Start by marking “Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)

Cherry Bomb (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #6)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,990 ratings  ·  246 reviews
At the end of Fuzzy Navel, J. A. Konrath surprised readers with an agonizing cliff-hanger: One of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels's loved ones is dead. But who Readers were left clamoring to know more.

Cherry Bomb, the sixth Jack Daniels mystery, opens at the funeral. While Jack stands graveside, tears in her eyes, her cell phone rings. It's the killer, escaped maniac

Published June 1st 2009 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Bomb

Unthinkable Consequences by Bob RectorGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueSticks and Stones by Veronica LovejoyNocturne, Opus 1 by Norene MoskalskiThe Blink of Her Eye by Angelica Thaddeus
Not to be missed
14th out of 27 books — 26 voters
To Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben PellerAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerJoe Perk by Jim YoakumSyrah by Nessa L. WarinAfter All Is Said and Done - A Novel of Infidelity, Healing, ... by Belinda G. Buchanan
Books with Drinks on the Cover
44th out of 68 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
2.5 starts. Another typical Jack Daniels mystery, without the mystery. Before I picked up the book, I knew it was going to be about Alex & 3 of 6 about the same psycho just gets old. I was pretty sure I knew what the basic plot would be & was right, so there were no shockers overall. Specifics were pretty good though. The monkey had me chortling at times, but I have a very low sense of humor, so be warned.

I'm fairly sure where the series has to go from here, but I think I'm done, at leas
Ami
AARGH!!! Why did I keep torturing myself with this series? I know that I will never give it more than 3 stars, not after the repetitive serial killer theme and one of the most irritating characters I have EVER read. Still, it's a crack, and I can't seem to stop.

So the focus here is the showdown of Jack and Alex, yeah, Alex kills more people, (view spoiler), and Jack is determined to end this once and
Monnie
Quite honestly, I had a hard time trying to decide whether this book deserves four stars or five. Finally, I decided to go whole hog simply because the heroine, Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels, rids herself (and future readers) of one of the villains who has been dogging her through several previous books. Frankly, it's about time. Although the action is fast-paced, the plots are well thought out and I've had a hard time putting down any of Konrath's books including this one, watching Daniels get ...more
Leise Chadwick
I just finished Cherry Bomb and I am thoroughly disappointed. Upon reading the Introduction by Author JA Konrath, I decided this would be my last Jack Daniels novel. I’ll miss Jack. Konrath told more then I needed to know prior to beginning this novel.

In the end of Fuzzy Navel you are left wondering which character met their demise. When the victim was revealed in Cherry Bomb it was not who I expected, and wished it had been anyone else. Things proceeded downhill after that revelation. Then I b
Kimberly
Honestly, one of my favorite Jack Daniels' novels in the series. I won't give any spoilers for those who have been following this series, but only some basic comments on what I liked about this one.

The characters: obviously, as a series, we've seen these characters grown in various ways throughout this journey. Konrath remains true to their individual identities, and the changes or events taking place in their lives are completely in tune with what we, as readers, have come to expect.

The pacing:
Mike French
More like 3 1/2 start. Started out great, but became weirder as it went along. Also, too much senseless violence.
Laurie
Cherry Bomb was a fast-paced thrill ride that left me more satisfied than a drink of the same name. Jack Daniels is back and her nemesis Alexandra Kork has returned to finish the job undone in Fuzzy Navel. As Jack stands at graveside, her cell phone rings and Alex is leading the chase again. People are dying while Jack is forced to slowly track down the victims before their time runs out. The quest becomes personal when Alan, Jack's ex, and Herb are at risk. As time runs out, Jack is forced to p ...more
Darcy
This series is like a car crash for me, one that I can't help but to look at even though it drives me nuts. I think these books are just ok, but for some reason I can't quite bring myself to stop reading them and I am not sure why. Jack is only mildly interesting, and most of the other characters just grate on my last sane nerve with their stupid actions (like getting a monkey???? Really come on!).

This time around Jack is just not herself, she is recovering from her fiance's death and still bei
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Amazing! I loved this whole series! I'm thinking I liked it better than the Stephanie Plum books. This book has the serial killer from hell returning..along with all the characters I've grown to love. Plus a monkey that had me laughing so hard I thought I would pee myself. A Plus all the way!
Jenn
Julie
So, I started this book SUPREMELY ANNOYED that I was tricked into reading it just to find out who died at the end of the last book. (Yeah, I could have just Wikipedia-ed it... but... it was right there.....)

That was a cheap enough trick. Then, yet again, it's STILL THE SAME BADDIE from the previous book. JUST DIE ALREADY, PLEASE. FOR REALS THIS TIME. Meanwhile, Jack's having all kinds of existential crises about her love life, her career, her friends, her family.... and everyone is still being s
William Bentrim
Cherry Bomb by J.A. Konrath

Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey is satisfying, not my favorite but satisfying. Jack Daniels the book character is a hard nosed female detective tracking a psychopathic serial killer out to destroy all who Jack loves.

Apparently in a previous book, Jack had incarcerated and disfigured Alex while killing her only love. Alex took this amiss and that is her rationale for her demented behavior.

I have only read one other Konrath book and this one was even more violent than
Mylene
Jun 01, 2013 Mylene rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Looking for a new author? This is the one for all adventure/thriller/horror lovers.
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
What a terrific series!!!!!
I wanted to give this novel 5 stars but I found the final scene with Alex to be a complete letdown. It seemed entirely unrealistic to have a character like Alex, with such a brilliant criminal mind who planned every move, to be so easily outwitted by Jack in the last showdown.
Beyond that, this was your typical page-turning, roller coaster romp that we've all come to expect from Konrath. I also love that he finally introduced a relationship between Jack and Phineas (wh
Bob
Jack Daniels is going head to head with an old nemesis who is on a rampage targeting Jack's friends and co workers. Because the killings and threats are so close to Jack, she is taken off the case and has resorted to getting help from her old partner and another friend who is wanted by the FBI for a bank robbery. Lots of scrambling around and near missis as well as change for Jack by the end.
Larry
This series isn't great literature, it will probably not rank in the ranks of best ever anything lists. But if that's your only criteria for giving a book four stars, then you're reading for the wrong reasons.

The characters are interesting, they stay in..well, in character, and the stories keep you turning the pages.
Diana Gotsch
This is the last book in this series. Which is good because it is the last one I would have read even if it wasn't. The series was always violent. It is about serial killers after all. But this was just one violent scene after another. Which for me at least was way too much. Added to that was the long detailed sex scene that rivaled anything I've read in a romance novel. Might have been OK if it not come out on nowhere and included a character who just buried a lover. There was a side story abou ...more
Lokki
I have to say that I was really glad I already had Cherry Bomb on my TBR shelf when I finished the last page of the previous book, Fuzzy Navel. Talk about a cliffhanger. And while I was sure I knew what happened, I was more than happy to just pick up where Konrad left off and continue on in this great series.

As I said, this book basically picks up right where we left off. Jack must face off against Alex one more time and no one Jack cares about is safe. If this is the last Jack book (which I hav
Jeffrey
Y
BJ
This was my least favorite in this series, so far. This author should stick to writing the police murder mystery/serial killer stories and stay away from the sex scenes! I have read the first 5 books in this series and enjoyed them and I liked the character of Jack Daniels as a sometimes over-dedicated cop. Not so much the out of control, over the line, on the run vigalante in this installment.
Peg
The first couple of books in this series were pretty good. I've continued reading them because on my Kindle they're free. The last book, Fuzzy Navel, was pretty bad and this one wasn't much better. There are too many unrealistic killings and not much of the action is believable. In earlier books Harry was pretty funny but now he's plain silly and having him get a monkey didn't work for me.
Georgiann Hennelly
excellant book real pg turner sad to see who died . loved harrys new partner hehe. laughed so hard i cried.. the ending was a real surprise to me. hope there is a sequel . but i won,t ruin the book for others. and say want happens. just buy cherry bomb and be prepared for some laughs and horror maybe a little gore. i diffenetly recommend this book along with all the ones before it.
Gloria Bernal
Having read them all so far I think I am at a good stopping point. They seem to be pretty much all the same. If you read Fuzzy Navel, the one preceding this installment, you were left with a cliff-hanger, so you had to read this one to find out which one of Jack's close "people" gets offed. Unfortunately, in this one she is still chasing an old nemesis, introduced in a previous novel, and loses another person close to her in a violent manner to her nemesis, Alex. The crimes are sick and ugly, bu ...more
Mary Drew
Dec 19, 2009 Mary Drew rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Mary Drew by: judged it by its cover
I had hopes for this book: a female cop in a series, with each book named after a drink, and the cop named Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels. Sounded clever, sounded funny, But no, they're not funny, and the violence is non-stop and gratuitous. Ugh. Didn't even attempt to finish it.
Jacqueline King
Infinite stars.

I've said it a thousand times but J.A. Konrath/ Jack Kilborn can do no wrong. He's books are just begging to be made into action-packed epic movies. Fantastic, what a showdown! Surprisingly loved the ending, good choice Jack.
Toni Osborne
Book 6, in the Jack Daniels Mystery

This series has to be read in sequence to understand how ridiculously it evolves throughout its progress. Definitely the stories are not to be taken seriously but rather for they humour and the evil plotting that keep going over the top at every turn.

At the end of “Fuzzy Navel” (book 5) Mr. Konrath left us with one of Jack’s loved one dead. Plainly letting us hanging like that, what an amazing way to lure us towards its sequel….

If you take this series for what
Debbie J
OMG, this book.

I wanted to throw a gigantic Cherry Bomb at the continuing villain who’s starting to resemble the Terminator. Only a freaking cyborg could be as relentless and seemingly unstoppable.

In the sixth Detective Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels outing, author JA Konrath’s taut narrative yet again excels at winding up the reader and then pounding them with unimaginable violence.

However, the brutal collateral damage to Jack's friends and family disgusted me. (view spoiler)
Leslie
I am sick to death of Alex. I love Konrath's style and dialogue but this was not the bomb for me. A tad too bloody and I hated the monkey !!!!
Michele Seigfried
While this book is #6 in the series, you don't need to read the others to understand what is going on. This book stands alone very well. I've only read one other book in the series, and I'm reading them in no particular order. Konrath does a great job of explaining background information clearly and concisely. This book was just as action packed as the last one I read, Dirty Martini. I found myself reading quickly and wanting to keep turning the pages to find out what happened. I would consider ...more
Dugger
Struggled to get through this one.
  • Truck Stop
  • Locked Doors (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite Series, Book 2)
  • The Blue Hour
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Timecaster
  • Hush
  • Anatomy (Harbinger Mystery, #0.5)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Shot of Tequila (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6.5)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • With A Twist (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8.5)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1) Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2) Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4) Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3) Origin

“Fate is a future you didn't try hard enough ti change. If you want things to go your way, being smart and being strong are helpful, but you still have to work your ass off.” 1 likes
“The truth is, she has no idea how many have died at her hands. It’s like counting the number of times you’ve had sex. Maybe you can remember the first fifty. After that, everything becomes a blur.” 0 likes