The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  659 ratings  ·  64 reviews
The Tao of Equus considers the mystical nature of horses and the magical connection between horses and humans. Equine therapist Linda Kohanov tells of an extraordinary spiritual awakening she experienced with her black mare, Rasa. This incident led her to investigate the apparent metaphysical as well as scientific aspects of the human-horse bond. Using neurological researc...more
Published August 7th 2001 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Equus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Equus

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
45th out of 743 books — 414 voters
The Man Who Listens to Horses by Monty RobertsThe Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration by Vera NazarianThe Wizard of Us by Jean HoustonIshmael by Daniel QuinnGrowth Shock by Robert Fanney
Transformative Books
8th out of 16 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Kamisha
I really enjoyed this book and the message that the author got across about horses and animals in general. I think you really have to spend an extended amount of time with horses to understand where she's coming from at times, but for someone who loves horses and spends a lot of time with them I could really relate to a lot of what she talked about. A few things were a bit out there but as I got further into the book, I found myself believing that even some of the most extreme experiences she ta...more
Pete
Jul 12, 2014 Pete rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horse
The Tao of Equus:, by Linda Kohanov, is one of my favorite books to describe the bond between horses and people. The extended title A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse is extraordinarily true to life. I have witnessed this many times with both gals and guys, but Linda’s leanings toward better results with gals is also a valid statement. Her telling of her story was great.

Rural medical practice and natural horsemanship gave me unique tools to generate solu...more
Letitia
Let me preface this review by saying I'm very sympathetic to the idea of it. I believe that animals have a soul, I believe in spiritual communication, I believe in animal rights, am a vegetarian, etc. I love horses, and find them one of the most beautiful, intelligent, spiritually attuned beings on earth.

That said, this book is horrible. While the writing is not unreadable, the book ends up feeling more like the author's self-serving attempt to convince you how awesome she is for having these in...more
This was one of the most horrible books it has been my displeasure to read. I am very open to the idea of the mystical and healing relationship with horses, and natural horsemanship. I have had horses my entire life and know first hand their ability to read emotional states. However, I am thoroughly sick and tired of natural horsemanship practitioners taking advantage of people new to the horse industry or people who have had bad experiences and are now timid or scared. Their marketing scemes ar...more
Dominic Buscemi
Just our of this world. Linda knows her horses. When I read a blurb on the book, saying that the Author felt as though Horse were highly evolved spiritual beings, I knew right then that this was a book for me. I have always felt that why. This book explains why. Loved and looking very much to some of her other releases coming out by the same publisher. I believe one is a photography Coffee Table book. I'm sure it'll be spectacular.
Julie
Linda Kohanov has been through a healing journey personally and with horses and wants to tell everyone about the wonder of it. While I agree that there is a human animal bond that defies conventional explanations she tends to stretch logic a tad. Reads like a college thesis.
Julia
THis book led me back to horses and gave me the courage I needed to begin riding again at 55.
DreamPacker
I struggled a little at first with this book. I loved the horse stories, but got mired in some of the science and history. Not that it was boring—far from it, but I am a speed reader. I can speed read a novel at a thousand words a minute. This book did not lend itself easily to that. I found myself wishing I had my own copy (which will be shortly remedied, as this is DEFINITELY a book I want to own) so I could highlight and take notes.
Big sigh…..I do not know how to even come close writing a “r...more
Amber
This book brought up some huge questions for me. She talks about being able to commune with her ancestors, and in anything I've ever heard spirits are bad. But this book brought me to this question: is it possible that there are good spirits? And if there are: is it really possible to communicate with them? This is an open-minded view of this book. A skeptic would definitely put it down after the first two or three chapters saying, "this woman is out of her mind," or "this is bs," or something...more
Sue
Parts of this book I loved. Parts of this book I could barely get through! I did not care for the author's belief that she had direct communication with all of histories 'horse ancestors'. I also looked for her credentials as a counselor and could not find any information to that effect so it bothered me a bit that it appeared she was giving psychotherapy to her clients but is not actually a therapist. At the time I read this I was working as an 'equine specialist' with a mental health professio...more
Winston
Alternate perspective, highlighting the feeling-intuitive, being sensitive to the reality that animals are living beings not machines, they think and feel on a simple level, they can intuit and can be a great source of healing through animal therapy. Author proposes some highly new concepts to the UN-initiated in terms of recognizing the spiritual dimension of connecting and communing with horses. Some may find it too out there even new age and blasphemous if Christian. However she praises Chris...more
Beth
I bought this book because the theory sounded interesting. I was not disappointed throughout the first half of the book. Kohanov drew me into the story about she and her horses, her own budding spirituality, and the strength she saw bloom between others and their horses. It was touching and inspiring. However the second half of the book did not appeal to me very much, and became so difficult to trudge through that I ended up putting it down without completing the book. While I'm sure the second...more
Ingrid
While I enjoyed the approach to horses in this book, advocating much empathy and respect for them, I found the spiritual & mystical elements of the book rather far-fetched. If you love horses, it's worth a read. But be prepared to take what you like and leave the rest.
Amanda
I wanted to like this book. I really did. As a person who currently conducts equine assisted psychotherapy, I was hoping that Kohanov's book would give me some tips and insight into the different sessions that she conducts. Instead, I ended up with a pseudoscience book that waxes on the "collective conscious" that all animals supposedly have and how she was amazingly able to tap into this and suddenly understands just about everything that horses do. I've got news for you, Kohanov, it's called n...more
Jessica Dwyer
Donna
an amazing well written and extensive writing about horses and their universal energy and healing that Linda has learned to use in her clinics and her own equine centre. This is about equines and how they can teach people to rid of past baggage and current psychological issues through the assistance of psychologists and therapists and Linda's expertise and knowledge on connecting and learning from her own horses and others. I love horses and this book was a long extensive read but well worth it!
Cosmic Sher
I loved this book and it was very timely for me to read. Her ability to describe/explain the spirituality, history and science behind our relationship with horses was exceptional. I believe she is daring in telling her stories because they are unconventional and not 'reasonable' but come from a deep spiritual/emotional side of her that I applaud her for. This book has helped further my search for the mystical, as well as shown a different perspective on our relationships with animals.
Kris
Compelling and somewhat annoying all at the same time. Was very close to putting it down initially but then continued on. I was surprised to find I got some interesting insights from the book, but for the non open minded this book is a real stretch. I used it as a test to see how far I could stretch. As a trainer I read horses and people all the time. It just shows you how far removed from are own species we humans really are..... We need another one to help us figure it out.
Christina Richardson
I am ambivalent about much of it, but feel very connected to some stories.
Mo
In this book, Kohanov describes how she came to work as an equine assisted therapist and what horses have meant for her and her clients throughout the years. This is a beautiful book. Although it contains lots of information on various subjects, it's fairly easy to read. I'm not altogether convinced by some of the scientific bits, but still it's a beautiful story and it's lovely to read what horses can do for humans - and the other way around.
Kim
Excellent book, no matter what your spiritual beliefs are there is something for everyone. I don't think this is just a book for horse lovers but also those that work with human victims of trauma. I've read through it once and will definately be reading though it again to underline and pull things out to use in my practice with people or horses as well as things that I wish to research further.
Ashley
The individual stories of the healing power and connection between horses and humans made me cry. Definitely a book that encourages one to look behind the curtain of the mundane and see the mystery in the small connections available to us with other humans, animals and nature. She lifted a veil to help one see the magic and mystery that surrounds us if we are just aware and open to it.
Janet Cagle

I did not like the writers style of writing although the subject was compelling. I think she stretched her facts a little and all the mystic stuff was too weird for me to appreciate but she did hit a home run with her narrations on the physical and essence of being with a horse. Worth a read if you like fantasy and dream reading. Not worth a read if that annoys you.
Eli
I wanted to like this book so, so badly. As someone who runs Equine Assisted Therapy groups, I was wanting to connect and be inspired. I was wanting to love it.

I found it wishy-washy, heavy going and poorly structured. I have no patience for literature on equine therapy that buries the magic of it - just as it is - under mystical and baseless text. Very disappointing.
The author portrayed some incredibly powerful anecdotes and poignant insights. Her writing style is beautiful and poetic- almost hypnotic. However, I felt that the author's indulgence in describing her sense of personal spirituality contaminated some of the most moving and beautiful realities of human-equine interaction.
Stacie
This book had great stories of people and their horses. I did not really enjoy when the book would go off subject to the Greek god stories, history of the Tao, etc. I found myself easily distracted while reading these parts. The author should have kept to the main focus of the horses and their owners stories!
Beth Wright
Fabulous! I've read this multiple times. Relates the behavior of horses to human psychology and presents case studies of horse/human relations that have been proven to heal. Kohanov has excellent research skills and takes time to explain her results to both average and advanced readers.I highly recommend this book.
Denise
Brain research. Visions. Success stories. Horses.

What else do you need in a book?

Seriously fascinating, even if you feel the need to skip the parts that feel mystical. Which, of course, I did not.
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • Centered Riding
  • Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II: Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • The Horse God Built
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Horseplay
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
Riding Between the Worlds: Expanding Our Potential Through the Way of the Horse Way of the Horse: Equine Archetypes for Self-Discovery - A Book of Exploration and 40 Cards The Power of the Herd: Building Social Intelligence, Visionary Leadership, and Authentic Community through the Way of the Horse Hope . . . From the Heart of Horses: How Horses Teach Us About Presence, Strength, and Awareness The Power of the Herd: A Nonpredatory Approach to Social Intelligence, Leadership, and Innovation

“take a deep breath. Keep your body fully in the present and your mind in the recent future. Don't let the past get in your way.” 11 likes