Start by marking “The Royal Hunt of the Sun” as Want to Read:
The Royal Hunt of the Sun

The Royal Hunt of the Sun

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
History / Casting: 22m, 2f, extras / Scenery: Cyc, drops, inset The Spanish expedition under Pizzaro to the land of the Incas told in dazzling spectacle and moral chiaroscuro. After general absolution for any crimes they may commit against the pagan Incas, the conquerors set forth upon the sea. The Inca god is a sun god, ruler of the riches and people of Peru and thought t ...more
Published July 26th 2010 by Samuel French, Inc. (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Royal Hunt of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Royal Hunt of the Sun

Stuart Aken
Jan 17, 2013 Stuart Aken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This play was first performed at the National Theatre in Chichester on 7th June 1964, when I was a young man of 16. I've never seen a performance, but I wish I had. Bernard Levin described the work as 'The greatest play of our generation', and I can see why, having merely read the text.

This is a piece of fictionalised history with much taken from recorded sources. It reads as true. It reads as a commentary on the utter hypocrisy of the early Catholic Church, the greed of those who would make Emp
Tori
Oct 29, 2009 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in the 7th grade,and it was pressed opon us by our teachers.I didn't have a choice reading it,but I didn't mind.It was a playbook,describing when men from Spain went to take gold from the Inca's.While the vocabulary is hard to break through,the action is plentifull enough to keep you hooked.It's like a fun history lesson that is performed.
jennifer
This play, written in the early 60's, deals with the Spanish conquest of the Incas. Pizarro, De Soto and their army of soldiers and priests travel to Peru in search of gold. They find a culture that has no hunger or sin and plenty of gold. The people are ruled by Atahuallpa, the son of the sun. He is held prisoner by the Spaniards until his people bring all the gold they possess to Pizarro, but over the months Pizarro and the king develop a friendship that threatens the Spanish army.
I wanted to
Erin Quinney
Jan 26, 2016 Erin Quinney rated it liked it
I'd like to see this production, as envisioned by Shaffer. The stage directions are insanely specific.
Storyheart
Jan 24, 2016 Storyheart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, plays
Haunting drama about the destruction of the Incan empire.
Anupam Srivastava
Apr 05, 2015 Anupam Srivastava rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is one of the greatest plays ever. It depicts the conquest of the incas by a handful of Spanish invaders by intimidating, impressing and cheating the trusting Incas. As a work of art, it is incredible and the dialogues stay in your head forever as is the case with me - read and acted in this okay in 1988.
Janet Mitchell
Feb 15, 2013 Janet Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this play because my husband was in it on broadway with Christopher Plummer. The play addressed the morality of war and taking over small countries. Also greed and deception but mostly I wanted to know more about my husband's experience on Broadway.
N
Frank
Apr 19, 2012 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is actually a play but reads really well as a story. Intersting take on a familiar story (Pizarro, The Inca's etc) - how the Spanish conquistador's found it difficult to comprehend a society that seemed to have no rich or poor in material terms.
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first came accross this as a school text book, and I was captivated, it revealed another world. Read it again recently and although it didn't hold the same fascination I could still see that it is a remarkable book.
Antoine
Perhaps not the wisest choice for an all-school summer reading. It was not really a hit with students (but what is?), however at least it was somewhat interesting for the teachers.
Ian
Oct 13, 2015 Ian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
oh god it's all exposition why won't it stop make it stop
Alaric
Apr 22, 2013 Alaric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read many many years ago at school and enjoyed.
Carmen
Carmen added it
Aug 28, 2016
Sami Abouzid
Sami Abouzid marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Zeni
Zeni added it
Aug 20, 2016
Don Arsenault
Don Arsenault rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Jennim
Jennim added it
Aug 28, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Gemma
Gemma marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Dusan Nikolic
Dusan Nikolic rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Nacho Navarrete
Nacho Navarrete rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Ruben Mor
Ruben Mor marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Ben Pieper
Ben Pieper marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Liane Kerry
Liane Kerry marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jeanne Kay
Jeanne Kay rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Ivan Wiyanto
Ivan Wiyanto rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Uzma Bokhari
Uzma Bokhari marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • Observe the Sons of Ulster Marching Towards the Somme
  • The Front Page
  • Our Country's Good
  • Three Plays: Our Town, The Skin of Our Teeth, and The Matchmaker
Sir Peter Levin Shaffer was an English dramatist, author of numerous award-winning plays, several of which have been filmed.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sh...
More about Peter Shaffer...

“At home we can say to our ladies: 'I love you', or to our native earth. It means we rejoice in their lives....Love must be free, or else it alters away. Command it to your court: it will send a deputy.” 2 likes
“Have you ever climbed a mountain in full armour? That's what we did, him going first the whole way up a tiny path into the clouds, with drops sheer on both sides into nothing. For hours we crept forward like blind men, the sweat freezing on our faces, lugging skittery leaking horses, and pricked all the time for the ambush that would tip us into death. Each turn of the path it grew colder. The friendly trees of the forest dropped away, and there were only pines. Then they went too, and there just scrubby little bushes standing up in ice. All round us the rocks began to whine the cold. And always above us, or below us, those filthy condor birds, hanging on the air with great tasselled wings....Four days like that; groaning, not speaking; the breath a blade in our lungs. Four days, slowly, like flies on a wall; limping flies, dying flies, up an endless wall of rock. A tiny army lost in the creases of the moon.” 1 likes