Start by marking “Galileo's Treasure Box” as Want to Read:
Galileo's Treasure Box

Galileo's Treasure Box

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  20 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Virginia's famous father, Galileo, sleeps during the day and studies the sky at night. While he is sleeping, Virginia discovers a box on his desk with five objects inside - four pieces of glass and a feather - that reveal the world to her in new and wonderful ways.

Using the rich colors and lush textures of the Renaissance, Catherine Brighton recreates Galileo's world. This
Published March 1st 2001 by Walker Childrens (first published September 3rd 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Galileo's Treasure Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Galileo's Treasure Box

Libby Hutchison
This book is about Galileo and his daughter. It is written from his daughter's point of view which gives it an interesting perspective. It talks about how Galileo works all night and then sleeps during the day while his daughter does the opposite. While galileo is sleeping, his daughter looks on his desk in which he works at and finds five things in a box. These different things do crazy things to her perspective of the world and she ends up asking her father about it when she wakes up.

I really
Shelli
Oct 24, 2014 Shelli rated it liked it
This is a beautiful work of historical fiction from the perspective of Virginia Galilei, daughter of Galileo. This is not a book I would recommend if you are only searching for information about the famous astronomer. However, if you already have some knowledge about him it’s interesting to look for references of his work in the lovely illustrations. The afterward provides some facts about Galileo’s life and relationship with his daughter.
Canadian Reader
Sep 20, 2015 Canadian Reader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A missed opportunity, Five Secrets in a Box is a spare picture book from the point of view of Galileo's daughter, Virginia. When her father is asleep during daylight hours, having stayed up studying the night sky, Virginia comes upon his desk where five of his tools lie. Virginia looks through various lenses...and, well, that's about it. Nothing truly valuable about Galileo's life is revealed and characters are as flat as can be. I was unimpressed with the book on all levels. Even the paintings ...more
Connie
Feb 14, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
This book isn't really about Galileo. It's not about his work, or his discoveries. It's not about the changes he made in our understanding of the world.

It's a book about a small child trying to be part of her daddy's life. You know any kids like that, poking around your desk, playing with your things and trying to understand your grown-up business?

I was taken a little by surprise at how simple the language used is. With its short sentences, this book is more appropriate for 4 year olds than 8 y
Katherine
"Galileo's Treasure Box" is about Galileo's daughter Virginia, and what it might have been like for her to grow up in a house with her famous father. At the end of the book, there is a section that tells a brief history of Galileo, and what all of the items Virginia finds in his box are used for. This section helps to bring the story into our previous knowledge of Galileo. I would read this story to my students after a lesson about Galileo.
booklady
Jun 02, 2008 booklady rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young people--of ALL ages!
Sweet. Full of colorful pictures and a curious little girl who goes exploring; she reminds me of two little girls I used to know. I know they would have loved this book. Few words and bright, interesting, attractive pictures for the visually stimulated child.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
DickensAnnex
DickensAnnex rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Tiffany Bowen
Tiffany Bowen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Valerie Stephenson
Valerie Stephenson rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Hannah Nast
Hannah Nast rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Sally
Sally added it
Nov 25, 2014
Sara Beth
Sara Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Johanna Solly
Johanna Solly rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
She Reads
She Reads rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Sophie Love Heart
Sophie Love Heart marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Tamar
Tamar marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2013