Start by marking “City of Coughing and Dead Radiators” as Want to Read:
City of Coughing and Dead Radiators

City of Coughing and Dead Radiators

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"With this fine new collection," says Library Journal, Martín Espada "joins the top ranks of poets anywhere"; in the words of Earl Shorris, he is "well on his way to becoming the Latino poet of his generation."
Published September 17th 1994 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about City of Coughing and Dead Radiators, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Coughing and Dead Radiators

Donnie
Aug 02, 2007 Donnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: poetry
I read this book in preparation for his reading at Bucks County Community College. Holy Crap he can read. He is so wonderful and so talented.
Megan E. McCarthy
Jan 05, 2014 Megan E. McCarthy rated it it was amazing
Only one or two poems in this collection didn't pack a proper wallop-- the majority of them are Espada doing his beautiful thing to utter perfection. There is a realness to his poetry that I have never encountered in any other poet. After reading the best of them, which are a page long at most, I feel as though I have just come away from watching an entire movie, because every character and piece of the story is so vivid in my mind. If you like poetry that will teach you something about the worl ...more
Karen
I read this slowly, over the course of the last few weeks, after seeing Espada's name mentioned in a list of favorite poems by young writers of color. I'm not a big poetry reader, and I hadn't read his work before. Dug it, would read again.
ben adam
Jan 26, 2016 ben adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Great book by a revolutionary author who was still finding his voice with this book. Near the end, the poems started getting formulaic.
Christina Rau
Aug 28, 2015 Christina Rau rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Imagistic and narrative, this collection presents real life without sappy sentiment or preaching. The organization and some of the longer poems didn't work for me, but overall, a fantastic collection.
Jeff
Jul 13, 2009 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Although a good collection of his earlier poetry, I felt that the later book, Imagine the Angels of Bread, much more expressive, honest, and accessible. I felt much more empathy towards his stories in the later collection.
Elizabeth
Mar 19, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Decent, not spectacular. Not sure why there's a glossary included; pretty much all the Spanish is clear in context.

Brendan
Jun 11, 2015 Brendan added it
Shelves: obscure-poets
3 1/2
Jane Alberdeston
Jane Alberdeston rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Paula García
Paula García marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Maddy Hughes
Maddy Hughes marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Zacarias Rivera, Jr.
Zacarias Rivera, Jr. rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Dee Dee
Dee Dee rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Ajay Lad
Ajay Lad marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Judith Birmingham
Judith Birmingham rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Elias Lopez
Elias Lopez rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Kevin Bertolero
Kevin Bertolero rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Bethania
Bethania rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Aishe
Aishe marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sandra Cisneros says: “Martín Espada is the Pablo Neruda of North American authors.” Espada was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1957. He has published thirteen books in all as a poet, essayist, editor and translator. His eighth collection of poems, The Republic of Poetry, was published by Norton in October, 2006. Of this new collection, Samuel Hazo writes: "Espada unites in these poems the fierce al ...more
More about Martín Espada...