Start by marking “Night Music” as Want to Read:
Night Music

Night Music

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,387 Ratings  ·  247 Reviews
The Spanish House is known to locals as an architectural folly, and it is now nearly derelict to boot. When its reclusive owner dies intestate the Spanish House is left to his city-dwelling niece. For the recently-widowed Isabel, the house is a potential lifeline. For her neighbour Matt McCarthy, the house is revenge.
Published July 1st 2008 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Night Music, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellIf I Stay by Gayle FormanThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsDaughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini TaylorInsurgent by Veronica Roth
Leituras de 2015 - Portugal
338th out of 2,429 books — 213 voters
The House at Riverton by Kate MortonThe Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz WilliamsOverseas by Beatriz WilliamsThe Nightingale by Kristin HannahLife After Life by Kate Atkinson
If You Like THE WIFE'S TALE...
28th out of 86 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Ferdy
Spoilers

This might have been enjoyable if the main characters hadn't been so thoroughly unlikeable, they were either thick-self-pitying-doormats or weird entitled maniacs. Thankfully the setting at The Spanish House and some of the secondary characters saved it from being a complete trainwreck.

-Isabelle was an infuriating character, I couldn't root for her or feel sorry for her even though she was grieving for her dead husband and her life had turned upside down. She was completely useless, she
Penny
Jun 12, 2014 Penny rated it it was ok
I have read several of Jojo Moyes' novels and have enjoyed them - this one, though, just didnt do it for me. We have a widowed musician and her children. Two men who each like her - one is wealthy, sleeps around and doesnt care about his family, the other is the strong silent type who obviously has a past. His name is 'Byron Firth'!!!! No surprise as to who we are supposed to be going for. Moyes even creates a scene where our boy Firth emerges from swimming in a lake with his muscular torso glea ...more
Gail
Oct 19, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I absolutely devoured this book from the outset. I just loved it, as I do with all Jo Jo Moyes's books.

Initially, my heart totally broke for the delightful Isabel but watching her blossom and heal was just wonderful. I could visualise the ramshackle old house that she subsequently inherits at a totally desperate time of her life and, just when it seems nothing can possibly get worse, it does.

Her neighbours, Laura and Matt, do nothing in the slightest to make her feel welcome to the village; on t
Anne
Dec 20, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
What I really like about Jojo Moyes' books are that they are all so different, she certainly does not write to a formula, each book is very unique.

'Night Music' is a story about 'The Spanish House' - recently inherited by newly widowed Isabel and her two children. The last place they want to be is in an almost derelict house in a close-knit country village. Isabel is a successful violinist who doesn't get her hands dirty, her daughter Kitty is a sensible 15 year old who misses her friends and so
R
Dec 15, 2012 R rated it liked it
This was my second Moyes book - it was nothing like the deep and moving Me Before You. This, while an interesting story, unfortunately veered dangerously close to chick-lit ... And not in a good way. While I didn't like Isabel or Matt - both we're a bit too one-dimensional - the rest of the characters, from Byron to Kitty to the Cousins, seemed more interesting and likeable. And the whole Laura storyline felt like filler to keep this from bring a novella. I'd say this is a great beach read, but ...more
Carolyn Hill
Jun 14, 2015 Carolyn Hill rated it really liked it
I've read most of what's available from Jojo Moyes here in the States, and she's become one of my favorite contemporary authors. (I gravitate towards authors from the British isles.) This novel wasn't published here that I could find, so I bought a used paperback from the U.K. The set-up is one I usually find irresistible: a character inherits an old house in the English countryside. I am very house-centric, and love nothing more than a good story with a house, preferably an old one with lots of ...more
(ツ) Hache
Nov 17, 2014 (ツ) Hache rated it really liked it
Usually I like a book to hook me from the first sentence or even the first chapter but with this it just seemed to drag in the beginning with all the house renovating and the sad widow and her violin playing, it took me about 45-50 % till I was really hooked, so hooked that I couldn't put it down, I got so intrigued and addicted that I read it everywhere I went. I just love it when a book does that to me!

The Story

So it starts off with Laura and Matt McCarthy who live next to Mr pottisworth who
Malia
Jun 13, 2014 Malia rated it really liked it
This was my first Jojo Moyes book, and I intentionally started with an older one, and not the much-lauded ME BEFORE YOU. I have often found books with a lot of hype surrounding them to be a bit disappointing when I get around to reading them, as was also the case with THE HUSBAND'S SECRET by Liane Moriarty. But when I went back to read her older books, I gobbled them up! So, that is the strategy I will employ here, too, I think.
That said, I really did enjoy NIGHT MUSIC. I wasn't sure what to exp
Lainy
Oct 19, 2014 Lainy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - <4 hours

Pages - 416

Blurb from Goodreads

My Review

Matt McCarthy and his wife, Laura, have pampered to their neighbour, taking him meals, cleaning his sheets, l
Barbara Elsborg
Aug 07, 2013 Barbara Elsborg rated it really liked it
Newly widowed mum ends up in derelict house that a local is obsessed with owning. There were lots of interesting characters though I'd have liked more about the love interest of the heroine and less about the wife of the villain. But it kept me reading long into the night. I really like Ms. Moyes style. Lots of lovely detail and good back story with plots that make sense. The writing about the house was fantastic and the violin detail was great too. I've got an urge to get all the books of hers ...more
I have come to absolutely adore the work of author Jojo Moyes. I've only read three of her recent publications though and I was excited to see an earlier work of hers available via audiobook. Night Music follows a few different characters who all have one commonality: a dilapidated house. The synopsis is interesting and Ms. Moyes' writing remains beautiful as always, but the pace felt very slow and I had trouble remaining engaged in the story. I enjoyed the ending so overall, I liked the book.
Cassie Barber
This book is fine, a decent story and some interesting characters (and some rather annoying).
However, while it is a perfectly good read if you want something fairly light, it doesn't live up to the three of her books that I've just read - 'Me before you', 'The last letter from your lover', and 'The girl you left behind', which all pretty much blew me away ('Me before you especially').
As I say, a perfectly good, light-ish read but not one that will stick with you I don't think.
Anne-Marie
Jan 23, 2016 Anne-Marie rated it liked it
As always Jojo Moyes doesn't disappoint. Her storytelling is fab and the characters so well written, ones feels as though they are real.
Isabel was very frustrating initially, not being able to function as a mother, when her children needed her most. By the end the changes in her are enormous. Kitty seems to come off worst, as she has to grow up too quickly to fill the gap her mother's inadequacies create.
Amna
May 24, 2015 Amna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how Jojo Moyes' books have a way of uplifting your spirits. Her characters become alive and you experience the ups and downs of what they go through as you read. I enjoyed it.
Elizabeth Moffat
Sep 08, 2015 Elizabeth Moffat rated it liked it
Three and a half stars from me!

A while ago I set myself the challenge to read all of Jojo Moyes back catalogue after reading such gems such as Me Before You and The Girl You Left Behind. Night Music is the next on my list and was first published in 2008. Unlike a lot of Moyes’ work, it does not have both a contemporary and a historical section but has a multitude of characters to get to grips with and, as always, I found the characterisation to be near perfect. As the novel opens, we are introdu
Cleo Bannister
Isabel Delancey’s husband Laurent is killed in a car crash and for the first time in her life she has to provide both emotionally and financially for their two children, the teenage Kitty and her younger brother Thierry. After a visit from the lawyer Isabel realises that she is going to have to move house.

Meanwhile in Norfolk a house becomes vacant at just the right time and Isabel moves her family from London to the depths of the country and a derelict house. Matt and Laura McCarthy are her nei
Susan
Dec 18, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012books
The Spanish House has been untouched for decades when it is inherited by Isabel Delancey, a widow with two children. Forced out of London and into its semi-derelict isolation, she is still mourning her husband, and struggles to cope. When Matt McCarthy, the builder next door, offers to help with repairs, she accepts gratefully. But Matt has a hidden agenda, having waited for the house for a decade. As does his wife, Laura, who sees it as a way of rebuilding her family. Nicholas Trent, a property ...more
Doreen
Jan 21, 2015 Doreen rated it liked it
i didn't like it at first. i found the beginning to be draggy and at times isabel was getting under my nerves.
the title should be known as the spanish house as the story revolved around this ghastly house. one can be surprised to find that a house can tell so many stories about several people and that include those people who are not staying in that house!
as the story progresses, i am glad i did not shelf this book as DNF.
Tracey Mcd
Dec 28, 2015 Tracey Mcd rated it liked it
I really didn't like Isabel for much of this book and it impacted how I viewed the book. I realized that's what a good author can do -can make you feel strongly about a character, either positive or not. In many ways, this is a typical chick lit in terms of story. So don't read it for the plot but enjoy how JM weaves a character.
Debbie
Aug 03, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
Great book! Loved the twists and the unexpected turns. The ending was perfect, although I did want her to know what his worth was and what he was doing for her. Maybe that's real love, when you can sacrifice and give without the other person knowing? What do I know?
Liza Wiemer
I listend to the audiobook of NIGHT MUSIC and I have to say it had me anxious to find out what would happen. The characters were fascinating. Matt was an absolute nightmare jerk and I held my breath a few times to find out what he was going to do Isabel, the widow and owner of the house Matt coveted. Well, let me tell you, readers and listeners will be on the edge waiting to see what happens. Love is also in the air. The teens in this novel are awesome. The adults are less sensible.

I'm glad I li
Melinda Elizabeth
May 24, 2014 Melinda Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This book was great, I loved the small country town vibe and the typical characters you would expect in a place where not a lot goes on. Except for when old Mr Pottisworth dies, then there's plenty to get tongues wagging in the town!

Isabelle's husband has left her a load of debts and nothing to pay them with. She's the quintessential musician, who lives in a very small, precious world where she plays a 300,000 violin and her children are cared for by a nanny.

She's got stacks of bills on the ta
Rouselle
Mar 30, 2014 Rouselle rated it liked it
Isabel Delancey has just lost her husband to a car crash, and their family is still reeling from his loss when she realizes that he has left her with more debts and basically no money to keep their London home and their comfortable lifestyle. And then one day she receives a letter telling her that a great grand uncle has left her a house in the suburbs.

Laura McCarthy has been looking after old Mr Pottisworth for years now, taking care of his daily needs and tending to whatever she could in the
Kimberly Parreño
Feb 21, 2016 Kimberly Parreño rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book; mainly because I couldn't connect with any character, which is ironic since it has many. I find the transition between the characters' points of view subtle and the tones, most of the time - if not always - similar, which is very confusing that I find myself backtracking for a few sentences to know whose narrative it was.

I didn't find myself liking any one of the main characters, like Lauren (though her introduction was very promising, the next chapters fr
Danielle
After reading Me Before You I was determined to read another book by Jojo Moyes. This was one of her earlier books, and it wasn't nearly as polished as Me Before You. It was a bit trashy in places, which I don't enjoy at all, but overall it was a good read with a surprise ending that wrapped everything up to my satisfaction.
Cara Meredith
Jul 14, 2014 Cara Meredith rated it really liked it
A great summer read - Moyes keeps her readers on their toes!
Dila
Sep 15, 2015 Dila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
2:30 p.m. Eyes begging for sleep, brain angrily resisting to accept any other read words, but noooooo! I HAVE TO READ IT! Otherwise neither dream will see me nor I a dream :D

And I did it. I finished it.

This book is great in so many ways. Where do I even start?

First, family. This book has undoubtely reminded me of those sides of this really complicated concept that I've been barely thinking for a while. It reminded me that it's never too late to restore something that seemed irrevocably broken a
The Luke
Mar 13, 2016 The Luke rated it liked it
Shelves: digital
Es un libro bastante indeferente, asi como llegó se fue y no dejó nada.
En un pricipio Isabel era insoportable por poco resolutiva que era, pero es agradable ver como se convierte en un persona menos insoportable al final. La descripcion que da Nicholas de ella es todalmente acertada, los hombre se sienten atraidos hacia ella porque es como una niña indefensa y siente la necesidad de protegerla.
Y hablando de Nicholas me dio muicha pena por él y Laura, me pareció totalmente injusto como terminaron
Mishma
Dec 29, 2015 Mishma rated it it was ok
Well,truth to be told,this book actually made me want to keep it down and move on to another one.I've enjoyed Moyes' Silver Bay and I expected a bit more from this book.
But at the same time it was not so bad or something like that.I am sure people who love the typical family type of books will love it.
Night Music was just not to me.
Yvette
Aug 26, 2014 Yvette rated it it was amazing
Ship of brides on the surface looked like it was going to be a boring read, but as most of Jo Jo Moyes books it takes time to build a story the whole journey the women had to endure most of us would shudder at, even when the dog died I shed a tear, Moyes has a way of evoking emotion from the reader, as the story bounces forward to one of the characters lives it does become a little confusing (well for me) but it does all fall into place eventually, I have to say the research Moyes must have done ...more
Thoughts on this book? Too much adultery? 1 19 Oct 21, 2012 07:06AM
  • Mister Gregory
  • El penúltimo sueño
  • The Blue Mile
  • Secrets and Shadows
  • A Marca de Kushiel (Kushiel, #2)
  • Becoming Scarlett
  • Dust of the Land
  • The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
  • Blood Sisters
  • Uma Mansão na Bruma
  • Till We Meet Again
  • The Bells of Bournville Green
  • The Long Weekend
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar
More about Jojo Moyes...

“You are the one honest thing I've done in my whole life.” 1 likes
“[...] man kann Menschen nicht dafür bestrafen, dass sie Menschen sind.” 0 likes