Start by marking “Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen

Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A guide for beginning-level cooks shares a wealth of vegetarian recipes that can be prepared in a minimum of time and without extensive exotic ingredients, sharing simple instructions for such options as Creamy Mushroom Pot Pie, Apricot Summer Tart with Macadamia Shortbread Crust, and Ice-Cold Blueb
Published October 5th 2004 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Cook 1.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook 1.0

Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
For the last month or so, I've been reading and cooking from Cook 1.0 by Heidi Swanson. I've made about 4 recipes and I wish I had more time to cook a couple other things that look really good. But since I've had for 6 weeks, I think it's time to return it to the library.

I really like Heidi's blog, 101 cookbooks. So when I saw that she had a few cookbooks, I knew I had to check them out from the library.

I can honestly say that I LOVE how her cookbook is set up and organized. It's divided into d
Pamela
Sep 10, 2014 Pamela rated it liked it
A very different approach to writing a cookbook. I liked it okay, but wasn't particularly enthralled with it. I liked the chatty style of the author. I read the entire book, so that says something. But the recipes didn't inspire me to try anything new, except to encourage me to try to make my own tortillas and pizza dough. I'll think about it.
Cara
Nov 12, 2014 Cara rated it it was amazing
Love the format of this book! Perfect for the way I cook on the fly most days. I've already made several successful recipes and have many more lined up to try soon.
Amy
Jan 24, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
Apparently I love anything by Heidi Swanson. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy her simple approach to cooking with fresh, natural ingredients. She does lots of variations on themes which I really enjoy (different types of stir-fry's, ice teas, margaritas, etc., all using the same basic ingredients and then with a distinctive twist for each). This is one I plan on buying to have on my cookbook shelf alongside her other one that I already have, Super Natural Cooking. Also check out her blog wit ...more
Carolynz
Jan 17, 2009 Carolynz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Here is one of those serendipitous stories about discovering a favorite author. One day at the library, combing the cookbook shelves, I pulled this one out and decided to take it home.
I am a pretty uninspired cook, and Heidi's very simple book got me back on track.
It is now in my own cookbook collection and I have frequently gone back to it for simple but healthy foods.

Shortly around that time I accidentally discovered the 101Cookbooks site, and have been a large fan and regular reader ever
Ehrrin
Apr 27, 2007 Ehrrin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes to eat food
This may be my favorite cookbook of all time. It's chock-full of tons and tons of great recipes and ideas and Heidi's signature gorgeous photos. It's so well laid-out--she'll have a category, like rice bowls or stir-fry or quesadillas, and then give all the steps and a couple pages of recipes on that theme laid-out in the smartest, most intuitive and user-friendly way ever, along with ideas for stuff to try on your own. And, all the recipes are really simple, healthy and, most importantly, delic ...more
Genevieve
Dec 18, 2008 Genevieve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Both of Heidi Swanson's cookbooks (and her food blog) are fabulous, creative, health conscious, educational and inspiring. I've been cooking for awhile and learned a lot from this cookbook - including how to make your own fabulous tortillas. We are a wheat-free household and they very easily made the transition. The charts make it easy to stay on track when you have a lot of other things going on and the flavor combinations are to die for.
Amy
May 30, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I came across Heidi on her blog 101cookbooks.com, which I like to read as well. I liked the way her cookbook was set up with "options", a different approach to recipes by using different ingredients, etc.
Ianna
Sep 14, 2013 Ianna rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
I really wanted to like this cookbook, but the layout and formatting just threw me off. It looks like a chemistry book or something, with table lists of variations on each main dish. I totally lost interest.
J
Aug 15, 2011 J rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Ms Swanson now. Finally a vegetarian cookbook without a bunch of cheese or salt added to every recipe and not too much tofu! Got it from the library and it will be the next book I buy.
Ashley
Feb 25, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, read-in-2009
Oh, how I want to own this book. A couple weeks ago it was nearly $100 on Amazon so I resorted to the library copy again. Seriously, I just keep going back for more. I can't get enough of it.
Julie Doherty
Jan 26, 2012 Julie Doherty rated it it was ok
With this being a vegetarian cookbook, you'd think the recipes would be more health conscious. Not so. Lots of recipes called for white flour, sweetened condensed milk and sugar.
Kerri
Dec 22, 2008 Kerri rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Perhaps I shouldn't rate it as I haven't cooked anything from it yet...but, I love Heidi's blog. She gives me lots of ideas for fresh vegetarian cooking.
Jesse Kelly-Landes
Sep 01, 2007 Jesse Kelly-Landes rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I think this is a book for people who dislike cooking or don't really know how. It's actually great for that. Yummy sangrias and margaritas!
Sandy
May 28, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
at last, a cookbook, even I can use. lots of beautiful picture, nice layout, vegetarian. I even paid CASH MONEY to buy my own copy!
sylwia kalisz
sylwia kalisz rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Arpita Patel
Arpita Patel marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Geralyn
Geralyn marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Smeagols
Smeagols marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Shirley Bohol
Shirley Bohol marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Sam Daken
Sam Daken marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
MJ
MJ marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Judy Howell
Judy Howell rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Flexitarian Table: Inspired, Flexible Meals for Vegetarians, Meat Lovers, and Everyone in Between
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • The VB6 Cookbook: More than 350 Recipes for Healthy Vegan Meals All Day and Delicious Flexitarian Dinners at Night
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • From Seed to Skillet: A Guide to Growing, Tending, Harvesting, and Cooking Up Fresh, Healthy Food to Share with People You Love
  • Oaxaca Al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy