Start by marking “Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen

Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A guide for beginning-level cooks shares a wealth of vegetarian recipes that can be prepared in a minimum of time and without extensive exotic ingredients, sharing simple instructions for such options as Creamy Mushroom Pot Pie, Apricot Summer Tart with Macadamia Shortbread Crust, and Ice-Cold Blueb
Published October 5th 2004 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Cook 1.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook 1.0

Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
For the last month or so, I've been reading and cooking from Cook 1.0 by Heidi Swanson. I've made about 4 recipes and I wish I had more time to cook a couple other things that look really good. But since I've had for 6 weeks, I think it's time to return it to the library.

I really like Heidi's blog, 101 cookbooks. So when I saw that she had a few cookbooks, I knew I had to check them out from the library.

I can honestly say that I LOVE how her cookbook is set up and organized. It's divided into d
Pamela
A very different approach to writing a cookbook. I liked it okay, but wasn't particularly enthralled with it. I liked the chatty style of the author. I read the entire book, so that says something. But the recipes didn't inspire me to try anything new, except to encourage me to try to make my own tortillas and pizza dough. I'll think about it.
Cara
Love the format of this book! Perfect for the way I cook on the fly most days. I've already made several successful recipes and have many more lined up to try soon.
Amy
Apparently I love anything by Heidi Swanson. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do enjoy her simple approach to cooking with fresh, natural ingredients. She does lots of variations on themes which I really enjoy (different types of stir-fry's, ice teas, margaritas, etc., all using the same basic ingredients and then with a distinctive twist for each). This is one I plan on buying to have on my cookbook shelf alongside her other one that I already have, Super Natural Cooking. Also check out her blog wit ...more
Carolynz
Here is one of those serendipitous stories about discovering a favorite author. One day at the library, combing the cookbook shelves, I pulled this one out and decided to take it home.
I am a pretty uninspired cook, and Heidi's very simple book got me back on track.
It is now in my own cookbook collection and I have frequently gone back to it for simple but healthy foods.

Shortly around that time I accidentally discovered the 101Cookbooks site, and have been a large fan and regular reader ever
Ehrrin
Apr 27, 2007 Ehrrin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes to eat food
This may be my favorite cookbook of all time. It's chock-full of tons and tons of great recipes and ideas and Heidi's signature gorgeous photos. It's so well laid-out--she'll have a category, like rice bowls or stir-fry or quesadillas, and then give all the steps and a couple pages of recipes on that theme laid-out in the smartest, most intuitive and user-friendly way ever, along with ideas for stuff to try on your own. And, all the recipes are really simple, healthy and, most importantly, delic ...more
Genevieve
Both of Heidi Swanson's cookbooks (and her food blog) are fabulous, creative, health conscious, educational and inspiring. I've been cooking for awhile and learned a lot from this cookbook - including how to make your own fabulous tortillas. We are a wheat-free household and they very easily made the transition. The charts make it easy to stay on track when you have a lot of other things going on and the flavor combinations are to die for.
Amy
I came across Heidi on her blog 101cookbooks.com, which I like to read as well. I liked the way her cookbook was set up with "options", a different approach to recipes by using different ingredients, etc.
Ianna
I really wanted to like this cookbook, but the layout and formatting just threw me off. It looks like a chemistry book or something, with table lists of variations on each main dish. I totally lost interest.
J
I'm a huge fan of Ms Swanson now. Finally a vegetarian cookbook without a bunch of cheese or salt added to every recipe and not too much tofu! Got it from the library and it will be the next book I buy.
Ashley
Oh, how I want to own this book. A couple weeks ago it was nearly $100 on Amazon so I resorted to the library copy again. Seriously, I just keep going back for more. I can't get enough of it.
Julie Doherty
With this being a vegetarian cookbook, you'd think the recipes would be more health conscious. Not so. Lots of recipes called for white flour, sweetened condensed milk and sugar.
Kerri
Perhaps I shouldn't rate it as I haven't cooked anything from it yet...but, I love Heidi's blog. She gives me lots of ideas for fresh vegetarian cooking.
Jesse Kelly-Landes
I think this is a book for people who dislike cooking or don't really know how. It's actually great for that. Yummy sangrias and margaritas!
Sandy
at last, a cookbook, even I can use. lots of beautiful picture, nice layout, vegetarian. I even paid CASH MONEY to buy my own copy!
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Nicole Modugno
Nicole Modugno marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Marna
Marna marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Julia Flath
Julia Flath marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Mar 27, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Sathya
Sathya marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Highlyeccentric
Highlyeccentric marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Joanna Menda
Joanna Menda marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Love Soup: 160 All-New Vegetarian Recipes from the Author of The Vegetarian Epicure
  • The Flexitarian Table: Inspired, Flexible Meals for Vegetarians, Meat Lovers, and Everyone in Between
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 250 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • 660 Curries
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen Super Natural Cooking: Five Delicious Ways to Incorporate Whole and Natural Foods into Your Cooking Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home & Travel Kinfolk Volume 2 Near & Far: Recipes Inspired by Home and Travel