Start by marking “This Side of Peace: A Personal Account” as Want to Read:
This Side of Peace: A Personal Account

This Side of Peace: A Personal Account

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
As the spokesperson for the Palestinians in the Occupied Territories, Hanan Mikhail-Ashrawi has become the most recognized and most articulate voice of their struggle. The world turns to her to make sense of the often conflicting attempts at peace in the Middle East as much for her clarity and vision as for her actions and experience. When the intifada began, Hanan Mikhail ...more
Published June 5th 1996 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about This Side of Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side of Peace

This Side of Peace is a memoir by Hanan Mikhail Ashrawi, who was a key spokesperson for the Palestinians in the Israeli controlled territories, primarily in the 80s and 90s. I remember seeing her a number of times on the ABC Nightline and I liked how she articulated the struggles of her people. I purchased This Side of Peace back in ‘95, but I never really got around to reading it back then.

Much of her story is similar to what I read in a biography of Yassar Arafat, but her story focuses on her
Although this was written almost 15 yrs ago, it's still very interesting & unfortunately, timely, as the Palestinian/Israeli conflict drags on.
Dr. Ashrawi is a distant cousin...her father and my maternal grandmother were 1st cousins.
As expected there is a definite bias toward the Palestinian cause for statehood, however, there is also a realistic perspective of what each side needs to give in order to attain peace.
One woman's story of her involvement in official negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian delegation in the 80's and 90's. Not the most well-written but very insightful in terms of the situation faced by Palestinians in and outside the farce called the "peace process" and internal dynamics among Palestinian elites. A very interesting book but don't make it the only one you read about Palestine.
If you have never read a Palestinian perspective on the strife in Israel/Palestine, this is one book you should read. Hanan Ashrawi is a Christian who has been eloquently speaking out for decades. Elegantly written, this is a personalized account of the conflict that will change the way you think about this troubled area of the world.
From the world-recognized leader of the Palestinians comes an inside view of Arafat and of the secret negotiations and last-minute decisions that led to the Oslo Peace Talks. "A revealing document of a partisan who has helped make Middle East history".--Publishers Weekly.
Powerful!!! This was a required reading for an International Studies course. I'm the type of person who wants both sides, I crave it. This book provided that and gave a viewpoint that isn't portrayed in the media. A viewpoint that shows there needs to be peace.
A Palestinian negotiator's account of her experiences with the 1993 Israeli/Palestinian peace negotiations. A little dry in places, but it was still interesting to read about the events from a different perspective than what we usually get here in America.
Mar 22, 2009 Cory rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Hanan is a famous Christian Palestinian who presents her side of the conflict with Israel. What an eye-opener! The info presented to Americans (and maybe even Canadians) is completely skewed and biased. Check out to see the distortions.
It was more about the details of peace negotiations and less about personal experience than I expected. For a detailed review see: http://booksandmiscellany.wordpress.c....
Lila Howard
I just happen to be related to Hanan and I celebrate her strength and character!
Jen Roe
I really admire this woman
Lilian added it
Sep 14, 2015
Khalid Almoghrabi
Khalid Almoghrabi marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Elizabeth De Jamis
Elizabeth De Jamis marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Chloe Simpson
Chloe Simpson marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Cari added it
Jun 04, 2015
Manal Ramadan
Manal Ramadan marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Alex marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Soraya marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Lori Johnson
Lori Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Ruth marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Sky marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Deze Kant Van De Vrede - Memoires Ich bin in Palästina geboren Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Isr?l (California Series in Public Anthropology) Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel