Start by marking “Queen, Empress, Concubine: Fifty Women Rulers from the Queen of Sheba to Catherine the Great” as Want to Read:

The number of women who have ruled as queens or empresses, or governed as presidents or prime ministers, remains but a small subset of the total of those who have attained ultimate political power. But this elite group of women, who - through dynastic succession, democratic election or other means - have reached the heights of political and ceremonial leadership, includes ...more
Published September 19th 2009 by Quercus (first published August 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Queen, Empress, Concubine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen, Empress, Concubine

Brittney
Jan 23, 2009 Brittney rated it liked it
This was a great book if you are looking for a bio to read on someone. It's coffee table size and each person gets 4 or 5 pages. It's a good jumping off point if you want to learn about some influential women in history. The short bios are very basic and sometimes a little biased, but it is very interesting. There are a few people I would really like to learn more about after reading this book.
Jo
Gold looks at fifty women who gained power and either ruled directly or controlled the men in charge. Some of these women I've read biographies of, others I've heard of but not read much about and a couple I'm not familiar with at all. This was a gorgeous visual book with lots of photographs and illustrations and just enough text to give you a taste of the women's lives without bogging you down with too much information.
Rachael Seow
Saya nggak sengaja menemukan buku ini di situs Yes24. Tadinya saya mau membeli sepatu. Ternyata, memang dasar bukan rezeki, sepatu tersebut sold out. Saya bingung mau beli apa. Pada hari tersebut, buku ini muncul di halaman utama. Karena saya sedang menonton serial The Borgias, saya memutuskan untuk membeli buku ini. Dua tokoh dalam serial yang berdasarkan kisah nyata pemerintahan Vatikan era Paus Alexander VI tersebut, yaitu Lucrezia Borgia dan Catharina Sforza dibahas dalam buku ini.
Saya juga
Dinah
Jul 26, 2011 Dinah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been working at this book for a very long time. I basically would read a story or two and then set it aside for a long time. It is a great Coffee Table book.
Each woman's story is about 4 pages long. A timeline of her life is included along with the story of her life. Each story is well researched and written.
There were many women that I had heard of, but did not know their entire story. There were some that I knew nothing about.
Many of the women were loved and hated in their lifetime. I
Rena Nero
Apr 29, 2011 Rena Nero rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book full of amazing stories of some of history's greatest and most influential women. I enjoyed reading up on some old favorites and learning the stories and names of those I hadn't heard of before.
Daisy
Apr 01, 2011 Daisy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Tomyris, the queen of Massagetae, her story is fascinating. The woman who defeated the famous king of kings Cyrus the great and even while he is using tricks and she did not

Boudica, the queen of iceni (the modern day Britan), was the first queen who challenged roman rule in britan and who almost united the British against Romans and her statue today is located next to themes river in London

Zenobia,the queen of the current day Syria, who dared to challenge the roman rule and even captured Egypt f
Julie
May 25, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction
This book takes a look at fifty of the most remarkable women rulers throughout history. From the dawn of civilization in Egypt to the most controversial women of the 20th century, I really enjoyed reading about familiar rulers and more obscure women who shaped world history. I was surprised to see a few notorious figures left out, like Anne Boleyn and Alexandra Romanov, but I suppose Gold had to limit her choices or this book could have easily been twice as long.
Mar 27, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative book about 50 influential women of the past and present--starting with Egyptian Queen, Hatshepsut, and ending with former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Benazir Bhutto. The mini-bios are surprisingly well fleshed out--in my opinion, at any rate--for the amount of space they're allotted (each one is approx. 4-6 pages long), and for the most part seemed to be mostly unbiased.

Nikki
Feb 22, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Very good. I like how women eventually didn't have to sleep their way to power or be born into it. For so long women have been rubbed out of history and belittled. Its good to see how capable women are, even along time ago.
Sara
Oct 13, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
It was good. I'd been meaning to read this for a while and it was a nice range of women but with books like this there's always individuals you wanted included who weren't. The stories for each of them was brief but for a quick read it wasn't bad.
Lucy
Jul 06, 2013 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A fabulous book depicting the lives of the strong, scandalous and powerful lives of fifty female rules through out history. It gave detailed stories about their lives.

I would recommend this to historical fiction lovers and women's history lovers too.
Jonathan
Apr 10, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Amazing, this book is a good read, should you be looking for a basic history on some really amazing people.
Steph
May 08, 2009 Steph rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history lovers
Shelves: memoir-biography
I really liked this being the history nerd that I am. It was interesting to see these women from a good light and now I am interested to learn more about them.
Liz DeMarco
Aug 20, 2011 Liz DeMarco rated it really liked it
excellent brief histories on these amazing 50 women in history.
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
BonnieL
BonnieL rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2010
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2011
Hanna
Hanna rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2011
Melissa Rae
Melissa Rae rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Sarita Simon
Sarita Simon rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2015
Tlaloc
Tlaloc rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
rachel
rachel rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2011
Jennifer Gray
Jennifer Gray rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Craig Thomson
Craig Thomson rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Suna
Suna rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
  • Cleopatra the Great: The Woman Behind the Legend
  • The Ring and the Crown: A History of Royal Weddings 1066-2011
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • The Book of the Courtesans: A Catalogue of Their Virtues
  • Ladies of the Field: Early Women Archaeologists and Their Search for Adventure
  • Secret Lives of the Tsars: Three Centuries of Autocracy, Debauchery, Betrayal, Murder, and Madness from Romanov Russia
  • Machiavelli: A Very Short Introduction
  • Margaret of York: The Diabolical Duchess
  • Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria
  • Medieval Folklore: A Guide to Myths, Legends, Tales, Beliefs, and Customs
  • Little Mother of Russia: A Biography of the Empress Marie Feodorovna (1847-1928)
  • Witches, a tale of Scandal, Sorcery and Seduction