Start by marking “Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story, 1934” as Want to Read:
Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story, 1934

Kit Learns a Lesson: A School Story, 1934 (American Girls: Kit #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,374 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Millions of girls have been waiting for the debut of the newest American Girl -- and now she's here! Kit Kittredge is a nine-year-old girl growing up during the 1930s, a time when banks failed, people lost their money, and families struggled -- but Americans opened their hearts and helped each other. When the hard times hit home, Kit responds with spirit and determination ...more
Published February 6th 2008 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published September 2000)

Angela
May 07, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Girls 6-12
This story starts out for a wish: that Kit's Dad would get a job. But as the story goes on, she revises her wish to be more specific. It's Thanksgiving, but what can Kit give thanks for? Her Dad doesn't have a job, and she has to deliver food to a soup kitchen. But by the end of the story she learns to help be part of the solution instead of just wishing.
It really, really, REALLY irked me, though, that during the school scene, they were taught that the Pilgrims made a feast to thank the Indians
Holly Letson
3.5*
--------------
Kit Kittredge is a tough pill to swallow. She is a self-centered brat that lives in a fantasy world, and it makes her really hard to like. She refuses to accept real-world problems, and refuses to believe that her *perfect* family can be affected by them. She also refuses to accept the boarders in her family's house as well.

However, when reality slaps her straight in the face, she finally wakes up and removes the rose-colored film from her eyes. She finally realizes that jobs
Luna
I loved it
Lyric Cox
Oct 11, 2014 Lyric Cox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is OK. I like how at the beginning kit has a wish that her dad will get a job and then as the book goes on she changes her wish. I like the newspaper too.
Maria
Jun 16, 2017 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abby
My 9-year-old daughter really enjoyed this book.
Mariarosa
May 22, 2017 Mariarosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5th-grade-girls
My 4th grade sister loves the book. She thought it was very interesting. She said the only aspect she did not like was the character, Roger. Other than that, she loves it.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ag-books, own
I like this one. It stays with you because the plot is so simple but so powerful. The feels.
Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2017 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Kit can't wait for her dad to find a new job and the for the boarders to leave. She just wants everything to be back to the way it used to be. Kit, Ruthie, and Stirling get in a fight/argument with a kid at school. For their punishment they take the class food drive donation basket down to the soup kitchen. Kit didn't know how many people suffered from the depression. she sees something that's makes her realize how bad it is, and has a change of heart.

I like the kit series so far. Though it hasn
Evelyn
Feb 21, 2017 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked when Kit stuck up for her father when Roger was being rude and saying he would never get a job. Another thing I remember about this book is that Kit went to serve at the soup kitchen with her school and she saw her Father in line! He had never told her he went to the soup kitchen because he didn't want her to be worried they were so poor but when they were home that evening, he told her when he says he's going to a "lunch meeting" he was really going to the soup kitchen. He said he was s ...more
Ciara
Oct 25, 2010 Ciara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really liked this one. this is kit kittredge's school story. it's thanksgiving time & the kids in kit's class are getting ready for the school thanksgiving pageant. kit's class's job is to create the scenery. everyone is working away when the bully in the class starts picking on kit's friend & boarder, stirling, because stirling's father lost his job & had to leave town to look for work in a bigger city. then he starts picking in kit because her father also recently lost his job. k ...more
Crys
Apr 08, 2012 Crys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
This is a late primary to intermediate age range book on what times were like during the depression. Kit is a young girl that has to do house hold chores to help her parents out at their boarding house. She is not Happy that they had to take in boarders to help friends out and to make ends meet. What She does not realise is how bad things are. At school while preparing for the Thanksgiving pagent Kit gets into a fight and has to deal with her punnishment. Her punnishment along with two of the ot ...more
Ashleigh
Nov 09, 2014 Ashleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdg-291
In This second book about Kit, Kit and her family are still adjusting to having borders in their house. Kit now has a long list of chores to do to help her mother so they can keep the house running smoothly. But Kit hopes her father will find a job soon so that things can go back to the way they used to be, just her family in the house. A visit to the soup kitchen is an eye-opener for Kit, helping her see that there are many people worse off than she is.

The American Girl series, was one of my f
Mary
Jul 10, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kit has to put up scenery with her class for the Thanksgiving pageant. Stirling glued feathers to the back of Roger's, the unpleasant boy in Kit's class, pants. Kit pushes Roger into a ladder that had open paint on top( in the end Roger gets smothered in the paint) because he called Kit's dad lazy. Ruthie throws in comments. Her teacher, Mr. Fisher, tells them to bring food to the local soup kitchen. By the way, Kit's family is in need of money at home. When Stirling, Ruthie, and Kit go to the s ...more
Becca
Jan 31, 2013 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Kit Kittredge Series.
Kit Kittredge lives during the Great Depression, and her father doesn't have a job, so her family has to take in boarders. Ever since they got boarders, Kit has had to take responsibility of many different things. She has to do chores, and she also has to help out her mother with the cooking. Kit doesn't like the boarders, but of course she can't rebel against them.
At Kit's school, everyone in Kit's class has a part in a play and they also coll
Erin
Dec 08, 2016 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-series
This book by Valie Tripp is not only a great book out of her popular series but its also a great historical fiction book for younger readers. This story is about the American Girl Doll Kit who is a young girl living during the great depression. Her father is out of work, her family has to take in boarders in order to make ends meet and she is hopeful that things will soon turn around. Kit is a great character for girls age ten and up to relate to. Young girls are able to connect with Kit because ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Kit's life during the Great Depression continues. Her father is still out of work and can't find a new job. The family needs more borders but can't find the room and there's trouble at school as one bully makes fun of Kit and one of the boarders, Stirling.

The trouble results in Kit having to take food to a soup kitchen along with Stirling and Ruthie, but things get much worse when Kit sees her father at the kitchen in the soup line.

Once at home her father apologizes and says he may
Amanda
Kit Learns a Lesson is a great book. I noticed the book pages in this chapter boook are shiny and offer the reader a variety of small and large colorful pictures throughout the book. I think readers will enjoy the American Girls Collection of books because of the popularity of the dolls. I think children will want to read about "their doll". These books offer a great historical story. Again, I love the introduction of the characters at the begininng of the story. Also the end offers the readers ...more
Callie Stillion
Kit is upset when the biggest bully in the class, Rodger, doesn`t get in trouble for doing something that he did, in stead, Kit gets in trouble! She wanted to watch the pageant, but she winds up bringing the food basket for her class with Stirling and Ruthie. But she learns that being thankful for what you have is important. Also Kit`s father will have to move to Chicago because the depression has been so bad in Cincinnati. ...more
Ashley
Apr 14, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of my favorite AG books so far--Abby and I loved it. Things get worse for Kit--she gets in a fight at school and then spots her dad at the local soup kitchen. But after learning that her dad might leave Cincinnati for Chicago to find work, Kit offers a pretty creative solution and persuades her dad to stay (with some help from her Mother and her friends). And the story ends on Thanksgiving Day with Kit feeling grateful for everything she has.
Tt
Aug 12, 2012 Tt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kit really learns a lesson in this book and so does her father!Kit really wishes her dad gets a job soon so he will not move to Chicogo.Kits dad really should not of lied to his family,he should of told the truth.Everyone has hard times in life but when you do you still have to tell the truth even when times are rough.
Miri
Jul 15, 2014 Miri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kit's dad is still looking for work, she hates the boarders who have overtaken her house and she has so many chores she hardly has time for anything else. It's Thanksgiving time but Kit is finding it hard to find things to be thankful for, but when she has to deliver food to a soup kitchen, Kit begins to see what she does have, instead of what she doesn't.
Libby
This was a very good book and Kit learns how to deal with the struggles of the Great Depression. The ending is very surprising and I won't spoil it! Kit and Ruthie help at the soup kitchen and volunteer to serve meals to homeless people. Kit learns how hard it is for herself as well as the homeless people going through the hard times during the Great Depression
Ben Bartlett
Feb 05, 2016 Ben Bartlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for girls (and guys, too, but really that's not the target audience). Encourages thoughtfulness, bravery, friendship, and self-sacrifice. Kit is a wonderful little heroine and reading this book led to some amazing discussions with my kids about family, work, and generosity.
Bree
Jan 03, 2011 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: children
My daughter desperately wants an American Girl historical doll, probably Kit. I'm reading Kit's books to see if I think this is a character I'd like my daughter to focus on. So far, Kit seems a reasonable, resourceful young girl, with spunk, but still human and makes mistakes.
Liesel
Mar 13, 2015 Liesel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it. A boy in her class was sort of mean and that is how Kit got in trouble. Kit ended up going to the soup kitchen to deliver the food to the poor people. She noticed that her dad had been taking bread from the soup kitchen.
Kristine Hansen
Reality is often harsh and Kit is very young to learn it. Her family's situation is worse than she thought and she can either give up or face this new challenge with courage and creativity. I admire Kit more and more as I read these books.
Stephanie
This book was even better than the first, I thought, because it demonstrates how her family internalized the struggles of the Great Depression. Great discussions with my little girl about this! Glad she's so engaged in something this positive!
Janice
Nov 19, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 06-nancy-s-books
Have enjoyed this book a lot. Read it to myself and then to my 86 year old mother.
Alissandra D.
Jul 22, 2011 Alissandra D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love this girl!!!
Sara
Feb 23, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
  • Happy Birthday, Addy!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Addy, #4)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Kit (6 books)
  • Meet Kit: An American Girl 1934 (American Girls: Kit, #1)
  • Kit's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Kit, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Kit: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kit, #4)
  • Kit Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kit, #5)
  • Changes for Kit: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kit, #6)