Girls Night

Girls Night

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Knowing their mom deserves some happiness, Jillene McDermott's teen daughters, Claire and Faye, write a personal ad for her. But their good intentions go wrong when Vince Tremonti, a crime writer who returns home to Blue Heron Beach, steps in as Jillene's "boyfriend." Thrown together, the two can't deny their mutual attraction, and they realize there is more between them t...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2002)

Laura the Highland Hussy

This is one of the few contemporaries I've read, and it was cute.
A widowed mom of two tween girls runs her late hubby's coffee shop, renames it Java the Hut lol, and meets up with town's favorite boy.
Vince is a true crime novelist who came home and couldn't resist Jillene or her coffee. Her two girls put out a personal ad for their mom, but it was done from the standpoint of kids...and hysterical! They ended up with foot fetish guys calling, and Jillene had no clue as to why all these...more
Robin
After losing her job because of an illness, Tessa Sheridan has returned to her hometown and bought a small cottage in the woods. The only thing disturbing her serenity is the loud roar of motorcycles at her neighbors house. But when she meets the bad boy next door who everyone tells her is trouble, Tessa is very intrigued. Lucky Romo was a rebel with a dark past. Getting close to Tessa was not what he planned. But the intense attraction between them was something that could not be denied.

I liked...more
Dana
The book has its own appeal. I could say that Steff Ann Holm creates the pictures and scenery more pronounced. She definitely did a great job. It's a good story for a widowed or anyone who has lost his/her hope because the novel tells a story about a girl named, Jillene McDermott who has become a widow for 6 years, has been having a hard time making Coffee time turned Java the Hut-the business her late husband left-successful, and has 2 daughters-Claire and Faye-to take care of. And a guy named,...more
Annette
I am a fan of Stef Ann Holm's work, and this is one of the nicest books she has written.

Jillene is a widow raising 2 girls and having terrible financial problems. Her husband died quite suddenly and the business he had owned, a coffee shop, is still struggling to become successful.

Vince is a famous true crime writer. He has come back to his home town to see his father and try to figure out a way to deal with the latest serial killer's story. The killer has been found guilty but his story is crea...more
Mandy
This author has no grasp on writing her characters to reflect their ages. For example, the tween daughters can’t wait to get into the bathtub with their mom. Really? I’ve never met kids of that age who are excited about sharing bath time. Frankly, I don’t know of any kids of that age that would ever even share baths, much less share a bath with their mom. Has this author ever met tweens? Super creepy scene.

Likewise, the hero and heroine spend ages lamenting about the good old days before the cr...more
Cyndi Tefft
This was a cute book. I particularly liked the sweet romance between Al and Ianella. They were precious. Vince and Jillene definitely had nice sexual tension, but I thought she was rather forgiving of the way he'd come on strong and then just disappear without a word or explanation. I thought the subplot of the serial killer/true crime novel was creative and well done.

It had me laughing in a few spots, enjoying the sizzle, but I wouldn't say I fell head over heels for the characters. So all in a...more
Gail
Hero writes true crime novels—but is ready for a change and has come back to his home town to find it. Heroine is a widow with two daughters whose husband left her deep in debt and she’s struggling to find a way out and keep her coffee shop in business. They’re both dealing with guilt—his for possibly encouraging a murderer who wanted the fame of getting himself written into a book, and hers for resenting her husband for leaving her in debt. And they find each other and live happily ever after....more
Christy
I really liked this story, for the characters. In fact, I was surprised I enjoyed it so much. It is a sweet, romantic story focused on how mature adults find love in the face of personal histories and others' expectations. That said, it was missing some drama and action. The author had all the makings for a suspense novel, so I kept expecting the threat on Jillene to materialize or for Vince's work to catch up to him, but it never happened. The story you get is ok, good even, but could have been...more
Catherine
I thought this book was a nice quick read. It was entertaining but not a complicated plot.

Jillene, a widow with two daugthers is struggling to keep her business going after her husband dies and leaves her in a bad situation. Vince an author and the local celebrity comes to town to see his father and meets the coffee shop owner. Sparks fly instantly between the two, but they both have issues they need to deal with before any kind of relationship can work between them.
Kimberly
Pg 26, Near the top of the page,

"Kent was south of Seattle and took a rap for being populated by a dope-toking, beer-drinking, blue-collar industrial plant workforce."

Since I am from Kent, kind of took offense to this paragraph, but other than that I liked the book. Oh and I have never done dope, not a beer drinker, or any alcohol for that matter, and my dad and my husband are white collar, go figure.
Ladeedebra
Absolutely wonderful and entertaining. I love the way the characters come together and relate with one another. Great story of a son and his elderly father who are very close. Then son meets widow caring for pre-teen young lady. The characters are real and their problems are some in which I can relate. You will love it.
Christine
An adorable chick lit jewel box of a book. Who wouldn't want to own a coffee house on a small island near Seattle, along with two genuine daughters who aren't growing up too fast, even with missing their (deceased) dad. When the prodigal son returns, all bets are off on the owner of the coffee house.
penelopewanders
I had read one other by this author (Undressed) and this was a disappointing follow up. Not bad, a few cute moments, and a few moments which I felt were supposed to be really cute but didn't quite cut it with me. Not really much to set it apart.
Cute story. There were parts that seemed to drag on a bit, but for the most part it was well written and very engaging. Some parts were laugh out loud funny. This is the first book I've read by this author, but it will not be the last!
Elizabeth
This book was really cute and I enjoyed it. This was much more than your average romance it also has a message to never give up. I enjoyed both of the love stories in this book and her daughters were a hoot.
Jacque
This is a very good contemporary romance. It has likeable characters. Jillene has two loveable daughters that want her to be happy. How they go about it makes for some very funny situations.
Ruth Kraehnke
Cute and touching story of love in a small town setting. Predictable ending. I thought the epilogue wound it up a little too neatly. A little too long for me.
Karen Oake
Aug 20, 2007 Karen Oake rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I enjoyed this book very much. Great story line. Kept my interest all the way through. The perfect book with a little romance added in. A very happy ending.
Kim
Really well written. This was the first book I have read by Stef Ann Holm. The story flowed well and I will admit to hating Vince for awhile.
Mary
A sweet, sexy, funny, irresistable read! Vince and Jillene will make you believe in love the second time around! Highly recommended!
Lynda
This book was a nice soft romantic read. A young widow and a bachelor crime writer learn about each other as they fall in love.
Jayme
This is a cute story - A little bit slow and drawn out but I liked the Characters and felt like they had some real life in them.
it was okay. just about what every other romantic tales spins. the plot lacked any devlopment and the end was predictable.
Starla
This book was really good. Towards the end it got a little risque, but the book overall was a great light read.
Beth
This was a Kindle freebie. I liked the book but felt like it didn't really start getting good until about halfway in.
Whimsical
Mar 10, 2012 Whimsical added it
Shelves: books-i-own
A departure from what I like to read. This was a romance novel--very predictable and an easy read.
Priscilla
This was a delightful book. Would definitely read more of her books.
Kandice
This ended up being a sweet love story. I enjoyed it.
Micki
Fluffy. Would not recommend.
Lindsay
Nov 29, 2012 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Amazon Freebie 11/29/2012
  • Plan on It
  • Escape Out of Darkness (Maggie Bennett, 1)
  • All About Evie (Chameleon Chronicles, #1)
  • She Drives Me Crazy (Walker Brothers, #1)
  • About That Man (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #1)
  • Crazy Love (Looking for Love, #2)
  • So Much For My Happy Ending
  • Starburst (Star Sequence, #1)
  • Devil in Disguise
  • Santa Wore Combat Boots
  • Slow Burn
  • Opposites Attract (MacLeod, #5)
  • Un-Bridaled
  • Big Bad Wolf (COS Commando)
  • Sara's Song
  • Night Moves (Night Tales, #6)
  • Surface Tension (Seychelle Sullivan, #1)
  • The Long Road Home
Stef Ann Holm was born in Southern California near Hollywood. With the fantasy worlds of Disneyland and Universal Studios at her doorstep, her imagination was stimulated at an early age. She attended Chatsworth High where Kevin Spacey, Mare Winningham and Val Kilmer entertained on the school's stage. As a semester elective, Stef Ann enrolled in drama and played a Fandango hostess in the chorus of...more
More about Stef Ann Holm...
Leaving Normal Lucy Gets Her Life Back All That Matters All the Right Angles Pink Moon