Start by marking “Mars, Volume 03 (Mars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mars, Volume 03 (Mars, #3)

Mars, Volume 03 (Mars #3)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  2,741 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Although Kira and Rei are opposites in every way, their bond just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Rei finally trusts Kira enough to take her to the racetrack to watch him ride his beloved motorcycle. Just when Kira and Rei's romance is getting hot and heavy, Rei is called away to ride in the race of his life, the Suzuka 8-endurance. Kira would give anything to be ther ...more
Published August 20th 2002 by Tokyopop

To ask other readers questions about Mars, Volume 03, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mars, Volume 03

Vicky
Rei is the type of guy that Kira couldn't stand; flirty, reckless, and a biker. When a chance encounter leads to Rei saving Kira from a teacher with bad intentions, neither of them know the extent to which the other will impact them.

On the outside, MARS is a typical coming-of-age story centered on the relationship between good girl and a bad boy. But underneath the romance lie stories of suicide, rape and murder; the idea that everyone has a secret to hide, even those who seem most innocent. Wh
Lynn

Today's post is on MARS volume 3 by Fuyumi Soryo. It is the third in a fifteen volume series and was published by Tokyopop. The cover has Rei on it being shy. The intended reader is young adults but with all the drama adults can have fun with this series too. There is some mild language, no sex, and no violence in this volume. The story is told from Kira's perspective with some thoughts of some of the other character's for plot and character development. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of
Michelle. D.
OK, this is for the overall sereis which I finished on January 8, 2011.

Masao is just a phsyco! He is crazy man, I say crazy. WIth all those stuff and the stuff he says and with his mind tricks and anger problems. He's a m******. Though he says that he isn't. He is though. Remember at the end?! He fully is and I don't care what people think. He fully is one.

OMG! It is so horrible what happened to her! D:

The first thing I wanna point out is that Kira cries a lot. She cries when she is happy. She c
VampireAngelSadist
This has got to be one of my favorite manga series ever. Not only do I love the drawing and characters, but the whole time I've read this series, I felt a constant wave of anticipation. Like I excepted something to happen.
In this volume, Rei Kashino is going in an 8 hour race. His partner just broke her finger and isn't able to continue after her first two hours. Rei is left to continue the next six hours alone.
I loved this volume because I wasn't sure of anything. I didn't know if he would cr
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good volume. Rei's friends cheer him on as he races while Kira works on the painting she promised Rei. And she's told more about Rei's twin brother.
Trebro
Date read is approximate.

This is an excellent shojo manga about a boy with a bad past that's got "bad boy" and "tragic life" mixed in about equal doses. He falls for an innocent girl, who sees something in him that no one else does. What will become of Rei and Kira?

This does have the usual angst of a shojo, but the writing and the complexity of the characters takes it a notch above the rest. I'd recommend this series to anyone, especially those who aren't big on Manga, as an example of the genr
Leila Anani
Volume 3 in the continuing saga. Rei races in the super 8 endurance whilst Kira paints his portrait as Mars God of War. The connection between our two lovers deepen and Rei finds he needs Kira's voice to spur him on to race.

The relationship seems to have moved a little bit fast considering the last volume, but even so an engaging read with plenty of melodrama as we learn more of Rei's twin and his suicide. Same level of artwork, very cute with impressive detail on the bikes and race scenes.
Spring Holbrook
After volume 2, I was hesitant to keep re-reading this series. Fortunately volume 3 drops most of the melodrama and focuses on some more background for Rei, and the big endurance race he participates in.

I really liked the back and forth between his race, Kira's painting at home, and the little snippets of conversation they'd had prior to those events. This is easily the best volume of the manga so far.
Nicoleta
Quite interesting I might say about it. But now I regret that I have seen the serial before reading. The relationship between Kira and Rei gets stronger now and I really like it but I'm sad that Rei was disqulified from the race ( in the serial he was in the 10th place even if he was the first one to finish the race ). And Kira made Rei's portrait so well that that girl could recognize him so easy . . .
Nicole
This is a great series - the perfect combination of a rich story AND great art (and, of course, a love story thrown into the mix). This volume finds the relationship between Kira and Rei developing, with Kira getting to know more about Rei's lifestyle and racing ambitions, and Rei getting to understand more about Kira's motivations as an artist...
Delicious Strawberry
Kira thinks its cool to have a hot boyfriend like Rei... he's more than just hot, he's sizzlin'! It almost seems like a dream come true for the shy little artist, and for some of the jealous girls at school, it is - Rei's just so hot the ladies fight over him! Not Kira's fault of course, but the mean girls take it out on her anyway.
Sarah Maddaford
This book is a lot faster paced than the first two with much of it focused on Rei's motorcycle race. I still love the interaction of the characters and am eager to see more of the series. There is a bit of language, but no violence in this one. The most sexual the book gets is kisses between Rei and Kira.
Cember
I really enjoyed this series when I read it as a teen. The rebellious stage was what many of my siblings went through and there is plenty of it in this book. The troubles the two characters the two main characters go threw are so realistic and the art is a wonderful style. I really enjoyed this!
Starbubbles
"A bad boy can change a good girl forever."
I felt it was more like the other way around. She did gain courage as her relationship grew with Rei and she got more comfortable with interacting with people. But, I felt that Rei was the one in this series that grew and changed more
Caroline
Very much like a soap opera at times, but it's actually a good kind of drama rather than the over-the-top angst that one might expect. It's a lot more complex than most of the shojo manga I've read, which made it a very interesting read.
Mazohyst
An extremely emotional volume and it's only the third volume in. I loved it. It seems almost impossible that there could be any more drama to this series. I hope it will keep on getting better with each volume.
Kristine Pratt
I never knew a motorcycle race in a book could hold so much tension or excitement. This series blazes with passion...I love it so far.
Nikki Kelly
A gorgeous love story with adult themes such as rape and suicide. The feathery art leaves something to be desired.
Patricia
**read them all as they became available. Check out the first volume for my review and description.
Angelic Zaizai
Bacaaann ke-146 bulan 2012... horeeee target terpenuhi (biar diakalin pake komik juga hahahaha)
Brianna
Dayana Gonzalez
Love the cover art in this one.
Jenn
Mars, Book 3 by Fuyumi Soryo (2002)
Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
2.5 stars.
Kris
s'okay...
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 2
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 2 (Paradise Kiss, #2)
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 5 (Marmalade Boy, #5)
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 2
  • Peach Girl, Vol. 2 (Peach Girl, #2)
Fuyumi Soryo (惣領 冬実 Sōryō Fuyumi?, born January 6, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist from Beppu, Oita, Japan. She is a graduate of the Oita prefectural Geijutsu Midorigaoka High School.

She was born into the home of a master of the Kanze school of Noh. In her childhood she liked to draw pictures of horses and things but had no special interest in manga. While enrolled in fashion college, she happene
More about Fuyumi Soryo...

Mars (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Mars, Volume 01 (Mars, #1)
  • Mars, Volume 02 (Mars, #2)
  • Mars, Volume 04 (Mars, #4)
  • Mars, Volume 05 (Mars, #5)
  • Mars, Volume 06 (Mars, #6)
  • Mars, Volume 07 (Mars, #7)
  • Mars, Volume 08 (Mars, #8)
  • Mars, Volume 09 (Mars, #9)
  • Mars, Volume 10 (Mars, #10)
  • Mars, Volume 11 (Mars, #11)
Mars, Volume 01 (Mars, #1) Mars, Volume 02 (Mars, #2) Mars, Volume 04 (Mars, #4) Mars, Volume 07 (Mars, #7) Mars, Volume 09 (Mars, #9)

“From MARS Volume 3 by Fuyumi Soryo:
Kira: “Why do you go through all that just to race? I guess asking that is the same thing as asking why I draw….probably because I’m alive….that’s all there is to it. I sense colors in you. They’re strong and beautiful….and sad. I wondered what your colors were for a long time. They’re the colors of the sunset…the blazing shades of a sunset that burn just before the darkness sets in. You said it was nothing, but there’s no one as alive as you.”
8 likes
“Kira: “Why did Sei choose death? Was it simply to end his pain? Or…No matter what shape he was in or how crazy it was…maybe he wanted to live on forever in Rei…” 5 likes