Start by marking “The Worst of Times: Illegal Abortion : Survivors, Practitioners, Coroners, Cops and Children of Women Who Died Talk About Its Horrors” as Want to Read:

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Laura: "My whole body was twitching. I remember thinking, At nineteen, this linoleum is the last thing I'm ever going to see, because I'm dying." Marilyn: "Let me tell you about my pretty, wonderful, talented mother. She died from an illegal abortion when she was thirty-four and I was six." Bruce: "I really don't remember much about the first illegal abortion I did, becaus ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Worst of Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst of Times

Wealhtheow
A powerful collection of interviews of people who dealt with abortion while it was illegal in the US, from doctors who remember wards full of septic cases dying every day, to people who provided abortions to desperate women, to the police who prosecuted them. In addition, there's a short but comprehensive overview of the history of abortion in the US and basic morbidity and mortality statistics associated with abortion. I felt that Miller took an even-handed, un-biased approach to her interviews ...more
Kess
This book discusses the experience of different stakeholders in the abortion discussion prior to the passing of Roe v. Wade. I strongly recommend this book to people who are actively considering the abortion issue. It provides a personal and powerful account of the pain illegal abortions can bring and the universal relief sought by women seeking abortion.
Hannah
Great oral history of the pre-Roe days that illustrates what happens when abortion is illegal. Spoiler alert: women die (or get sick or shamed). Banning abortion doesn't stop abortion - it drives abortion underground, and illegal abortions tend to be dangerous and unsafe. (And thus is the label "pro-life" horrifically ironic. If you hear anyone talk about making abortion illegal or inaccessible, don't be civil with them.)

here's a quote from a doctor remembering a patient who died in 1948/49:

"In
Diane
This is an excellent book about the realities of illegal abortion. It includes many of the stories which society as a whole would just like to forget, and presents real people talking about their dilemma and their choices, as well as the ramifications of those choices. Abortion is not a cut and dry issue. This makes that statement a real with its portrayals of real people, real situations, real consequences.
Katie_marie
Patricia Miller makes her case solidly in this book. Through a series of interviews with women who had abortions before it became legal, with underground 'abortionists' and investigators she creates a scary image of what would happen if women lost the right to control their reproduction. The stories of the women are heartbreaking; each one of them desperate and risking their lives, some of them dying, by trusting anyone who would help them. One theme that was almost entirely missing from the acc ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
The author is a Pittsburgh resident, and so much but not all of this book presents stories of illegal abortion from the Western Pennsylvania area. The author consulted various officers of the law, people who performed abortions, and women who sought illegal abortions (and their survivors), so I would say that it is probably a fairly balanced portrayal. (This came out of the free books pile.)
B
363.46 Explicit accounts of abortions by desperate women before abortions became legal. This kind of information is generally not out there so it's eye-opening.
Kara
Mar 18, 2012 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I'm not saying this book is going to change anyone's mind, because nothing seems to change people's minds on the issue of abortion, but it's an important book anyway.
Stacy
I wish every member of the house, senate, and supreme court had read this book ... Haunting and immediate, even now, a decade after it was written.
Gillian
A harrowing read and necessary read. Few people understand the horrible reality of a country where women were denied safe, legal abortions.
Angela
A phenominal book that chronicles viewpoints of a variety of people who where impacted by the difficult era before abortion was legalized.
Fay
Very well researched but too repetitive.
T. Loewen
T. Loewen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Court
Court marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Loraine Philliban
Loraine Philliban marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Sliveredepitome
Sliveredepitome marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Melanie Jaskolka
Melanie Jaskolka marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Dominique Bass
Dominique Bass marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Jade Lopez
Jade Lopez marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Aminath Rixma
Aminath Rixma marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Dianne
Dianne marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
amy chikosky
amy chikosky marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Chelsea Lynn
Chelsea Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Paz Love
Paz Love marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Asia
Asia marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014