Start by marking “A Tale of Two Cities” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

'The Marquis lay there, like stone, with a knife pushed into his heart. On his chest lay a piece of paper, with the words: Drive him fast to the grave. This is from JACQUES.'

The French Revolution brings terror and death to many people. But even in these troubled times people can still love and be kind. They can be generous and true-hearted . . . and brave.
--oupcanada.com
Paperback, Oxford Bookworms Library, 88 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Oxford University Press (first published August 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Two Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale of Two Cities

ana.
Mar 10, 2017 ana. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
4.5
Martina Gjomemo
Mar 10, 2017 Martina Gjomemo rated it it was amazing
I will definetly read the comlete book...
Sydney remind me of how Will Herondale compare himself to him. However, I felt very sorry for Sydney, because he loves Lucie but he thinks that he is not worthy of her, and to the end he was so brave!
رؤى سلطان
Apr 27, 2016 رؤى سلطان rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
رغم إنها مختصرة كثيرا, إلا أن الحبكة عجبتني, ومتحمسة أقرأها كاملة بالعربي.
Диана
Mar 24, 2017 Диана rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorties
I read this book because of a 'go on a blind date with a book' thing organised at uni. It is a simplified-language, shortened version of Dickens' novel. It was an hour well spent, especially since I hadn't read the novel and wasn't acquainted with its content. Even in this simplified version, the story is good, nearly brought a tear to my eye.
Devon
Mar 10, 2017 Devon rated it it was ok
I appreciate Dickens. I really do. I believe that if Dickens had never written books like these, the English language would be much worse off. Yet I can't say that I liked this book, or that I even liked the way Dickens wrote this book. Laboring through Dickens's beautiful sentences, packed full of clauses and appositives and kitchen sinks, was much more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. Granted, I did read this over a weekend, and yes, failing a quiz on this book may have had something t ...more
Margret Steady
Dec 10, 2015 Margret Steady rated it it was amazing
What a great -also pathetic- history of France. I didn't know the details about French Revolution, now I'm a bit learning but still I have the curiousity about it. I'm willing to read this in its long-form novel.

I bought this book because it was necessary to read as it'll bring questions on English exam about the book. At first pages I found the plot so complex but hey 'how could you dare to shorten the story while it was a great and historical and full of details -about 300 pages originally- a
Kyosuke Torihara
1. OXFORD & STAGE 4
2. 90min.
3. French, Revolution, brings, death, people, kind, love
4. a)The older brother's voice was cold and hard; he seemed to think the boy was less important than a horse or a dog.
b) I think this man's way of thinking about life is wrong. Lives should be equal whether rich man or not.
5. This is the first time for me to read classic book. In old days, the way of thinking was really cruel. And people, who lived that era, were killed easily. People said "you have to die!"
Mohammad Tahrani
Mar 10, 2017 Mohammad Tahrani rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
An amazing novel actually .

The part that discusses how people are being sent to the Guillotine all over France in the name of freedom and revolution, and how judges didn't dare to make the right decision just because they feared the anger of people , shows how easily movements are turned to something that might be more cruel than the whole system they moved against
Rob
Apr 19, 2013 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Serra Erke
May 27, 2016 Serra Erke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know how life was before and after the French Revolution in France and what British people thought about it this is the book to read. You can find love, excitement, politics , history in it. I definietly recommend it.
Navid As pik
Mar 28, 2014 Navid As pik is currently reading it
that very good
M
Jan 09, 2016 M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
the last page was one of the .....

I'm shocked.

Lucija The Reader
I had to read this book for school, and honestly I expected a lot more. But still, this book was interesting and entertaining. It was really good.
Anna
Nov 29, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Abridged version of A Tale of Two Cities. I liked it. I will probably read the full version one day but for now, I'm not interested in reading it.
Sierra
Dec 22, 2016 Sierra rated it really liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book, but have a great desire to reread it
Unna
Dec 02, 2012 Unna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little difficult to read
Britteny Dunn
Britteny Dunn rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
wenra
wenra rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Mohsin
Mohsin rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2015
Sidra
Sidra rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Noor Diyaa
Noor Diyaa rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
يوسف
يوسف rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Merve Yörüklü
Merve Yörüklü rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Mateusz
Mateusz rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
MicheleC
MicheleC rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Francis
Francis rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Mohamed
Mohamed rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Musepini Apriliani Panjaitan
Musepini Apriliani Panjaitan rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ralph Mowat is a published adapter and an author of children's books
More about Ralph Mowat...