Start by marking “This Side of Peace: A Personal Account” as Want to Read:
This Side of Peace: A Personal Account

This Side of Peace: A Personal Account

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
As the spokesperson for the Palestinians in the Occupied Territories, Hanan Mikhail-Ashrawi has become the most recognized and most articulate voice of their struggle. The world turns to her to make sense of the often conflicting attempts at peace in the Middle East as much for her clarity and vision as for her actions and experience. When the intifada began, Hanan Mikhail ...more
Published June 5th 1996 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about This Side of Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side of Peace

Bakari
Aug 01, 2010 Bakari rated it really liked it
This Side of Peace is a memoir by Hanan Mikhail Ashrawi, who was a key spokesperson for the Palestinians in the Israeli controlled territories, primarily in the 80s and 90s. I remember seeing her a number of times on the ABC Nightline and I liked how she articulated the struggles of her people. I purchased This Side of Peace back in ‘95, but I never really got around to reading it back then.

Much of her story is similar to what I read in a biography of Yassar Arafat, but her story focuses on her
Andrea
Jun 28, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this was written almost 15 yrs ago, it's still very interesting & unfortunately, timely, as the Palestinian/Israeli conflict drags on.
Dr. Ashrawi is a distant cousin...her father and my maternal grandmother were 1st cousins.
As expected there is a definite bias toward the Palestinian cause for statehood, however, there is also a realistic perspective of what each side needs to give in order to attain peace.
cory
Oct 08, 2007 cory rated it really liked it
One woman's story of her involvement in official negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian delegation in the 80's and 90's. Not the most well-written but very insightful in terms of the situation faced by Palestinians in and outside the farce called the "peace process" and internal dynamics among Palestinian elites. A very interesting book but don't make it the only one you read about Palestine.
Cat
Jul 29, 2008 Cat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-non-fiction
If you have never read a Palestinian perspective on the strife in Israel/Palestine, this is one book you should read. Hanan Ashrawi is a Christian who has been eloquently speaking out for decades. Elegantly written, this is a personalized account of the conflict that will change the way you think about this troubled area of the world.
Jarrodtrainque
From the world-recognized leader of the Palestinians comes an inside view of Arafat and of the secret negotiations and last-minute decisions that led to the Oslo Peace Talks. "A revealing document of a partisan who has helped make Middle East history".--Publishers Weekly.
Jen.
Jun 28, 2010 Jen. rated it it was amazing
Powerful!!! This was a required reading for an International Studies course. I'm the type of person who wants both sides, I crave it. This book provided that and gave a viewpoint that isn't portrayed in the media. A viewpoint that shows there needs to be peace.
Jim
Aug 24, 2009 Jim rated it liked it
A Palestinian negotiator's account of her experiences with the 1993 Israeli/Palestinian peace negotiations. A little dry in places, but it was still interesting to read about the events from a different perspective than what we usually get here in America.
Cory
Mar 22, 2009 Cory rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Hanan is a famous Christian Palestinian who presents her side of the conflict with Israel. What an eye-opener! The info presented to Americans (and maybe even Canadians) is completely skewed and biased. Check out ifamericansknew.org to see the distortions.
Oct 08, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
It was more about the details of peace negotiations and less about personal experience than I expected. For a detailed review see: http://booksandmiscellany.wordpress.c....
Lila Howard
Jun 02, 2013 Lila Howard rated it it was amazing
I just happen to be related to Hanan and I celebrate her strength and character!
Jen Roe
Aug 06, 2011 Jen Roe rated it it was amazing
I really admire this woman
Deb H
Deb H added it
Jun 05, 2016
Habiba Maher
Habiba Maher marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Rania
Rania added it
May 07, 2016
Amani Zunni
Amani Zunni marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Geri
Geri is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2016
John Forman
John Forman marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Salim Soukieh
Salim Soukieh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Mali
Mali rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Jodie
Jodie marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Shahd
Shahd marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
A
A rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015