Start by marking “Caravan to Xanadu” as Want to Read:
Caravan to Xanadu

Caravan to Xanadu

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
"Marco Polo hated his father with a bitterness that was unquenchable. For Niccolo had branded him falsely as another man's son. Marco knew that the only way he could get retribution was to ride a star more triumphant than his father's. So with money gained by selling the woman he loved into slavery, he bought his way into his father's caravan - boun d for Cathay and the co ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 382 pages
Published January 28th 1972 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Caravan to Xanadu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caravan to Xanadu

Mina Villalobos
Oct 05, 2008 Mina Villalobos rated it really liked it
I got this book as a present in a package of used, long forgotten old books. It was a wonderful find. Marco Polo's character is very fun and interesting, and his hardships tugged at my soul. I had a blast reading this book. From the glued-slip of my copy:

"In the Thirteen Century, Mediterranean Europe was in a passionate ferment -restlessly reaching out for new lands, new achievements, new exploits. And Marco Polo, the Venetian, was its brightest symbol of adventure.

EDISON MARSHALL - in recreati
Julie
Feb 03, 2014 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at a yard sale, and got completely suckered by my love of '50s and '60s dust jackets. Unfortunately, the book did not live up to the awesomeness of its cover - I found it to be a total slog almost from the beginning. I seem to be physically incapable of abandoning a book even if I am really not liking it, so I plodded on until the end, hoping it would get better. It didn't. Sigh.

I guess I would say my problems were that I didn't really find the characters sympathetic, and there
Micah
Jan 21, 2011 Micah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this exciting look into the life of one of history's most famous adventurer merchants. I realized, as I read this book, that I don't really know much about his life, despite the fame of the name Marco Polo. The story begins with a young Marco Polo living in Venice, and awaiting word from his traveling father whom he's never met. When his father returns with news of his visit to the great Kublai Khan, Marco's adventure begins as do his plans to return to Xanad ...more
Muriel Schwenck
Apr 28, 2016 Muriel Schwenck rated it really liked it
When I was about 15 I loved Edison Marshall. Always melodramatic. This is a fun read.
I enjoyed following the caravan on a map of Central Asia -it actually got me interested in the steppes.
Heather
May 07, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Odd. I can't regret the time spent reading it, but. It is an odd read.
Ann L. Arnold
Jun 21, 2011 Ann L. Arnold rated it liked it
I enjoyed the journey, the romance and the accurate descriptions of Asia in the period. Some of the major story elements seem completely invented. I like my historical fiction to be as historically correct as possible. But it was a fun read.
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Karen-Leigh
Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
KH
KH added it
Feb 07, 2016
Kerrie
Kerrie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Kinte Toledo
Kinte Toledo rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
John Harty
John Harty marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Valerie
Valerie is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Heidi Lusk
Heidi Lusk marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Michael Harders
Michael Harders marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Mark Lacy
Mark Lacy rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Patrick Lindsay
Patrick Lindsay marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
C Wilson
C Wilson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Missy
Missy rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Erskine
Erskine rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Sami Rabah
Sami Rabah marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Oskar
Oskar marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Shelley Peterson
Shelley Peterson rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Maeta
Maeta rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Edison Tesla Marshall (28 August 1894, Rensselaer, Indiana - 29 October 1967 Augusta, Georgia) was an American short story writer and novelist.
More about Edison Marshall...