Start by marking “The 101 Dalmatians” as Want to Read:
The 101 Dalmatians

The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  28,779 Ratings  ·  623 Reviews
Pongo and Missis had a lovely life. With their human owners, the Dearlys, to look after them, they lived in a comfortable home in London with their 15 adorable Dalmatian puppies, loved and admired by all. Especially the Dearlys' neighbor Cruella de Vil, a fur-fancying fashionplate with designs on the Dalmatians' spotted coats! So, when the puppies are stolen from the Dearl ...more
Published December 4th 2000 by Backpack Books (first published January 1st 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The 101 Dalmatians, please sign up.

Homer Threesixthreetwo 199 pages in my paperback Avon Edition printed in May 1976

Stacey (prettybooks)
This post is part of the 2015 Classics Challenge.

“Like many other much-loved humans, they believed that they owned their dogs, instead of realizing that their dogs owned them."

Cruella de Vil is enough to frighten the spots off a Dalmatian pup. But when she steals a whole family of them, the puppies’ parents, Pongo and Missus, lose no time in mounting a daring rescue mission. Will they be in time to thwart Cruella’s evil scheme, or have they bitten off more than they can chew?

WHEN I Discovered Th
Richard Derus
Dec 27, 2012 Richard Derus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud.
Kelly
Jan 03, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Kelly by: my grandmother
When I was little, I got a copy of this book from my grandmother. It was old, the cover was falling off, and the edges of the pages were stained red. I adored it, and read it several times.

Later came the various movies, first the animated version, which was enjoyable, and then the live-action movie, which was awful. None maintained what captivated me most about the story - the inner life of the dogs and their complexity.

Anyway, I was suddenly seized by the need to read it again, and couldn't fi
Manny
The part of this book I liked best was the Starlight Barking. Since reading it at age 9 or so, I have observed the phenomenon innumerable times. It's comforting to know what the dogs are really doing. Thank you, Dodie Smith, for explaining it so well.

Three or four years ago, while I was living in Sunnyvale, I saw a remarkable example of how useful the Starlight Barking can be. My friend Beth Ann has two very smart Dobermanns. Late one evening, both of them suddenly started yelping furiously, for
Phil
Feb 21, 2012 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful children's book that I read as a kid (many times) and haven't read since. I decided to read it again to see if it held up and was still fun. It definitely was an entertaining read.

When I was looking it up, I was surprised to see so many Goodreads reviews complaining of sexism or anti-feminine views presented in the book. This was certainly never anything I noticed as a kid, but then, how many kids are clued in to that sort of thing? I found myself reading to enjoy, and also to exami
Joana - Ler Com Lobos
May 19, 2015 Joana - Ler Com Lobos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cinema-tv
Que coisa mais fofa :3
Lesley
Aug 07, 2010 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a beautiful children's tale. You can watch my full review here - http://youtu.be/a7r_SJLOrJo
Heather
Jun 01, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh the joy of it. I don't remember seeing the movie as a kid (though I'm told it's the very first movie I ever saw, at a drive-in, at age 4...!) But I vividly remember reading the book when I was in 4th or 5th grade and just loving it. And I wasn't even a "dog person" as a kid (or as an adult, until the past year or so).

Anyway we read it aloud as a chapter book for bedtime last week and it was just as terrific as I remembered. The story is so delightfully British... there is something about the
Ana Rînceanu
Such a nostalgic, delightful read!

description

Glen Close as Cruella de Vil was a highlight of my childhood.

To be clear the story is actually about a family whose dalmatian pups have been stolen in order to make a fur coat and of course, I'm aware that justice needed to be served to the perpetrator. But what I fell in love with as a child was the absolute crazy that is Devil Woman.

The gender politics of this book are exactly what I expect from a novel written in the 1950s. Even if our heroes are dogs, Miss
D
Aug 01, 2007 D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a brilliant, brilliant read
*** ORIGINAL REVIEW -- August 1, 2007 ***
O happy day when during a free-reading period in Mrs. Chismar's fifth-grade class I opened an old, dog-eared (as it were) edition of this masterpiece. Smith's ability to evoke a scene and pen enchanting but vulnerable characters earns her a place among the greats. The image of the ancient colonel sharing tea with his Old English Sheepdog in their sound Suffolk country home before a crackling fire on a stormy night is my standard for domestic comfort (Mmm,
Nikoleta
Nov 20, 2014 Nikoleta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Το βρήκα σε ένα παλαιοπωλείο σε μια απίστευτα ταλαιπωρημένη ελληνική έκδοση του 1969. Μου κίνησε την περιέργεια να δω το γνωστό έργο του Disney σε πιο μυθιστορηματική μορφή, άλλωστε αυτή είναι κ η πρωτότυπη μορφή του. Όταν το διάβασα το ερωτεύτηκα. Υπέροχο. Ο ύμνος του σκυλόφιλου! Τρυφερή περιπέτεια. Μιλάει για την οικογένεια, για τη δύναμη της φιλίας και φυσικά για τη γενναιότητα, γιατί μπροστά στην αδικία δεν πρέπει ποτέ να τα παρατάς Τέλειο για τα παιδιά. Μακάρι να εκδοθεί και πάλι!
A.
Sep 06, 2013 A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-girls
Look, I have nothing against Disney. Their movies are fun and entertaining. But I just wish maybe they would give more credit to the original works that inspired them for their stories. Most people I know don't even realize that so many of their movies are based on actual books. Really, really good books.

I mean, Perdita doesn't even show up until maybe chapter 3, and she is NOT Pongo's wife. His wife's name is Missus. Why did they have to cut out Missus, that brave soul? Poor Missus. She's adora
Mary
Feb 27, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Jet
May 10, 2010 Jet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: female-author, 2010
This was one of the most sexist books I have ever read. Worse, I first read it when I was ten or so and didn't notice the sexism, which means that its ridiculous list of 'male' and 'female' attributes went into my psyche unchallenged.

According to Dodie Smith, men and male dogs are stronger, don't feel the cold, understand both numbers and words better, have a sense of direction, possess deductive powers, are inventive, loyal and brave.

Women and female dogs can't tell their left from their righ
Jason
Sep 16, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good fun adventure story, lots of peril on the dogs journey. Quite educational too, lots of tips on how to look after dogs, did you know a big male Dalmatian loves to be punched?

The book has one major difference to the movie, in the book it is Pongo and Missus, Perdita is there but as a minor character, I found I had to keep explaining to my daughter that perdita was a different dog. There was one other thing that kept bugging me during the book... the maths... I was sure there were only 100
Christy
Jul 21, 2016 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this book is amazing. Brian told me it was good a couple years ago but I dismissed it because well, it's The 101 Dalmatians. We listened to it on a couple road trips and while I got it because I thought Asher might like it, it was really Brian and I who enjoyed it. Very well written and the one we listened to was read so so well- definitely recommend listening to the audiobook version read by Martin Jarvis if you can.
Suvi
Like so many other kids, I was first introduced to the spotted dogs when I saw the Disney movie. Thinking about it now, I think part of the reason why I liked it and The AristoCats (1970) was the animation style. The sketch-like style achieved with the cheaper Xerography technique made them slightly rugged, and the only contemporary animated films I've seen that have the same tone are the ones by Sylvain Chomet. Being a cat person, I don't think I ever cherished the 101 Dalmatians (1961) as much ...more
Jaqueline Miguel
Sep 01, 2015 Jaqueline Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: minhascompras
Li este livro para o projeto do DisneyInUs, que consiste em ver um filme da Disney por mês e ler o conto/livro que lhe deu origem. Os filmes são escolhidos à sorte e no mês de Junho calhou ver o Os 101 Dálmatas. O conto que deu origem a esse filme foi o The Hundred and One Dalmatians de Dodie Smith.
Para saberem o que achei do livro e do filme podem dar uma espreitadela ao vídeo que fiz a falar de ambos e a tecer algumas comparações entre os dois: https://youtu.be/pMYG2OoyvzU
P.S. - Falo também um
Colin Kinlund
May 12, 2007 Colin Kinlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who despise Disney adaptations
A tale (har har) both sweet and tense, sinister and haunting, pure and whole-hearted. Disney reduced this minor masterpiece to the thinnest frame of its foundation. In this story you can sense the despair, feel the December frost, taste the buttered toast. Also, Mr. Dearly (who is happily married), is a brilliant accountant and mathematician who has been pardoned from income tax for life due to his services to England’s treasury, which I always found vastly more unique and interesting than some ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Kind of humorous during some scenes, but much of this novel was just filler and "cute puppy" moments; if you haven't read this book, believe me, you haven't missed much unless you're an avid fan of repetitive canine stories and animal tales. I liked the author's writing style though, really descriptive, poetic and vibrant.
Rissie
Mar 25, 2017 Rissie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dare I say it? The movie was better.
^
The perfect story for teaching children about goodies, baddies, and the power of cooperation and teamwork. This edition is also to be cherished for its copious and beautiful illustrations – and perhaps the longest-necked cat I’ve ever seen (on pg. 137).

Dodie Smith doesn’t only write a very good story; she also takes care to subliminally implant soundly advanced moral teaching into the mind of the reader/listener; for example “… the bad little boy [who had thrown a stone at the puppies] was only
Ingrid
Jan 11, 2013 Ingrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers and people in general
Shelves: for-my-children
Amazing book. I had seen the movie, a long time ago but I decided to read this book for other reasons. On my search of books to read I came across the desire to read another one of Dodie Smith's, "I capture the castle" since my local library didn't have it I decided to this one. I am so glad I made this decision since this book is magical. The way Smith writes the book is comical in a good way, I love her prose. And about the book itself, as someone already noted in the top reviews the magic in ...more
Conina
Feb 25, 2016 Conina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Обожавам "101 далматинци" на Дисни. Гледала съм го толкова много пъти, че знаех цели реплики наизуст, при това на английски!, not that I brag, hm. Разбира се, това е било по времето на ранното ми детство, когато не съм обръщала внимание на надписи, а запленена гледах как се сменяха декорите, далматински петънца рисуваха и триеха букви и така... Пак се отплеснах! Мисълта ми беше, че попаднах на "101 далматинци" по случайност и това беше една от най-щастливите ми случайности за 2016!
Книгата е ста
Laura Moore
May 04, 2016 Laura Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favourite book as a child but I hadn't read it for about 25 years. Reading it again now, as an adult and a dog owner, it was even more meaningful and magical - I could totally relate to all the inner thoughts of the dogs as I imagined my dog thinking and behaving in the same way! This was just what I needed after the emotional and intellectual battering inflicted by A Little Life. Sanity restored!!
C.A. Schmidt
Sep 09, 2007 C.A. Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was nine or ten years old. And then I read it again and again and again. I think that I could practically recite it by heart by the time I was thirteen. Its funny and loving and full of courage and kindness (as well as the inimitable Cruella de Vil). It is also full of irony and subtle humor that I only discovered upon reading it to my son . . . If you've only seen the movie, definitely try the book. ...more
Tatiana
if you've read the book, then you know that disney slaughtered it when they made the movie (both of them). the book is told from a decidedly dog perspective, but without the stupidity or cloying usually associated with talking animals. these dogs know what's up. and cruella's pretty scary and less of a caricature. good stuff.
Lyndsay
Sep 02, 2016 Lyndsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
What a fun little book. I listened to this on audiobook and I really enjoyed the narrator. It's a very quick book, only a 5 hour audiobook. If you seen the animated Disney movie, I would highly suggest reading the book. It's very similar to the movie, but with some differences. I really enjoyed this and I'm glad I found it on my library's Overdrive.
Beth
Mar 07, 2015 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was written by Dodie Smith. Yes, THAT Dodie Smith - the one who wrote I Capture the Castle. And - taking into account that I find Disney animations to be very well done - the Disney movie is better. Much better.
Cynthia Egbert
Mar 15, 2016 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
What a delightful book and story! So much better than the movie. I recommend this one highly no matter what your age.
Goodreads Librari...: Please, Add Cover To... 4 107 Apr 27, 2016 07:56AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith 1 13 Feb 05, 2015 07:15AM
Favourite Female ...: Favourite Antagonist Female Character 1 6 Nov 16, 2013 01:30PM
  • Bambi
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • Lad: A Dog
  • Lassie Come-Home
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • The Jungle Book (A Little Golden Book)
  • Sleeping Beauty: a Little Golden Book (Disney Princess)
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Uncle
  • Bedknob and Broomstick
  • A Dog So Small
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • The Little Grey Men
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • The Mouse and His Child
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
Born Dorothy Gladys Smith in Lancashire, England, Dodie Smith was raised in Manchester (her memoir is titled A Childhood in Manchester). She was just an infant when her father died, and she grew up fatherless until age 14, when her mother remarried and the family moved to London. There she studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts and tried for a career as an actress, but with little success. ...more
More about Dodie Smith...

The Hundred and One Dalmatians (3 books)
  • The Starlight Barking (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #2)
  • The Midnight Kittens (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #3)

“Like many other much-loved humans, they believed that they owned their dogs, instead of realizing that their dogs owned them.” 10 likes
“Mr. Dearly wasn't exactly handsome but he had the kind of face you don't get tired of.” 9 likes