lavish homes and lifestyles, beautiful people with sadnesses & flaws, multiple love stories, and some (not so surprising) surprises. A great way to spend a few hours.
Marianne Jay
Was this book predictable - a bit. Was this book classic Danielle Steel - yes - and that's why I love it.

When I am in the mood for an awesome, predictable beach read, I always turn to Danielle Steel - cause you can't go wrong. You KNOW what your gonna get.
Connie N.
Danielle Steel books are usually full of intriguing characters, and this one is no exception. The 3 main characters are men in varying circumstances, whose lives come together by chance. I liked reading about each of them and their ways of coping with problems.
Brandy
This book was pretty cheesy. Sometimes I wonder why I read her books. Some are just so good and others are pretty bad. This was the story of a famous movie star who goes through all kinds of changes in his life. It was just ok.
Rritalimaj
Very predictable. I gave it to my mother to read and she only read a couple of chapters and could tell me almost the whole plot. Very predictable ... fun reading though - like watching a movie :)
Swanbender2001
I was surprised to find the depth of character and insight with this reading and enjoyed it very much. It was my introduction to Danielle Steel and I won't hesitate to read more by her.
Jodie
A little boring and predictable. I didn't really connect with or care about any of the characters. I usually love most of her books, but this one did nothing for me.
Amy
This book was an easy breezy read - typical Danielle Steel and yes, very predictable. Good storyline and characters you can really relate to.
ReneeB
I was a bit surprised that most of the characters in this were all men. Not really what I expected from DS. But it was a nice change of pace.
Jeanne
This book was chosen for Book Club by Barb for April 2004. An aging actor, divorced father, and widower become residents on the same property.
Tara
In the end it all worked out for the Cottage, Coop, Alex, Mark and Jimmy, who up until that point had a very tramatic time in their lives.
Danielle Steel Bo...: The Cottage 1 2 Nov 20, 2012 08:53PM
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • Chords of Strength: A Memoir of Soul, Song and the Power of Perseverance
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
  • Kentucky Rich
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Ryan's Place  (The Devaneys #1)
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Here's the Deal: Don't Touch Me
  • Calder Pride (Calder Saga #5)
  • Mother, Please!
  • Fireflies
  • We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Show-Biz Saga
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Emma's Secret (Emma Harte Saga #4)
  • Summer's Child & Summer of Roses
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things