Start by marking “Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs” as Want to Read:
Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs

Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  21 reviews

Dogs have always been our friends and changed our lives for the better. But they may save our lives as well. Seamlessly weaving scientific research with compelling narrative, Paws & Effect tells incredibly moving stories of beloved pets who have supported their people through periods of ill health and other crises—with miraculous results:

*Little Ben, a Chihuahua who c

Published June 9th 2009 by Spiegel & Grau (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Paws & Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paws & Effect

Beth/Sr. Elizabeth
I probably liked this book so much because it goes along with what I already know - that dogs can heal people when all else fails -- but why wait until all else fails?? Go get a shelter dog!
Michelle
Being a dog lover, I'm already very familiar with the emotional upside of being around dogs, but this book took it a step further by suggesting that the ancient relationship between man and dog is evolving beyond companionship and emotional well-being.

As a former puppy-raiser for guide dogs, I was interested to learn that the use and acceptance by society of dogs for other physical disabilities is fairly recent. Today research is continuing into how dogs are able to actually smell cancer in pat
Kristin
I really enjoyed this book. At first glance, I thought it was just going to be stories about dogs--kind of like the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers series. I learned a lot of things from this book, from the Delta Society to Therapy dogs and war dogs. The only thing I wish the author would have done differently is to put pictures in the stories, because I don't know what some dog breeds look like off hand. I would recommend this book to anyone that has a dog!
Margaret
As one who does pet therapy with my dog, I wanted to read this book when I saw a review in the Best Friends magazine. It contained articles about people whose lives were changed by dogs. The story about Bonnie Bergin's pioneering work with assistance dogs was really great - she founded Canine Companions for Independence. I was surprised to learn how smart dogs are and how much they can do to make the lives of humans so much richer.
Joyce
Feb 27, 2008 Joyce rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with and without dogs
Recommended to Joyce by: Internet
This book gives many solid examples of what dog-lovers have always known...a person is healthier and happier when they own a dog, and dogs are remarkably intuitive when it comes to knowing when where, and how to give comfort to someone whether injured, ill, or just in a difficult state of mind. AWESOME!
Kim
Loved, loved, loved this book! Anyone who even likes cats and dogs will look at them on a whole new level after reading this book. The book inspired myself to find out if there was anything I could add to the world through my love of animals...especially dogs and cats.
Kitty Tomlinson
Moving accounts of how dogs have enriched our lives--from service dogs to dogs that improve our health by detecting cancer, etc.
Vicki
Very interesting book. I have newfound respect for service dogs and their handlers. If you love dogs you will like this book.
Bethany
This was a very interesting and well-written book. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves dogs.
Patricia
good - is an informational book about "helping" dogs that aid people with disabilities
Jeannie Tremblay
This book is about the healing power of dogs. I loved every chapter and wept while reading the last two chapters. If you love dogs, you will love this book. The more I read books about dogs, the more I want a dog. I do believe it will happen one day!!
Bookchick
Though the writing isn't spectacular, I love all of the studies on how dogs very effectively help humans detect and deal with both emotional and physical disease. There are a wide variety of anecdotes as to how dogs are therapeutic to people they interact with. Great to have in my back pocket as a therapy dog handler.
Marianne Jay
I have two dogs that I love with all of my heart. Every day, in every way, I can see how intuitive they are.

This book is sweet. I shows just how "essential" dogs are to our universe.

They say that "Dog" is "God" spelled backwards.....and that is very true.
Jan
This is an excellent book for dog lovers, and for those who want to have a therapy dog (that would be me!). Full of examples of canine intelligence, empathy, and abilities. I will keep this book as a reference, and to share.
Donna Hunt
Great book exploring the healing power of dogs. Dogs have that special something and these people in the stories in this book prove they know it and want to share it with the world.
Kathy Enquist
loved to read about how dogs have helped people in so many ways. several short stories with an incredible bibliography and appendix. A must have for anyone thinking of doing therapy work.
Nicole
Every chapter left me overflowing with tears -..in a good way- over the therapeutic and emotional connections between dogs and their people.
Denise
Full of heartwarming tales of hope about people and dogs. Some amazing stuff here. Totally enjoyed it.
Amy Carter
A little hard to get through, but amazing what dogs can do, like smell cancer in humans.
Janie
I laughed. I cried. It was better than Cats.
Caroline
This book explores paw power. Dogs aren't called Man's Best Friend coincidentally. Their companionship and intuition are both a comfort and a tool that are often times taken for granted or overlooked. Sharon Sakson takes us from canines and cave men, to scientific studies testing the theory that dogs can smell cancer -- they can. I enjoyed reading about the healing power of dogs in people's lives. And hope to have one of my own soon!
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Marietjie Hattingh
Marietjie Hattingh marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Kwincy Bella Hansen
Kwincy Bella Hansen marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Tatjana
Tatjana marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Naddiezz
Naddiezz marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions
  • Cormac
  • Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
Sharon Sakson is a journalist; network news television producer and dog show judge. She is the author of six books, four about dogs. Her household includes two horses and ten dogs. She has raised top winning Whippets and Brussels Griffons. She volunteers as a puppy raiser for a service dog organization. She is the author of over two hundred articles, appearing in the New York Times, People magazin ...more
More about Sharon Sakson...
Paws to Protect: Dogs Saving Lives and Restoring Hope Boxers [With DVD] Paws & Effect Almost Perfect: Disabled Pets and The People Who Love Them Paws and Reflect: Exploring the Bond Between Gay Men and Their Dogs