Start by marking “Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story, 1934” as Want to Read:
Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story, 1934

Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story, 1934 (American Girls: Kit #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  980 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Millions of girls have been waiting for the debut of the newest American Girl -- and now she's here! Kit Kittredge is a nine-year-old girl growing up during the 1930s, a time when banks failed, people lost their money, and families struggled -- but Americans opened their hearts and helped each other. When the hard times hit home, Kit responds with spirit and determination ...more
Published February 6th 2008 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published September 2000)

Angela
May 07, 2013 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls 6-12
This story starts out for a wish: that Kit's Dad would get a job. But as the story goes on, she revises her wish to be more specific. It's Thanksgiving, but what can Kit give thanks for? Her Dad doesn't have a job, and she has to deliver food to a soup kitchen. But by the end of the story she learns to help be part of the solution instead of just wishing.
It really, really, REALLY irked me, though, that during the school scene, they were taught that the Pilgrims made a feast to thank the Indians
Ashleigh
In This second book about Kit, Kit and her family are still adjusting to having borders in their house. Kit now has a long list of chores to do to help her mother so they can keep the house running smoothly. But Kit hopes her father will find a job soon so that things can go back to the way they used to be, just her family in the house. A visit to the soup kitchen is an eye-opener for Kit, helping her see that there are many people worse off than she is.

The American Girl series, was one of my f
Ciara
i really liked this one. this is kit kittredge's school story. it's thanksgiving time & the kids in kit's class are getting ready for the school thanksgiving pageant. kit's class's job is to create the scenery. everyone is working away when the bully in the class starts picking on kit's friend & boarder, stirling, because stirling's father lost his job & had to leave town to look for work in a bigger city. then he starts picking in kit because her father also recently lost his job. k ...more
Mary
Kit has to put up scenery with her class for the Thanksgiving pageant. Stirling glued feathers to the back of Roger's, the unpleasant boy in Kit's class, pants. Kit pushes Roger into a ladder that had open paint on top( in the end Roger gets smothered in the paint) because he called Kit's dad lazy. Ruthie throws in comments. Her teacher, Mr. Fisher, tells them to bring food to the local soup kitchen. By the way, Kit's family is in need of money at home. When Stirling, Ruthie, and Kit go to the s ...more
Crys
This is a late primary to intermediate age range book on what times were like during the depression. Kit is a young girl that has to do house hold chores to help her parents out at their boarding house. She is not Happy that they had to take in boarders to help friends out and to make ends meet. What She does not realise is how bad things are. At school while preparing for the Thanksgiving pagent Kit gets into a fight and has to deal with her punnishment. Her punnishment along with two of the ot ...more
Becca
This is the second book in the Kit Kittredge Series.
Kit Kittredge lives during the Great Depression, and her father doesn't have a job, so her family has to take in boarders. Ever since they got boarders, Kit has had to take responsibility of many different things. She has to do chores, and she also has to help out her mother with the cooking. Kit doesn't like the boarders, but of course she can't rebel against them.
At Kit's school, everyone in Kit's class has a part in a play and they also coll
Miri
Kit's dad is still looking for work, she hates the boarders who have overtaken her house and she has so many chores she hardly has time for anything else. It's Thanksgiving time but Kit is finding it hard to find things to be thankful for, but when she has to deliver food to a soup kitchen, Kit begins to see what she does have, instead of what she doesn't.
Liesel
I really liked it. A boy in her class was sort of mean and that is how Kit got in trouble. Kit ended up going to the soup kitchen to deliver the food to the poor people. She noticed that her dad had been taking bread from the soup kitchen.
Kelsey
I think the thing that I liked best about the American Girl Dolls was that they came with their own stories. I started by getting the books, and then later my parents bought me the dolls.
Lyric Cox
this book is OK. I like how at the beginning kit has a wish that her dad will get a job and then as the book goes on she changes her wish. I like the newspaper too.
Celeste
3.5 stars. Isabelle and I read this for mother-daughter book club, it's a fast interesting read that gives a glimpse into the Great Depression.
Amanda
Kit Learns a Lesson is a great book. I noticed the book pages in this chapter boook are shiny and offer the reader a variety of small and large colorful pictures throughout the book. I think readers will enjoy the American Girls Collection of books because of the popularity of the dolls. I think children will want to read about "their doll". These books offer a great historical story. Again, I love the introduction of the characters at the begininng of the story. Also the end offers the readers ...more
Cailey Kiekintveld
In this book it shows the way her friend is rich and how that affects her and I like the felling.
Callie Stillion
Kit is upset when the biggest bully in the class, Rodger, doesn`t get in trouble for doing something that he did, in stead, Kit gets in trouble! She wanted to watch the pageant, but she winds up bringing the food basket for her class with Stirling and Ruthie. But she learns that being thankful for what you have is important. Also Kit`s father will have to move to Chicago because the depression has been so bad in Cincinnati.
Ashley
This book is one of my favorite AG books so far--Abby and I loved it. Things get worse for Kit--she gets in a fight at school and then spots her dad at the local soup kitchen. But after learning that her dad might leave Cincinnati for Chicago to find work, Kit offers a pretty creative solution and persuades her dad to stay (with some help from her Mother and her friends). And the story ends on Thanksgiving Day with Kit feeling grateful for everything she has.
Libby
This was a very good book and Kit learns how to deal with the struggles of the Great Depression. The ending is very surprising and I won't spoil it! Kit and Ruthie help at the soup kitchen and volunteer to serve meals to homeless people. Kit learns how hard it is for herself as well as the homeless people going through the hard times during the Great Depression
Tt
Kit really learns a lesson in this book and so does her father!Kit really wishes her dad gets a job soon so he will not move to Chicogo.Kits dad really should not of lied to his family,he should of told the truth.Everyone has hard times in life but when you do you still have to tell the truth even when times are rough.
Bree
My daughter desperately wants an American Girl historical doll, probably Kit. I'm reading Kit's books to see if I think this is a character I'd like my daughter to focus on. So far, Kit seems a reasonable, resourceful young girl, with spunk, but still human and makes mistakes.
Stephanie
This book was even better than the first, I thought, because it demonstrates how her family internalized the struggles of the Great Depression. Great discussions with my little girl about this! Glad she's so engaged in something this positive!
Kristine Pratt
Reality is often harsh and Kit is very young to learn it. Her family's situation is worse than she thought and she can either give up or face this new challenge with courage and creativity. I admire Kit more and more as I read these books.
Elizabeth
Lilly and I really enjoyed learning more about the depression era and how families had to sacrifice and stick together. It also emphasizes what is really important in life.
Gale
This is the 2nd book in the american girl kit series, I loved it, its a very easy read though.:-[ which I dont like that well.
Megan
I wish they would say what part of Cincinnati Kit lives in. I take her for a Westsider, but hey, I could be wrong.
Carolynne
Kit learns to appreciate the contributions of the boarders in the family home during the depression.
Faith
The second book of the Kit series, which holds surprises for the characters as much as the readers.
Wendee
Set during the depression, this story shows positive reactions to negative circumstances.
Rachel Mitchell
It was a nice story. I liked the lesson on being thankful and giving to others.
  • Changes for Kaya: A Story of Courage (American Girls: Kaya, #6)
  • Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Changes for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #6)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Kit (6 books)
  • Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)
  • Kit's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kit, #3)
  • Happy Birthday Kit: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kit, #4)
  • Kit Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kit, #5)
  • Changes for Kit: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kit, #6)
Meet Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls: Felicity, #1) Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1) Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set) Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection) Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)