Start by marking “Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog” as Want to Read:
Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog

Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  684 ratings  ·  26 reviews
life changes dramatically for the Blackfeet people in the early 1700's when a twin brother and sister discover a stange animal and succeed in bringing it back to the tribe.
Published February 1st 1987 by Baker Publishing Group (MI) (first published June 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Om-Kas-Toe Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog

Veronica
Ok, please, ignore the cover art on this book- the other illustrations are great, and I'm sure the cover illustrator was trying their best :)

Om-Kas-Toe is the retelling of stories passed down for generations through the Blackfeet tribe about the lives of Blackfeet children in the early 1700's. The lovely thing about this book is that it is devoid of Western interpretation: it does not have the 'pitiful native' slant, nor the 'idealized native' slant. This is their culture, their lives, and there
When Tall Woman gave birth to the twins, it was the will of the tribe leaders that only one be allowed to live –the boy. Men, warriors, are more important than squaws, and it should not be that Tall Woman’s attention is divided between the boy and the girl twins. But Tall Woman pleaded for the right to keep both of her children. She said that she could nourish and care for both of them. Finally, the elders agreed to let her try – but if the boy suffered, the girl must go.

Tall Woman labored hard,
Stephanie
My kids LOVED this book! We read it as part of our Sonlight Core D home-school curriculum. It is scheduled for 2 weeks, but they finished it in less than a week. They were begging me to keep reading. Highly recommend.
Michelle
Naya Nuki, still my all-time favorite, but did enjoy this book as well.
Mel
Ds gives this book a four star rating, because it sucked him into the story. I didn't like how repetitive it was. But I suppose for younger readers this is good.
Tall Woman is the mother of Twin Boy and Twin Girl and she must plead to keep them both. She must prove that both babies will not be a burden to the tribe. Old Man allows her to do just this, because she has always been a good person in the tribe never complaining and always doing her work.
This is a story of how the elkdogs (horses) com
The is a unique book about 2 blackfeet Indian children. This historical fiction book is based on actual legends still told around campfires today. It details the life of this tribe before they got horses, and how it changed after horses became a part of their life. In this story, the blackfeet twins were instrumental in capturing the first "Elk-dog" (their name for horses) This was a good beginning for our homeschool studying early American History.
Erin
Z loved this book. I liked it...
This was a good read aloud. It was a bit slow at first, but my children found it very interesting. This story is about two young Blackfeet Indian Children who have amazing adventures together. They discover and help capture the tribe's first "Elk-dogs" (horses). This was a good start for our new year of American History in our homeschool.
Adam
Excellent elementary-school-age adventure novel that opens up history in a very memorable way. Episodic, involving, and just a tad sensational (but that's a good thing, here). Perfect for horse lovers and/or adventure lovers.
Jrbeutin
Om-kas-toe was another favorite!
Violet
On an old reading list...estimated to have been read in 2006.

Ummm, yeah, lets just say this book was not my thing. To be honest I remember nothing about it, except that I was very resistant about reading it.
Elizabeth
A wonderful glimpse into Indian life! This is also a great survival story about a brother and sister finding food and shelter in the plains.
Perfect for ages 7-11
Brooke
The first 'reader' Hannah will read this year. I really enjoyed it. The characters aren't terribly fleshed out, but it's a kid's book.
Ty Froman
I like this book because it about an Indian boy and his crow. He comes across many scary situation and also discover horses!
Leslie Conner
What a great writer. This is a great book for third and fourth grade.Very readable, adventure coming of age story
Madeline Stone
One of the books I read during my "indian phase", this was definitely one of the better ones.
Savanna
i hated this book. it was hard to read cause it was in native american drawings.(just kiding!)
Maria Fleming
If you enjoy Naya Nuki, keep going, Om-kas-toe, Pathki Nana, Soun Tetoken.
Elizabeth
I liked this book.I don't know why.But I do know that I liked it.
coeli
all of these books by kenneth thomasma are very good !!!!!!
Joette
A sweet story about twin Blackfeet American Indians.
Nancy
My family has an autographed copy of this book!
Skye
Cute book about Indians. Good for kids.
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • Meet George Washington
  • Pedro's Journal
  • Swift Rivers
  • Toliver's Secret
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Calico Bush
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • The Thanksgiving Story
Kenneth Thomasma is a professional storyteller and writing workshop leader who lives in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
More about Kenneth Thomasma...
Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran Pathki Nana: Kootenai Girl Solves a Mystery Soun Tetoken: Nez Perce Boy Tames a Stallion (Amazing Indian Children Series) Moho Wat: Sheepeater Boy Attempts A Rescue (Amazing Indian Children) Doe Sia: Bannock Girl and the Handcart Pioneers