Start by marking “The Dream Tree” as Want to Read:
The Dream Tree
Preview

The Dream Tree (Serendipity)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Patti Caterpillar is curious about what life as a beautiful butterfly is like as she spins her cocoon on the branches of the Dream Tree.
Published November 11th 2002 by Price Stern Sloan (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Dream Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dream Tree

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Gnome From Nome by Stephen CosgroveMuffin Dragon by Stephen CosgroveMorgan Morning by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop by Stephen Cosgrove
Books to Grow Up With Level 1
61st out of 88 books — 6 voters
Serendipity by Stephen CosgroveButtermilk by Stephen CosgroveDragolin by Stephen CosgroveFlutterby by Stephen CosgroveLeo the Lop by Stephen Cosgrove
Serendipity Series
23rd out of 70 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela Oliver
One of the earlier Serendipity books (1974), this one left me feeling somewhat unsatisfied. I understand that it is a children's picture book, aimed at the 3-5 year old market, but how can a caterpillar's mother also be a caterpillar? Also, there was no clear moral message.

(From Wikipedia, this is the moral: Though it is sometimes hard to wait, growing up comes soon enough.)

The illustrations are no less charming, however, with the butterflies appearing very stylised and the colours nice and bri
Hanim
Sep 23, 2008 Hanim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, young children, anyone!
Recommended to Hanim by: my father
This book in particular has very special meaning to me, and is one of the few books that sparked my interest in reading. My father used to read this book (amongst a few others) every night when I was little, and I in turn read it to my sister and brother as they grew up. Now my husband and I read this to our daughter at least once a week..

This is one of the most magical books EVER. I love this story for so many reasons - mostly to love yourself as you are and that things do change, and usually f
Rose Goodwin
This book is good for teaching about metamorphosis; however, it uses cocoon when it should use chrysalis. Moths come out of cocoons. The author has a wonderful way with words/language.
Jamie Tedesco
A great, vivid story about a caterpillar that is discovering that he will one day be a butterfly. The picture were great at showing depth and point of view.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any child.
I never get tired of these books, they are some of the best story time choices for kids of all ages.
Natalie Weber
This was a great story about a the secret of becoming a butterfly. This would work for all grades.
Julia Brumfield
The words were interesting and very descriptive while the illustrations were a bit on an unequal part some of the other of the series.

The main things that threw me on this book was the fact that her mother was a caterpillar while it never said when she would change. And I also didn't like the fact that she said that she would tell all her friends after she became a butterfly what happened after the change but when she did she actually turned away the first caterpillar to ask her. You would th
Thewildjamman
Feb 16, 2014 Thewildjamman marked it as to-read
Can we buy books here and if so how?
Alexis
I understand this book is supposed to be about "waiting to grow up" but I really felt the book could have ended better.
I also felt that the little caterpillar was completely justified in being upset about the first butterfly not answering her, the butterfly could have said something, anything, instead of ignoring her and flying off! It's very rude to ignore someone who is very clearly speaking to you, even if they are only a "child".
Ashlyn Barker
Story about a caterpillar wondering what being a butterfly feels like. It's very descriptive language and would be good for science lessons.
J
Book about not spoiling the mysteries of life for someone else. Perfect for older preschoolers or young grades. One of my favorite thing about Cosgrove's books are the illustrations.
great little story that definitely sparks an interest in my little girl's imagination.
Kimberley Mccaw
recommend to any child, one of my very favorite books growing up
Cowgirlgem
Cowgirlgem marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Relanni
Relanni marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Yeeting Lau
Yeeting Lau marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Noddy Goes To The Fair (Noddy Classic Library)
  • The Market Square Dog
  • Little Miss Giggles
  • Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories
  • Mister Dog:  The Dog Who Belonged to Himself (Little Golden Book)
  • Little Bo
  • My Goodnight Book
  • A Kiss Goodbye  (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #3)
  • The Gnats of Knotty Pine
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • Dear Children of the Earth
  • ABC ZooBorns!

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra (reissue)
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé
  • Crickle-Crack (Serendipity)
  • Dragolin
Serendipity Leo the Lop Flutterby Morgan and Me (Serendipity) Bangalee

“...she fell into a long sleep, and dreamed he dreams of the dream tree.” 18 likes