Start by marking “Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)” as Want to Read:
Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)

Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del #4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,882 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Accused of murdering a man the Southern tribes believe to be their messiah, but who is actually the slayer of Del's family, Tiger and Del flee across the deadly Punja desert, hunted by religious zealots and sword-dancer assassins. But evading death by assassins' blades is only one of the challenges they face. For Tiger's sword, Samiel, has been possessed by the spirit of t ...more
Published July 3rd 1991 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Sword-Breaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword-Breaker

The Silver Branch by Patricia Kennealy-MorrisonShadow Magic by Patricia C. WredeSong of Sorcery by Elizabeth Ann ScarboroughThe Seven Towers by Patricia C. WredeThe Bohemian Murders by Dianne Day
Where Are They Now?
20th out of 89 books — 5 voters
Green Rider by Kristen BritainThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Scorpio Races by Maggie StiefvaterThe Girl Who Remembered Horses by Linda  BensonThe Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Fantasy Books Featuring Horses
66th out of 128 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Cathy
Mar 15, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned-paper
I've had fun re-reading Tiger and Del's journeys for a lot of reasons. One thing that really strikes me is how their romantic relationship is handled. It's refreshing to read a series that isn't about love triangles or constant awkward and forced interruptions and predicaments designed to keep the main couple apart for as many books as possible and supposedly keep the interest in the romance for the readers going when all it really does is annoy me. This series does what I've been wishing some u ...more
Kara
Nov 13, 2014 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Tiger spends most of the book complaining about how his old knees are hurting, but he still manages to do some ass kicking when absolutely needed – although he does his best to tell every punk kid he comes across that he would LOVE to fight them to the death – just not right now, kay? Daddy’s tired.

There are epic adventures, quests, and prophecies – but all hilariously counter pointed by Tiger’s grumbling about how much he hates all that epic stuff.
Arminion
Aug 30, 2014 Arminion rated it liked it
I'm sorry miss Roberson, but unlike your previous books, I have to give this one 3 stars. If I have to describe this book by one word it would be: filler. Nothing really happens in this one, at least nothing we haven't seen before.
While in the first three books Tiger and Del at least had some mission or quest to accomplish, this time around, they are just aimlessly wandering through the desert, fighting and avoiding various foes. This whole premise made the book a little too similar to the first
Zann
Mar 31, 2015 Zann rated it it was amazing
A bit slow to start, this 4th book wound up being what could've been a great ending for the series! Many familiar characters and resolved events from all the previous books. Lots of magic and sword-play. There are only a few remaining questions. Who are Tiger's people? Where did they come from? Was Tiger abandoned as a baby or were his parents killed? Were they forced to give him up or was it voluntary?

Here's a kind of funny bit…at one point in this book, Tiger tells a story of events from his
Damian
Jun 08, 2014 Damian rated it really liked it
Just as a note, this is one of the first series I've read as a child, and they hold a special place in my heart, so I can't objectively rate them. I've reread the series as an adult and still enjoy them, however.
Magister
Mar 20, 2014 Magister marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shymsal
Dec 29, 2014 Shymsal rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Was good enough, didn't feel compelled to follow the series any further though.
Paul Falcon
Jul 16, 2015 Paul Falcon rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the series can't wait to read the latest one.
Cassie White
Jun 05, 2014 Cassie White rated it it was amazing
Originally read in 1993.

Unfortunately there is no way I can rate the first four novels of the Tiger and Del saga individually. They are too deeply steeped in memory and woven together in my mind for me to separate and break them down objectively even after rereading them for the first time in about a decade. I simply must give them five stars. I think the Sandtiger and Delilah deserve at least that much.
Jeanne
Apr 28, 2011 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Still some unanswered questions and my interest remains to continue on the adventures of Tiger and Del. I laugh outloud now all the time during their conversations with each other. I can't wait for the story to continue. I am enjoying this series. Both characters are fantastic.
Sasha
Apr 17, 2012 Sasha rated it liked it
Not the best of the series, but still very engaging. I saw a gaping hole in the logic of the plot, but I suppose it is internally justifiable. Besides, yay adventures. There are aspects I wished got more attention, like the resolution of the entire quest they had been on.
Richard Houchin
Jun 08, 2008 Richard Houchin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Sword-Dancer series never impressed me as much as the Chronicles of the Cheysuli. It just doesn't seem to have the same depth or social relevance. But the Sword-Dancer books are solid fantasy with talking, uppity swords, so it's all good!
Robyn S.
May 18, 2011 Robyn S. rated it it was amazing
Another great Tiger and Del adventure. This book hooked me in instantly and I couldn't let go until I hit the end. Jennifer Roberson tells an amazing story about magic, friendship, revenge, and of course: Sword dancing.
Welwyn Katz
Oct 24, 2010 Welwyn Katz rated it really liked it
I have the same feelings about all the Tiger and Del books and so I will use the same review for them all:
Please look for my review of Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del #1) to see why I liked these books so much.
Jean
Feb 15, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When I first started this 4 part series, I wondered if I would like it. A female author writing in the 1st person of the main male character. The story was well done and I enjoyed it very much.
Kristina Jo
Jan 16, 2009 Kristina Jo rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I seem to have forgotten to add this book when I finished it. I'm sure I liked it, but I just don't know how much I liked it. Nor am I actually sure when I finished it. Stupid school.
Theresa
Apr 22, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del, #4)
Roberson, Jennifer
this is a great series Del looks into himself to find the strength to over come his opponents
Samuel
Mar 20, 2008 Samuel rated it liked it
A better read then the previous book. More depth into Tiger and a good conflict between himself and the sorcerer throughout most of the book...
Christine
Nov 29, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: have-read
I wasn't as fasinated with this series as I was with the Shapechanger series. Its okay, but not quite my style.
Cimuchowski
Oct 16, 2007 Cimuchowski rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
If this is were the guy with the throwing axes is introduced this is where I sort of got bored with the series.
h
Sep 30, 2013 h rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reread, sff, 2013
a fitting end to the first quartet of books, and a whole lot of fun.
Apr 17, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Sword-Breaker (Tiger and Del) by Jennifer Roberson (1991)
Alex
Apr 27, 2010 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I dare you not to love these characters. Awesome story
Nicole
Nov 04, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it
Love the characters, hated the ending.
Jody Mena
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
The greatness continues.
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Ivar
Ivar rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
MaryJo
MaryJo rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Beckie
Beckie rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
  • Sword and Sorceress X
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • Oathbreakers (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #2)
  • The Legend of Nightfall (Nightfall, #1)
  • The White Dragon (Chronicles of Sirkara, #2)
  • The River Wall (Gandalara Cycle, #7)
  • Exile's Children (Exiles, #1)
  • Revenant (Indigo, #7)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Intrigues (The Blending Enthroned, #1)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles ...more
More about Jennifer Roberson...

Tiger and Del (7 books)
  • Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
  • Sword-Singer (Tiger and Del, #2)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Sword-Born (Tiger and Del, #5)
  • Sword-Sworn (Tiger & Del, #6)
  • Sword-Bound (Tiger & Del, #7)

“I thought briefly about rising, then considered the state of head and belly and decided staying close to the ground in an attitude of prayer, regardless of true intention, was a posture worth practicing.” 0 likes
“Del, muttering as she struggled to untangle thongs, followed me out of doors. “I am not carrying your foul-tasting aqivi.” “I have the aqivi. You have the water.” She glared up at me as I mounted the stud. “Equitable arrangement. I have more botas than you.” “Extra water,” I agreed. “I thought at some point in time you might want to wash your face.” I swung the stud as she mounted, grinning to myself as she rubbed surreptitiously at her face. She is not a woman for vanity, though the gods have blessed her threefold, but I’ve never yet known a woman not to fall for the implication. We all have our petty revenge.” 0 likes