Start by marking “Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen

Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A guide for beginning-level cooks shares a wealth of vegetarian recipes that can be prepared in a minimum of time and without extensive exotic ingredients, sharing simple instructions for such options as Creamy Mushroom Pot Pie, Apricot Summer Tart with Macadamia Shortbread Crust, and Ice-Cold Blueb
Published October 5th 2004 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Cook 1.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook 1.0

Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
For the last month or so, I've been reading and cooking from Cook 1.0 by Heidi Swanson. I've made about 4 recipes and I wish I had more time to cook a couple other things that look really good. But since I've had for 6 weeks, I think it's time to return it to the library.

I really like Heidi's blog, 101 cookbooks. So when I saw that she had a few cookbooks, I knew I had to check them out from the library.

I can honestly say that I LOVE how her cookbook is set up and organized. It's divided into d
Pamela
A very different approach to writing a cookbook. I liked it okay, but wasn't particularly enthralled with it. I liked the chatty style of the author. I read the entire book, so that says something. But the recipes didn't inspire me to try anything new, except to encourage me to try to make my own tortillas and pizza dough. I'll think about it.
Cara
Love the format of this book! Perfect for the way I cook on the fly most days. I've already made several successful recipes and have many more lined up to try soon.
Amy
Apparently I love anything by Heidi Swanson. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy her simple approach to cooking with fresh, natural ingredients. She does lots of variations on themes which I really enjoy (different types of stir-fry's, ice teas, margaritas, etc., all using the same basic ingredients and then with a distinctive twist for each). This is one I plan on buying to have on my cookbook shelf alongside her other one that I already have, Super Natural Cooking. Also check out her blog wit ...more
Carolynz
Here is one of those serendipitous stories about discovering a favorite author. One day at the library, combing the cookbook shelves, I pulled this one out and decided to take it home.
I am a pretty uninspired cook, and Heidi's very simple book got me back on track.
It is now in my own cookbook collection and I have frequently gone back to it for simple but healthy foods.

Shortly around that time I accidentally discovered the 101Cookbooks site, and have been a large fan and regular reader ever
Ehrrin
Apr 27, 2007 Ehrrin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes to eat food
This may be my favorite cookbook of all time. It's chock-full of tons and tons of great recipes and ideas and Heidi's signature gorgeous photos. It's so well laid-out--she'll have a category, like rice bowls or stir-fry or quesadillas, and then give all the steps and a couple pages of recipes on that theme laid-out in the smartest, most intuitive and user-friendly way ever, along with ideas for stuff to try on your own. And, all the recipes are really simple, healthy and, most importantly, delic ...more
Genevieve
Both of Heidi Swanson's cookbooks (and her food blog) are fabulous, creative, health conscious, educational and inspiring. I've been cooking for awhile and learned a lot from this cookbook - including how to make your own fabulous tortillas. We are a wheat-free household and they very easily made the transition. The charts make it easy to stay on track when you have a lot of other things going on and the flavor combinations are to die for.
Amy
I came across Heidi on her blog 101cookbooks.com, which I like to read as well. I liked the way her cookbook was set up with "options", a different approach to recipes by using different ingredients, etc.
Ianna
I really wanted to like this cookbook, but the layout and formatting just threw me off. It looks like a chemistry book or something, with table lists of variations on each main dish. I totally lost interest.
J
I'm a huge fan of Ms Swanson now. Finally a vegetarian cookbook without a bunch of cheese or salt added to every recipe and not too much tofu! Got it from the library and it will be the next book I buy.
Ashley
Oh, how I want to own this book. A couple weeks ago it was nearly $100 on Amazon so I resorted to the library copy again. Seriously, I just keep going back for more. I can't get enough of it.
Julie Doherty
With this being a vegetarian cookbook, you'd think the recipes would be more health conscious. Not so. Lots of recipes called for white flour, sweetened condensed milk and sugar.
Kerri
Perhaps I shouldn't rate it as I haven't cooked anything from it yet...but, I love Heidi's blog. She gives me lots of ideas for fresh vegetarian cooking.
Jesse Kelly-Landes
I think this is a book for people who dislike cooking or don't really know how. It's actually great for that. Yummy sangrias and margaritas!
Sandy
at last, a cookbook, even I can use. lots of beautiful picture, nice layout, vegetarian. I even paid CASH MONEY to buy my own copy!
Catie
Jul 18, 2007 Catie marked it as to-read
bon.
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
E
E marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Geoffrey Staysniak
Geoffrey Staysniak marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Kakumani Chandana
Kakumani Chandana marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Oct 22, 2014
Juri Pergega
Juri Pergega marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • 660 Curries
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • A New Way to Cook
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking Kinfolk Volume 2 [Name of Lake or Reservoir] Water Quality Monitoring Report: Provincial Parks Lake Monitoring Program Long Lake Water Quality Monitoring Report: Provincial Parks Lake Monitoring Program