This Side of Peace: A Personal Account

This Side of Peace: A Personal Account

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  12 reviews
As the spokesperson for the Palestinians in the Occupied Territories, Hanan Mikhail-Ashrawi has become the most recognized and most articulate voice of their struggle. The world turns to her to make sense of the often conflicting attempts at peace in the Middle East as much for her clarity and vision as for her actions and experience. When the intifada began, Hanan Mikhail...more
Published June 5th 1996 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 1995)

Bakari
This Side of Peace is a memoir by Hanan Mikhail Ashrawi, who was a key spokesperson for the Palestinians in the Israeli controlled territories, primarily in the 80s and 90s. I remember seeing her a number of times on the ABC Nightline and I liked how she articulated the struggles of her people. I purchased This Side of Peace back in ‘95, but I never really got around to reading it back then.

Much of her story is similar to what I read in a biography of Yassar Arafat, but her story focuses on her...more
Andrea
Although this was written almost 15 yrs ago, it's still very interesting & unfortunately, timely, as the Palestinian/Israeli conflict drags on.
Dr. Ashrawi is a distant cousin...her father and my maternal grandmother were 1st cousins.
As expected there is a definite bias toward the Palestinian cause for statehood, however, there is also a realistic perspective of what each side needs to give in order to attain peace.
cory
One woman's story of her involvement in official negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian delegation in the 80's and 90's. Not the most well-written but very insightful in terms of the situation faced by Palestinians in and outside the farce called the "peace process" and internal dynamics among Palestinian elites. A very interesting book but don't make it the only one you read about Palestine.
Cat
If you have never read a Palestinian perspective on the strife in Israel/Palestine, this is one book you should read. Hanan Ashrawi is a Christian who has been eloquently speaking out for decades. Elegantly written, this is a personalized account of the conflict that will change the way you think about this troubled area of the world.
Jarrodtrainque
From the world-recognized leader of the Palestinians comes an inside view of Arafat and of the secret negotiations and last-minute decisions that led to the Oslo Peace Talks. "A revealing document of a partisan who has helped make Middle East history".--Publishers Weekly.
Jen.
Powerful!!! This was a required reading for an International Studies course. I'm the type of person who wants both sides, I crave it. This book provided that and gave a viewpoint that isn't portrayed in the media. A viewpoint that shows there needs to be peace.
Jim
A Palestinian negotiator's account of her experiences with the 1993 Israeli/Palestinian peace negotiations. A little dry in places, but it was still interesting to read about the events from a different perspective than what we usually get here in America.
Cory
Mar 22, 2009 Cory rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Hanan is a famous Christian Palestinian who presents her side of the conflict with Israel. What an eye-opener! The info presented to Americans (and maybe even Canadians) is completely skewed and biased. Check out ifamericansknew.org to see the distortions.
It was more about the details of peace negotiations and less about personal experience than I expected. For a detailed review see: http://booksandmiscellany.wordpress.c....
Steven Salaita
I read this one many years ago. It's a nice mixture of memoir, analysis, commentary, and diplomatic history.
Lila Howard
I just happen to be related to Hanan and I celebrate her strength and character!
Jen Roe
I really admire this woman
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Arda Aghazarian
Arda Aghazarian marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Allison Henry
Allison Henry marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Nikki Mohamed
Nikki Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Emily Mentz
Emily Mentz marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Laura added it
May 13, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Ida
Ida marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Maria Baginska
Maria Baginska marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Kelly A McDermott
Kelly A McDermott marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Molko
Molko added it
Feb 09, 2014
Edward Smith
Edward Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Deze Kant Van De Vrede - Memoires Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Isr?l (California Series in Public Anthropology) Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel