Start by marking “Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies [With CDROM and Infotrac]” as Want to Read:
Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies [With CDROM and Infotrac]

Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies [With CDROM and Infotrac]

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
NUTRITION: CONCEPTS AND CONTROVERIES, TENTH EDITION focuses on nutrition principles and their application while offering outstanding coverage of the biological foundations of nutrition without assuming previous knowledge of them. With its new design, contemporary coverage, and engaging writing style, it remains the leading Nutrition text for the non-majors or mixed majors/ ...more
Paperback, 10th Edition
Published May 13th 2005 by Thomson Brooks/Cole (first published January 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Nutrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nutrition

Pooja The Mango
Jun 01, 2015 Pooja The Mango rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought the health and nutrition industry could sink no lower, I had the wondrous delight of encountering this wretched book in my intro to nutrition class.Though it may be a very readable textbook, that does not excuse all the factual blunders that continually plague some of the pages. I had to wear sunglasses each time I read this because the level of ignorance was just blinding.

The text makes outrageous statements such as animal protein is clearly the most superior incarnation of
Jon
Nov 30, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those wishing to learn about nutrition.
Shelves: food, health
This book was interesting to read. Lots of good advice. Some parts I disagreed with though. It seems nutrition is the never ending debate.
Kaisa Mettille
Jan 18, 2016 Kaisa Mettille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good refrence
Steve Dorrington
Sep 21, 2012 Steve Dorrington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition
Highly recommended book for anyone thinking about or studying nutrition. It isn't just the content, it is the ideas and background reading it provides. As with all nutrition books, by the time you start reading it, it will be out of date. Read it for what it is, a really well thought out book on nutrition. I actually bought copies for friends who were also interested in nutrition. I must admit that I only bought them second hand as a copy of a new one is extortionately priced.
Carolyn
Apr 09, 2013 Carolyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Provides a large volume critical information, but scattered 'infobites' detract from the raw, necessary information to be memorized. Many a sciences textbook is plagued by the introduction of extraneous information, so as to 'excite' and 'relate to' the reader. Unfortunately, this does nothing but fatigue and overwhelm the eyes. Text was also ridiculously overpriced for what is received in the package.
Freya
Nov 13, 2013 Freya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-read
This was the pre-nursing prerequisite class for getting into nursing school, i.e. science-based nutrition. It was a good foundation class text. But this book doesn't take into account the science of what happens to different foods once inside the body and the combining aspects in the digestive process. So it's science-based, just outside of the body.
Stephanie
Jul 08, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a textbook for one of my classes and has been the only textbook I have actually entirely read. I loved all the information in it, and I kept the book for my home library for reference. It is a great book if you are looking for detailed information on vitamins, nutrients, and how they work in the body.
Amy
Sep 28, 2008 Amy added it
Shelves: non-fic
Let's hope this becomes the first class I actually finish since my official college career. I have started many since then and finished none.

Finish Ch. 10. Then, 12-15.

Well, finished the class, but not the book. This was so last year. Very readable for a textbook.
Susan
Jun 03, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book regarding nutrition and the human body and its processes. A lot of information on healthy food options and what nutritional value foods hold.
Christine Miller

Read it for a class. Pretty basic, easy reading. Personally I would have preferred something with a little more depth.
Gaylynne Coates
I'm reading this for a nutrition class I'm taking, but really enjoying learning more about nutrition and health
Carolyn
Apr 07, 2009 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good first year textbook. Interesting, easy to read and explains things well. Only covers the basics.
Hassanat
Feb 12, 2012 Hassanat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this book for one of my classes and I'm loving it :)
Linda Le
Oct 12, 2010 Linda Le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
easy to read book for intro to nutrition. i LOVED it
Nichole Hunziker
Sep 29, 2012 Nichole Hunziker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book! It boring with a capital yaaaaaawn!
Ayomide Gold
Ayomide Gold rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Lorenzo Gatto
Lorenzo Gatto marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jawalkoti Chaitra
Jawalkoti Chaitra marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Michelle Dewey
Michelle Dewey rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Amanda Guiliano
Amanda Guiliano marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Gabriel Joseph
Gabriel Joseph marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Kim Kiernan
Kim Kiernan rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2016
Thunchanok Jewwuttipong
Thunchanok Jewwuttipong marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
  • Chemistry: An Introduction to General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry
  • The Basic Practice of Statistics
  • A Preface to Morals
  • America: A Concise History, Volume 2: Since 1865
  • The Practice of Public Relations
  • Children of Kali: Through India in Search of Bandits, the Thug Cult, and the British Raj
  • American History: A Survey (w/Primary Source Investigator/Powerweb)
  • Readers Digest North American Wildlife
  • Complete Financial Guide For Young Couples
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German
  • Proslogium/Monologium/Cur Deus Homo/In Behalf of the Fool
  • The Shangri-La Diet: The No Hunger Eat Anything Weight-Loss Plan
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • The Whiskey Rebellion: Frontier Epilogue to the American Revolution
  • Mastering Public Speaking
  • Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine
  • On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays
  • From Resistance to Revolution: Colonial Radicals and the Development of American Opposition to Britain 1765-76
AKA Frances Sienkiewicz Sizer
AKA Frances Sizer Webb (or Frances Sizer-Webb)
More about Frances Sizer...