Start by marking “One Past Midnight: The Langoliers” as Want to Read:
One Past Midnight: The Langoliers

One Past Midnight: The Langoliers

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  23,283 Ratings  ·  286 Reviews
The first of a four-part audio series from Stephen King's best-selling book, Four Past Midnight. On a redeye flight from Los Angeles to Boston, only 11 passengers survive-but landing in a dead world makes them wish they hadn't.
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published October 1st 1995 by HighBridge Audio (first published January 1st 1989)

The Stand by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Best of Stephen King
64th out of 122 books — 2,771 voters
Un canto di Natale by Charles DickensL'ultimo cavaliere by Stephen KingMemorie di una Geisha by Arthur GoldenLe avventure di Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainIl mago di Oz by L. Frank Baum
LOST - i libri della serie tv
62nd out of 91 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Sammis
Jun 21, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Past Midnight contains four novellas by Stephen King. For the purpose of my book count, I'm counting each novella as a separate "book" and I'll be posting a separate review for each one.

The first novella is "The Langoliers" which I have to admit I was reluctant to read from the few minutes of the made for tv movie I've seen a few times on late night TV. My whole preconception of the story was of a group of people stuck on an airplane while angry hair balls barked at them from the tarmac. Th
Apr 06, 2008 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Langoliers is a good story. I can't put it any other way. I loved the Idea of the time rip being mistaken for the Aurora Borealis. The Langoliers had a lot of good ideas and developed them nicely, keeping the more outlandish ones within the realm of possibility. The plot was smooth (not any jerky transitions) and was very fun to read. It was also intelligent. It's one of those books you can't stop reading, it hooks you and doesn't let go. There was also less profanity that most of Stephen Ki ...more

Over the years this has remained one of my favorite pieces of King's writing. In a phrase, IT IS AWESOME. The first time you read it there is so much mystery, tension, what the bleep mindfuck going on that it literally keeps you on the edge of your seat. As a science fiction story, I proclaim it a classic.

You really want to come to this novella completely blind, because the reveals are so rewarding you don't want to be robbed of them early. But I have discovered upon subsequent re-reads (and no
Dec 02, 2008 Rex rated it liked it
Interesting story about what might exist just outside our own dimension, in the place where time is born or dies. I'd call this standard Stephen King fare -- good and entertaining, though it's not up there with his best. Still, average King is an above-average experience for me.
Marts  (Thinker)
Hey, this is one of those Stephen King books that I could just read over and over, and hey, I haven't said anything about the movie as yet, I've actually seen it about 5 times.
Imagine that a guy who's entire life is built on a fear of an imaginary thing!!
One Past Midnight or The Langoliers, by Stephen King, is a book about passengers who fall asleep on a plane and wake up and go to another place. There are many main characters, but the character who stood out more to me was Dinah. Dinah is a 10 year old girl who is blind. One of Dinah’s main internal conflicts is that she is blind. One of her external conflicts is with Mr. Toomy. He’s a crazy guy who hates Dinah.

During my time reading this book I made a text-to-self connection. There was a part
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This is more of a science fiction/thriller than horror. I enjoyed the ensemble cast, particularly the enigmatic Nick. This story does keep you wondering how things will be resolved. I thought the miniseries was pretty true to the story as well. Really liked the actor they chose to play Nick. He nailed him. I really like to see King try something that isn't his usual genre, as he did with Eyes of a Dragon. I think it was a success. My copy is in Four Past Midnight. Probably won't read the other s ...more
Barbara Cox
May 20, 2009 Barbara Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king
Have you ever approached a hill with limited sight distance? When I do I envision the Langoliers chewing away at the edge of the fabric of the world. I imagine them to look like the pacman boy and girl munching away and the sound like a cachophony of millions of circadas screaming in the middle of the day instead of nighttime.
It took me 2 afternoons to read this book and I still can't tell what I'm thinking about it.

When I completed the first chapter the story seemed to me strangely familiar after a few pages I realised that I had actually tried to read it again a few years ago but I couldn't finish it. So I decided that this time I would stick to it and finish it. And I just did!

In the beginning there was curiosity, lately the agony came and in the last two chapters I was struck by major disappointment! Why?Why to w
Jul 15, 2010 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks2010
While I mostly enjoyed Willem Dafoe's read of this audio book (he's a great narrator), I thought his female interpretations were not good. Especially Bethany, who sounded like an over the top Fran Drescher impersonation. That aside, I liked the story enough to overlook it, though I will knock off one star since the silly voices took me out of the story.
Sep 15, 2010 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and thought it had some very interesting ideas. It's not really horror like a lot of King's books and is really more science fiction. He has an interesting take on what would happen if you were involved with time travel - which isn't too pleasant at all if you happen to travel back in time! I would definitely recommend this book as a fun read. I listened to it which was even more fun as the guy reading it brought the characters to life. The book is suspenseful, but not s ...more
Conor McHugh
Dec 14, 2010 Conor McHugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, just as good as short stories can get. In fact its pretty much a novel. Over 200 pages, yes i think it just about counts as a novel.

Great inventive and suspenseful storyline, amazing characters. I couldnt stop thinking about this story. I even watched the mini series on youtube whilst reading it. Well not at the same time, but you get me, like i read 50 pages, then watched it up to that point.
One of my fave KING stories and looking forward to reading the other short stories in "four past
Louis Skipper
I'm going to carefully avoid any spoilers.

I saw the movie long ago and recently picked up the audio read by Willem Defoe who does an excellent job.

I'm not a reader of Stephen King, so I have no point of comparison. My only problem with the story was the "langoliers".

The result of the langoliers could have (and should have) been achieved with out these creatures.

Their appearance in the story was just silly.
May 19, 2012 Jordie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was pretty fantastic until the last sequence.

I guess overall the ending was expected to be lovely and sweet.

(view spoiler)

I hadn't heard of this story before, but it came with Secret Window, Secret Garden and therefore I just had to read this one as well.

I won't say what's happening, because the confusion that especially plays a very important role in the first part of the book is the best part. Believe me when I say it's confusing, but interesting nevertheless.

It was an enjoyable read, but I wasn't blown away by it. There are some creepy moments, but I t
Boring, derivative tripe. Entirely predictable, with a very weak cast, and an extremely disappointing ending. The best thing about this story is that it wasn't longer.
Sep 19, 2013 Jake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You remember that first time as an adult when you watched an old Hanna-Barbera cartoon that you loved as a kid and you almost choked to death from hoarking up some stomach acid because you just discovered that you spent like 12 years of your life being a total dumbfuck?

That's The Langoliers.

I loved The Langoliers when I was a kid. And even today, creepy airplane stories just do it for me. So, with fall happening, this seemed like a perfect time to revisit a story I've loved for 20 years, but hav
Aug 26, 2014 Marita_z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este foi o meu primeiro livro do Stephen King e posso dizer que não será o último!

Gostei muito desta história, passei o tempo todo a sentir-me como uma das personagens daquele avião, sempre a pensar o que raio estava atrás deles, e se se conseguiam safar.

-Janela Indiscreta-

Esta história já conhecia (mais ou menos), vi o filme há uns anos, e confesso que na altura não gostei por aí além, mas gostei muito da história. Adorei a forma como o King conseguiu construir a história e deixar-n
Will Kent
May 22, 2014 Will Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creatures that eat the past? Getting stuck in a stale present? Feeling that deepest fear like being stranded in the middle of an ocean of oceans? Afraid of flying? This book will help you overcome none of those, but it remains a fun read built around an awesome concept. Plus bad dialogue!
I langolieri: 4/5
Finestra segreta, giardino segreto: 3/5

Consiglio da amica: MAI leggere i langolieri prima di prendere l'aereo.
Per la prima volta.
Di notte.
Jan 05, 2015 Chrissieskleinewelt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Rezi: folgt
Sarah C
Nov 05, 2015 Sarah C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The theme is time, and does Stephen King ever make time a salient backdrop. I would advise against reading this if you have coronary heart disease and/or a type A personality. I grew up with this story, having seen the film probably a dozen times. In this, my first time reading, I still white-knuckled the pages despite full awareness of the outcome. King's hypothesis of time--what happens when the present becomes the past--is both fascinating and plausible within the realm of the langoliers.

Merci Pol
Aug 05, 2015 Merci Pol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best
With their existence, Langoliers outlined many of zigzag lines full of nothing, straight across my mind, that would under normal circumstances say some exotic words about this phenomenal Kings's creation.
Kostas Papadatos
Μισώ τα αεροπλάνα, αλήθεια τα μισώ πολύ. Προτιμώ να κλειστώ σε έναν υπόνομο και να τρώω κλαδιά και μούρα μέχρι τα βαθιά γεράματα παρά να επιβιβαστώ σε κάποιο από αυτά τα ιπτάμενα διαβολοαντικείμενα. Αδέλφια Ράιτ…σας ψάχνω. Αν ήταν στο χέρι μου, οι μετακινήσεις θα πραγματοποιούνταν ακόμα με γαϊδουράκια και θα έκανα τα πάντα να σαμποτάρω την εφεύρεση του τροχού.
Το βιβλίο λοιπόν ξύπνησε τους χειρότερους εφιάλτες μου, δεν φτάνει που εξαφανίστηκαν ως δια μαγείας οι περισσότεροι επιβάτες της πτήσης, δ
Dec 17, 2015 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kevin J.J. Carpenter
I have to say it, the TV Mini-Series of "The Langoliers" must honestly be one of the most faithful adaptions I've ever seen. The characters are all there, they're pretty much identical to their cousins from the book, the story follows the exact same beats, and even many of the lines remain unchanged. It truly is an example of a purist's adaption ... but that's not exactly a good thing.

For example, I believed the overly gimmicky, happy-go-lucky, freeze-frame ending from the TV Mini-Series was a c
Jun 02, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
so, i don't really know what to say about this book. stephen kings style of writing is definetely brilliant and the two storys were quite exciting - but i really missed those moments when i'm just screaming WHAT and totally freak out. i wanted to know how the story ends but the case that it wasn't realistic and kinda sci-fi just wasn't my thing. and in my opinion, you cannot call this 'horror'
Inês Gueifão
Aug 11, 2016 Inês Gueifão rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, adult-mystery
I figured it was about time I picked up a Stephen King book and I have to say I loved it (if we ignore the fact that this edition completely spoils both stories with the blurb on the back - wtf Portugal?). I don't think these 2 stories are his usual style because they didn't seem to fit the 'horror' genre at all... or maybe I'm not easily impressed? Either way, I now want to pick up one of his better known books.
Δεν φοβάμαι τα αεροπλάνα, αντιθέτως μου αρέσει πολύ να ταξιδεύω με αυτά. Σε αντίθεση με τον συγγραφέα που το έχει δηλώσει ότι τα τρέμει. Και σε αυτό το βιβλίο φαίνεται μάλλον γιατί τα φοβάται.Είναι ένα βιβλίο θρίλερ επιστημονικής φαντασίας, που αυτοί που φοβούνται ήδη τα αεροπλάνα θα δικαιωθούν. Αναφέρεται σε μια συγκεκριμένη πτήση την 29 που ταξιδεύει από το Λος Άντζελες για Βοστώνη και στην πορεία του συμβαίνουν απίστευτα πράγματα. Τα πιο απίστευτα όμως συμβαίνουν αφού προσγειωθούν, οι εναπομε ...more
kostas  vamvoukakis
καποιοι συγγραφεις το χουν...πολυ ομως...παιρνουν μια μικρη ιστορια την τραβανε απο τα μαλλια και σε κανουν να περνας καλα...πολυ καλα...
ο κινγκ ειναι ο μεγαλυτερος μαστορας στο να σε κανει να περνας καλα στα βιβλια του αν και μερικες φορες ειναι πολυλογας.
το συγκεκριμενο ειναι κλασικο κινγκ με ολη τη μαστορια της αψογης αφηγησης, της πολυ εξυπνης σκιαγραφησης χαρακτηρων αλλα και της απολυτα ελεγχομενης αγωνιας που σου προκαλει...μου αρεσε πολυ
  • Rage
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Twilight Eyes
  • The Twilight Zone: The Original Stories
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • Books of Blood: Volumes 1-6 (Books of Blood #1-6)
  • Japan Sinks: A Novel about Earthquakes
  • Narrativa completa Vol. I
  • Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories That Scared Even Me
  • Der Inquisitor
  • Bad Twin
  • The Best of Robert Bloch
  • Caravan of Dreams
More about Stephen King...