Start by marking “Evil Without a Face (Sweet Justice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evil Without a Face (Sweet Justice, #1)

Evil Without a Face (Sweet Justice #1)

Haunted and obsessed . . .

She sleeps with a Colt Python in her nightstand and her senses on alert—Jessica Beckett isn't taking any chances. Hiding a chilling secret, living in a world of snitches and felons, good cops and bad dreams, Jessica is a bounty hunter who brings lowlifes to justice. But not even she can imagine what she'll face when she tracks an online predator w
Published January 27th 2009 by Avon (first published January 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Evil Without a Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Without a Face

Aug 03, 2016 R-Cee*Jay rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this, can't wait for the next one!
The first book in Jordan Dane's Sweet Justice series. More on the suspense side than romance. Actually, not really much romance at all. Still the suspense was very gripping. Edge of your seat stuff.
Feb 21, 2010 Cindi rated it it was ok
This is one of those books where the author gets in the way of the story. There is nothing wrong with the storyline, just that the author could not do it "sweet justice" (the name of the series).

The heroine did not capture my attention and needed some backstory to make her palatable. Supposedly she had severe emotional and physical scarring from abuse in her early life, but she didn't really act like it consistently. She is a freelance bounty hunter who lives penny to penny, and is not all that
Dec 20, 2011 Marie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's the first book that I've read from Jordan Dane and I liked most everything about it. She is quite the writer. This book had an interesting plot, suspense and even romance. I liked the characters too. There were quite a few but they were all interesting. There were also a few scenes that were a little too graphic. I had a little trouble getting the scenes out of my head. I did debate whether giving this book 4 or 5 stars because of it. I figured a 5 since it was v ...more
This was a fast paced suspense novel, which pulled me in quickly and kept me reading despite a few of its flaws. It is told from multi viewpoints, with several characters that intrigued me with their backstory. Jess Beckett is another tortured character, who tries to justify her relentless and sometimes stupid drive throughout the book by her admittedly horrible past. Peyton is also damaged to some extent. He lost his parents at a young age, had to grow up fast to take care of his sister, and me ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"Haunted and obsessed....

She sleeps with a Colt Python in her nightstand and her senses on alert. Jessica Beckett isn't taking any chances. Hiding a chilling secret, living in a world of snitches and felons, good cops and bad dreams, Jessica is a bounty hunter who brings lowlifes to justice. But not even she can imagine what she'll face when she tracks an online predator who has abducted a naive teenage girl.

Making promises that can't be kept....

Former NFL quarterback Payton Archer swor
Danielle Taylor
Oct 04, 2015 Danielle Taylor rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars. Evil without a face is the first book in Jordan Dane's Sweet Justice trilogy. Call me crazy but I like to have some romance in my romance books and this one didn't.

Jessica Beckett is a bounty hunter investigating a child kidnapping ring. Payton Archer is an ex pro football player whose niece is kidnapped. It was almost 70% of the book before the two characters even met each other. There was a lot of information that I would have like a lot earlier. Like how Jessica and Samantha (a co
Wendy Hines
Jun 19, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
Nicki Archer is tired of her mom spying and yelling at her. She talks to a young girl in an internet chat-room and makes plans to run away. It never crosses Nicki’s mind that it may not have been a young girl she has been chatting with.

Jessica Beckett is a bounty hunter in Chicago. A victim of an abused childhood. Jessica has a personal vendetta against child abuser Lucas Baker. Even though he is not the one who abused her, she still is trying to find evidence to bust him. She steals his laptop,
Mar 25, 2010 Gina rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
If it were a movie, Evil Without a Face would be an edge-of-your-seat thriller. It has a gripping central premise - a tween American girl lured by an online predator into an international trafficking ring - and non-stop action with great pacing. I was impressed with how the action escalates in scale and speed without getting repetitive or James Bond-style absurd.

However, the movie's quality would depend a lot on the casting. If you mentally populate the novel with A-list actors, you can make th
Kat Delima
May 18, 2016 Kat Delima rated it liked it
This was my first read from Jordan Dane and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm always on the hunt for that next suspense author who can keep my interest and I'm usually disappointed but not in this case. The writing kept my interest the whole time, not too slow yet not too basic. Also I almost felt like I was watching a movie where right when you think you're coming on the end another scene is thrown in. I will definitely be reading the next one in this series.
Marianne Cates
Aug 29, 2016 Marianne Cates rated it it was amazing
Another one of my Favorite authors, love reading all her books.
Mar 10, 2009 Mysterious rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kirstin
Recommended to Mysterious by: PBS
Step aside Stephanie Plum, Bounty Hunter Jessica Beckett is the real deal. She is a woman who has lived through the un-thinkable, pulled herself up, and is all the more stronger for it.

Fast paced plot !
This book grabbed me from the first page and never let up, I found myself sneaking back to read just a little more.

Great character development.
I loved the characters in this book, I left with a feeling like I really know them.

I want more of them so bad, but will have to wait until The Wrong Sid
Nora aka Diva
May 20, 2015 Nora aka Diva rated it liked it
Quite thrill ride of a novel. An exciting read.
Mar 03, 2013 Cherry-Ann rated it really liked it
Loved it. Never heard about this author before but she can sure pack a punch. The early chapters kept you at a page turning pace as Jessie scrambled to catch up with bad guy Baker. Enter the Russian Stas and the story picks up pace as the menagerie increases with mysterious Seth, friend Sam, Marlowe, ex Alaska state trooper Joe, and delicious Payton. Explosions, body parts, secret law enforcement organisations culminates into an explosive read.
Human trafficking, scary internet lurers, forced human organ "donations," really dumb love story...I think this book would have thrilled me a while back but it just didn't do it for me this time. I think it was partially because I'm kind of on a historical fiction kick but it could have been the cheesy, eye rolling one liners. Who knows, frankly who cares.
Apr 05, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
This was a action packed, real entertaining story. The hunt was thrilling and chilling all at the same time. Jordan took me through the raw streets of "bad people". Without giving up any spoilers these bad people deserved way more then what they got, but that is what made her story so real. Nothing about this was fake or too much.. I really enjoyed it.
Feb 02, 2013 Amberrandall rated it liked it
While this story had good characters and a strong plot I felt that it was really let down but the interpersonal relationship and dialogue between characters. There were some moments that should have drawn the reader into the emotion and drama of the moment yet I was left feeling flat and unmoved by these interaction which really killed the story for me.
Apr 25, 2011 Afsana rated it liked it
this book was ok

I found it a bit annoying the main character didn't seem to want to help herself and could have made thing easier for herself

I found all her boos so so and thus won't be looking to buy anymore but may borrow from library
Cheryl Karkoff
Jan 27, 2010 Cheryl Karkoff rated it liked it
Good book. Should have read this one before The Wrong Side of Dead. Bounty hunter Jessica Beckett is on the trail of a missing girl.
Steve Fagerhaug
Oct 11, 2012 Steve Fagerhaug rated it did not like it
The characters are too unrealistic and their relationships too forced. I had to quit halfway through because it was just that bad.
Mar 16, 2010 Brandi rated it liked it
The storyline was just too dark for my liking and for some reason, I find the Jess character very unlikeable.
Shannon Clark
Nov 21, 2012 Shannon Clark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
Now this was a great thriller/mystery!! Read it all in one day. Didn't want to put it down.
Mar 26, 2010 Karen marked it as to-read
read this in ginas book blog--the series as a whole looks great and I trust her judgement.
Tonia Caniglia
Oct 09, 2013 Tonia Caniglia rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down, can't wait to read the next!
Jun 24, 2013 Janet added it
Else marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Donna Clark
Donna Clark marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Faceless (Less Series, #3)
  • You Can Run...
  • Evidence of Murder (Theresa MacLean #2)
  • Dark and Dangerous
  • Taken With The Enemy (Desert Phantoms #1)
  • Forget Me Not (SEAL Team 12, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #1)
  • Next Time You See Me
  • Don't Look Now (Look Trilogy, #1)
  • Intent to Harm (Kali O'Brien, #6)
  • Whisper of Warning (The Glass Sisters, #2)
  • Fire And Ice (Ice, #5)
Avon/HarperCollins launched Jordan Dane's debut suspense novels in a back to back publishing event in Spring 2008 after buying the 3-book series in auction. Pursuing publication since 2003, Jordan had received awards in 33 national writing competitions and was an energy sales manager in the oil and gas industry prior to selling. Now she is following her passion and writes full time.

Ripped from the
More about Jordan Dane...

Sweet Justice (4 books)
  • The Wrong Side of Dead (Sweet Justice, #2)
  • The Echo of Violence (Sweet Justice, #3)
  • Reckoning for the Dead (Sweet Justice, #4)