Start by marking “Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood” as Want to Read:

This is a celebration of the special relationship women can have with books. It crosses the ages from Biblical scribes to women writers making a name for themselves in the 21st century.
Published August 1st 2000 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Women Who Love Books Too Much, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Who Love Books Too Much

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Mar 20, 2009 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it really liked it
Shelves: what-nonfiction
I gave this book a five up until the last chapter when it kind of fell apart in my mind. Then, looking back, I realized that a four is more appropriate anyway which I'll explain below.

The name is misleading because it's really about female authors throughout history, although I probably wouldn't have picked it up with a more boring title. The book is impeccably researched containing information about female authors throughout history, most of whom I'd never even heard of. The bits about each oth
Amy
Jul 08, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
When I started reading this book I realized by page 7 that I would need to take notes, adding to my forever expanding wish list of books I would like to read some day, but by the end of the first chapter I gave up, too many authors! My solution, I photo-copied the index for future reference. There are many authors mentioned in this book that I have never heard of and many I have heard of, but whose work I've never read. I must remedy that! Some believe that this book is US-centric. I disagree. M ...more
bookczuk
Mar 12, 2009 bookczuk rated it liked it
I know it may be hard to believe, but some of us are obsessed with books. And for those of us who are, it is even harder to believe that there are folks out there who don't like books. We recognize kindred spirits who display the common signs of book fever:frequent visits to the bookstore for no specific reason, an overflowing book shelf, and a search in the forum yields a huge list both as poster and content.
Stacy
Nov 05, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
With a title like this how could I not pick it up, especially since I found it at Half-Price Books? There are seven different groupings of women with short bios of each woman included. I enjoyed some chapters more than others and there is a large selection of women from every time period and geographic location (although it is clearly Anglo based). I had heard of maybe a little more than half of these women and enjoyed getting to know some women that I knew of, but had never read. Betty Friedan, ...more
Faith-Anne
Feb 11, 2008 Faith-Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bibliophiles
This book is truly a wonder. It packs a lot of interesting facts and tidbits about nearly every writer you can think of off the top of your head! Don't let it's small size fool you. It was the perfect book to bring on vacation. I could read it at leisure. The biographies were small enough that they could be read while on the bus. Perfect!
Pamela(AllHoney)
I found this one at my local library. Just a bunch of short bios of various women throughout history who have contributed to the world of literature in some way. I thought it very informative of how women played a part in the literary world.
Mzbluestocking
Aug 13, 2007 Mzbluestocking rated it it was amazing
A book about my own kind. Of course, I loved it.

Notes:
The earliest female author was Enheduanna of Ur. Her works dated from 2500 BCE.

Emesal- the distinctly female written dialect.

"It has been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders, coming up of themselves like grass."- Eudora Welty.

"I walk where my own nature would be leading: it vexes me to chose another guide."- Emily Bronte

"I won't be any properer than I h
Angela
May 08, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok
Recommended to Angela by: Gilly
Shelves: non-fiction
I have been reading this for a bit now, in small increments. But I just ran across a quote that reminds me of bookcrossing, so...from page 69

"'I love inscriptions on flyleaves and notes in margins, I like the comradely sens of turning pages someone else turned, and reading passages some one long gone has called my attention to.' - Bibliophile Helen Hanff, on the joys of second-hand books, from 84, Charing Cross Road"

anyway, isn't that sort of what bookcrossing is about, only instead of writing i
Graceann
Feb 01, 2015 Graceann rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I found this on my travels and thought it would be a natural for me (though I don't accept that there's such a thing as loving books "too much." That smacks of "get your nose out of that book" from when I was a kid).

The premise is a pretty simple one - shine a light on women of letters ranging from the very obscure (Mary Manley) to the much beloved (Maya Angelou, Margaret Mitchell) and tell us a bit about their lives and styles. Throw in some excellent quotes from them and other literary women,
booklady
Jun 04, 2008 booklady rated it liked it
Recommends it for: female bibliophiles
A fun little book -- which I picked up on sale -- all about other women like me, women who love books too much. I have read snippets from it now and then and from what I can tell, I'm far from alone. And furthermore, this close-to-obsession I have with books is not just idle curiousity, nor greed, nor escapism, nor mere vanity, but springs from something deep inside me, a genuine desire to LEARN and to KNOW! Not everything about everything, but as much as I can about the things I am interested i ...more
jf
Dec 09, 2015 jf rated it it was ok
Easy to read in small doses, which works for me these days. The book discussed some interesting women that I was not that familiar with, but there was a rather glaring error mixing up the plots of Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility in the Jane Austen bio that I'm surprised a "woman who loves books too much" would make.
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
6/1/07 - I have been carrying this book around in my file bag at work for the majority of this past school year, reading a few pages at a time here & there, when I have a few minutes to spare. Well, it took me a while, but I did make it through the whole thing, and the timing was pretty good, as I finished it this week, and school also ended this week. It's a very nice resource for giving the reader a brief glimpse into some of the world's most innovative women writers -- some I was pretty f ...more
Susan
Feb 04, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
I better read more faster! There are authors I never heard of in this little book. A handy little reference and summary of amazing women authors.
Emily
Jun 16, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Encyclopedia of women writers, from the obscure (but why?) to the well known. Kind of gossipy, but intellectual. Right up my alley.
Cara
Apr 19, 2014 Cara added it
Fun overview of women who changed the world through writing and reading!
Thecajungirl
Apr 07, 2016 Thecajungirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Lovely book. I am going to advise my two daughters read this book. Informative and inspirational.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, bc2007, biography
This was a book I found hard to read non-stop. There was so much interesting information about each of the authors that I had to take more time than usual while reading it.
The bad editing was annoying and distracting.
I enjoyed the quotes at the end of each author section. I especially liked the one from Emily Bronte:

I'll walk where my own nature would be leading:
It vexes me to choose another guide.

Suzanne Volpe
Feb 03, 2016 Suzanne Volpe rated it liked it
Short bios of all women writers. List classics and must read books. Gives websites and references for authors.
Joan Colby
Dec 15, 2010 Joan Colby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
. Delightful profiles of women writers through the ages grouped by categories. While one wishes that some who were merely noted were also profiled, such as Anais Nin, still this nearly illustrated volume is a fun and instructive read.
Ana
Nov 18, 2009 Ana rated it really liked it
This is pretty interesting--a compilation of mini-biographies of some of the best, brightest, most famous and most forgotten female literary minds ranging from our time and going all the way back to 2500 BC...
Gail
Jul 28, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
Interesting read - so many women writers unrecognized during their time. Many that I was not previously aware of -wonderful to read the mini-bios of the women. I plan to add several to my to-read list.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2009- Mainly a set of mini-biographies of women who were writers or in some other way had an impact on literature. Similar to format to the Uppity Women Series, and I believe from the same publisher.
Maggie
Apr 01, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, feminist
This is a collection of short biographies of important and influenctial women writers. It covers a wide selection of authors. I've got many new books to add to my "to-read" list from this book.
Amanda
Nov 05, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was an interesting set of short, funny vignettes on a whole range of smart, sassy women. Perfect airplane book that was entertaining and informative.
Karen Powell
Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings, and Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Brenda Knight (2000)
Tina
May 03, 2008 Tina rated it liked it
You know how some people keep People magazine in their guest bathroom? This is what I have in mine. I hope entertaining for my guests.
Joan
Jul 21, 2008 Joan rated it really liked it
Mini-bios and bits of poetry and prose from some of the best women authors. This gave me more books to add to my list.
Holly Miller
Jan 07, 2013 Holly Miller rated it it was amazing
This was a really cool book. It allowed me to indulge my obsession with books and discover some new writers.
Janene
Jul 14, 2013 Janene marked it as to-read
I won this at our Dec book club meeting. Really excited to read it!
Lacy
Dec 08, 2008 Lacy added it
Shelves: read-in-2005
Karah gave me this as a present several years ago.
wanita pencinta buku 1 7 May 21, 2009 10:53PM
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • For the Love of Books: 115 Celebrated Writers on the Books They Love Most
  • Book Finds: How to Find, Buy, and Sell Used and Rare Books
  • The Quotable Book Lover
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • Books Do Furnish a Room
  • Who the Hell Is Pansy O'Hara?: The Fascinating Stories Behind 50 of the World's Best-Loved Books
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore