Start by marking “Orfe” as Want to Read:

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Love stories aren't about how they end."A chance meeting on a street corner with her childhood friend Orfe plunges Enny into the tough world of popular music. As Orfe's business manager, Enny sees Orfe and her band, the three Graces, arrive at the brink of success -- and watches Orfe's dangerous obsession with Yuri.

Yuri, with his black, tightly curled hair that hangs like
Published February 1st 2002 by Simon Pulse (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Orfe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orfe

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowrySpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Teen Novels of the 90s
47th out of 152 books — 61 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierGood Omens by Terry PratchettThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteElla Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Myth and Folktale Retellings
140th out of 389 books — 376 voters

More lists with this book...

Polly
I was near-obsessed with this book when I was about 16. If I remember it correctly, it's a pretty gritty and disturbing version of the Orpheus story.
Ava
reading this was like listening to music
Abraham Alvarez
Orfe

I recently read Orfe by Cynthia Voigt. The main characters are Orfe and Yuri and Enny. As Orfe’s business manager, Enny sees Orfe and her band, three Graces, arrive at the brink of success and watches Orfe's dangerous obsession with Yuri. The Conflict is Yuri, with his black, tightly curled hair that hangs like the tendrils of grape vines. Yuri, with his dark eyes that look right into yours as if he doesn’t want to miss anything about you. Yuri, with problem that may be deeper and stronger
Jenni Noordhoek
I didn't think I would like Orfe as much as I did. It had gross moments. The characters weren't perfect. But they were real, raw characters who had love and hope and sorrow. And it felt very right to genderbend Orpheus & Eurydice set approximately in the 1970's with rock bands and drug houses.

It talked about music and Art, love and choice, beauty and horror - the role of the Artist and music that burns the soul.

While I still prefer the Eurydice-centric play (titled, naturally, Euridyce) by
Payton Cooke
A very interesting book to be sure. It brings the classic myth of Orpheus into a new light, a new time, a new place; and it does so in a way that gives this story its own identity without ever letting go of its origins. Wonderfully fluid and thoughtful.
Jeanette
I remember reading this as a teenager and loving it.
I see it's flaws now but it's still a beautiful, disturbing story that I'd recommend my teenage self to read.
Lynn
This is really a young adult novel, but it's one of the few books I can't bear to part with. The first time I started it (around the age of 13), I found it too unsettling, but something later brought me back. It's a modern-day recasting of the tragic Orpheus myth (with the genders of the 2 central characters reversed). Brief, angular, and somewhat disturbing, I still find this book hauntingly beautiful, for all its superficial ugliness. Love it or hate it--I doubt many people fall between these ...more
Sarah Sammis
The connection with the Orpheus myth and the story of Orfe seemed forced and made for an awkwardly told story. A much better interpretation is the Brazilian film Black Orpheus which has a much richer characterization. In the film I actually cared what happened to Orfeo but Orfe and Yuri are such poorly constructed, enigmatic characters that when they meet with their fated tragedies, I didn't care. I was just relieved that the book was over.
Rachel Triska
Bizarre and disgusting. I don't know WHAT this book was trying to say- but it definitely did not get the message across. Yes it was beautifully written- but it also made me question the state of the author's mental health.
Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
I don't remember a great deal of the middle of this book. But her ability to throw up on cue and the random end of this book have stuck with me. Mostly disatisfied with it, I have a weirdly nostalgic feeling for how sad it was.
rr
Jan 22, 2012 rr added it
I've read Orfe a number of times since its publication in the mid-1990s, and every time I do, I notice something new. It's one of my favorite renditions of ancient myth for a young audience.
Famousfae
Strange, disjointed but also somewhat touching. Has some foul language. Can be read in a few hours.
Jess
Interesting, but I didn't like it as much as her other books, not even close in fact.
Stacie
This is plainly the best book in this section... damn it ppl read this book!!
Lunaredhell
Il libro della mia infanzia. Ancora adesso mi prende da paura!
Angela Basista
Angela Basista marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Gabriella M
Gabriella M marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Christina Cervantes
Christina Cervantes marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
  • I Had Seen Castles
  • Alias, Vol. 3: The Underneath
  • The Rag and Bone Shop
  • First Kiss (Then Tell): A Collection of True Lip-Locked Moments
  • Miss Clare Remembers and Emily Davis (Fairacre Series #4, 8)
  • Lucy Crocker 2.0
Cynthia Voigt is an American author of books for young adults dealing with various topics such as adventure, mystery, racism and child abuse.

Awards:
Angus and Sadie: the Sequoyah Book Award (given by readers in Oklahoma), 2008
The Katahdin Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Anne V. Zarrow Award, for lifetime achievement, 2003
The Margaret Edwards Award, for a body of work, 1995
Jackaroo: Ratte
More about Cynthia Voigt...
Homecoming (Tillerman Cycle, #1) Dicey's Song (Tillerman Cycle, #2) A Solitary Blue (Tillerman Cycle, #3) Jackaroo (Kingdom, #1) Izzy, Willy-Nilly

“...a really good friend, the kind of friend who - when they were together both of them were more able to be who they really were.” 4 likes