Start by marking “Dragon's Halloween” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Halloween

Dragon's Halloween (The Dragon Tales)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Gentle blue Dragon's spooky, silly Halloween tale, by Dav Pilkey, the award-winning author/illustrator of the Captain Underpants series is perfect for beginning readers.

Dragon loves spooky Halloweens! But when he buys six small pumpkins that his friends tell him will never be scary, Dragon must come up with creative ways to make this Halloween just perfect. Dragon's antics
Published September 1st 2003 by Orchard Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Halloween

The Paperboy by Dav PilkeyA Friend For Dragon by Dav PilkeyDragon Gets By by Dav PilkeyDragon's Fat Cat by Dav PilkeyDragon's Halloween by Dav Pilkey
Best of Dav Pilkey
5th out of 64 books — 1 voter
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
285th out of 341 books — 352 voters

More lists with this book...

*Miss Fame*
Wow the other animals in this book are really mean!

The illustrations are cute. I definitely remember this book being a lot better than it actually is. It's cute, and dragon is kind of a ditz, so I guess he's supposed to be charming. It's not horrible but it's not great. It's just simply in the middle
Enjoyed reading this book to my K and 1st grade library students. It has a "Frog and Toad" or "George and Martha" kind of feel, and those are favorites of the kids. Cute illustrations, simple yet funny humor--this book is a Halloween winner!
Amanda Allen
The Boy LOVED this book. And I found it entertaining as well. He took the bed and I bought the other three. Win, win, win.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
What a great little series from Dav Pilkey. The chapters are short so it's a good introduction to 'chapter books'. The stories are sweet and understandable and help to build children's confidence as they can pretty quickly conquer the stories. I think they are particularly good for children who are reading above grade level.

In the Halloween book there are 3 short stories:
1. Six Small Pumpkins
2. The Costume Party
3. The Deep Dark Woods

Written at the 3rd Grade level, these books appeal to kids' fun
Oct 15, 2008 ABC rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarteners
Shelves: younger-kids
I didn't think this was a great as Dragon's first book ("A Friend for Dragon") but it was still cute.

It is divided into very short chapters. First, Dragon makes a scary monster out of some pumpkins. Next, he goes to a costume party, a pumpkin lands on his head, and he scares the others so much that a hippo sits on a mouse. (The mouse is squashed but apparently fine.) Last, Dragon is walking alone in the woods and hears a scary growling sound--which of course is just his stomach.
In the first short section, Dragon learns that six small pumpkins can be turned into a scary pumpkin man. The costume party is the next section. Dragon wears three costumes as once, but that doesn't work as planned. In the last section Dragon hears a noise which ends up being his stomach. He returns home to make a pumpkin feast.
Dragon learns to deal with things that don't turn out as anticipated in these short and easy to read tales.
Aug 17, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We have really enjoyed The Dragon Tales series of books by Dav Pilkey. They are funny and silly and entertaining and encourage young readers to expand to beginning chapter books. This is a fun book with a Halloween theme. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Oct 29, 2011 Malbadeen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Halloween lovers and scaredy cats
A great book for kids (or adults) that sense Halloween is spooky but really aren't ready for the hard core stuff yet. Dragon scares himself with his own pumpkin carving, A pumpkin splats on his head at a party and a mouse gets squished under a hippo's butt, and his own stomach growls scare the bejesus out of him until he realizes what it is.
oh dragon! you silly, silly dragon! I love you.
PB 8: Dav Pilkey is one of my favorite authors and this book did not disappoint. It's a very easy chapter book and it's also relate able to children. I absolutely love the illustrations which make the book amazing and the stories are very cute. Dragon always ends up winning in the end, even if the journey is tougher than he wants it to be.
Love this book so much! Very funny early reader chapter book. LOVE the beginning of chapter three: "The moon was full, the sky was dark, and the stomach was empty." Not only makes sense in the context of the previous chapter, but reminds me of Snoopy's dark and stormy night.
I love the earlier books by Dav Pilkey, especially the Dragon books. This book has 3 short chapters which can be used individually as a read aloud or together for an older group. If you enjoy silliness and cute pictures choose this book near Halloween as a read aloud great.
This book highlights three stories about Dragon's adventures during the Halloween season. The drawings are colorful and cute. The stories are short, witty, and funny.

For those familiar with the Accelerated Reader Program, this is a level 3.1 book.
This is a cute Halloween book for elementary readers. We follow Dragon through his Halloween night adventures through a few short chapters that include full-page pictures. It's all the fun of Halloween wrapped up into one, easy-to-read book for kids!
Amy Carr
I am a huge fan of Dragon. I love this series of books for emerging "chapter book" readers about a sweet, lovable dragon who is solving simple problems with some funny mishaps along the way. Great illustrations and very sweet stories!
Cute beginner chapter book about Dragon's Halloween adventures. In the first chapter, Dragon looks for pumpkins. In the second chapter, Dragon figures out a costume. In the third chapter, Dragon has a scary adventure in the woods.
My child loves the "Dragon" books but this one wasn't as funny as some of the others (which is why I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 4). This book has 3 chapters: Six Small Pumpkins, Costume Party and The Deep Dark Woods.
Great starter chapter book. Divided into 3 chapters with different story lines helps students keep the stories separate. Cute stories abut Dragon scaring himself and his friends.
Dragon is such a loveable character!!! I was sad every time he was sad and I laughed whenever things turned out right. Pilkey has a way with characters. =)
What a charming book! Dragon is so sweet. And I love the section with his stomach growling. Somehow I can relate to that =)
This book may not have top-tier stars, but students love the Dragon stories. Fantastic read-aloud for primary children!
My favorite story is the costume party. The pictures are very nice also.
Five star illustrations! Love the way he mixes colors together.
Fun surprise with the pumpkins.
super cute, clever fun for kids.
Very cute and silly.
Oct 30, 2008 Jake added it
Shelves: books-we-own
another pretty cute one
Jun 04, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
ForemanTeaches marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
  • In the Haunted House
  • Big Pumpkin
  • The Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches
  • Clifford's First Halloween
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...

The Dragon Tales (5 books)
  • A Friend For Dragon