Start by marking “Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog” as Want to Read:
Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog

Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog (Amazing Indian Children)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  945 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Published February 1st 1987 by Baker Publishing Group (MI) (first published June 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog

Veronica
Sep 10, 2010 Veronica rated it really liked it
Ok, please, ignore the cover art on this book- the other illustrations are great, and I'm sure the cover illustrator was trying their best :)

Om-Kas-Toe is the retelling of stories passed down for generations through the Blackfeet tribe about the lives of Blackfeet children in the early 1700's. The lovely thing about this book is that it is devoid of Western interpretation: it does not have the 'pitiful native' slant, nor the 'idealized native' slant. This is their culture, their lives, and there
Laura Verret
When Tall Woman gave birth to the twins, it was the will of the tribe leaders that only one be allowed to live –the boy. Men, warriors, are more important than squaws, and it should not be that Tall Woman’s attention is divided between the boy and the girl twins. But Tall Woman pleaded for the right to keep both of her children. She said that she could nourish and care for both of them. Finally, the elders agreed to let her try – but if the boy suffered, the girl must go.

Tall Woman labored hard,
Karen
Mar 08, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Reading a-loud for CC1 wk 18 and 19 (started at the end of wk 17 :)...krb 2/19/16

Jacob rates 4 stars, Ellie and Mom 3 stars..krb 3/3/16
Stephanie
Aug 29, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids LOVED this book! We read it as part of our Sonlight Core D home-school curriculum. It is scheduled for 2 weeks, but they finished it in less than a week. They were begging me to keep reading. Highly recommend.
Robyn Groth
Mar 08, 2015 Robyn Groth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds, 2015
As a book from which a child can learn about a time and culture, this was okay - 2 stars. But as a novel, this suffers from an ignorance of basic rules of writing fiction. You know, rules about showing instead of telling, author intrusion, not having shotguns in one act unless they're fired in another. All that stuff. As a novel - one star. I gave it the higher rating because somehow my children liked it.
Angie
Jun 03, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: "life changes dramatically for the Blackfeet people in the early 1700's when a twin brother and sister discover a stange animal and succeed in bringing it back to the tribe."

My Review: This was a re-read from when I was a kid. It has been so many years since I read this book and it was great to read it again. I love the way Thomasma presents Native American history in stories and pulls young readers into the books. I found myself not being able to put this book down. The events that ta
Jodi
Jul 30, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book we read for homeschool. It was interesting, but I am not sure of its value in our curriculum. There wasn't a lot here.
Michelle
Sep 25, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naya Nuki, still my all-time favorite, but did enjoy this book as well.
Mel
Aug 19, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ds gives this book a four star rating, because it sucked him into the story. I didn't like how repetitive it was. But I suppose for younger readers this is good.
Tall Woman is the mother of Twin Boy and Twin Girl and she must plead to keep them both. She must prove that both babies will not be a burden to the tribe. Old Man allows her to do just this, because she has always been a good person in the tribe never complaining and always doing her work.
This is a story of how the elkdogs (horses) com
Charsia
Dec 07, 2015 Charsia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, its awesome! :D
Mar 20, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The is a unique book about 2 blackfeet Indian children. This historical fiction book is based on actual legends still told around campfires today. It details the life of this tribe before they got horses, and how it changed after horses became a part of their life. In this story, the blackfeet twins were instrumental in capturing the first "Elk-dog" (their name for horses) This was a good beginning for our homeschool studying early American History.
Erin
Aug 28, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Z loved this book. I liked it...
Mar 23, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
This was a good read aloud. It was a bit slow at first, but my children found it very interesting. This story is about two young Blackfeet Indian Children who have amazing adventures together. They discover and help capture the tribe's first "Elk-dogs" (horses). This was a good start for our new year of American History in our homeschool.
Adam
Oct 10, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Excellent elementary-school-age adventure novel that opens up history in a very memorable way. Episodic, involving, and just a tad sensational (but that's a good thing, here). Perfect for horse lovers and/or adventure lovers.
Jrbeutin
Oct 12, 2014 Jrbeutin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Om-kas-toe was another favorite!
Violet
On an old reading list...estimated to have been read in 2006.

Ummm, yeah, lets just say this book was not my thing. To be honest I remember nothing about it, except that I was very resistant about reading it.
Mary
This was required reading for school. We ended liking the book more than we thought we would. We liked the ending. It didn't leave us hanging.
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ages-10-12
A wonderful glimpse into Indian life! This is also a great survival story about a brother and sister finding food and shelter in the plains.
Perfect for ages 7-11
Mckinley
Mar 10, 2016 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides some facts and theories about life for the tribe before and just as horses are getting introduced within the context of a story of two twins.
Brooke
Jul 22, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first 'reader' Hannah will read this year. I really enjoyed it. The characters aren't terribly fleshed out, but it's a kid's book.
Ty Froman
I like this book because it about an Indian boy and his crow. He comes across many scary situation and also discover horses!
Leslie Conner
Dec 28, 2011 Leslie Conner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
What a great writer. This is a great book for third and fourth grade.Very readable, adventure coming of age story
Madeline Stone
One of the books I read during my "indian phase", this was definitely one of the better ones.
Savanna
Jun 07, 2008 Savanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i hated this book. it was hard to read cause it was in native american drawings.(just kiding!)
Maria
Jul 27, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Naya Nuki, keep going, Om-kas-toe, Pathki Nana, Soun Tetoken.
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book.I don't know why.But I do know that I liked it.
coeli
Jul 06, 2009 coeli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all of these books by kenneth thomasma are very good !!!!!!
Joette
Apr 09, 2012 Joette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet story about twin Blackfeet American Indians.
Nancy
Jan 14, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My family has an autographed copy of this book!
Skye
Sep 02, 2011 Skye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Cute book about Indians. Good for kids.
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • Pedro's Journal
  • North American Indians
  • Toliver's Secret
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • The Great Turkey Walk
Kenneth Thomasma is a professional storyteller and writing workshop leader who lives in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
More about Kenneth Thomasma...

Amazing Indian Children (10 books)
  • Amee-Nah: Zuni Boy Runs Race of His Life
  • Moho Wat: Sheepeater Boy Attempts A Rescue (Amazing Indian Children)
  • Doe Sia: Bannock Girl and the Handcart Pioneers
  • Om-Kas-Toe of the Blackfeet (Amazing Indian children series)
  • Takini Lakota Boy Alerts Sitting Bull