Start by marking “Le Faucheur (Les Annales du Disque-Monde, #11)” as Want to Read:
Le Faucheur (Les Annales du Disque-Monde, #11)

Le Faucheur (Discworld #11)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  62,347 Ratings  ·  1,770 Reviews
Le "disque-monde" est plat, porté par quatre éléphants debout sur le dos d'une tortue naviguant dans le cosmos. Tout le monde le sait et quoiqu'en disent certaines sectes, c'est la vérité. C'est en tout cas vrai pour cet univers délirant où toutes les règles sont faites pour être transgressées.

Les héros de ce monde sont à son image : atypiques.
Rincevent, magicien malchan

Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published June 13th 2002 by Pocket (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Le Faucheur, please sign up.

Tim No problem at all. I started my journey into Discworld with The Light Fantastic (book 2), even if it's a direct sequel to The Colour of Magic (book 1)…moreNo problem at all. I started my journey into Discworld with The Light Fantastic (book 2), even if it's a direct sequel to The Colour of Magic (book 1) (you do have to read these books together). After that I read Hogfather, which came out much later.

The other Discworld novels are written so that you can read them without worries and thus go back and forth, even if some characters come back here and there.

So.. yes, you can read Reaper Man without prior knowledge. ;-)

This overview, the last novel not added yet, can also help you find your way in the reading process: https://kokkieh.files.wordpress.com/2...(less)

Anthony Eaton
Apr 11, 2009 Anthony Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can you not like Death?

HOW, INDEED?

I'm sorry, did someone say something?

NEVER MIND. I'LL ONLY BE HERE A MOMENT.

Oh, okay then. Anyway, as I was...erk...
Jennie
Aug 27, 2007 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Probably my favorite of all of the Discworld novels (and that's a hard choice, given my total love of the series). Of all of Pratchett's many quirky characters, I think I love Death the best, though I couldn't begin to tell you why. In this installment, Death gets fired and has to get a day job. In typical Discworld fashion, not everything goes according to plan.

Don't pay attention to the critics' quotes on the front of the book. Anyone who compares Pratchett to Tolkien or Douglas Adams hasn't a
Lyn
Mar 12, 2017 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1976 Blue Oyster Cult sang Don’t Fear the Reaper. In 1991, Sir Terry Pratchett first published his 11th Discworld novel Reaper Man. The comparison is mine, apparently Pratchett titled the book as a reference to Alex Cox’s 1984 fantasy film starring Emilio Estevez.

So, what happens when our Discworld friend Death is given a timer and … time to spend it? We get this fun book that helps us to revisit Discworld and some of our favorite Pratchett characters like Death, the Unseen Academy staff, Cut
Aaron
May 11, 2007 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
If I could steal credit for a book and claim it as my own, Reaper Man would most likely be it. This is the point, I think, where the Discworld novels stopped being entertaining light reading, and really became literature. It's a very subtle shift from the little parodies of science fiction and fantasy conventions of things like The Light Fantastic to the rich satire of a book like Jingo. Behind the story of Death being fired for having developed a personality, there's a clever little parable abo ...more
Emer
Wizards don't believe in gods in the same way that most people don't find it necessary to believe in, say, tables. They know they're there, they know they're there for a purpose, they'd probably agree that they have a place in a well-organised universe, but they wouldn't see the point of believing, of going around saying "O great table, without whom we are as naught." Anyway, either the gods are there whether you believe in them or not, or exist only as a function of the belief, so either way yo
La Mala ✌
Apr 19, 2015 La Mala ✌ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mi hermano me dice que, como fue mi cumpleaños, tiene pensado regalarme libros.
-¡Si!- digo yo, saltando en una pata.
-Haceme una lista de que autores te gustan.
Le hago una lista de casi 20 autores, le marco las prioridades, le anoto los títulos que ya tengo de cada uno y, además, le hago una lista extra de autores , en caso de que, por alguna razón, no hubiera ninguno de los que le marqué en un principio, esos otros funcionarían como opciones "aceptables".

(Era una lista de tres hojas)

Hoy, dos día
Celise
Mar 17, 2017 Celise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away...”

"I want more Death" is what I spent most of this book thinking. 60% of this was about Windle Poons and other wizards and I just wasn't into the silly randomness of the problems they were dealing with. The "life force" issues felt too much like the alchemy issues in Moving Pictures, and I just couldn't get into that one.

I wanted to experience more of Death's life on the farm, and his whole side of things. I liked The
Jasmine
Mar 12, 2015 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away—until the clock wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone’s life is only the core of their actual existence.”

— Terry Pratchett (1948-2015).

Thank you, Mr. Pratchett. God speed.
Melki
Jan 04, 2013 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...it's just that life is a habit that's hard to break...

With Death off gallivanting around, Discworld residents discover that eternal life ain't all it's cracked up to be. Others just want those dead people to GO AWAY ALREADY!

Perhaps a support group is in order?

This entry in the series has EVERYTHING - action, adventure, thrills, chills, and romance, in addition to the usual amount of rampant silliness one has come to expect from Pratchett, who manages to prove once and for all that WORDS CAN H
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 Tfitoby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this whilst running and all the wonderful insightful thoughts I'd had about it over the past few weeks escape me as I sit exhausted yet happy. Reaper Man is the second novel that focuses on Death. This time he has been shorn of his anthropomorphic designation and sentenced to a short life on the Disc as punishment for becoming too individual. Those pesky Auditors make their Discworld debut (as do a whole raft of wonderfully fun creations including many new species in Reg Shoe's Fre ...more
Martitara
3.5. Tiene un arranque muy muy muy muy divertido (sublime incluso), y una sinposis de lo más Pratchett: la Muerte tiene más personalidad de la que la Muerte debería tener jamás, así que la apartan de su trabajo. El problema es que, sin un sustituto a la altura, la vida chorrea por todas partes: los objetos inanimados se vuelven locos, los muertos están vivos, el abono del jardín te ataca de manera teorrífica... ¿Quién no querría saber cómo termina todo esto?
David Sarkies
May 09, 2013 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Invasion of the Shopping Centres
6 July 2013

I guess the person that said that the problem with Terry Pratchett is that you have to read him more than once probably applied it to this book in the same way that it had been applied to the other books that I have read and discovered that the second time around I have enjoyed them much more than the first time. Okay, I am probably not going to pick up Moving Pictures again, though this one is definitely one that I should come back to again some time
Kevin
Jul 07, 2017 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor, audiobook
Death plays as the Boot in Monopoly, and once again shows his humanity. Pratchett showed the world that death isn't an ending it's a release especially for the very old, 130 year old wizard Wendel Poons. He shares other wisdom as well, "Inside every living person is a dead person waiting to get out", "Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!"

When death comes and asks if you have any last words, "Yes, I don't want to go."

Death to all tyrants.

Great fun read, now onto Soul Music
Kaethe
Jun 05, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fiction, beloved, death
1 Jan 2002
6 Jul 2014
13 May 2016

Is there anyone who doesn't love Death? He's one of the greatest characters ever. *** Some days a book on the shelf just happens to catch your eye as you walk past, and you think, "Yes! That is exactly what I want to read today!" So you do. And Death takes a (working) holiday, and life is bursting out all over, and the plot is silly, and the characters are so engaging, and you've read it before, so you know what to expect. And it doesn't matter that I didn't read
Samantha Tolleson
Sep 29, 2016 Samantha Tolleson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, High Fantasy fans, Comedy fans, Douglas Adams fans
Recommended to Samantha by: previous books
So I'm starting new healthy exercises; after my surgeries 3 years ago. Pratchett has inspired me to get back into shape with his wit and humor. Using the Google Fit and 30 day Challenge apps. The work out regime is Full Body, Abs, Butt, Arms workout, and 2 mile walks.
Day 1: My body is screaming...
pain gif photo: That HURTS Thathurts.gif
Day 2: Exercise says to me...
hurt gif photo: mortoscrubs_zps1e715344.gif
Day 3: I say to exercise...
hurt gif photo: tiodio1_zpsf60daaba.gif
Day 4: It's a rest day. Color me surprised, and my husband is now going to join in.
happy gif photo: gif Evangelon dance3.gif
Day 5: and I've came across the librarian of the Magic Univ
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
4.5
'Inside Every Living Person is a Dead Person Waiting to Get Out...'
Death is one of my favourite Discworld characters and Reaper Man is the second book in the Death novels. I prefer reading in general Discworld reading order though. Still, whether you read these books like I do, or you choose to read them as separate novels about Rincewind, or Death, or witches and so on, you will have lots of fun.

Death gets fired. Or something like that anyway. Instead of mopping around feeling sorry for
D. M. M. Jacobs
Mar 12, 2015 D. M. M. Jacobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: masterpiece
Upon hearing the tragic news today, I have realized I have not added this book or written a review of it, and I feel truly bad about that.

If someone were to ask me which of Terry Pratchett's book is my favorite, I wouldn't hesitate. All of his books are works of art, but among them, this one stands out like a true masterpiece to me. I think this is the first book he wrote that has actually made me cry both in laughter and in sadness. It is the only one of his books that I have re-read so many ti
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
He's done it again.

My favourite of all of the Discworld novels.

Death is a fascinating character, and seeing his strain of humanity just makes him all the more so.

Reaper Man is HILARIOUS. Death is so awkward, so unsure of himself in the realm of the living. And when your time is running out, you want to experience everything life has to offer. And when you've never lived, maybe the basics ARE the most important parts of life.
TheBookSmugglers
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Reaper Man is a book that I find really hard to define. It would be so easy to simply describe it as a hilarious – or even absurdist – romp about the chaos that ensues after Death is (forcibly) retired without an immediate replacement to take over his duties. There are wizards running around, there are snow globes that pop out of nowhere then hatch into EVIL shopping trolleys (!!), a bunch of previously-undead people (including a vampire and a boogeyma
B. Barceló
Mar 29, 2017 B. Barceló rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Este segundo libro de la saga de la Muerte me encanta, lo recomiendo a todo el mundo y seguramente lo vuelva a leer dentro de no mucho tiempo, pero me deja con un sabor agridulce.
Hay que decir que los personajes del Mundodisco son estupendos, todos y cada uno de ellos. No hay dos iguales y lo que me enamora de ellos es que no es necesario que hablen muchas veces. Por ejemplo, la Muerte de las Ratas o el Bibliotecario, no dicen "nada", pero se comprende perfectamente lo que está diciendo o suced
Hosker
Jul 04, 2011 Hosker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Sep 15, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
Chris' first Pratchett? Yes. (Awwwwwwwww ... how sweet)

At the urging of quite a few friends both on and off of GR's, I finally got around to reading my very first Terry Pratchett Discworld novel. I am happy to report that it was a great experience.

All the rumors are true: Pratchett is witty, quick and has excellent timing. I found myself laughing about some of the scenes in this novel well after I had read them, sometimes in public, and sometimes drawing a few curious stares from passers by*.

Thi
YouKneeK
Reaper Man is the second book in the Death subseries of the Discworld universe. In this book, Death essentially gets fired for having developed too much of an individual personality. Until somebody is found to replace him, people aren’t dying properly. There are two main characters in the story, each with separate but related storylines. Death is one of them, and the other is a 130-year-old wizard named Windle Poons. Poons fails to die properly without Death on the job and thus becomes undead.

Wi
Javier Muñoz
Como todo libro de Pratchett tiene su gracia y un montón de detallitos que por si solos hacen que merezca la pena su lectura, sin embargo este en concreto no me ha terminado de enganchar, no se si no he estado del humor adecuado o si simplemente no sintonizo con los personajes, pero el caso es que no es de los libros de Pratchett que más he disfrutado.

En todo caso sirve para pasar el rato y tiene algunos personajes memorables como Windle Poons o la señorita Flitworth... y por supuesto la muerte
Roviragrao
Oct 10, 2012 Roviragrao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relecturas
(Relectura Mundodisco #11)

Una de las novelas más brillantes de Terry Pratchett, un perfecto ejemplo de su filosofía de vida: serio no es lo contrario de divertido.

Hay muchas citas memorables que salen de esta novela, voy a terminar con una que por motivos evidentes me ha llegado al alma en esta relectura: "Nadie ha muerto del todo hasta que mueren las ondulaciones que ha provocado en este mundo: hasta que se para el reloj al que dio cuerda, hasta que fermenta el vino que preparó, hasta que se r
Nicole
Lee Broderick
Re-read of another edition 3/5/13: A lot of people seem to think that this is a book about what happens when Death takes a holiday. To a certain extent it is. The premise is simple: if you believe in a psychopomp then what would happen if they were no longer there? That though, is just the opening gambit - the framework within which to explore something more fundamental - time.

At the heart of this book is a tale of two people (or personalities, as Terry Pratchett would no doubt refer to them). O
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, pratchett
So. What are your thoughts on death?

Or rather, Death?

It's a weird thing, death. I mean, you're here one minute and then you're... not. And while we all know intellectually that we're going to die, there's something in us that refuses to believe that the essential Person that we are could possibly cease to exist. We have personalities, unique aggregations of memory and experience and inborn preferences that all display themselves as a Person, as far as we know unique in all the world. Each human
Наталия Янева
Jun 09, 2013 Наталия Янева rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Какво се получава, когато Смърт изведнъж се сдобие с време (той няма Време – или пък има всичкото време в, нека го кажа пратчетски, мултивселената – винаги е въпрос на гледна точка)? Ами налага се да умре. А какво става, когато Смърт принудително си вземе отпуск от... задълженията си? Животът живва, така да се каже – повече от обикновеното, де. Умрелите също не се държат съвсем обичайно. Най-меко казано. Всъщност напълно отказват да бъдат умрели (не че проявяват инат, просто не могат да си умрат ...more
Nancy
Jun 13, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fantasy with some wisdom thrown in.
Recommended to Nancy by: Laura
Shelves: fantasy
Terry Pratchett is funny. Terry Pratchett is a philosopher. Terry Pratchett is a delight and the trouble with Terry Pratchett is you should read his books more than once.
Terry Pratchett is maddening. I'm not at all sure I got everything he was saying. There are double meanings everywhere and to read this book is to want to start over and read it again.

If anyone asks about what Pratchett's book is about, just hand it over. He is very hard to explain. If you want to add quotes, it is nearly imp
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count 9780062237354 2 16 Mar 29, 2016 08:50PM
Can Reaper Man be my first Discworld novel? 21 202 Dec 24, 2014 10:47PM
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • The Night Club: Part One

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” 2596 likes
“Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” 2152 likes