Start by marking “Betsy Who Cried Wolf” as Want to Read:
Betsy Who Cried Wolf

Betsy Who Cried Wolf (Betsy)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  40 reviews
On her eighth birthday Betsy takes the Shepherds' Oath and is determined to be the best shepherd in Bray Valley history. Any wolf who tries to eat her sheep had better watch out. But Zimmo is no ordinary wolf—he's a hungry wolf, with a plan!

In her first picture book, Newbery Honor author Gail Carson Levine puts her own spin on a traditional tale, while Scott Nash brings a...more
Published August 30th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Betsy Who Cried Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betsy Who Cried Wolf

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon ScieszkaThe Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene TrivizasThe Wolf's Story by Toby ForwardBridget and the Gray Wolves by Pija LindenbaumLittle Red Riding Hood by Trina Schart Hyman
Picture Books About Wolves
23rd out of 41 books — 18 voters
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenThe Hundred Dresses by Eleanor EstesThe Gardener by Sarah StewartOn the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Best Kids Books for Adults to Read
41st out of 47 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Gail Carson Levine is known for her novels with clever twists on classic fairytales. Here is an entry into the picture book world, this time taking up the classic cautionary tale of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" The twist? Betsy becomes a shepherd and is very diligent in her wolf-watching duties. But when she DOES cry wolf, the clever wolf runs and hides so the adults in the town don't see a wolf and think Betsy must be lying! This happens a second time and Betsy is sent back to shepherding school so...more
Dolly
Oct 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We recently read Betsy Red Hoodie by this author/illustrator team and we really enjoyed reading it. So we were excited when I discovered that it was actually the sequel to this book. We just had to read this one, too.

The story offers an interesting twist on the classic tale of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, and after reading the story and the humorous dialogue by the sheep, we had an interesting discussion about what we thought was the moral of the story.

Overall, it's a fun story to read aloud and the...more
Ashley
Gail Carson Levine has done it again! This is such a cute book and quite unexpectedly expected. We all know the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, but this is a nice twist on the classic. In this story, Betsy is a shepherdess that lives in the Bray Valley after the unfortunate circumstance of the naughty shepherd who lied and got himself and the entire herd eaten. Betsy is determined not to let anything like that happen again. But things don't happen quite like she expected! It is such a cute stor...more
Kate
A great twist on the story of the boy who cried wolf. Instead of Betsy making up the fact that there was a wolf, she saw the wolf but the farmers did not come in time to see the wolf so they did not believe her. This was a great reminder that just because you cannot see the situation yourself it does not mean it did not happen. I also enjoyed the extra dialogue that occurred in the book that was not directly involved with the story. This would be a great story to get children involved with and a...more
Robert Moushon
Levine, G. C., & Nash, S. (2002). Betsy who cried wolf. New York : HarperCollins.

Characters: Betsy, a new shepherd. Zimmo, the wolf. The Townspeople. The comical sheep.

Setting: Bray Valley (post Boy Who Cried Wolf)

Themes: Trust, Misdirection, Misplaced Blame

Genre: CSULB ETEC 545 Class 3, ETEC 545 Folktale, ETEC 545 Motif, Lying Motif, Picture Book

Summary: A new shepherd, Betsy, is very diligent with her work. Zimmo, a wolf, threatens her herd, but when Betsy calls for help, the wolf hides....more
Cherina
Summary: Betsy just became a shepherd. She takes her new job very seriously. One day, a hungry wolf decides to trick Betsy. The wolf reveals himself to the shepherd. When Betsy calls to warn the villagers of the wolf, he disappears back into the woods. The villagers think Betsy lied and get mad at her. The next day, the wolf plays the same trick and gets the same result. On the third day, the wolf charges towards the herd of sheep. Betsy calls for the villagers, but no one comes. Right before th...more
Michaila
I love Gail Carson Levine's other books, so when I saw that she had a picture book, I had to read it. It's a great take on the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" story and is very enjoyable. There are tons of clever things in the background to notice - the blackboard at Shepherd's School, the sheep on the end pages ("there's a moral in here somewhere!") A wonderful story that did not disappoint.
Mckinley
Shepardess makes friends with a wolf. Why? Why the need to alter the nature of animals? Wild animals are not 'friends' and certainly not of what they prey upon. Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood, but this idea annoys me. What are we trying to teach children with stories like this???
Lauren Suchomski
A twist on the boy who cried wolf- In this version, Betsy is crying wolf, but she is the one being tricked! This is a cute read aloud for younger kids and a great addition to a fable unit.
Alice
3.5 Stars

This is a humorous book with a twist on the the classic "Boy who cried wolf." But in our case her name is Betsy, and she cries wolf when she actually sees a wolf.

However, when the townspeople come to help, the wolf has disappeared. Poor Betsy.. she is sent back to shepherdess school...( what she writes on the chalk board is funny --not part of the story but read it anyway)

Over all a fun story, with a good twist. so "Scan Right, No Wolves - Scan Left No Wolves, Scan straight ahead,...more
Mary
Adrienne
This is a great little book! Both the story and the pictures are really neat. Definitely a fun one to read to the kids.
Kaethe
A cute take on the classic story, you have to love the spunky Betsy.
Snorkle
Betsy is determined to be the best Shepherd, little does she know she is up against a wolf with a Plan.

I wasn't too impressed with this book. The illustrations were fairly likeable, but the storyline wasn't very interesting and I didn't think the ending was very realistic, (then again, how many children's picture books are?) Overall I thought this book was a little less then okay.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Danielle Simmons

This book is a twist off of the regular folklore tale of the boy who cried wolf. Betsy wants to be the best shepherd in town, but when Zimmo the wolf wants to throw her off and capture one of her sheep, Betsy turns to a new way to safe her sheep. She whistles and yells wolf and the town comes to save her, but Zimmo hides and they say there is no wolf. So the next time Betsy blows her whistle, no one from town comes and Betsy uses her head to come up with a great way to save her sheep.
Jackie
A retelling (?) of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, Betsy Who Cried Wolf is a story without a moral (sort-of). Betsy really does see a wolf, each and every time, but the wolf is too sly to get caught and manages to hide before the townspeople see him. Betsy gets fed up and figures it is better to make a friend of the wolf than trying to convince them of her sighting.

OH! and it is also helpful to have some delicious pies to share.
S.N. Arly
This a fun twist on the classic Boy Who Cried Wolf by an author who is no stranger to fractured fairy tales. Most of her work is for a slightly older audience, but this picture book does well with the under-5 set. The pictures are bright and colorful (eye catching) and the story has suspense, danger and a happy ending.
Christina
The old tale of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, gets a new twist in "Betsy Who Cried Wolf!". In this book you read the story from Betsy's point of view and the wolf's. Readers are able to see that things are not always as they appear on the surface; sometimes you have to do some investigation to discover the real truth.
Wes Ballou
Fake fairy tales are great pieces to introduce lessons on fairy tales. Especially ones that many kids know such as the boy who cried wolf. This is a great fake fairly tale and I very well could see myself using it to have kids write their own fake fairy tales.
Lorraine Robinson
can be used for:
- determining plot and setting
- teaching morals
- twist on the original tale
- compare and contrast to original book
- teach how to insert commentary from other characters
- teaching predictions
Suz
Those clever sheep always have something to say. "Wool on the sheep is worth more than wool in the wolf." "The pie is mightier than the fang." "A story with too many morals is like a book that won't end."
Lde212_06
This is not a book I would read aloud to the class. It might possibly be a fun and interesting book to the students, and therefore I would add it to my book shelf.
Jo
Neat twist on the "Boy Who Cried Wolf" fable. Silly illustrations, wise cracking sheep, and a hungry, lonely wolf with a plan. A charming story with a happy ending.
Ami
One of our kids favorite books. It is a really cute version of the boy who cried wolf. The kids go through weeks at a time asking for this book every night.
Challis
It is a children's book, but still it bothers me when children's author's try to make fearsome creatures out to be kind & friendly. t was pretty silly.
Shawna
I love the way this book turns the classic story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" on its head. The illustrations are charming. Just an excellent read.
Lorna
Cute retelling of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, with a girl as shepherd and a funny wolf. Loved the humor and Scott Nash captured the whimsy terrifically.
Rachel
Interesting book about morals in stories. Has a great plot line that could be used to teach about plot and setting, but also has great sequencing.
Brittany White
I like that the main character is a girl doing what is typically a boy job. She is wonderful at it! A new spin on the traditional story.
Tiffany
This one was very cute with an 8-year old shepherd who teaches the town a lesson and makes friends with a wolf. Spoiler alert, LOL!
  • The Wolf Who Cried Boy
  • You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
  • The Princess Knight
  • Beegu
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo...more
More about Gail Carson Levine...
Ella Enchanted The Two Princesses of Bamarre Fairest Ever The Fairy's Mistake