The Worst of Times: Illegal Abortion : Survivors, Practitioners, Coroners, Cops and Children of Women Who Died Talk About Its Horrors

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Laura: "My whole body was twitching. I remember thinking, At nineteen, this linoleum is the last thing I'm ever going to see, because I'm dying." Marilyn: "Let me tell you about my pretty, wonderful, talented mother. She died from an illegal abortion when she was thirty-four and I was six." Bruce: "I really don't remember much about the first illegal abortion I did, becaus...more
Published January 1st 1993 by HarperCollins Publishers

Wealhtheow
A powerful collection of interviews of people who dealt with abortion while it was illegal in the US, from doctors who remember wards full of septic cases dying every day, to people who provided abortions to desperate women, to the police who prosecuted them. In addition, there's a short but comprehensive overview of the history of abortion in the US and basic morbidity and mortality statistics associated with abortion. I felt that Miller took an even-handed, un-biased approach to her interviews...more
Kess
This book discusses the experience of different stakeholders in the abortion discussion prior to the passing of Roe v. Wade. I strongly recommend this book to people who are actively considering the abortion issue. It provides a personal and powerful account of the pain illegal abortions can bring and the universal relief sought by women seeking abortion.
Hannah
Great oral history of the pre-Roe days that illustrates what happens when abortion is illegal. Spoiler alert: women die (or get sick or shamed). Banning abortion doesn't stop abortion - it drives abortion underground, and illegal abortions tend to be dangerous and unsafe. (And thus is the label "pro-life" horrifically ironic. If you hear anyone talk about making abortion illegal or inaccessible, don't be civil with them.)

here's a quote from a doctor remembering a patient who died in 1948/49:

"In...more
Katie_marie
Patricia Miller makes her case solidly in this book. Through a series of interviews with women who had abortions before it became legal, with underground 'abortionists' and investigators she creates a scary image of what would happen if women lost the right to control their reproduction. The stories of the women are heartbreaking; each one of them desperate and risking their lives, some of them dying, by trusting anyone who would help them. One theme that was almost entirely missing from the acc...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
The author is a Pittsburgh resident, and so much but not all of this book presents stories of illegal abortion from the Western Pennsylvania area. The author consulted various officers of the law, people who performed abortions, and women who sought illegal abortions (and their survivors), so I would say that it is probably a fairly balanced portrayal. (This came out of the free books pile.)
B
363.46 Explicit accounts of abortions by desperate women before abortions became legal. This kind of information is generally not out there so it's eye-opening.
Kara
Mar 18, 2012 Kara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I'm not saying this book is going to change anyone's mind, because nothing seems to change people's minds on the issue of abortion, but it's an important book anyway.
Stacy
I wish every member of the house, senate, and supreme court had read this book ... Haunting and immediate, even now, a decade after it was written.
Angela
A phenominal book that chronicles viewpoints of a variety of people who where impacted by the difficult era before abortion was legalized.
Fay
Very well researched but too repetitive.
Christen
Christen is currently reading it
Feb 12, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
maryhineman
maryhineman marked it as to-read
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Cdubbzzz
Cdubbzzz marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Deirdre
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Mely
Mely added it
Aug 26, 2013
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013
Lorna Hadley
Lorna Hadley marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Teena Krueger
Teena Krueger marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013